Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ The Ramarian Crisis ❯ Chapter 4: Reinforcements ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Ramarian Crisis

By DarkHorse

Chapter 4: Reinforcements

Situation Room, White House, Washington D.C.

T he President of the United States dropped the stack of imagery onto the conference table and massaged the bridge of his nose with his fingers, lifting his glasses in the process. "My first question is," he said addressing the Joint Chiefs, the Director of Central Intelligence, and a couple of astrophysicists whose names he forgot. "How the hell is it possible that we were able to decode a message from an alien race whose 'spaceships' are just outside our solar system?" The people around the conference table looked at each other, trying to see who was going to provide the answer. In the end, it was the Director of the National Security Agency, Carl Parson.

"Well, I guess I should answer that question," Parson said, leaning forward, his hands clasped in front him. "First of all, there's really no guarantee that the translation you see there is accurate.

"Our computers simply broke down the alien message into some sort of mathematical equation and from there compared it to all of our written languages, past and present. The resulting logogram that the computer formed out of the message resembled the ancient writings of the Behistun. They were an ancient people who inhabited a western part of what is now the nation of Iran.

"But," Parson took a deep breath before continuing. "As you can see from the imagery, there is good reason to believe that the translation is fairly correct, that is, with regards to the actual letters used. Of course, we still need to interpret what the message really means." Parson nodded to an aide who then toned down the lights and projected on the big screen a four-word message:

SND LAM CAP WRMHL

"By adding what we think are the few missing letters," Parson continued, the missing letters insinuating themselves into the message so that it now read:

SENDING LAM CAPTURE WORMHOLE

"As you can see, this alien race means to send someone or something to capture a 'wormhole'," Parson turned to look at each face around the conference table. "That they mean to capture something, I think, means we need to seriously consider this race as hostile. Now, if you would take a look at this," Parson took a satellite photo from his stack of imagery and tapped it with a finger. "It looks like they've already sent us 'LAM'."

"Are we sure these things are headed for Earth?" the President asked to no one in particular.

"Mr. President," the Director for Operations for the Joint Chiefs (otherwise known as J-3) answered. "Based on the data we've collated from all our observatories and most particularly the Hubble, we know, that unless their trajectories change, they are definitely heading for us. Based on our calculations, they will hit Japan."

The last bit of information clearly stunned everyone around the table. "When," Greg Caster, White House Chief of Staff said, his voice hoarse all of a sudden.

"Approximately forty-eight hours, sir."

"My God." It was almost a whisper from the President but those very same words were screaming in every other person's head. After a very pregnant pause: "What defense do we have against them?"

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, General Roger Masterson, cleared his throat. "Mr. President, these capsules are traveling at speeds faster than the speed of light. Even if we are able to accurately aim a missile at each one of them, which we can't, I don't think it will have any effect at all."

"Mr. President," it was the Director of Central Intelligence this time. "All indications show that these are not explosive devices. Based on the message, if it is to be believed, they might contain tools or equipment or something that will help whoever is already here to capture the wormhole, whatever that is." That got the President nodding.

"So what is a wormhole?" The President asked, his composure returning. All heads turned to the two astrophysicists seated at the far end of the table.

Joan Rumsen's throat suddenly went dry. With a glance at her companion, Bill Winters, she answered. "Sir, theoretically, a wormhole is a, for a lack of a better word, shortcut in space. Wormholes are not natural, that is, they are created. However, to create one would require a huge amount of power and energy in quantities we, as yet, do not have the capability to generate."

"That doesn't really make sense, Miss--" the Chief of Staff held out his hand for her name.

"Rumsen," was Joan's immediate reply.

"Miss Rumsen," the Chief of Staff continued smoothly. "If we do not have the technology to create a wormhole, why would these aliens think we have one?"

"I'm afraid I don't have the answer to that one, sir." Joan deflated. Why couldn't they ask an easier question? she thought darkly.

"Well, if we can't stop them," one member of the Joint Chiefs offered. "We might as well give them a welcome they won't forget."

"What do you propose, General?" The Chief of Staff beat the President to the question.

"I propose that we inform Japan of this, and strongly urge them to allow us to help them contain these aliens."

"And what should be the composition of our 'welcome'?" the President asked.

"Mr. President," it was General Masterson. "We have the Third Fleet standing by. That's so far the only thing we can bring to bear in the two days that we have."

