Nana Fan Fiction ❯ Down the Road ❯ oo1. Beginnings ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

oo1. Beginnings.
By Zhidia
Disclaimer: Don't own `em.
Notes: See summary.
 
 
The apartment building was old but still strong. The stairs creaked as she stepped up to the seventh floor, but she was confident that they would not break. The handrail was covered with a smooth varnish, but it was flaking in some parts. Her real estate agent, Yokoi, followed behind her, panting and gasping with the effort of conquering seven flights of stairs, all the while complaining that there was no elevators. She was used to this strain though, hours of practicing and performing on stage had strengthened her and she could climb the stairs easily.
 
They finally reached the top and she immediately began walking down the hallway, searching for her room. 701, 702, 703….706..707! She tossed a glance over her shoulder and saw Yokoi puffing and wheezing at the top of the stairs. She rolled her eyes and fumbled for the key. Unlocking the door, she stepped inside and looked around.
 
It was empty and looked incredibly large, but she figured it would be normal sized by the time she unpacked everything and it started looking like an apartment. She walked over to the window, admiring the view. It almost looked like the apartment building was situated in a country, and if she didn't know what was on the other side of the building, she would have believed it was. A long blue river flowed past the building, and miles and miles of fields could be seen. She leaned against the windowsill and watched, mesmerized by the view.
 
There was a clicking of boots on the wooden floor, followed by creaks and groans as the ancient floor struggled to support the person. She turned around, expecting to see Yokoi in the doorway, and instead was greeted with the sight of a young woman who looked around the same age as her. She had reddish hair pulled up into a ponytail, and as she studied her more, the bright clothes and childlike eyes became more and more familiar.
 
“How about a toast to two girls the same age meeting on a train?” She stubbed out her cigarette. And one more thing. My name is Nana too, Nana-chan.
 
Immediately Nana ran over to her, and started talking excitedly. “Ah! You're the girl from the train! Nana-chan, wasn't it?” She smiled and kept talking.
 
`Nana-chan?' Nana saw someone else in the room and she looked up, seeing an elderly man in the doorway who she assumed was Nana-chan's real estate agent. He was short, with hardly any hair left, and little had little round glasses balanced precariously on his nose. Nana frowned, looking back at Nana-chan.
 
“So then I-”
 
Nana interrupted her. “What are you doing here?”
 
Nana-chan blinked. “Huh?”
 
“Why are you here?” she repeated.
 
“Well, I'm looking at this house. Andou-san was kind enough to find me it,” she said, gesturing to the small elderly man, “and it's really cheap and it's absolutely gorgeous!”
 
“Wait, wait. I'm looking at this house now.” Nana said, crossing her arms over her chest. “I might buy it.”
 
Nana-chan's eyes widened. “But but, I really really want it, plus the kitchen is so pretty, the rent is cheap, and I absolutely must have it!”
 
“Why don't you go live with your boyfriend?”
 
“I-I can't.”
 
“Did he dump you?”
 
“No!” Nana-chan said indignantly. “But he might if I don't move out and live on my own! That's why I really really need this apartment!”
 
“Well, I've decided to buy it.”
 
“But I want it!” Nana-chan wailed comically.
 
“Excuse me, girls,” Andou butted in, “but you seem to be friends, so why don't you just share the apartment? There's room for two, and if you need privacy, you can always install locks on the doors.”
 
“But I-” Nana started.
 
“The rent would be split in half, too.” He continued. “It would be even cheaper.”
 
Nana-chan brightened up. “Half the rent?”
 
Nana sighed. It wasn't as though she didn't want to live with Nana-chan; she seemed like a perfectly nice and friendly person. It was just that she liked living alone. She liked the big houses, motels and apartments that she used to live in from time to time. She could come home and the house would echo. Of course, coming home to Ren wasn't objectionable, but right now that wasn't an option and she was trying to decide if she wanted to live alone or with someone else.
 
They looked at each other, and then Nana made her decision, “I don't want you intruding on my privacy, I like my alone time.”
 
“That's fine~” Nana-chan said, more focused on the rent being cut in half.
 
Andou produced a contract from his briefcase. Now, you can sign here and we can get you moved in as soon as possible.”
 
Nana turned to Nana-chan, holding out her hand. “Shake on it. Promise you'll respect my privacy and I'll respect yours.”
 
Nana-chan took her hand, and smiled.
 
“It's a promise.”