Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ The Ramarian Crisis ❯ Chapter 9: Best Laid Plans ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Ramarian Crisis

By DarkHorse

Chapter 9: Best Laid Plans

Aboard the Starship Weret, Thousands of Light Years Outside the Solar System

Higon was outside Drak's personal quarters. He stared warily at the hatch that stood before him. It had been days since he last saw the Supreme Commander. He knew that he was never quite himself since that day when the hyperdrive motivators exploded on this starship. He became more and more recluse, refusing to come out of his quarters. Lately, Higon learned that Drak had also begun to refuse food or drink. This was most unusual. Ramarians rarely became sick and Drak was far too young to die of natural causes.

Finally he received a summons from the Supreme Commander, requesting him to come by his quarters. Now here he was. He didn't understand his own reluctance. Higon shook his head to try to shake off the sense of foreboding he was feeling. With a final nod, he stepped up to the hatch. The computer, having recognized the visitor, automatically opened the door. Higon stepped in. It was dark and the air inside stank of unwashed biological matter. The scientist's eyes automatically adjusted to the minimal light. As he turned towards the bunk at the far end of the rather spacious quarters, he gasped inwardly.

Supreme Commander Drak was sitting up, reclining on the headboard and watching him all this time. It was Drak all right but it was only a shadow of the once mighty and proud warrior. The creature on the bed was shriveled up, old and weak. The eyes, which on a normal Ramarian should be burning a bright yellow, was now of a brownish hue.

Higon stepped closer until he was standing at the foot of the bunk. "Supreme Commander," he said in a whisper as a way of greeting.

"Esteemed Scientist," Drak acknowledged in a strangled voice.

"What has happened to you?"

"It's over for me, Higon."

"How is this possible? You are much younger than I am, and yet…"

"I have no wish to see our race perish, scientist."

Higon scowled. "What foolish talk is this? Our race will not perish."

"It will if I remain in command."

"Rubbish!" The scientist exclaimed. He paused when he realized what he was doing. He was trying to encourage Drak to live. Didn't he hate the Supreme Commander? Didn't he think of him as a fool, unworthy of leading what remained of their race to the Promised Land? And yet here he was, urging the poor fool to get up and continue on as the leader.

Drak smiled weakly. "What are you doing, Higon?" He asked as if reading the mind of the scientist. "Am I to believe that you actually want me to continue to lead this army?" For once Higon found himself without words. Drak drew a shaky breath, closing his eyes briefly before opening them again. "My time is over, Higon. My kind of leadership is over as well, I think. I have come to realize that in order for our race to survive, it will need people like you."

Higon's eyes actually widened at those words. "Exactly what are you saying?"

"I'm saying that from this point on, you are the Supreme Commander," Drak stated simply.

"You can't be serious."

"Oh but I am."

"But Drak--"

"Enough! I am tired. Leave me to die in peace, scientist." Drak smiled at his baffled visitor, for once enjoying the fact that he was the one inflicting torment on the scientist.

Higon frowned and then stiffened his back. "Very well, Supreme Commander," he said formally. "Before leaving I would like to extend my gratitude in behalf of the race to--"

"Enough of that! Just go!" Drak used some of his remaining strength to shout out his displeasure. The last thing he needed was more platitudes. He was aware of his own contribution to the survival of the race. He certainly didn't need this sniveling scientist to remind him of that.

"As you wish, Supreme Commander Drak," Higon said resignedly and then turned to leave. Just before exiting the room, he turned his head for one final look. He raised his fingers to his forehead in one final salute before finally leaving.

Higon stood once more outside Drak's quarters. It was one thing to be pronounced as the new Supreme Commander by the previous one, it was another to recognized as such by the remaining crew. He knew the second in command, Prono. He seemed to possess more intelligence than Drak. Perhaps there was hope. Higon walked slowly towards the control center.

Within minutes, he arrived. Every crewmember in the control center was standing in attention, their eyes all focused on him. "What's going on here?" Higon asked.

Prono stepped forward and saluted smartly. "Welcome to the control center, Supreme Commander Higon." Higon stood shock still. Did he hear the words correctly? Prono smiled. "We heard Supreme Commander Drak's final words, Sir. We are honored to have you as our new Supreme Commander." Prono stepped aside to reveal the command chair that Drak occupied when he was present.

On wobbly knees, Higon slowly made his way to it and sat down gingerly. Although the chair was extremely comfortable, it felt awkward. Prono walked up to the front so that he was now facing Higon once more. "What is your first command, Sir?"

The new Supreme Commander thought for a while. "My first command is this: prepare a funeral detail. We will honor Supreme Commander Drak."

Prono snapped in attention and saluted once more. "As you wish." He walked away in the formal gait of a warrior and disappeared behind the new Supreme Commander.

Higon watched as the starship's crew took up their positions as if nothing new had happened. His expression grew somber. The survival of the race was solely up to him now. This was what he had dreamt of. To finally be free to forge the destiny that every Ramarian deserved. Even though he himself was not a warrior, it was a warrior's heart that beat inside of him. He will conquer Earth and all its neighboring planets.

* * * * *

Detective Investigator Ryouko Hashimoto sat nervously in his car gazing at the mostly empty park. Under different circumstances, he wouldn't mind being here with its calm serenity, where one could go to escape the frenetic pace of Tokyo life. But not today. Today, the park represented a place of danger and risk.

Hashimoto looked down at his watch. It was almost time. Somewhere in the tree-lined greenery of the park was a man whose very nature cancelled out whatever beauty the place might have had for him. As distasteful to him as this meeting might be, it was necessary.

If he was to rise in influence, status and financial independence, he had to learn to do the things he detests. Life is like that, Hashimoto decided. You have to take the good with the bad.

Reluctantly, the young investigator stepped out of the car. He took a moment to straighten his tie, studying his reflection on the car window. This simple and innocent action served another purpose. If there were anyone lurking around watching him, he would be able to catch him doing so on the reflection.

With one final glance at his tie and another surreptitious one on the reflected surroundings, he turned and walked the pathway towards the center of the park.

When Hashimoto got there he found the man he was going to meet, the only other human being in that area of the park. It figures, Hashimoto thought, hardly anyone went to the park this early in the morning during a workday.

The man was sitting on a bench, facing away reading a newspaper. As if realizing that he no longer was alone, he stood and turned around.

"Detective Investigator Hashimoto," the man said in greeting, giving a slight nod.

"Tanaka," Hashimoto responded with a similar nod, his voice dripping with disdain. His entire demeanor screamed the desire to be anywhere but where he was right now. Tanaka's demeanor however was that of someone who had triumphed. The glint of amusement in the other man's eyes and the barest hint of a smile served to further irritate the young detective. Hashimoto was seething inwardly.

Tanaka slowly reached into his coat and pulled out a thick brown envelope. This he presented to the detective. The latter looked hard into the eyes of the Yakuza before taking the envelope. Hashimoto unceremoniously stuffed it into his own coat.

