Monster Rancher Fan Fiction ❯ The Secret of the Guardians (previously Hare's Secret) ❯ Masks Revealed ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I don't own MR. Yaoi Tiger x Hare.

Masks Revealed


'What was that?' the voice startled Tiger from his thoughts. Glancing to the side, he saw the hare guardian standing very still, bunny ears perked, nose twitching lightly. Cocking his own head, he could hear the distant sound of voices... and fighting. 'Genki... they must be in trouble. But, I didn't think Moo could get in here,' the hare guardian whispered under his breath. 'Looks like he can,' Tiger said, racing off with the half bunnyboy following close behind.

~*~

'Tell us where the guardian is, brat,' one of the monsters growled, pinning the young human to the wall with his claws. 'N-never,' the kid managed to get out, even in the strangle-like hold. 'Genki!' Holly's shout came, drawing his eyes to where she was backed into a corner with Suezo and Mocchi. Golem was face to face with a giant worm monster, he couldn't possibly help them.

'We're coming!' a familiar voice shouted, as two figures came racing down the pathway. The monster holding Genki turned to look over his shoulder at the interruption, but was soon tackled and slashed by Tiger. 'Are you ok, kid?' the halfing asked, bending to help his friend off the ground. 'Yeah, thanks Hare,' the boy whispered.

'It's the guardian, get him!' a shout came from the enemy, as all the baddies rushed at once towards Genki and the hare guardian. 'Genki, run,' the guardian whispered over his shoulder. 'Sorry, can't do that. We're friends, and that means we're always there for each other... Hare.' The guardian was shocked as he stared back into the youth's dark eyes. ~He knows.~

In seconds, they were surrounded. 'Just give up and come peacefully, and maybe we won't hurt your friends,' one of the monsters chuckled. 'Like I'd believe that,' Hare replied, warming up his fist.

'ATTACK!'

~*~

~The battle was over almost as soon as it had begun. I can't believe Hare used the power of the Phoenix Tear to blast all the baddies into mystery disks. Course, that might be because Tiger got knocked out by the worm. Boy, did that piss our guardian off. He totally freaked out, blasting fire punches everywhere. And now...~ Genki glanced around the small room they had been in when the fight had started.

Holly was sitting a ways away with Golem, Suezo, and Mocchi. The hare guardian was sitting next to the unconscious Tiger, weakened from the use of his powers. Still... it almost seemed like Hare actually cared for the blue furred beast. ~Does he? I mean... they always seemed to hate each other. Could it be that Hare was only trying to hide his feelings? Tiger never shows his feelings, so I don't know what he really thinks of Hare. I'm not too young to understand about love, I've felt it myself.~ The youth glanced over at the girl again. ~Holly. One day I'll be old enough to show you how I feel,~

~*~

Hare jumped to his feet, robes swishing as Tiger of the Wind awoke. 'Are you ok?' he asked, pushing the brown bangs out of his eyes and staring down at the wolf monster. 'What happened?' Tiger's voice was slurred in confusion. 'You got knocked out and Hare decided to barbecue the baddies,' Genki laughed from the other side of the room. The hare guardian flushed red and turned away, coughing into his hand. Tiger's golden eyes searched the room, narrowing on the lost disks. 'I see,' he grumbled as he lifted himself to his feet.

~*~

''Maybe we should... part,' a voice interrupted the silence... if you could call it silence. Actually, the entire group was spread out as they ate dinner in the barely lit room. 'What are you talking about?' Genki demanded, putting down his bowl. 'It's just that... Moo is looking for me right now, not you. You have a chance to reach the end of the labyrinth and find the other two guardians if I stay here,' the bunnyboy explained, sitting across from the boy.

'Don't be stupid. We can't just leave you defenseless,' Genki reprimanded. Suezo snorted and grumbled, 'Oh yes. Very weak and helpless. He's got more power than any of us!'

'You aren't going,' Tiger cut in, laying a little ways away from the guardian. Hare simply stared at him in surprise. 'Tiger's right. We can't just leave you here alone,' Holly smiled. 'I'll only lead them to you,' Hare said as he shook off her words. 'That may be true. But... we don't abandon our friends,' Genki said, with a large grin.

'Right,' many voices echoed the chamber, well, except Tiger and Mocchi. Of course, Mocchi only said, 'Mocchi,' in response, and Tiger refused to agree to anything, he had his pride.

~*~

'If what they are searching for is the hare guardian, why don't we change the faces a bit?' Genki suggested, nodding his head towards the halfling creature standing before them. 'Hm... you have a point,' the older teen mused aloud. 'So, what are you going to do?' Holly asked, glancing back and forth between the two boys. 'Just bring back an old friend,' Genki smiled at them, only turning away as the guardian began to glow. Crimson light circled him, even as his form shifted.

Opening their eyes, the group stared in awe at the creature before them. It was... Hare. The fuzzy bunny monster smiled almost apologetically at them, slipping the scarf from out of nowhere. Around his neck was a dark red tear shaped stone hanging from a chain. 'Is that... the Phoenix Tear?' Holly stared in wonder. 'You know it is. Long story,' Hare's voice was far from its usual teasing tone. Instead, it was as gentle as the words of the guardian hare that had once stood in his place. The monster easily tied the red handkerchief around his neck, hiding the gem from view.

