Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ This Time Around ❯ You Never Know ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: When I finished watching the end to Magic Knight Rayearth2, I was completely annoyed with how Lantis and Hikaru finally announced their love to one another, then Hikaru is suddenly transported back to Tokyo. --;; I was also bugged how the animators lead me on to think the girls did return at the end of the episode by showing them at Tokyo Tower and a vision of the new Cephiro. >_<;; So, here is what *I* think should have happened at the end of episode 42 along with some extra plot and stuff. =D I own nothing but a simple hot dog stand next to my lemonade stand. Story, chapter titles, and lyrics come from the song titles and lyrics on the This Time Around US Hanson CD.

-Edited Addition

This Time Around

Chapter One: You Never Know

The sun shone brightly through the cloudless blue sky, smiling upon the residents of Tokyo. Tokyo Tower stood in noisy chatter, filled to the brim with visitors. Three young girls in different summer school uniforms gazed through the clean glass at the top of the Japanese monument; Hikaru Shidou, Fuu Hououjii, and Umi Ryuuzaki.

They had been coming often since last year, always meeting at the very same spot. Always meeting with a smile and a deep longing embedded in their crystal eyes. "I want to go back." Hikaru announced to the girls flanking both her sides. "But this time to see how beautiful it has become."

"Yes." Fuu agreed, her blonde curls shaking in a nod.

"To see how beautiful the people have made it." Umi sighed, pushing her hair off her shoulder letting it fall into a cascading wave.

The glass began to ripple and glimmered in white light. "Is it..." Hikaru gasped shielding her crimson eyes in a similar fashion as Umi and Fuu. The light brightened then faded to a soft glow revealing a lush landscape of a flourishing country.

"Could it be..." Umi lifted her hand away from her face.

"Cephiro...?" Fuu finished placing both her hands on the railing surrounding the massive tower windows.

"It is!" Hikaru proclaimed awing at its beauty. "Just to go...one more time..." She whispered as her hand reached out to the image.

"To see how everyone is..." Fuu outstretched her own hand.

"To see everyone we love..." Umi joined her hand with the others.

All three touched the glass simultaneously causing a brilliant flash of light. "This light!" Hikaru called out as it wrapped around her body. In a mater of seconds the three fifteen year old girls were pulled away from Tokyo Tower.

*~*

Hikaru blinked her eyes from the afternoon sunshine and slowly sat up. Her long braided hair drooped over her shoulder as she rubbed her eyes. "Umi-chan...Fuu-chan...?"

"Hikaru..." Umi replied from her sprawled position on the emerald grass.

"Hikaru-san..." Fuu answered already sitting up and gazing at the land.

"We must be back in Cephiro..." Hikaru observed standing up. The land looked similar to when they had first been summoned, covered in vegetation from lush bushes to fragrant flowers. The fire haired Magic Knight turned to the sky to see the floating mountain resting in the air and the volcano off to the side.

"It certainly seems so." Fuu said thoughtfully, a smile forming on her lips as she gazed at the crystal palace peeking over the top of the trees.

Umi had finally gotten herself off the ground and ran her fingers through her hair. "Oh...Fuu..." Umi snickered noticing the smile across the blonde's face. "Someone's itching to see a certain someone..."

"N-n-no Umi-san, I mean, I do want to see-" Fuu stuttered covering her flushed face with both her hands.

Umi laughed and placed a reassuring hand on Fuu's shoulder. "It's okay." Fuu only nodded her head turning a shade darker.

"Let's go find everyone!" Hikaru smiled before turning to the crystal palace in a jog. Umi's high laugh was heard again as she and Fuu followed the energetic teen across the open field and into the towering trees.

*~*

Clef sat silently in his chair, his magical staff gripped lightly in his right hand. His blue eyes stayed closed, a purple brow occasionally wiggled in a sign of tension. "Three beings have entered Cephiro." He thought keeping his eyes closed. "They feel familiar but so different...could they be..." Clef opened his eyes to see Sieara's worried face looking across from him.

"Master Mage Clef..." Sieara whispered, grasping her ornamented hands together. "Are you..."

"I'm fine." Clef smiled reassuringly. "I just felt some new beings enter Cephiro."

"I see..." Sieara replied, her green clad chest relaxed in relief that Clef was all right. "Shall we go greet them?"

"Yes." Clef said with a nod before retiring from his chair. "We will welcome them to Cephiro." The tiny magician started down the long brick red rug with Sieara at his side, her long golden hair bouncing at the slightest step contradicting his short purple hair.

*~*

The warm rays blanketed the dozing raven-haired man who was tucked neatly into the shrubs surrounding the walls of the palace. The air was unruffled by the deep heaving of his chest as sleep continued to drag through his body. Pounding steps and shrills of laughter arose the groggy napper from his dream. Despite his happiness for the new system of the land he loved, his heart dropped in sadness for his real love.

He missed the way she laughed in joyous bursts and the electric hop in her body movements. How her eyes burned like the life in her soul and the fire magic that emitted from her small hands. Her strong will, her courage, everything. It seemed like eons since he had been able to touch her outside his dreams he looked forward to every day.

Although Cephiro had become a free world without the Pillar System, it is still the world where will determines everything. Monsters appeared occasionally giving the Cephiro guards something to do. It seemed that he was allowed to dream less and less these days.