"Um, excuse me," Joan was raising her hands like a pupil asking a teacher for permission to speak. All heads turned to her. Joan cleared her throat as she lowered her hand, all of sudden feeling very nervous. "I was just, um, thinking that if these aliens were not hostile at all, what kind of impression would they get with the 'welcome' they get from us."

"Miss Rumsen," the President replied. "They may not be hostile as you say but I would much rather err on the side of our safety." With that he stood, bringing everyone around the table on their feet as well.

"Mr. President," General Masterson said, waiting for the command he knew his Commander-In-Chief would give.

"Order the Third Fleet to Japan."

"Yes, sir."

"Greg," the President said looking at his Chief of Staff. "Let's get me on the phone with the Prime Minister of Japan."

* * * * *

Hikaru opened her eyes and for a moment, she was blinded by the brightness of her surroundings. When she felt that her eyes were already adjusted, she opened them once again and found herself looking up at the most beautiful clear blue sky ever. After a while, her brows furrowed. This can't be, she thought. Without moving her head, she used her eyes to scan the sky. True enough, she could make out the Crystal Mountains floating in the air high above in the distance. She also realized that she was still in her bedclothes and that she was lying down on a bed of flowers in what appeared to be the middle of a meadow. I don't remember opening a portal to Cephiro.

Slowly, Hikaru stood, scanning her surroundings trying to identify her exact location on the planet. After a while, she gave up. There were simply too many places in Cephiro that looked like this. As puzzled as she was to be in the world where she was the Pillar, the beauty and serenity of the place brought the inevitable smile to the bubbly redhead. She took a deep breath, reveling in the pureness of the air. She was tempted to just open a portal to the palace but decided against it. There was a lot of time to do that. Besides, she was not in the mood to be treated like royalty. She was content to walk around leisurely, barefooted, simply to enjoy the wonders of Cephiro's nature.

After a few moments, Hikaru found herself at the edge of a cliff overlooking a fairly large village. She was surprised to see one almost fully developed. She had thought it would take a lot longer than this to rebuild and yet here before her very eyes was a complete, thriving community. She stood there transfixed on the scene of harmony below her. So engrossed was she on the village that she almost didn't notice the huge shadow that passed over her, slowly approaching the town below.

Puzzled, she looked up and gasped. A huge spaceship, many times larger than the village, was passing overhead. For several immobilizing seconds, she stood there not knowing what to do or think. It was much larger than even the NSX that Eagle commanded! She looked from the spaceship to the village below, hoping against hope that this was a peaceful vessel. No sooner had she completed thought when a blast of light escaped from the spaceship, almost blinding her. In a space of a second, the town that was alive and thriving was completely obliterated! In its place was a smoldering, blackened crater.

"NOOOOO!" Hikaru screamed. Her eyes narrowing, without a second thought, she focused all her energies on the spaceship and raised a hand towards it. "Flame Arrow!" she cried out her spell…and nothing. A stunned Hikaru brought her hand towards her and looked at it. She took a deep breath and tried again, raising her hand towards the evil craft. "FLAME ARROW!" Still nothing.

"What's going on?!" Hikaru cried aloud. The spaceship, which was slowly moving forward, away from her, suddenly paused. And then, to Hikaru's horror, it turned towards her. She took a reflexive step back. Her legs felt as if they were rooted to the ground. With a strength borne out of the will to survive she was able to lift a leg to turn and run, run away from this abomination. Just as she was about to complete a turn, she saw the same blinding light that destroyed the town lance towards her. Hikaru screamed--

--and woke up. Hikaru found herself in a sitting position on her bed, soaked in sweat, panting like she had just completed a hundred meter dash. Her eyes were still squeezed tight but she detected a presence, causing her eyes to fly open. Before her, a few meters from her bed, was a cloaked figure holding a wooden staff that was taller than him. Instinctively, she drew the covers up to cover herself up to her neck. "Who--who are you?"

To her amazement, the cloaked figure knelt on one knee. "Princess," the figure said. "I came to warn you."

"How did you know who I am? How did you get in here? Warn me of what?" Hikaru shot question after question to the stranger in dark clothing.

"You will know the answers to your questions in due time, Princess," said the man who was still kneeling before her, head down. "Please listen to me, Princess. Earth and Cephiro are in danger."

