Mobile Suit Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ Mobile Suit Gundam: Short Stories ❯ Antarctica ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Antarctica
“My god it's cold out there.” The Zeon soldier said as he ran in from the blizzard. His face was red from the sprint he made between the buildings but it wore a distinct smile. I immediately despised him. He took a spare mug from the adjacent kitchen and pored himself a cup of coffee. The television was on the news channel and I tried to ignore him.
“So,” He took a seat next to me, “What's your name?”
“Corporal Derek Watts.”
“Sergeant Rothaniel Kissinger.” He said, extending a hand. I hesitated but shook it nonetheless.
The news channel was fuzzy but the soothing voice of the female news broadcaster was clear. She had been talking non-stop about the recent battles in space and the rescue effort in Australia. Damn him and his kind. What the hell did we do to deserve that kind of attack? His cheery face makes me want to pummel it until all that was left was a bloody pulp. Although my current displeasure came from him, I utterly hated the situation I'm in. Sorry, `we' are in.
The sky was still darkened by the ash cloud from Australia was still hanging in the air but the damage was limited to the continent. I didn't have family there but I knew a lot of people who had. At the barracks, we shared in the pain but also our hatred for those Zekes. We had vowed between us to slaughter anyone that we meet yet here I am, sitting in a room drinking coffee with one.
“Any word from the delegations?” I asked while keeping my temper in check.
Rothaniel took a sip from his coffee before answering, “No.” He stared up at the TV.
Rothaniel was not what I was expecting from as a Zeke solider. He was a twenty something blond with a kind face. Given his constant smile and striking eyes, he seemed like someone who would be a huge hit with the ladies. I, on the other hand, am a large-built man with an almost terrifying face. Of course I wasn't always like this, but three years of bootcamp and two more training people in bootcamp does that to your face.
“I heard that both sides are negotiating a peace settlement.” He said.
“About time.” I lied, still retraining the urge to kick him into oblivion. My friend inside told me earlier that the Federation were looking to surrender.
“I envy you guys.”
I didn't expect that statement from him.
“You live on this beautiful planet. You have fresh air. The seasons come and go like the myriad of animals. The moon looks like the moon rather than just one big crater. I wasn't expecting Antarctica to be so cold but the bitterness of it made me realise how artificial the environment on the colonies were. I kinda understand why you people wanted us off the planet. I understand why you want to keep this paradise to yourselves.”
“Damn right.” I muttered under my breath but he heard me nonetheless.
“But your kind can't recognise what it has and treasure it.”
Just keep talking.
“You may think of us as trash but we see those that live on Earth as a burden to our birthplace. Until you have lived in the harsh environments of outer space you will never fathom what the Earth is. That that's why the people on Earth will always be bound by gravity and why you will never be as evolved as the people out in space-“
I jumped him. I landed a punch squarely to his jaw and he tipped backwards with his chair. For someone who came from space and not accustom to Earth's gravity he recovered extremely quickly and put up a boxing stance. I lunged at him but he dodged aside and let me slip harmlessly by. As I turned back, his right hand connected with my right eye and a follow-up kick to the stomach left me on the floor gasping for air. Rothaniel wiped off a trail of blood from the corner of his mouth. I could feel the condescension and smugness without even looking at him. He picked up a nearby chair and stood over me.
“You feddies are all the same. You think you are so superior to us spacenoids but when it really comes down to it we are more adapted at surviving than you and we will wipe you out to ensure the people in space can live in peace.” I looked up at him and into his eyes. I saw the raw hatred that resided in me was inside him too. His expression was one of pure rage as he lifted the chair above his head.
The television in the corner changed to the EFF Emergency Broadcast signal and the familiar face of General Revil appeared on it. It would not be the bureaucrats in Jaburo or those here negotiating for our defeat that would win the war. It would be this bearded man on the television. He would lead us to victory over the Zekes. He would push us, hurt us and let us die but he would love us like family. Maybe it was because he had the face of a battle-hardened veteran but with the eyes of a kind grandfather but me and those men that I helped train would gladly give our lives for him.
“Fellow Earth Federation citizens! I appeal to you all. Zeon is exhausted!” Were the last words that I heard before the chair slammed into my head. I went into a world of darkness with a smile on my face.