The steps and voices grew louder fully awakening the magic swordsman who sighed in annoyance. Someone or thing always seemed to be waking him. "Come on!" He heard a child like voice call out as he sat up from the bushes unable to go back to sleep.

"We're getting there!" Another called back in utter annoyance wavering in exhaustion.

"Those voices..." Lantis thought blinking the blurred sight out of his pale blue eyes.

Two figures rushed up to meet the smaller one waiting at the entrance. "Still filled with so much energy, Hikaru-san." The other replied sweetly.

"Hikaru." He whispered finally focusing on the three girls from another world. Hikaru stood smiling up at the equally happy Fuu and Umi trying to regain her composure. "Hikaru!" He called louder jumping up from his sitting position and striding out of the bushes.

"Lantis...?" Hikaru choked remembering the deep echo of his voice. "Lantis!" Hikaru cried as the towering swordsman dressed in black pushed through the bushes. Umi and Fuu watched a blur of red run up to the man leaning over with outstretched arms.

"Lantis!" Hikaru called again holding his lean body tight in an embrace. "How are you?" Lantis grunted in reply as he tried to imbed the image of his love and her scent forever in his memory.

"Lantis." Umi and Fuu greeted, happy that their "little sister" was overjoyed.

"Umi; Fuu." Lantis nodded his head in recognition as Hikaru slipped from his grasp and walked with him to the other Magic Knights.

"Cephiro looks beautiful." Fuu praised in a slight bow.

"How is everyone?" Umi asked looking up at the tall man.

Before Lantis could answer, the doors of the palace creaked open revealing Clef and Sierra. "Hikaru, Umi, Fuu!" They both cried in unison, shock sprouting in their eyes and mouths gaping open.

"Clef! Presea!" The three shouted before jumping on both of them with hugs. A worried look shook Sieara's face as Lantis and Clef gazed in uneasy silence.

"Hikaru, Umi, Fuu..." Sieara began pulling the girls away from her body. "I-"

"Ferio. Is Ferio with you?" Fuu cut in with hope etched across her face.

"Prince Ferio is not with us at the moment..." Clef replied, his voice matching his perplexed expression. "He's busy attending other matters as we speak…"

*~*

The atmosphere felt dead as puffs of haze slowly drifted through the deserted area. It seemed that it had been vacant for a lengthy period of time yet held the presence of a fully functional living being. The air wavered as a coarse laugh rang from the darkness. "The Magic Knights have returned." The darkness echoed in amusement.

"Finally...the curse will be fulfilled by the wish of Lady Debonair..." Lightening cracked from the heavens illuminating the figure hiding in the shadow. The figure sat on its haunches eagerly ready to strike after absorbing the knowledge of the Magic Knights. A set of glowing red eyes protruding from the faceless head, arched in glowering revenge, remained after the light had vanished. "Cephiro will fall!"

*~*

Ferio smiled at the high-pitched laugh coming from the girl attached to his arm. He looked down to see her eyes closed in sheer joy; her purple hair and circular yellow hair ornaments catching the light of the Cephirian sun. A white basket hung off the fingertips of the Prince proving that the two had enjoyed a private picnic in the middle of the woods.

"I'm glad you enjoyed yourself." Ferio said watching the girl lift her clear gold eyes to his.

"I'm glad you asked me to accompany you." She replied as the two rounded the bend where the palace front doors would be accessible. The two listened to the swish of her shear yellow skirts and the trample of Ferio's cream boots.

"I would have asked no other in Cephiro." Ferio winked causing the girl to smile again as they neared.

"Wait!" Came the rushed voice of Clef as the couple rounded the corner. Ferio's expression changed to wonder thinking what could cause Clef to sound so desperate. "Perhaps Sieara had spoiled his surprise…" Ferio thought with a chuckle as to whoever Clef was yelling out ran into his field of vision.

"Feri-o..." Fuu's voice dropped as she came face to face with the man she loved and another clinging to his arm. Fuu felt her stomach tatter from convulsions of rage. She had spent so much time, wasted timed, on this man. This man who seemed to have easily forgotten her and moved on.

"Fuu!" Ferio's voice trembled watching a single tear trickle down the blonde's fair cheek. "How much am I worth?" She wondered quietly to herself feeling another pain of anger for having such a ridiculous thought.

"Fuu-chan?" Hikaru questioned quietly walking up behind her.

"Fuu! I..." Ferio trailed off as the tear turned into a steady stream. He slowly began to reach out a gloved hand.

"Ferio? What's going on?" The girl asked letting go of his arm in utter confusion.

"Ferio." Umi greeted harshly in a dull whisper coming along side of Fuu. It was the first time Ferio had ever seen her eyes so cold directed to anyone that wasn't purposely trying to hurt her dear friends. Umi protectively took Fuu's arm and led her away from the devastated Prince and his bewildered companion.

Ferio stood glued to the spot, unable to move. The lilac haired girl tugged on his sleeve repeating her question as his golden eyes watched the Magic Knights stride away from him and into the safety of Sieara's grasp and the crystal palace. Lantis looked at Ferio with a blank expression while Clef's face turned frantic from the sudden turn of events.

*~*

"You walk around like maybe there's been something you've been missing...hallucinations happen in your head...this look you're giving me is not a look for kissing…something I did maybe something I said..." - You Never Know