"Danger? What kind of danger?" Hikaru asked. The stranger was about to answer but he suddenly raised his head and cocked an ear. All of sudden, the door to her room swung violently open. The cloaked figure instantly dissipated in a puff of light wispy smoke just as the door would have hit him. The light was also suddenly switched on, casting the entire room in a brightness that caused Hikaru to shield her eyes with an arm.

"Hikaru! Are you alright?"

Hikaru lowered her arm. "Elder brother, Masaru, Kakeru!"

Both Masaru and Kakeru rushed to the both sides of their petite, redheaded sister. "We heard you scream," Masaru said, taking his sister's dainty hand in his.

"All sorts of frightening thoughts entered our minds," Kakeru said, taking his sister's other hand in his.

Hikaru smiled. Her brothers were really protective of her. "Masaru, Kakeru, I'm okay. Really." She looked up at her eldest brother, Satoru, who was impassively watching.

"Was someone here with you, Hikaru?" Satoru asked, his eyes boring into his sister's sienna brown eyes.

Hikaru was visibly taken aback by the question. Instead of answering, she attempted to dodge it. "What makes you think that Elder brother?"

Satoru's eyes didn't waver as if to tell her that he knew she was hiding something. But instead of pushing, Satoru smiled. "Oh nothing," he shrugged. "I can get paranoid sometimes."

Masaru and Kakeru shared a look. Paranoid? Since when was Satoru paranoid? Both brothers looked back at their baby sister. With a tap on her hand, Masaru rose. "Well, if you need anything, Hikaru, please don't hesitate to call on us."

"Yes, Hikaru," Kakeru said. "Don't hesitate." Both Masaru and Kakeru bent at the same time and planted a kiss on both Hikaru's cheeks causing her to blush slightly. With one final look, both brothers left the room, passing Satoru, out through the door.

When both Masaru and Kakeru were out of the room, Satoru took a step back towards the door, his hand on the light switch. "Would you prefer the light on tonight?"

"That's alright, Elder Brother. You know I'm not afraid of the dark," the redhead smiled. "It was just a bad dream, that's all."

"Very well. Good night then." Satoru turned off the light and gently closed the door.

Alone once more in the dark, Hikaru waited for the cloaked figure to return. When the stranger did not materialize after several minutes of waiting, she allowed herself to fall back on her bed. Who was that? And how did he know about Cephiro and me? So many questions swirled around in the pretty redhead's mind, which kept her awake for several more hours before exhaustion took hold over her. Just as she was about to close her eyes, her thoughts drifted back to her dream. Was it really just a dream…or was it a vision?

* * * * *

Fuu adjusted her glasses on her nose for the umpteenth time as she reviewed the contents of a web page on her computer. Being a Saturday morning, she was, as usual, in front of her home computer trying to determine exactly where Cephiro was in relation to Earth. And just as usual, she was not getting the information she doggedly sought. Instead, she was able to learn of a few puzzling developments in the news.

The first one was that the United States' biggest fleet was actually just a stone's throw away from the gulf of Japan. It was so close that one would be able to see it just standing in any one of Japan's eastern coasts such as in Ch­­ōshi, Katsuura or Kamogawa. That may not have not been very strange were it not for the fact that Japan's very own Self-Defense Forces were also in the fray. The official report said they were doing a joint military exercise.

The second development was a rumor circulating around the Internet that an alien invasion was imminent. This was accompanied by pictures that were disturbingly authentic. They showed numerous capsule-like objects flying through space purportedly headed towards Japan, of all places.

Having actually been in an "alien" planet, she could not quickly dismiss these news items. Furthermore, according to Miss Hikaru, the three of them were currently being stalked. The very thought brought shivers down Fuu's spine. A very private person by nature, it didn't bode well on her peace of mind to know that someone was watching her every move. Are all these things related?

Fuu thought to call both Miss Hikaru and Miss Umi but decided against it. They were going to see each other later that day anyway. Better to not worry them unnecessarily.

* * * * *

Rear Admiral Joshua Parker, Battle Group Commander of the Third Fleet, was looking at imagery similar to what Fuu was looking at, albeit taken just hours earlier. The capsule-like objects had not changed their trajectory, which was both good and bad. Good because at least he and his battle group were here to meet the threat head-on. Bad because they all would rather not face an opponent they knew absolute nothing about except that they possessed technology to fly at warp speed.

