Mortal Kombat Fan Fiction ❯ Of Serpents and Sirens ❯ Backhanded Partnership ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

'A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends. - Baltasar Gracian

 

When Raiden arrived on the balcony encased in a lightning bolt, Shang was already sat on his throne picking at his nails, looking bored.

"How good of you to show Raiden. I was just about to send someone for you. I thought you had gotten lost."

"Enough drabble Shang Tsung. I've come to talk to you about Lily Cage."

"Oh? And what about her?"

"She had a violent seizure shortly after returning to her quarters and now she slumbers and has yet to awaken."

The sorcerer's facade faltered a moment before it hardened again and he sneered at him.

"So why are you here speaking to me?"

"Cassandra Cage found your jacket and vest in Lily's room last night. Lily was no where to be found."

"And?"

"Was she with you the entire night? If not, where did she go? I know you keep tabs on everyone moving on your island."

Shang Tsung was silent for a moment before he stood and smirked up at the thunder god.

"She was in my quarters the entire night, Raiden. She was rather exhausted."

Lightning sparked and crackled around Raiden.

"You are vile, Shang Tsung. To take advantage of a young woman with no knowledge of your past exploits."

Shang's hands burst into green flame, "Advantage? I may devour souls but I am no monster! I never forced my attentions on her! She came to me! It was her choice!"

"What wicked sorcery have you wrought upon her?"

Shang Tsung deflated, "None."

The lightning around Raiden dissipated instantly in his shock.

"Then who-"

"My first...wife is responsible."

To say Raiden was shocked was an understatement. He could only gape at the sorcerer. After a few minutes, he returned to himself.

"Your wife?"

Yes. You see I had locked her soul away when her thirst for power grew even greater than mine. She had become a danger not only to me but the Elder Gods as well."

"She wanted to attack the Elder Gods?!"

Shang Tsung chuckled dryly, "She had aspirations to be a god herself and rule over Earthrealm. So I tricked her."

"In what way, sorcerer?"

"I may have led her to believe that if she died and was resurrected..."

"You tricked your own wife into killing herself?"

He waved a hand in the air, "Quite an easy task, if I do say so myself."

/  -  /  -  /  -  /

A small woman stood on a stone balcony, perched against the railing, watching the stars above twinkle in the night sky. It was quiet except for the sound of crickets chirping.

'My love?'

She smiled widely as she turned to face her husband as he approached her confidently, holding a small wooden box.

"My handsome serpent, have you found it?'

He nodded, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her flush against him. He caught her lips in a bruising kiss which she returned with a broken moan.

When they stepped back from each other she giggled, "Oh my love, can you imagine it? Once I am resurrected I will have enough power to destroy the Elder Gods and we will be the gods then. No worrying about death. We'll be together for eternity.'

'Yes. Eternity.'

'Well, lets begin. We have no time to waste.'

Shang Tsung removed the small vial from the box and held it out to her.

'You may wish to lay down. It will be painless. I have made sure of it.'

She ripped it from his hands and kissed him sweetly on the cheek.

'Now remember, the words must be chanted on my last breath of life.'

He smiled softly at her, 'Of course, my love."

The woman sat on their bed, toed off her slippers and before she laid back she uncorked the vial and tipped the contents into her mouth.

When she made herself comfortable green chains burst out of the air and wrapped around her.

She looked up at him in shock.

"Shang, what is this?"

He lifted his hands as they burst into flame, 'I cannot let you do this. I have made an....agreement."

"You betrayed me?! My own beloved husband?"

Shang nodded, 'My apologies, my dear, but power is not meant to be shared. And you had no premise of sharing with me.'

She screamed as the poison began to take effect. It was like fire consuming her flesh as it traveled through her veins. Her skin fractured and turned black, puffs of green wisps escaping.

He stepped up to her and began chanting an old spell as he twisted the magic in his hands. It stretched out to her and latched onto the chains holding her. It pulled and tugged at her form until finally a wispy form began to break free.

As the poison finally reached her face È mèng screeched hoarsely, spitting blood at him.

'You will suffer for this, husband! I will find a way to return! And when I do....'

He twisted and tugged the magic harder, ripping her soul from her body with a squelching sound, leaving behind a blackened husk that dissolved into ash.

Looking down at the soul he had collected, he sneered. 'You just know how I hate goodbyes, my dear. But don't fret, I have the perfect resting place for you.'

/  -  /  -  /  -  /

"I had placed her in a specially made ceramic urn ladened with spells to make sure she would never get free."

"So she is free now?"

Shang Tsung lifted a claw finger, "Not yet. She has become active without my knowing which is admirable but aggravating and has attached herself to my magic like a parasite. Every time I use my spells, it will conserve a portion of the energy used and transfer to back to her."

Raiden understood but it still didn't make sense why Lily was being affected. Unless...

"You used your magic on Lily?"

"Three times. Twice last night and once this morning."

"Why?"

The sorcerer smirked at him, "I will not let my lovers suffer in pain from my passions."

"So you did bed her?"

"A gentleman never tells, thunder god."

Raiden looked at him in annoyance. 'But the smile on your face does, sorcerer.'

"Her brother wants to kill you."

Shang Tsung shrugged, "Who doesn't?"

"Indeed. Now why tell me all this?"

"I cannot use my magic until the parasitic spell has been removed. And until the spell is removed I cannot purge Lily of whatever È mèng has done to her."

"And?"

 "I have need of the waters of the Jinsei."