"Aren't you even going to count it?" The Yakuza asked arching one eyebrow.

"Stop playing games, Tanaka," Hashimoto said in response, stuffing his hands in the pockets of his slacks. "What do you want to know?"

"Very well," the other man said as he crossed his arms loosely on his chest, "I need to know about the kind of security you have on the three girls that were attacked the other night."

So, Hashimoto, it was Tanaka who orchestrated the attack. Part of him wanted to confirm it by asking but he knew that the Yakuza will not deign to answer and might even suspect him for not being on the level. Instead, he asked, "What is your interest on those girls?"

Tanaka scowled. "That is not your concern. Come, come," Tanaka said, shaking his head and giving a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes, "you know better than to ask questions like that. Just tell me what I need to know."

"I'm sorry," Hashimoto said even though he was not. He sighed inwardly and resignedly proceeded to disclose the security measures to the Yakuza.

* * * * *

Hikaru gazed out the window of her classroom. The teacher in front was droning on about the responsibility of Christians in today's society. Being enrolled in an all-girls' exclusive Catholic school, she was required to attend religion classes every day. She was usually fascinated by ideas of a large number of people around the world regarding a one true God. Not today, however. She had not been particularly attentive in any of her classes for that matter.

Today, her thoughts were filled with the image of the shock expressions of her brothers when they finally learned of her secret. She wondered whether she had done the right thing telling them. For the first time in her young life, she had not felt the warmth and protectiveness of her brothers.

So she was the Pillar. Perhaps even a…a…goddess of another world; Hikaru winced at the very thought. But anyway, what was the big deal? She was still Hikaru, their little sister. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't understand her brothers and was therefore feeling frustrated.

"Hey…Hikaru!" a voice on her right whispered. This was followed by a nudge.

"Miss Shidou!" The stern voice coming from the teacher finally jolted the redhead from her reverie.

Hikaru snapped her head forward and jumped noisily to her feet, almost toppling her chair in the process. "Y-yes Sister Theresa," she said, struggling to pronounce the Anglican name of the teacher.

Sister Theresa's initial scowl softened to a look of concern. Hikaru Shidou was normally attentive and enthusiastic during her classes. Today it was obvious that there was something bothering the typically bubbly girl. Before class, the other teachers have gotten to talk about it. When a normally energetic, bubbly and active student suddenly became pensive and distracted, the entire faculty would notice.

"Please sit down, Miss Shidou. And do pay attention." Sister Theresa favored Hikaru with a small smile.

"I'm sorry, Sister Theresa. I…" Hikaru paused mid-sentence as she felt a tingling sensation on her chest. She looked down and instinctively brought a hand up to where she felt the sensation.

Noticing the redhead's sudden change in expression, the teacher asked, "Is there something wrong, Miss Shidou?"

"Nothing wrong, Sister," Hikaru quickly replied, shaking her head vigorously. But there was something wrong. The tingling sensation was coming from the pendant and it was intensifying. She knew that it was probably beginning to glow underneath her uniform. The only times it did that was when Lantis triggered the power of the pendant. Could he be doing it now? Was that even possible considering he was in Cephiro?

One thing was certain. If she didn't think of something fast, Sister Theresa and her classmates were bound to notice. "Ah Sister, I'm not feeling very well," Hikaru improvised, contorting her face a little as if she was in pain, "may I go to the clinic?"

The concern on Sister Theresa's face intensified. "Of course, Hikaru." The teacher sat down and pulled out a Hall Pass from a drawer in the desk. She began filling it up and signing it. "Here, take this with you," she said, handing the slip of paper to the stricken student.

Without taking her hand off her chest, she hurriedly took the pass from the teacher's hand and quickly rushed out of the classroom. "Thank you Sister!" Hikaru said just before she disappeared.

The Fire Knight ran fast through the hall desperately thinking of a place in school that was spacious and private. She didn't know what to expect but at least if there was going to be a battle, she would have the room and privacy to engage it.

* * * * *

Lantis dropped to one knee, perspiration dripping down his forehead and face. He was outside the palace with La Farga and Ferio. La Farga dropped to one knee as well and laid a hand on his fellow swordsman.

"What is it Lantis?" La Farga queried.

Lantis took a moment before answering, trying to catch his breath. "I don't know," he said, shaking his head, "for awhile there I had a lock on the medallion but all of a sudden it became elusive as if it was running away."

Ferio, who was also there to provide moral support, narrowed his eyes. "Well, you've been doing this for several hours now. You probably need to rest and even get some food in you."

"I can't," Lantis replied, his voice hoarse. He took one more gulp of air and with a grunt, stood. "I'll try one more time," he said determinedly. La Farga and Ferio stood back once more and watched the magic swordsman raise his sword to the sky and close his eyes. Almost immediately, their comrade was bathed in various colored lights, building slowly from the ground and then finally engulfing his entire body. Lantis' sword suddenly flashed brightly. Both Ferio and La Farga had to shield their eyes using their arms. As suddenly as the flash appeared, the bright light, including the light show engulfing the magic swordsman, disappeared. When Ferio and La Farga finally opened their eyes, they were stunned. Before them was a shimmering oval portal. Their eyes turned to Lantis and noted that he, too, was as stunned as they were.

"I did it," Lantis whispered, staring fixedly at the magical window that until now, only a Pillar could create. He took a tentative step forward. He was going to take another when he felt a hand on his shoulder. This time it was Ferio.

"Lantis, are you sure you want to do this?"

"He's right, Lantis," La Farga joined in, "have you thought of what Hikaru would feel?"

"We've already discussed this," the magic swordsman insisted, "I don't care how Hikaru would feel. She needs me over there. She just doesn't want to admit it."

La Farga nodded resignedly while Ferio reluctantly removed his hand from Lantis' shoulder. Lantis turned to his comrades.

"Thank you for your support, my friends."

"Just don't get yourself killed over there, Lantis," La Farga said, his mouth curving slightly in a smile.

"Or worse, don't embarrass yourself," Ferio quipped, his smile bigger.

Lantis didn't smile but there was mirth in his eyes. He nodded and then turned to face the portal. "Well," he said almost to himself, "here goes."

Lantis stepped into the center of the portal. With another bright flash, the portal exploded into a thousand motes of light and finally disappeared, taking with it the only magic swordsman of Cephiro.

* * * * *

Malor stood wearily outside the gate leading to the Shidou residence. He had finally arrived. It had taken him days of grueling travel. He didn't mind so much the train ride but the crowd! There were so many people. He had not been around so many people for so long. Having lived the last hundred years in near isolation made it difficult to adjust to the multitudes that he had to face and endure.

But he had arrived and that was what mattered. A tear formed at the corner of his eye. He didn't realize, didn't dare dream that he would live to see the day when a new Magic Knight would be born. But not only did he live to see and speak to another living, breathing Magic Knight, he was able to see and speak to a Pillar. The image of Princess Hikaru entered his mind. To be a Magic Knight at such a tender age, no! A Pillar at such a tender age of fourteen!