Parker turned to his Science officer. "Do we have aspect ratio on these bastards yet?"

"Not yet, sir, but I expect we should be getting it any minute now," replied Chuck Tyler. He handed his Commander a pair of goggles, the kind worn when watching a test explosion or a rocket launch.

"What's this for?"

"Well, if those sons-of-bitches don't slow down and hit our atmosphere at their current speed…let's just say that the resulting blast will be several hundred times brighter than an atomic explosion," said Tyler in a matter of fact way causing the Rear Admiral to look at him eyebrows raised.

"Jesus."

"Yeah, I know."

"What about the Japanese?"

"That's being taken care of, sir," replied Tyler, looking straight into the horizon. "The Japanese are already broadcasting non-stop on TV and radio, urging the citizens to stay indoors and to not look at the sky."

Parker was still shaking his head at the gravity of the situation when an ensign came into the bridge and handed him a piece of paper. Parker thanked the man and examined the message.

"Aspect ratio?" asked Tyler, looking expectantly.

"Yeah." Parker lifted the scrambler and punched a button. He spoke on the phone for a few minutes before turning back to his Science officer. "It's almost show time."

Chuck Tyler took a deep breath and looked out the bridge onto the deck of the aircraft carrier. The flurry of activity down there picked up several notches. In the distance, he thought he could hear the big guns of the nearby ships adjusting to aim at an unseen target. He also knew that their cruisers would be opening their missile bays in preparation for launch against the extraterrestrial invaders.

He knew that there would be two waves of fighter jets that will be deployed to meet the threat in the sky. Each pilot was given a special augmentation to their goggles to shield their eyes from what promised to be a spectacular light show that will sure to greet them when he or she took to the air. Every gun and missile bay in their considerable arsenal will launch, as a final defense should the first two waves fail in stopping the intruders.

"How much longer?"

* * * * *

"Six hours," was Crata's monotonous reply to her leader's question.

Rogo was silent for a moment. After a while, he turned to Grat. "Send a message to Lam and tell him that the earthlings know he is coming," Rogo ordered. Then after a moment's contemplation: "Tell him to head to our alternate rendezvous point."

"Wouldn't it be better to show these puny humans how much better we are?" Dasma said, obviously anxious for battle.

Rogo merely looked at her then turned once more to Grat who was also waiting for a reaction from Rogo. "Do it," Rogo ordered once more. Grat nodded once and bent over his computer terminal to compose the message to Lam. Dasma snorted derisively and then stomped out of the room.

"Do not mind her," said Crata, as she walked over to Rogo. "She is young and impetuous."

"That could very well be her undoing."

"Perhaps."

* * * * *

"You're not going out of this house, and that's final."

"But Dad," pleaded Umi. "Fuu and Hikaru are waiting for me."

"Listen to your father, Umi," Umi's mom walked up just behind her husband. "It's all over TV and radio. We are being asked to stay inside the house and not even look out our windows."

Umi looked at her parents and sighed. She couldn't disobey them. "Oh alright! I'll just call Hikaru and Fuu," she said, her shoulders slumped as she walked to her room. Upon reaching it, she closed the door, sat on her bed and picked up the phone. She wished she could just call on her best friends using her mind but it looked like only Hikaru had the ability to do that.

"Hello?" was Hikaru's very distinguishable, high-pitched voice.

"Hikaru!"

"Umi! I was about to leave the house but my brothers wouldn't let me."

"I know. My parents wouldn't let me leave either," wailed Umi. "Listen, just hold on and I'll call Fuu so we can all talk."

"Don't bother. I'll just 'call' both of you," Hikaru promptly hung up as soon as she said this. "Umi?"

"Wow," Umi exclaimed, seeing her petite friend clearly in her mind. "That was fast." She saw Hikaru smile brightly.

"I'm getting better at it."

"I'll say," Umi said, hanging up the phone and crossing her arms, trying to project to her bubbly leader just what she thought about that.

"Miss Umi! Miss Hikaru!"

"Hey Fuu!"

"Hi Fuu."

"So it appears none of us were allowed to leave our respective houses." As always, Fuu loved to state the obvious but it was one of those things that totally endeared her to her friends.

"Do you have any idea what's going on?" Hikaru asked anxiously.

