Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ mischief's cracktastic shorts ❯ Infinite [KakaShizu] ( Chapter 28 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
title: Infinite
for: scathachdhu
pairing: Kakashi/Shizune

--

She's cleaning, wiping down the table for the fifth time. It doesn't need it, of course, but it is something to do, something to focus on at the moment. The book hadn't helped; she was too distracted and had kept reading the same passage over before she'd finally given up and moved onto something else. But cleaning seemed to be working. It didn't require all the much attention but enough to keep her mind busy, which is the whole purpose. Otherwise she knows she'd be pacing the apartment, checking the clock, and making herself sick – with anger or worry she's not sure; either way that's a role she swears she'll never play again.

She's moved onto the stove when four quiet knocks finally break the silence, and Shizune quickly tosses the hand towel out of sight as she moves to the door. And there he is, slouching on her doorstep, grinning like he always does, like she hasn't just cleaned half her apartment waiting for him. Her eyes stay on him, away from the clock and the hours spent not-thinking about him and their relationship.

She smiles and opens the door further for him. The mask is already sliding down under his chin as he steps inside, the goofy, disarming grin turning darker, matching the heat in his visible eye.


They don't talk; they rarely do and nothing too deep or too intimate. Kakashi will probably always stay disconnected, and it's something she's accepted. She can keep it light. Fun and teasing aren't a bad follow-up to days filled with fret and worry under Tsunade.

Afterwards, they chat about minor things, days they have off, places they might want to eat at... someday. He traces the line of her hip with his fingers, and she strokes his unkempt hair and thinks she might have found contentment.