He remembered that time when he was still an active Magic Knight. He was the youngest of the three…at 19! The Pillar at that time was a man who appeared to look well into his late twenties or early thirties. That Pillar, of course, was ages old already. How a Magic Knight was chosen was still a big mystery. Not even Master Mage Clef could really explain the mechanics of that particular process. Age or race didn't seem to be a matter of consideration at all. While Malor, himself, was Japanese, his two comrades were Australian and American respectively. He was almost certain that the Magic Knights that preceded them were just as diverse.

Malor's thoughts returned to Princess Hikaru. Even from his home at the foot of Mount Asama, he felt her power. It was strong and abundant. Not even the Pillar herself, he was sure, was fully aware of the magnitude of her gift. The feel of such power was intoxicating and it naturally beckoned to him. It was for this reason he was here right now.

There was another reason. A voice deep down in him told him that he had to be here. He knew there was danger. He even had the great honor of warning the Pillar of it. It was not certain what role he would play or whether he would even become useful when the time came. But he was a Magic Knight and he had a duty to perform. He was instrumental in destroying a Pillar during his time in Cephiro. Perhaps this was the redemption he was seeking, to be able to play a role in protecting a Pillar this time around.

Malor took one step closer to the gate and reached for the doorbell. He depressed the button but did not hear anything. Perhaps the ring could only be heard inside the house. He decided to wait before trying the doorbell again.

He didn't have to wait long. Presently, the right side of the gate swung slowly inward. A young man with brown hair stepped out. He was slightly taller and his features resemble those of the Pillar. A brother perhaps?

"Yes? May I help you with anything?" the young man politely queried. Even though hidden behind the polite façade, Malor could detect wariness in the young man. This puzzled the old Magic Knight slightly.

Malor bowed deeply, formally. "Good day to you, Sir. My name is Malor. Does Hikaru Shidou live here?" He straightened up and gazed into the eyes of the lad in front of him.

"Good day to you as well, Sir," the young man replied after bowing as well. The suspicion in his eyes was even more evident now. "This is indeed where Hikaru Shidou lives. What is your business with my sister?"

Malor's eyes widened. He was correct; this was a brother. What came next was instinctive. He dropped to one knee and bowed his head once more. "Your Highness! I, too, was once a Magic Knight of Cephiro."

For several seconds neither spoke. Malor raised his eyes and noticed that the Pillar's brother seemed stunned. "Y-you're from Cephiro too?" Malor nodded silently in reply. "You'd best come in here and please don't do that," he said, waving a hand at his currently kneeling form.

With ease that belied his age, Malor rose to his feet. The surprise he saw in the young man's face brought a smile to his own. "It would honor me to know your name Your Highness."

The surprise grew. "Don't call me 'Your Highness'. My name is Masaru."

"Ah Prince Masaru."

"No! No! Just, please…Masaru," Masaru looked deeply into the older man's eyes, pleading with him.

"Very well, Masaru. It would take getting used to but if it makes you feel comfortable."

"It will make me feel a great deal more comfortable, Malor. Please come inside."

Malor smiled and followed the younger man. He hadn't felt this excited since he was in his teens. He was truly looking forward to meeting the young Pillar in person.

* * * * *

For several minutes Hikaru ran aimlessly all over the school grounds earning her curious stares from her schoolmates. She noticed during all the time she was running that the pendant had actually stopped tingling. That was good news but she wasn't about to take any chances.

Finally she found the perfect place. Behind their rather large gymnasium was an empty area. It was exactly what she was looking for: a large, spacious area with no people around. She planted her right hand on the side of the gymnasium wall and leaned on it. She took the pendant out from her uniform with her left hand and gazed down at it. Nothing. Whatever it was that caused it to give her that tingling sensation must have truly gone now. But what caused it?

No sooner had the question formed in her mind did the pendant not only tingle in her hand but also begin to faintly glow at first. Hikaru's large sienna brown eyes widened in alarm. She straightened, pulling her hand from the wall. She cradled the pendant with both her hands, intently gazing into it, bracing herself for something else that might happen. The glow coming from the pendant's reflective surface began to increase in intensity gradually until continually looking at it began to hurt the eyes.

It was when Hikaru finally tore her eyes from the glowing object in her hands did she notice tiny motes of light dancing in the air. She tracked some of them with her eyes and noticed that they seemed to be pulled in a central point in space. Slowly she watched as the motes collected in front of her, building rapidly, coalescing into a ball of light.

So, Hikaru thought, it's a portal. She knew that blasting the growing ball with her fire spell would most likely stop the portal from forming. But her curiosity got the better of her. She released the pendant, leaving it to hang from her neck. The pendant was already glowing intensely, almost matching the brightness of the portal. She realized that the portal was not forming as quickly as she was expecting it would. The portals she cast were usually there almost instantaneously from the moment she willed it. It was clear to her that whoever was creating the portal was using the power of the pendant.

The Fire Knight took a few steps backwards. If whoever comes through was hostile, she will have the time and space to summon her sword and deal with the threat. After a few more seconds, the ball of light flashed brightly. Hikaru had known to expect this and was therefore not blinded by it, having shielded her eyes with an arm at just the exact moment. By the time she dropped her arm the portal had already fully formed.

How is this possible? Hikaru asked herself. Only a Pillar could create portals. She looked down at the pendant. It was still glowing. She looked up once more. She decided it was best to be ready. With a silent command, she summoned her sword. In a burst of fire and energy, her magic fire sword appeared in her right hand. She quickly drew it up in front of her, grasping it in a two-handed grip. She was ready.

The churning liquid center of the portal began to ripple. Someone was coming through. Hikaru gripped her sword more tightly, bending her knees in preparation. An image of black suddenly burst out of the portal. Even in her prepared state, she was startled and out of reflex began to swing her sword. She was further surprised when the cold steel of her broad sword clanged against another sword, one that was glowing.

She recognized that sword! Drawing back and looking down, she first noticed the black boots. Her eyes slowly traced upwards noting the swirling black cape, the gray-black armor and finally the face.

"Lantis!" Her cry and accompanying expression contained surprise, pleasure and then anger in a span of a heartbeat. The portal behind the magic swordsman dissipated almost immediately after he stepped out of it. The pendant that swung against the Fire Knight's chest stopped glowing as well.

"Hello Princess," Lantis said softly. He slowly put away his magic sword. He noted though that Hikaru still gripped hers in her hand. "Shouldn't you be putting away that sword of yours as well, Princess?"

Hikaru's eyes narrowed and raised her sword, planting its bejeweled golden tip on the swordsman's chest armor. "Just what do you think you're doing crossing over to Earth?"

"It is my duty to protect the Pillar of Cephiro," Lantis said simply.