"As a matter of fact, I do," Fuu replied. The two others could see her going through several pieces of paper. "I believe that we are about to be invaded by aliens." Fuu finally found what she was looking for. She dropped the rest of the stack and turned the remaining piece of paper she was holding so that both Hikaru and Umi could see.

"What in the world are those?" Umi asked, peering closely at the picture printed on the ordinary paper Fuu held.

"Well, nobody really knows, Miss Umi," Fuu said, a touch of worry in her voice. "At any rate, these objects are heading towards Japan. And from the looks of it, it will be any time now."

Umi focused on the Fire Knight. "Hikaru, isn't there something you can do about it?"

Hikaru appeared surprised by the question. "I haven't really thought about it. I mean I'm not so sure I can do anything about it at all. And even then, wouldn't it raise too many questions?"

Both Fuu and Umi knew what she meant by that last question. It was obvious that Hikaru would have to visibly use strong magic to dispel the invaders. Something that everyone in Japan would be bound to notice.

Hikaru turned to Fuu. "Does it seem like a lot of people will be hurt? I mean are those things like bombs or something?"

"I'm afraid, Miss Hikaru, that I do not know the answer to that question." Both Hikaru and Umi saw their bespectacled friend deflate. "Although, I do not think they are bombs otherwise our government would have surely told us to evacuate."

"That makes sense," Umi said. "I guess there's nothing to do but wait then."

"Hey guys," Hikaru began, her head lowered. Umi and Fuu traded a look. Their petite best friend had that look about her. "I had another dream last night." Both Umi and Fuu took deep breaths and prepared themselves. Hikaru's dreams tend to be harbingers of trouble.

* * * * *

Lam had already been awake for two hours when the message from Rogo arrived. It came as little surprise to him to know that the earthlings have been alerted of their presence. To him, it was not that important.

Lam stretched, trying to work out the kinks in his muscles. Lam was lying face up inside his capsule. Fortunately, it was big enough to allow small movements such the bending of knees and the raising of arms. Unfortunately, it was still uncomfortable to be so cocooned.

Using his mind, he commanded his onboard computer to hail the other capsules. Immediately, all twenty-nine members of his team reported in. It appeared that everyone was in good shape and survived the long hyperspace journey. That was good because they will have start moving quickly the moment they landed on Earth to avoid detection. His mission was clear to him: capture the girl or girls that were able to open a wormhole at whatever costs.

Once again, using his onboard computer, he programmed a new course heading. He verified the coordinates before saving it and simultaneously sending it to the other capsules. The computer chimed an acknowledgement to his command.

Satisfied that everything was in order, he forced himself to relax. His capsule had just passed the planet known to Earth as Mars.

* * * * *

"Four more hours, Mr. President," General Masterson announced. "The objects have just passed Mars."

"Amazing," Joan Rumsen whispered to her companion, Bill, when she heard that. Bill merely nodded, clearly understanding why Joan thought that. Using Earth's current space and rocket technology, it would take at least a year to reach Mars from Earth. These aliens will cover that same distance in less than four hours.

"The fleet is in place?"

"Yes, sir, it is."

The President took his eyes off the huge TV screen showing in split screens a graphical depiction of the capsules' trajectory and the real-time view of the United States' Third Fleet just a few hundred miles off the coast of Japan. He turned to look at his Chief of Staff. "I used to think the United States was very powerful. Against something like this…" the President's voice trailed off. The Chief of Staff could only shake his head in reply.

* * * * *

Meanwhile on Cephiro, Lantis was looking intently at the cloud-covered sky. Beside him was the diminutive Master Mage Clef. "Is it me, Master Mage, or did the clouds just suddenly appear?"

"It seems that our Pillar is having problems," said Clef sagely.

"I wonder how she is." Lantis turned to look at the mage.

"Unfortunately, we do not possess the ability to communicate with her from here." Clef's eyes have not left the clouds.

"We can however send a signal."

"I prefer not to use that signal unless there is an emergency."

"Master Mage--"

"This is not an emergency, Lantis," Clef calmly but firmly reminded the magic swordsman. "Please have faith in her. She can take care of herself."

Lantis turned back to look at the clouds. Yes, he should have faith in Hikaru. She is after all, the Pillar. And a very powerful one at that. But still…

* * * * *

Lt. Col. Jack Thompson, known by his handle "Black Blade", was finally in the air together with his flight of seven. Waiting was not one of his strong suits. But here he was where he belonged, at one with his fighter jet. His, together with ten other flights, comprised the first wave that will meet the alien threat head-on. The second wave was composed of fifty jet fighters both from the USAF and Japan's SDF plus a gaggle of Blackhawks and Apaches also contributed by both forces.