'Wait a minute!' Suezo shouted, bouncing up to the hare. He studied him enough to make the brown furred monster sweatdrop at the scrutiny. 'Where did the hare guardian go?' Holly asked, glancing around. No sign of the half bunny boy. Genki and Hare facedropped.

'Bakas. He is the hare guardian,' Tiger hissed, glaring at the bunny tailed monster. 'So, Tiger has a brain in his head after all,' Hare grinned to himself. But, the trickster smile he'd once worn as the hare monster soon vanished, to be replaced by a calm expression. 'We should get moving, there could be more of Moo's monsters lurking in this maze,' the bunny announced, watching the rest of the group.

Tiger bit back his anger and grumbled as he passed, taking the lead. 'Um, Tiger... do you know where you're going?' Holly asked, as they headed after him. 'He's got more than luck on his side,' Hare mused aloud. 'What do you mean by that?' Genki asked, walking alongside his friend. 'The tiger guardian is still free. I have a feeling he's helping Tiger somehow. After all, he managed to open the labyrinth entrance and only a guardian or one gifted by a guardian can do that,' the bunny answered. 'I see. So, where are we headed?' the youth wanted to know. 'Hmm... If I remember correctly... there are several ways out of here, but they are very hard to find even for a guardian. If we can get to one of those, then we'll be able to seal it from the otherside, preventing Moo's monsters from following us. Do you think you can find one of them, Tiger?' Hare asked, gazing forwards at the blue furred beast. Tiger, along with everyone else, were shocked and now staring at the hare.

'What did I say?' Hare asked selfconciously, aware of all the eyes focused on him. 'He's become polite, amazing,' Suezo commented loudly. 'You just asked Tiger for help. You've never, ever done that, ever,' Genki gapped at the bunny. 'I don't see what the fuss is about... Sigh! Let me put it this way. The old Hare wouldn't have asked Tiger for help because he had a very large ego, as can be explained by his experiences in your world. I have the memories of both guardian and monster, so we are not the same Hare any longer. Does that make sense?' the bunny tailed one asked.

'Now that you mention it, not really,' Genki sweatdropped. Hare just sighed and they all started walking again. 'Hare, why don't you tell us how you came to travel with us?' Holly suggested happily. 'Yeah. I'd like to know how a guardian became the annoying Hare we knew, then you,' Suezo commented. 'Story time!' Genki laughed aloud. 'Mocchi!' 'Golem.'

'I guess you could say that it all started when the dragon guardian summoned the rest of us...'

~*~

'So, you got back your memories after falling in the river. Come to think of it, you were acting a bit weird when we joined up again,' Holly commented, as they walked along. 'That's how you knew about the mountain,' Genki grinned. 'Not to mention the hidden entrance,' Tiger replied sarcastically. 'So I fibbed a bit on that one. I couldn't just announce that I was a guardian, you never would have believed me,' Hare said in return. 'Well that's true,' Suezo grumbled. 'Thanks a lot. Back to the point, we don't have much time. I can only hope that the other two are still in hiding. Hm... I don't think Moo realizes the truth behind my identity in this form, so it is better that I do not use any of my powers, as that will only draw him to our location.

~*~

'Hare, you ok?' a soft voice pulled the monster from his personal thoughts. 'Hm? I'm fine, Genki. Why do you ask?' the hare questioned, strangely calm despite their situation. 'Just because... you seem so quiet lately. Are you tired? Should we rest a while?' the boy wanted to know, genuinely concerned. 'Yes, perhaps we should. Don't worry about me though, I'm a guardian, remember? I can take care of myself,' Hare replied, sitting down on the side of the path and leaning back against the stone wall. 'Friends worry about each other. Besides, you must be tired from using up all that energy,' the kid commented, sitting down next to him as the others proceeded to sit a ways away to leave the two a bit of privacy.

'I am tired, but I didn't think you'd be able to tell,' Hare replied softly. 'Because you're so good at hiding your feelings,' the statement nearly shocked the monster, nearly. Instead, it caused a half smile to cross his face as he nodded. 'You don't have to hide anything from us, Hare. Friends don't keep secrets,' Genki grinned, assured that he was quite correct. 'Genki... you are so innocent,' a soft furred hand touched his cheek. Hare shook the bangs from his eyes and smiled down at the boy blinking back at him.

Further ahead, Tiger glared at the happy pair from the shadows. What the hell did Hare think he was doing?! Golden eyes watched as the rabbit withdrew, leaning his head back against the wall and sighing. He really was tired, why didn't he just sleep?

~If I sleep, I may dream. If I dream, will it be the same when I wake up? Will I dream the same dream I've had everynight of my new life as both hare and guardian? I don't want that dream to come true, please let it stay a dream. Please!~

And so, the group slept, building their strength for the journey ahead.

...tbc...

Author's Note: Love the review everyone, thanks! I'm sure everyone wants to know more about the two guardians they are searching for, don't worry, they'll be in the picture soon enough! Meanwhile, Tiger's getting jealous and Hare's still trying to hide his feelings. More adventure, and more yaoi coming up!

For more yaoi fics, please check out my other fanfiction (GW, Fake, Ushio and Tora (monsters and demon hunters in this one), DBZ currently... more anime series to come!