"Well, I don't need your protection." Hikaru raised her left hand away from her. A portal flashed and formed instantaneously. "Go back to Cephiro now," she said firmly.

Lantis turned to glance briefly at the portal. "No," he said, returning his gaze to the redhead who seemed to be getting angrier by the second.

Hikaru was shocked by Lantis' refusal. He wouldn't dare, she thought darkly. "What do you mean 'no'? You cannot stay here!"

Instead of responding, Lantis took a step sideways and began walking past her. Hikaru's eyes widened, seeming to pop out of their sockets upon realizing the extent of what Lantis was doing. She dismissed her sword and ran in front of the walking swordsman. When she got past him, she whirled and planted two hands on his abdomen and pushed hard, effectively stopping him.

"You cannot be walking around in my school! Lantis!" She was looking hard at his eyes but his eyes were not looking down at hers. Instead they shone with curiosity at his new surroundings. He's actually enjoying himself!

"So, this is your school."

"Yes it is," she hissed. "Some of my schoolmates will see you!"

"So? What's wrong with that?"

"This is an all-girls' school, for crying out loud!"

"An all-girls' school? You mean there are no men here at all?"

Hikaru began to push harder, succeeding only in getting Lantis to take one step backward. "Some of my teachers are men. Other than that, no men are allowed here. Please Lantis!" She pleaded as she continued her efforts to push him back behind the gym, getting increasingly agitated by her lack of success.

"In that case," Lantis said in that infuriatingly calm and reasonable voice, "wouldn't you think it prudent that we leave the school grounds immediately?"

"No way! Take a look at yourself, Lantis. You're wearing some weird costume and a black cape. How am I going to explain who you are? Furthermore, I still have classes. I can't just leave."

The magic swordsman finally looked down at the Fire Knight. He took both of her hands into each of his own causing the redhead to cast her eyes upwards in surprise. "Hikaru…" Lantis whispered her name caressingly, gazing deeply into her sienna brown eyes.

Hikaru felt incredibly uncomfortable under his gaze but for some reason she couldn't tear her eyes away. The feel of his hands, completely engulfing hers was adding to her discomfort. The emotions and confusion she had been repressing were threatening to make themselves known. Lantis was so handsome and she realized that she missed him. She just wasn't sure whether a real relationship with him was something she was ready to explore. There were already so much that she had to adjust to. The idea of being a Magic Knight with actual magical powers was something she was just getting used to when she all of a sudden became the Pillar as well.

Sighing deeply, Hikaru decided to succumb to the feelings that were already swelling in her. She stepped closer to the tall magic swordsman; she released her hands from his grasp and wrapped her arms around his waist. She laid her face against his chest and hugged him to her. "Oh Lantis…I'm sorry for pushing you away. I'm just…confused I guess."

Lantis was surprised by Hikaru's sudden show of affection. He slowly wrapped his arms around her, stroking her hair gently. "It's okay, Princess. I'm here to help you. It is my job to protect the Pillar of Cephiro."

"But…"

Lantis silenced her by putting a finger on her lips. "Please understand that although you can probably defend yourself against direct attacks, there are several possible indirect attacks that you will not able to defend against without some help."

"Indirect attacks?" Hikaru looked up questioningly.

"Yes, attacks to your brothers and friends."

"Oh," she lowered her head, her brows furrowed in thought. "My brothers were talking about that very same thing. Oh, Lantis, you know why I don't like you to get involved, don't you?" She gazed upwards once more.

Lantis nodded somberly. "I know. You're worried that what happened with Nova might happen again. I cannot guarantee that it won't happen. What you have to do, Princess, is to distance yourself. It's not easy but you must do it. We are about to fight a war here and you cannot be distracted."

Hikaru sighed once more and cast her eyes downwards without lowering her head. "I understand what you're saying, Lantis. Everytime I remember that battle with Nova, I…it just…I don't know. I can remember being frightened that I might lose you and frustrated by that helpless feeling I had…of not being able to do anything. If wasn't for Eagle…" A tear began to roll down her cheek.

"Shhh…" Lantis soothed, wiping the tear with a finger. "I know. Listen," he tilted her face upwards with a finger under her chin so he could gaze deeply into her eyes. "You must learn to trust. I survived because I was able to free myself from Nova's bond. I was the one that told Eagle how to weaken Nova's hold on me. I can take care of myself, Hikaru. After all," he said with a smile, "I've been a warrior much longer than you."

Hikaru's face softened. She nodded slightly. "Okay, Lantis, I trust you."

Lantis' smile broadened. Their eyes held, locked in a mesmerizing gaze. The swordsman's eyes wandered from her eyes to her pert little nose to her beckoning lips.

Hikaru saw where Lantis was looking and she knew what was about to happen. True enough, Lantis' lips began its slow descent on hers. Instinctively she tilted her head upwards, wanting, needing the kiss. It was going to be her first (unless she counted the one that Nova gave him). Part of her was afraid but before that part raised any strong objections, she felt the swordsman's lips on hers. She surrendered herself to the sensations. It was different from anything she had experienced.

As if having a will of their own, her arms snaked upwards to encircle Lantis' neck. Even though he had bent considerably to make the kiss comfortable, she had to stand on her toes to reach that far upwards. She parted her lips slightly. This seemed to encourage him as he wrapped his arms around her tiny waist, lifting and crushing her to him, deepening the kiss leaving Hikaru even more breathless.

Lantis was the first to pull away. The kiss had also affected him deeply. He opened his eyes to find Hikaru's face still very close to his, her lithe body pressed close to him. He gazed deeply into the Pillar's eyes, which seemed to have changed color from sienna brown to deep burgundy. He could get lost in those pools of light. For several seconds they stared into each other's eyes. Finally, Hikaru let go of his neck but she was still looking up at him. He noticed for the first time as he lowered her gently that she was blushing. This brought a soft smile to his face. The Fire Knight reacted by tilting her head sideways slightly with a quizzical expression on her face.

"What's so funny?"

The smile on Lantis' face widened. "Nothing. It's just that blushing becomes you."

Hikaru returned the smile and cast her eyes downwards slightly then punched him lightly on the arm. Gazing upwards once more, she asked, "So, how different was kissing Nova from me?"

Lantis furrowed his brows. "What do you mean?"

"Well, Nova and I are one person. You've kissed Nova. How different was it from kissing me?"

"A whole lot different. First of all, Nova kissed me without my consent. This time, I really wanted to kiss you."

"Is that all?" Hikaru asked, a hint of disappointment in her voice.

The magic swordsman mentally rolled his eyes. Women! He said, "Not at all, Princess. Kissing you is probably the best experience I've ever had."

"Really?" Hikaru smiled, pleased. She cast her eyes downwards once more, all of a sudden feeling shy.

"Yes, really," Lantis said seriously as he brushed her cheek with a finger. "What do we do now?"