"Falcon One, this is Eagle Five." Black Blade recognized the voice of one of the radarheads aboard the AWACS aircraft that guided the first wave.

"Go ahead, Eagle Five," he replied.

"Target is still on current trajectory bearing two-niner-zero. ETA is 20 minutes."

"Roger that, Eagle Five." With a flick of a finger, he switched channels to address his flight. "Flight," Black Blade called on secure radio. "This is Falcon One, tighten up your formation. We're heading in guys. Afterburners on my mark." He waited for each pilot on his flight to acknowledge his command. When he got it, he took a deep breath. This is it. "Mark!"

As one, all seven jet fighters streaked through sky with renewed speed towards their target. After just a few seconds, sixty other jet fighters followed suit.

* * * * *

Hikaru's fists were clenched at her side as she continued to gaze at the sky. The communications channel between the three Knights was still open. For a long time they all remained silent, absorbing the tale Hikaru had just told them about her dream. Most disturbing also was the description of the strange man who appeared in her room shortly after the dream.

"Hikaru," Umi finally called out, noticing what the First Knight was doing. "You shouldn't be looking out the window."

"That's right, Miss Hikaru," Fuu's concern was evident on her voice. "We were explicitly told on TV that we are not to look up at the sky."

"Something's coming," Hikaru said, almost inaudibly. She was still looking steadfastly outward.

"What's coming?" queried Umi, aware that the redhead was referring to something more than the objects they saw on Fuu's picture.

"I don't know. But I can feel it…them."

"What are we supposed to do?" It was Fuu's turn.

"I don't know," was Hikaru's only reply.

* * * * *

Two minutes before entry.

Rogo and his team were driving like mad towards the center of Tokyo. Fortunately, because of the continuous television and radio broadcasts urging people to stay indoors, there was hardly any traffic. Rogo was driving a huge black van with Dasma and Crata in the back, while Grat was driving an identical van just behind him in a high-speed convoy.

"They're not slowing down, are they?" Dasma asked Crata.

"No, they're not," the raven-haired, technology officer replied. The computer she had in front of her was closely tracking their inbound comrades, as well as the counter-measures the earthlings were mounting against them. For all the good it will do them, Crata thought.

Although Crata was relieved that their days of endlessly stalking three fourteen-year-old girls would end, she was almost equally uncomfortable with working with Lam and his team. Lam was the first-born son of Supreme Commander Drak and he had an arrogance about him that exceeded what warriors normally had. It was unnerving to say the least. Nevertheless, she had been itching to get her hands on the three girls, particularly the Shidou girl. She seemed to be the leader and the one that registered the greatest level of energy. Like any good scientist, she was curious. And here now, was her chance to get to the bottom of this particular mystery.

Dasma, who was seated across from Crata, was also relieved but for a different reason. She was a warrior and she was itching for something else entirely. Lam's arrival, she was sure, would give her the chance to finally test her fighting skills for real.

Rogo brooded while driving in the near empty highway towards the western part of Tokyo. He knew that as soon as Lam arrived, he would have to give up his command. As a warrior, Rogo had nothing but respect for Lam's fighting prowess. But as a leader and as a thinker, Rogo had no kind words to describe him. Nevertheless, he had no choice. Lam outranked him and his loyalty to the race was paramount. He would just make sure that Lam didn't do anything to jeopardize their survival.

Rogo turned his head slightly towards the back of the van. "ETA?"

* * * * *

"Sixty seconds, Mr. President."

The President merely nodded. All eyes in the Situation Room were glued to the large television screen. The camera projecting the image was directed at a point in the sky where the entry would happen. Tiny dots, which everyone knew were the first wave of their defense, could be seen edging closer towards the invisible spot in the sky were more than twenty invaders were expected to make their entrance.

"Mr. President," General Masterson said, standing beside his Commander-in-Chief. "Your helicopter and Air Force One are standing by to take you to KNEECAP…just in case."

The President turned away momentarily from the screen to look at the General. "I don't see why that's necessary, General."

"It's standard procedure, Mr. President," insisted the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. "I did say 'just in case'." The President merely nodded and turned his attention back to the huge television screen.