This made the Pillar frown a bit. "Well, I guess I should get you out of here. Although that will be a bit difficult since my teachers are going to look for me, not to mention my school bus." Her brows furrowed even more as she thought of a solution to her plight. "I know!" She suddenly exclaimed. "We can call one of my brothers to pick me up. Kakeru will be on his way home soon from the academy. Perhaps he could pass by, make up an excuse to take me home and then we can all be on our way."

"It sounds like a good idea. How are you going to call him?"

"Easy," she said, her eyes sparkling with mirth as she pulled out a small rectangular object, "haven't you heard of a cell phone?"

* * * * *

Hashimoto walked into the police precinct and instantly felt all eyes on him. Was he just being paranoid or did the whole precinct know of his meeting this morning? With jaws clenched he strode purposefully towards his superior, Hirota, who was leaning against a desk, arms crossed on his chest. He noted that the American agent Jenkins was standing beside him.

"So?" Hirota asked as Hashimoto neared him.

Hashimoto glanced at Hirota and Jenkins and took a deep breath. "He bought it," he said as he pulled out a tape recorder and thrust it in front of the two. Hirota and Jenkins exchanged glances before turning back the junior detective.

"Very well," Hirota said, "play it."

* * * * *

"…reducing our security to about two officers per girl, two days from now," Hashimoto's voice on the tape recorder said. Jenkins noted that the recording was very clear, clearer in fact than the quality he was used to working with at the FBI. Trust the Japanese to come up with a more innovative recording system.

"I see," the voice of Tanaka finally said after a few moment's pause, "why would you be doing this?"

"Because the department could not keep up that kind of security and surveillance for very long."

"That makes sense. I'm surprised you were able to do it at all."

"We have some help."

"The Americans you mean."

"You could say that."

Another pause. Jenkins could imagine that Tanaka was taking time to consider all the information he had gotten. He wasn't sure whether Hashimoto was convincing enough. It would have helped if Jenkins saw the detective's facial expression and body language.

"Very well," Tanaka's voice said, "thank you for the information detective." The voice seemed to be smiling. Jenkins wasn't sure whether or not some sort of hand signal accompanied that last recording.

Hashimoto pressed the Stop button on the tape recorder.

Hirota had been listening somberly during the entire recording. He turned to look Jenkins. "What do you think?"

Jenkins held his chin between his forefinger and thumb casting his eyes down as he replayed the conversation in his mind. He was trying to recall nuances in the voice of Tanaka, trying to search for clues as to what he was actually thinking. It actually flattered him that Hirota asked his opinion. After all, he was a gaijin. Finally he looked up and glanced at Hirota. His brows furrowed slightly. He had to phrase what he was going to say carefully so as not to offend Hashimoto. "Tanaka has some reservations."

"You think so?" Hirota asked.

"I can't put a finger on it but yes, I'm pretty certain he isn't buying everything," Jenkins glanced at Hashimoto trying to gauge his reaction.

"Well, we have to assume that Tanaka is very astute and he won't let his guard down just like that. He is, after all, the most successful Yakuza leader we have in Tokyo, if all accounts are to be believed, that is," Hirota remarked also watching Hashimoto's expression.

"Perhaps we should play the tape again," Jenkins suggested.

Hashimoto glanced from his superior to the American agent. He wasn't sure what the American heard in the tape that caused him to give that assessment. Perhaps it would indeed be good to listen to the recording again. "Very well," he said as he looked down and thumbed the Rewind button.

* * * * *

Joan Rumsen sat alertly beside Bill Winters at the police station. Something was up, she thought, noticing the two Japanese cops who they were with all the time, Hirota and Hashimoto. They weren't speaking rapidly or excitedly but Rumsen could sense that there was an air of…urgency in their body language. Jenkins, the FBI agent they met at the airport, had a serious expression on his face as he listened intently to the exchange.

The conversation paused as they played the tape recorder once again. Naturally, the voices were also speaking in Japanese, although she recognized one of the voices belonged to Hashimoto.

"Something seems to be happening, finally," Winters remarked dryly. He too had been bored out of his wits just waiting around for something to happen. He didn't realize police work was so boring. Considering that the high point of his day consisted of adding notations to star maps, that was truly saying something.

"You noticed it too huh?" Rumsen responded without glancing at her companion. She stared hard at the back of Jenkins' head willing him to look at her so she could ask him what was going on. She'd learned from the first day she arrived that asking or talking out of turn was deemed as impolite and disrespectful. C'mon Jenkins, she thought hard, look at me!

Finally, as if reading Rumsen's mind, Jenkins turned and caught her looking at him. Rumsen raised her eyebrows and waved her hands palms up as if to ask, "what's up?" Jenkins merely nodded, raising a hand up indicating that she should wait a bit. He then turned his attention back to the tape recorder.

"Damn," Rumsen muttered, looking away.

"You gotta be patient, Joan," Winters said placatingly, "they'll come around to telling us soon enough."

Rumsen turned to look at her companion as if seeing him for the first time. "How can you just sit there and act so…so calmly?"

Winters glanced briefly at Rumsen and shrugged nonchalantly. "I've long since given up worrying about things that I have no control over."

Rumsen glanced up at the ceiling, shaking her head. Finally, she noticed that there was a break in the conversation. She looked up expectantly and was gratified to see Jenkins walking over to her. "So?" She asked impatiently.

"We have reason to believe that the Yakuza are going to attack the girls again," he said stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"What are we going to do about it?"

Jenkins raised his eyebrows slightly upon hearing the "we" word from the astrophysicist. "There is no 'we', Miss Rumsen," he replied tersely. "I will have both you and Mr. Winters escorted back to your hotel."

"You can't do that!" Rumsen protested, jumping to her feet.

"I can and I have," the agent countered firmly.

Rumsen cast a disbelieving glance at her companion before returning it to the FBI agent. "Well, what about when the Yakuza attacks? We came here for the very purpose of witnessing the capabilities of these girls. How the hell do you think we can do that if you'll just keep us in our rooms?"

Jenkins sighed. "It's out of my hands," he said, spreading his hands palm up, pleading for their understanding.

"I can't believe this," the astrophysicist said, shaking her head. She turned to her companion but only got a shrug in return. "You're no help at all, Bill," she muttered under her breath. Well, she thought, there was no way she was sitting this one out. She was confident that she would be able to find a way to the girls one way or the other.

* * * * *

Hikaru let out an inaudible sigh of relief as they approached their gate. Getting here had been extremely stressful. She would prefer battling monsters on Cephiro than to have to endure the palpable tension between her older brother Kakeru and Lantis.

Kakeru had complained loudly upon seeing Lantis. The Fire Knight could clearly recall the expression on her brother's face when he laid eyes on the magic swordsman, especially the way he was dressed (which was another thing she had to endure during the entire trip home). She had to explain rapidly who Lantis was, where he was from, how he got here, and why he was here in the first place.

To further exacerbate the situation, she didn't realize that she had been standing too close to Lantis during their first leg of their trip back home. Kakeru, who had always been a keen observer had noticed this immediately and made a big deal out of it. The insinuations her older brother was making made her blush furiously and for the first time she could remember she felt anger towards Kakeru.

To his credit, Lantis took all of this stoically. Hikaru knew that even though the magic swordsman didn't understand a word of what they were saying, he could deduce the reasons for her older brother's aggression.

Just before Kakeru pressed the doorbell, he gave Hikaru a glance as if to say, "I'm watching you", and another poisonous one to Lantis that telegraphed the message: "don't even think about it, bud." Hikaru glanced surreptitiously at the magic swordsman. His face was a mask of aloofness, as if everything that had happened thus far had not affected him in the least. This was definitely not the way she imagined her brothers would meet her…her…oh well, boyfriend.

To her ever-increasing dismay, it was Masaru that opened the gate. Not another brother who would recklessly take everything out of context. At least if it were Satoru as she was hoping, he would endeavor to understand.

It took a few seconds for Hikaru's second brother to take in the sight of the three before focusing his attention and subsequent suspicion on the tall black-clad weirdo standing, in his opinion, too close to Hikaru.

Hikaru immediately stepped forward, interspersing herself between Lantis and her brother. "Um, hi Masaru! This is my friend, Lantis, from Cephiro." She turned to Lantis and introduced her second brother in Cephirean. Her use of a different language evoked a stunned expression on both brothers, even on Kakeru who had already heard her speak it when he picked her up from school.

Lantis stepped forward, as he had done when she introduced him to Kakeru, and bowed. "It is a great honor to meet the Pillar's brother."

Masaru's brows furrowed and turned to Hikaru.

"He says that it is a great honor to meet you," Hikaru said, her expression clearly showing that she was expecting the worse.

Masaru's expression softened somewhat and bowed as well. "Please tell him that the house of Shidou welcomes him to Tokyo." Hikaru dutifully translated. Lantis smiled amiably and nodded gratefully. Masaru stepped back to let them all in.

Hikaru smiled in relief but it died as she noted that Kakeru still had a scowl on his face. She quickly led Lantis through the gate.

"Umi and Fuu and their families are already waiting in the living room, Hikaru," Masaru said as Hikaru and Lantis walked past.

"Okay," Hikaru responded flatly. She had a feeling it was going to be a long meeting. She walked purposefully and briskly towards the house. Lantis followed wordlessly alongside her, matching her stride for stride.

Kakeru hung back. It was obvious that he was going to tell Masaru about how she behaved with Lantis. As if she did anything wrong. So she was standing a wee bit closer to Lantis. What of it? She glanced over her shoulder and couldn't help but throwing Kakeru an angry glance.

Kakeru didn't notice the glance directed at him as his head was slightly bent talking to Masaru in a low voice. Masaru's expression turned from wide-eyed surprise to a threatening frown in a space of a few seconds.

"Are you sure?" Masaru asked.

"Well," Kakeru vacillated, "I'm not entirely sure. But I'm telling you Masaru, that guy is in love with our little Hikaru."

Masaru eyed Lantis and Hikaru walking ahead of them and adopted a displeased expression as well. "Well, we'll just have to see about that."

Hikaru took off her shoes upon reaching the foyer and continued walking. Only belatedly did she realize that Lantis was no longer by her side. She turned back and saw Lantis just standing there looking down alternately at her shoes and at his boots.

Lantis looked up at Hikaru and asked, "Should I be taking off my boots as well?"

Hikaru cast her eyes beyond Lantis' shoulder and spied her brothers watching the both of them, their arms crossed across their chests and feet tapping the ground impatiently. She glanced back at Lantis and found him watching her intently.

"Your brothers don't seem to like me."

Hikaru nodded but forced a bright smile. "Please don't worry about it, Lantis. They're just being protective."

"Is that what it is?"

"Yes, of course," she replied quickly.

"Very well. Should I take off my boots?"

"Yes, please," Hikaru said in an almost embarrassed tone. "I'm really sorry for the inconvenience."

"Think nothing of it. It is custom after all." Lantis bent down and began pulling his boots off. As soon as that task was done, he straightened and stepped onto the smooth wooden floor of the foyer. "I'm ready."

"Right." Hikaru turned and began walking again. She slid open the door to the living room to find the Hououjis and the Ryuuzakis kneeling all around the table sipping tea and apparently deep in discussion.

It was Fuu and Umi that first noticed their leader. "Hikaru!" They chorused, jumping to their feet to hug her. It was when they started to pull back from the hug did they notice the figure standing behind Hikaru.

"Lantis?" Umi asked, a look of incredulity on her face.

"Sir Lantis, is that really you?" Fuu's hand was on her cheek as she took a step back.

Lantis smiled gently. "Yes, it's me."

"But how--?" Umi asked but stopped, the words lost on her lips.

"It's a long story," Hikaru said hastily, leading Lantis to the center of the living room so that everyone could see him. Hikaru stood beside him as she turned to address the people surrounding the table who were already looking up expectantly. "Everybody, this is our friend from Cephiro. His name is--" Hikaru stopped as she noticed a smiling face looking up at her that she didn't readily recognize. "M-Malor?"

Malor stood and slowly approached Hikaru. He knelt on one knee and said, "Princess Hikaru, it is truly a great honor to be in your presence."

Hikaru was completely dumbfounded as she looked down at the man who was once a Fire Knight just as she was. Finally regaining her senses, she knelt as well and hugged the surprised Malor to her. "Malor! You came!" A single tear of happiness rolled down Hikaru's cheek.

"Ah Princess…" Malor said, feeling incredibly awkward.

Hikaru rose gently holding onto Malor's elbow, helping him up. She stepped back so that Malor stood face to face with Lantis. "Malor, I want you to meet the only magic swordsman of Cephiro, Lantis."

Lantis looked down at the wizened old man and grasped his right arm. "Malor. I am honored to meet you. And may I also express my gratitude to you for helping the Princess."

Malor grinned toothily and gripped the swordsman's arm with equal fervor. "The honor is mine noble swordsman. As for helping the Princess, I was only doing my job."

"Ah excuse me…"

Hikaru was feeling all happy and giddy inside that she forgot to complete her introduction. "Oh yes," she said addressing once again the people surrounding the table, "this is Lantis, a friend from Cephiro."

Eyebrows rose all around the table.

"My," Mrs. Ryuuzaki said, "there seems to be a lot of you now from Cephiro."

"Yes, well, we had better get on with the meeting," Satoru said, bringing order to the gathering.

Hikaru led Malor back to his place on the table with Lantis following. She had the swordsman sit between him and Satoru. "Elder Brother," she said looking intently, almost pleadingly, to her eldest brother, "I'd like to introduce to Lantis, a good friend of mine from Cephiro."

Satoru was puzzled by the expression on his sister's face. He was going to ask her about it later. He shifted his attention to the newcomer and bowed. "I am pleased to meet you, Lantis."