* * * * *

Thirty seconds.

"Falcon flight, this is Falcon One," Black Blade called. "Prepare to fire on my mark." He glanced at his radar. Each fighter had a target already. He had to wait for just the right moment. The objects were still outside Earth's atmosphere but at their current speed, they should be within range in three…two…one…

"I have tone…Fox-Two!" All seven aircraft loosed their first salvo towards a target that was invisible to everyone's eyes save for their radars. In less than three seconds, there were over sixty missiles in the air from different flights flying in from various vectors.

In another five seconds, a second salvo of over sixty missiles was loosed. This was repeated several times until all seventy aircraft had fired all their missiles. Contrary to orders, they continued to fly in the direction of their missiles, eager to see what damage their weapons of war would do to the unknown enemy. There were over 250 missiles streaking towards the targets; approximately eight per inbound object. So confident was each fighter that the enemy didn't stand a chance. None of them realized how wrong they were.

Black Blade had just fired his last missile and watched it streak away from him accelerating up to five times the speed of sound. "Falcon flight, if we're gonna watch this show, you all had better make sure you've got your special visors up." He followed his own advice and activated the newly installed sunshield, throwing the entire cockpit several shades darker. He hoped the other flight leaders had the good sense to tell their team the same thing.

His various gauges and dials were lit automatically. Black Blade watched the radar closely. They timed it closely. The first salvo of missiles should hit the inbound targets just as they enter the atmosphere. Any second now…

* * * * *

Ten seconds.

The tires on both vans screeched as both Rogo and Grat floored the brakes. The doors to both vans burst open even before the vehicles had stopped moving. Rogo, Grat, Dasma and Crata ran to the center of Yoyogi Park and were a little surprised to find people there. All were looking up, exactly the opposite of what their government had asked them to do. Conquering these people should be a cinch, thought Dasma, shaking her head.

All four were carrying large duffel bags containing long overcoats intended to disguise their arriving visitors. They needn't have bothered.

* * * * *

Five…

"Something's not right," Hikaru said, her voice almost inaudible.

Umi and Fuu were holding their breath. Although not as sensitive as their leader, the open channel allowed them to feel what the Fire Knight was feeling. None of them could identify what it was but a sense of foreboding was very quickly overcoming them.

Umi was in her room, seated on her bed, facing away from the window. Fuu was at her desk, in front of her computer, her eyes seeing beyond the information that flowed on the monitor. Both could see the dotted sky through Hikaru's eyes. All three felt frustratingly helpless to stop the evil that was about to befall them.

* * * * *

Four…

Lam was focused on his computer monitor as, he was sure, all twenty-nine of his comrades were also doing. They could all clearly see the oncoming missiles. None of them considered them any threat at all. Without warning, the bodies of all thirty warriors were rotated so that they now faced down.

"Jammers on," Lam mentally commanded his onboard computer. A high-pitched chime came back as an acknowledgement. That should make things a little more interesting, Lam smiled to himself.

* * * * *

Three…

"Uh oh," Chuck Tyler uttered and turned to look at his Commander.

For a split second, Rear Admiral Joshua Parker was immobilized by the look on his science officer's face. He immediately picked up the radio and practically yelled into it. "All fighters! Evasive maneuvers, NOW!"

* * * * *

Two…

All the missiles that were in the air rushing towards the target were the newest of its kind. Each was equipped with long-range infrared seekers that tracked the heat signatures of the oncoming targets. The jamming activated by Lam scrambled the little red eye on each missile. As a safety precaution, the missiles were designed to detonate when their targets were lost. And this they all did causing a spectacular fire show in the sky, just two seconds before they would have hit their targets.

* * * * *

One…

The pilots were well trained. As soon as they heard the call on their radio to perform evasive maneuvers, they all did so in one impressively uniformed move. Some went up, others went down, still others down starboard, and others down port. But all of them made the mistake of first deactivating their sunshield.

At that instant, all the missiles exploded. The resulting blindness was something all the fighter pilots would have recovered from shortly. But the inbound targets chose that same moment to make their entrance. None of them were able to close their eyes soon enough and each pilot felt extreme pain in his occiput. This was further exacerbated by several extremely loud cracking sounds, each several thousand times louder than thunder.