Shifting to Cephirean, Hikaru introduced her eldest brother to Lantis. She handled the translations for the few phrases they had to say to each other. When that was done, she moved between Lantis and Malor. "I'm going to sit by Fuu and Umi," she whispered. She looked at Malor. "Malor, please translate for Lantis."

"But of course, Princess," Malor replied happily. He watched with pride as the young Princess stood and join the other Knights at the other side of the table.

Satoru allowed his eyes to sweep through the table. Satisfied that he had everyone's attention, he took a deep breath. "I would like to thank you for taking time away from your busy schedules to meet. Some of you have even come from great distances," he glanced meaningfully at Lantis and Malor.

"I'm sure all of you are now aware of the very unique circumstances of Hikaru, Umi and Fuu. What we need to assess this afternoon is what kind of danger we now all face and how we can defend ourselves. My brothers and I have given this a lot of thought, as I'm sure all of you have.

"We have ideas about how we should go about this and I would like to present them to you. If you have any ideas, please let us know and we will discuss them as well."

* * * * *

"Do you trust this Hashimoto guy?" Lam asked as he followed Tanaka into his office in the warehouse.

"As a matter of fact, I don't," came the nonchalant reply. "I think the police are trying to play it clever. I do believe they're attempting to bait us into attacking."

"What makes you think that?" Rogo, who was walking on the other side of the gangster, asked.

"It's just a hunch," Tanaka said as he opened the door to his office. He stepped aside to let his two clients enter first. The first things that Lam and Rogo noticed upon stepping into the office were three large overhead photographs hanging side-by-side. They showed three different houses and their immediate surroundings. Tanaka studied his clients' expressions and noted if they were surprised at all by what he had prepared for them, they weren't showing it. He stepped in front of them and tucked his hands in his pockets. "Those are satellite photographs of our targets' houses."

"That's quite impressive, Mr. Tanaka," Lam commented as he stepped closer to one of the photographs.

"Yes, very," Rogo added also drawing closer. He even noted the surveillance cars parked near the entrance of the house he was looking at.

"I also was able to obtain complete blue prints of the interiors of those houses," the Yakuza leader said proudly.

Lam turned to face Tanaka. "So, you recommend we continue with the mission even though you think it could be a trap." It was a statement.

"On the offhand chance that our friend Hashimoto is telling the truth, it provides us with an excellent opportunity to take the girls with minimal risk."

"And if it is a trap?" Rogo asked.

Tanaka turned to face the other. "We will plan this 'mission' with the assumption that there is a trap. I've already done some preliminary planning on how we would still be able to pull it off."

Tanaka went on to explain the mechanics of the plan, moving from one house to another. Lam and Rogo asked several questions along the way. Before long the three photographs were riddled with pen marks and notations. The entire discussion lasted for two hours. Lam and Rogo were impressed at the amount of detail covered in the plan.

"Of course," Tanaka said, winding down the session, "this whole plan will still need to be fine-tuned. Fortunately, we have all day tomorrow to do that."

"You know," Lam said thoughtfully after a pause, "I can't help but notice during our discussion that you plan to put quite a number of your own men into this."

Tanaka's face turned serious as he looked at Lam levelly. "I'm putting in twenty of my men."

Rogo's eyes widened slightly. "That's double the number of men you had in your last attempt."

"Well, gentlemen, it's a bit more personal this time. And I have a reputation to uphold."

Both Lam and Rogo nodded at this. The Yakuza already knew how many from their end will be participating. It will be a massive undertaking just to make sure that their actions were all coordinated. It was a good thing both of them were able to convinced the gangster to combine their teams together.

It was inevitable during the mission that Tanaka and his men will discover their technology and most likely wonder exactly what they were. Lam wasn't too worried about that. It the end he was just another puny human that will have to learn to bow to their new masters once they've harnessed the power to open wormholes.

"Well," Rogo said, "I guess we've covered everything that needs to be covered for today."

"Yes. I suggest we meet here tomorrow at oh eight hundred with our key people assembled," Lam added.

"Very well, tomorrow then," Tanaka agreed. The gangster watched silently as his two clients left. Why do you want those girls? he asked himself for the umpteenth time. He began to feel that tingle again at the back of his mind. It was the tingle that didn't want to go away. It was that very same nagging feeling he got whenever something was not right. He'd always trusted his instincts and now it was telling him that things were not what they seem.

It was a good thing he allowed himself to be manipulated into combining his men with theirs. It would be good to see how the others operate. At the very least, it should provide him with clues pointing to the real identities of his clients.

Tanaka turned back to study the satellite photographs. He had some more planning to do.

* * * * *

On the other side of the world, other men have been hatching plans of their own.

Tim Warner dismissed the National Intelligence Officer that brought the latest update from Tokyo. He turned to the others surrounding the conference table. "So, it looks like the local PD at Tokyo, together with our friends from the FBI, have taken the initiative."

"Do they really think the Yakuza will take the bait?" General Masterson asked to no one in particular.

Warner shook his head slowly. "I won't even pretend to know the answer to that question. I do think the Tokyo PD is crazy to pull a stunt like this. We need to get to those girls first," the DCI said that last statement emphatically. He locked gazes with each of the five others who were seated around the conference table. Three were from Masterson's camp and two were from his. All were experts in black bag operations.

Masterson twisted his head to look at the person seating nearest him. Lt. Colonel Biggs was a veteran commando of the Desert Storm campaign. He was between his late thirties or early forties but was clearly still in shape. The quiet intensity he radiated bespoke a competence that gave his superiors a high level of confidence and his subordinates a high level of respect. "How ready are we to deploy, Biggs?"

Biggs leaned forward resting his elbows on the table. "Sir, the team is assembled and ready. We're just being held back by logistics. Bringing over arms and ordinance to Japan is proving to be a challenge for our guys."

Warner and Masterson nodded. They both knew that firearms of any kind were illegal in Japan. Everyone in the room was aware that what they were attempting to do was highly illegal and that if caught, there was no way the United States is going to bail them out of it.

Warner fixed the commando with a stare. "Col. Biggs, do you understand the importance of this mission?"

Biggs didn't even flinch. Of course, he understood the importance of successfully negotiating this mission. It was a matter of National Security after all. It was also important to him on a more personal level. He wanted to make flag before the year ends and this mission would guarantee that. "I'm fully aware of the importance, Sir. We will be ready to ship out by tomorrow morning," he said with conviction.

* * * * *

What started as a civilized meeting very quickly became a verbal free-for-all with several pockets of heavy discussions happening across the table. Hikaru glanced at Satoru and winced at the expression of frustration she saw there. She swept her eyes across the table. The loudest voices were from Umi's and Fuu's parents. She didn't have to listen in very carefully to know exactly what they were arguing about. They were totally against risking the lives of their daughters. But they weren't giving any useful alternatives either. This was turning out to be a nightmare. At least her brothers understood her own need to fight and defend.

Umi and Fuu were trying their best to defend their position. They of course felt bound, and rightfully so, to defend Earth against the aliens. But their parents couldn't see beyond their own need to ensure that their daughters were safe and that the family remained intact. Didn't they see that if the three of them didn't fight and defend, their safety would also ultimately be jeopardized?

The Fire Knight cast a glance towards Malor and Lantis. Malor was keeping a running translation of a particular discussion for Lantis. How he was able to manage that above the din of the other voices, Hikaru didn't know. Hikaru caught Lantis' eyes causing her to blush slightly from the intensity she saw there.

"Hello," came an unbidden voice into her mind, startling her. She realized it was Lantis. She'd forgotten that he, too, could broadcast his thoughts telepathically.

"Lantis, you scared me there for a moment," Hikaru responded with her mind. She tore her eyes away from his. It wouldn't do for her brothers to get all riled up when they most likely will jump to the conclusion that she was making googly eyes at Lantis.

"I'm sorry about that, Princess. That was not my intention." A pause. "Even though I don't understand everything that's being said, it appears the meeting isn't going very well."

"Yeah," she replied, transmitting her disappointment along with her thoughts. "What we do?"

"Umi and Fuu must make their own decisions," the magic swordsman readily answered.

"I know. The question is, will they have the courage to make the right one?"

Any response that would have been forthcoming from Lantis was stilled by Umi's sudden outburst of frustration. All other discussion around the table stopped as all eyes focused on the blue-haired teenager standing with fists clenched at her sides, glaring down at her father.

"You're being extremely short-sighted about this, Daddy!" Tears of exasperation were welling up in Umi's blue eyes.

Not to be outdone, Umi's father slowly rose to his feet effectively towering over his teenage daughter. "You will not raise your voice to me, young lady," Mr. Ryuuzaki didn't have to raise his voice. The coldness of his voice sent chills down the backs of Hikaru and Fuu. Hikaru could see Mrs. Ryuuzaki gingerly touching the hand of her husband to try to get him to calm down.

Umi raised her eyes defiantly at her father. "I cannot just stand by when I know I can help prevent people from getting hurt!"

"At this point, I don't particularly care how you feel about it, Umi Ryuuzaki," the father said, his voice taking on a menacing tone. "As my daughter, you will do exactly as I tell you!"

Umi flinched visibly at her father's words. She tore her eyes away from the heated glare of her father's and sought out her mother's, which were clearly pleading for her to capitulate. Umi turned to look at Hikaru, trying to search for strength in the latter's eyes. Hikaru was careful to return the gaze without offering any encouragement but at the same time offering support. It was apparent from Umi's expression that she had gotten what she was looking for in the redhead's eyes. Slowly she turned back to her father as her whole being began to faintly glow. Mr. Ryuuzaki reflexively took a step back upon noticing the change in his daughter's demeanor.

"Daddy," Umi said in even tones, "I'm really sorry that you do not agree with the decision that I must make. I hope that someday, when this is all over, you will come to understand."

Before Mr. Ryuuzaki could utter a word, Umi turned on her heel and exited the room with her head held high leaving everyone in the room completely stunned.

"Umi…" Hikaru whispered her friend's name, calling out to her telepathically even as she watched her retreating form.

"I'm sorry you had to see that, Hikaru," Umi answered the call sadly. "May I go to your room?"

"Of course, Umi," the redhead replied. "I'll be with you in a while."

Hikaru glanced at Mr. Ryuuzaki. He straightened himself, glanced down at his wife, beckoning her with his eyes to stand. He swept his eyes over the others around the table. "I would like to thank you for your hospitality. If you will excuse me…" Umi's father gently took his wife's arm and looped it around his as they both made their way outside.

As the couple left, Hikaru could hear Umi's mother asking her husband what they were going to do now. She could no longer hear what the father must have answered for they were already too far. She glanced at the Hououjis. They appeared to be extremely subdued.

"Mother, Father," Fuu said in a voice that was barely audible. "I have decided that I, too, shall fight the aliens. Like Miss Umi, I cannot just stand by and do nothing."

Mr. Hououji opened his mouth to protest but a touch from Mrs. Hououji on his hand effectively silenced his objections. Fuu smiled slightly at her parents and at her older sister. She gracefully rose to her feet. "If you will excuse me, I need to comfort a friend." After getting a nod from her father, Fuu glanced at Hikaru mouthing her request to go follow Umi. The Fire Knight nodded her assent.

Mr. Hououji watched helplessly as his daughter left the room. He wanted so much to stop her just as Ryuuzaki did. But at the same time, he didn't want to alienate her. Both Fuu and her friend Umi seemed to have made up their minds about this whole alien invasion thing. The idea was totally bizarre. Even after seeing for his very eyes Fuu's transformation, he still couldn't believe any of this was truly happening.

He glanced at his wife. She had serene expression on her face. He knew that she supported their daughter's decision. If his wife could do that, he supposed he could do the same. He turned to face the host and bowed, Satoru Shidou. "Thank you very much for your hospitality."

"And thank you for your time," Satoru replied formally.

After a few more formal exchanges, the Hououjis left.

"Well, I guess that's that," Satoru said, slapping his knees and rising to his feet. He faced his little sister. "I guess that didn't turn out as planned."

"No, it didn't, Elder Brother," Hikaru agreed, looking up at Satoru, her eyes expectant.

As the eldest Shidou gazed down at the youngest, he couldn't help but be amazed at the innocence that still radiated in those sienna brown eyes. To be saddled with the kind of problems she was now faced was plain unjust. True, Hikaru had power. He saw it with his very own eyes. True, Hikaru was a sort of…goddess. (His mind rebelled at the thought.) Still, to be faced with this kind of danger…Hikaru was only fourteen years old after all.

"I'll be in the study if you need me," Satoru said. "We still need to talk about what we need to do, Hikaru." Before leaving the dojo, he reached out and stroked her cheek. Hikaru was taken aback by the gesture but immediately smiled brightly, warming up to him. So much that it surprised the elder Shidou. It made him realize that he been aloof to Hikaru and she certainly didn't deserve that. He promised himself to not do that to her again.

Just before stepping out, Satoru glanced back at the table they used for the meeting. Only Malor and Lantis remained, heavy into some sort of discussion in that strange language of theirs. "So much for planning…"


NEXT:

Chapter 10 - Casualties of War


AUTHOR'S NOTES:

This took a long time to write. It was difficult to get all the elements to blend in. And I'm still not so sure whether I did a good job of it. Oh well.

All C&C are of course welcome! I am accumulating all C&C and will make one final revision for the entire story before posting it in my upcoming web page. I may decide to post it again in FFML when that time comes.

Special thanks go to Michael Hokama who has given invaluable C&C for the previous chapters.

To all others who have also given their C&C, many thanks to you too.


DISCLAIMER:

Magic Knight Rayearth and all the characters in that anime/manga are properties of CLAMP. These are used here without permission.