The immediate reflex response was to bring the hands up to grasp the head and ears in an attempt to somehow stem the pain. With very little exception, the pilots lost control over their jets causing them to collide with others in midair. Others just simply spun uncontrollably causing their engines to stall and freefall towards the unforgiving ocean. The rest of the aircraft that may have survived were ploughed through by thirty super-heated capsules, causing many of them to be thrown several hundred kilometers in every direction, the speed and violence of the passing breaking apart all the jets, killing their pilots long before the individual pieces of aircraft and bodies hit the ocean.

There were few who were able to eject. Black Blade was one of them. By the time he reached the zenith of his ascent where his parachute opened, he was already mercifully unconscious.

* * * * *

Despite the special goggles, Rear Admiral Parker was still blinded by the light and deafened by the thunderous sound that followed. The same was true with every single crewmember that had the grave misfortunate of witnessing the event. Those who chose to watch out on the deck were all down, writhing and screaming in pain either from the eyes or ears or both depending on whether they were wearing protective goggles.

By the time the fleet commander was able to haul himself up from a kneeling position to look out, the invaders had vanished. The only clue Parker had as to where they went were several smoke trails, all leading into mainland Japan.

"God save us," Parker breathed and promptly vomited.

* * * * *

Hikaru had already averted her eyes just before the entry of the alien objects. Because she was several kilometers inland, the accompanying thunder-like sound was not as deafening but it did nevertheless leave her ears ringing. Her eyes were wide open, although unseeing. The shock of multiple deaths completely stunned her. A single tear rolled down her eye.

"Hikaru," Umi said, wanting to reach out to her friend. "Are you okay?"

"No," the redhead said. The way she said it caused her two friends to mentally glance at each other nervously. "I'm not okay." Hikaru slowly raised her head to look out her window once again, her eyes narrowing. Gripping the windowsill with both hands, she made a vow. "They will pay for this."

* * * * *

"Well?" There was an edge to the President's voice. The screen that they had been watching showed nothing but static. Almost every member of the Joint Chiefs was on the phone trying to get information to the Commander-in-Chief.

Finally, General Masterson came forward with a piece of paper in his hand. "These are still unconfirmed reports, Mr. President."

"Tell me," the President ordered.

"According to this, all radar and communications equipment went down just as the aliens entered the atmosphere."

"Can't we get the Battle Fleet commander on the phone or something?"

"That's what we're trying to do, Mr. President," General Masterson replied as he glanced at one of his aides on the phone.

"I can't believe this happened," the President complained. "Even CNN can't get anything." The President then whirled around to face the general. "You don't suppose the entire Third Fleet is destroyed…?"

General Masterson had already considered this. "I'm afraid I don't have the answer to that, Mr. President."

The President ran his fingers through his hair. With an air of defeat, he flopped down on his seat. "I hate waiting."

* * * * *

Rogo and his team watched as Lam and twenty-nine of his companions floated downwards. Each of them was equipped with a jet pack, which was emitting a continuous stream of thrust. Presently, Rogo found himself face to face with a grinning Lam.

"That was quite an entrance, Lam," observed Rogo dryly.

"Well, you know me," Lam replied cockily, tapping Rogo's chest lightly with the back of a hand as he moved to survey the park they landed on. The entire area was littered with unconscious humans. With two hands, he gestured expansively towards the bodies that lay immobile on the grass. "Such weaklings," Lam said, shaking his head in amazement.

"Well, these weaklings will recover soon enough," Rogo said walking past the still amazed Lam. "I suggest we leave here immediately. We have a mission to fulfill."

"Yes, of course!" Lam finally tore his eyes away from the prostrate earthlings and followed Rogo. The rest of the assault team followed suit.

* * * * *

Lantis stood outside the palace in the pouring rain. The sound of the multiple raindrops hitting the ground was occasionally punctuated by lightning and thunder.

Master Mage Clef had long since left him alone with his thoughts. He looked up at the darkened sky, not bothering to shield his face from the downpour. After a while, he lowered his head. Just before he turned to enter the palace, a single sound escaped from his lips.

"Hikaru…"


NEXT:

Chapter 5 - An Assault on the Pillar


AUTHOR'S NOTES:

C&C are very welcome. Please e-mail them to darkhrse0714@yahoo.com


DISCLAIMER:

Magic Knight Rayearth and all the characters in that anime/manga are properties of CLAMP. These are used here without permission.