Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Naruto of the Mirage ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Two weeks have passed since Team 7 passed their test, and the members were well entrenched into the shinobi life by now.  They were used to getting up early, only to remember that Kakashi was always two hours late, they were used to training, which consisted mainly of physical exercises and light sparring.  But, they weren't used to the crappy D-rank missions they were receiving.  While Sasuke kept up an emotionless facade, he was inwardly steaming, swearing on the graves of his deceased parents, that if he had to weed one more garden, he was going to find a way to resurrect the dead members of the clan and then kill them himself.  Naruto was angry as well, he was pissed that he was doing grunt work when he could be off chasing bandits or doing something productive, like training…or eating ramen, anything to stop the monotony.  Sakura was getting bored doing the same tedious jobs over and over, but she was also glad that these short missions gave the team ample time to train, something she realized she needed to do much more of.
 
She was currently waiting for her three other teammates at their regular meeting place, a small bridge that spanned a small river and was roughly half ways between the three genin's houses.  She was adamant about punctuality and continued to show up before her teammates, although now it was only about ten minutes before the others now.  She was currently researching different ways to increase her power.  Given that she had excellent chakra control, albeit a small amount, she found two different fields that were perfect for her, medicine and genjutsu.  She was trying to figure out which area to concentrate on, but was having a hard time deciding. 
 
The two weeks had shown a marked increase in the trio's teamwork. She learned a lot about her teammates and was rethinking her previous notions about them, especially Naruto.  Before, she would have written the multicolored haired boy off as a general idiot and fool that had only just squeaked by the academy, but now…he had proven himself to be intelligent, physically strong, and cheerful, despite these strange looks he often received.  Sakura had heard rumors about her teammate, but she didn't know what to think of them.  From what she had pieced together (she would never just go up and ask him) he had been separated from his mother after the Kyuubi attack and not rejoined with her until he was seven.  His mother was a jounin and was the former apprentice of the traitor Sannin, Orochimaru.  Due to her connections with the powerful ninja, she was often disrespected and sometimes hated.  For whatever reason, Sasuke had moved in with the two and had been living with them since his family died. 
 
`But, just because the people don't like his mom, do they really hate him?' she thought.
When she told her sensei that the things she disliked were Ino and Naruto, she was basing those on what she had seen.  Many of the civilians of the village often shot glares at the boy and muttered curses behind his back.  When she asked her parents why, the answer she was looking for was skirted and if her parents were in a good mood, they would simply tell her she wouldn't understand and that she should probably keep her distance from him. 
 
Yet all of the new data she had told her that Naruto was trustworthy and protective of his teammates and would never hurt anyone that didn't deserve it.  He was a mystery, and she would figure him out sooner or later.
 
As Sakura was contemplating Naruto's life, the rest of her team was making their way towards the bridge for their next mission.  She absentmindedly greeted the boys as they arrived only minutes before Kakashi showed up and they made their way towards the Hokage Tower for their assignment. 
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
`Damn them! Damn them to hell!' Sakura was fuming as she waited for her tardy sensei.  Some how, the boys had managed to talk the Hokage into giving them a C-rank mission instead of the boring and safe D-rank ones they normally got.  She was beside herself, she didn't want to look weak in front of Sasuke, but she doubted her ability to perform up to par on the harder mission.  Hence the cursing of her teammates…them and that annoyingly late sensei! `I mean, would it kill him to be on time once?' Apparently it would, because he was running an astounding two and a half hours late.  If he didn't have the client with them, than the three would have left a long time ago, with or without Kakashi.  The threat potential on C-level missions was mostly bandits and those were rare. 
 
“Yo, sorry we're late, there was this drowning fish and it needed to be given CPR and someone glued my mask to my face, so I had to instruct Tazuna-san, here how to do it.”  Kakashi greeted the trio with a smile (or at least what they had come to interpret as a smile) and a wave of his head.  Tazuna was simply staring at the man in disbelief. 
`He was buying supplies and he tells them I was giving CPR to a fish?' Tazuna thought as Sakura yelled “LIAR!” at the jounin.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
The group was walking along the road between Konoha and the Wave Country and it was very boring.  The only interesting thing was a quick lesson about the different Shinobi nations and their leaders.  Besides the Hokage (When this was mentioned Naruto supplied that he would be the greatest Hokage of all time one day), there was the Raikage, Kazekage, Mizukage, and Tsuchikage, who were the leaders of the Cloud village, Sand village, Mist village and Stone village, respectfully.
 
When he was done talking the team and their charge drifted back into a lull of inactivity.  Naruto, who was in the front was searching for signs of bandit attacks or ambushes, Sasuke who was behind him was mostly sightseeing and enjoying his time out of the village, Tazuna was worried that he was sending these three kids to their death if they were to encounter the true reason he needed escorting and Sakura returned to pondering over her teammates.  They became so entrenched in their various activities that when an inconspicuous puddle came into view, no one immediately realized that something was wrong.  Kakashi was the first to notice that a rather large puddle had formed in the road when there hadn't been any rain for days.  Naruto probably would have overlooked it, if he hadn't been bored and activated his sharingan.  It was a habit he had developed, although he wasn't sure why, but if he got bored, he would activate the sharingan and try to copy new jutsu or just the way people acted and walked.  On this occasion he saw the chakra flowing from the deposit of water and silently signaled Sasuke that there were enemies about.  Sasuke, in turn, turned towards Kakashi, catching the attention of Sakura, but the jounin didn't seem to be paying attention, but Sasuke noticed his eyes were harder than normal. 
 
`He must have noticed them.' He reasoned and turned his attention to the front, where Naruto was deciding what to do.
 
`This is a C-rank; there shouldn't be any chance of shinobi encounters.' Naruto reasoned to himself. `But if I attack them and they aren't after Tazuna-san, then I could start something I can't get out of.' He gulped at the thought of possibly attacking another jounin.  He settled for a simple strategy, he passed through the puddle and watching the reaction of the liquid, trodding in it purposely.  Sasuke followed suit, but Sakura and Tazuna walked around it, while Kakashi just ignored it. 
 
As he passed, the puddle quickly changed shape into two men, whose faces were covered with horned masks bearing the symbol of the Hidden Mist village.  They had metal gauntlets on their arms, connected by a serrated metal chain, which was covered with a deadly poison.  The masked duo quickly ran forward and wrapped their chain around Kakashi and before anyone could do much more than look surprised, they pulled the sharp chain through the jounin, separating his body into many different sections.
 
“One down!”  Their voices were given a deeper timbre by the masks they wore, and they were good tag team fighters. 
 
They quickly moved towards Tazuna and Sakura.  Sakura was frozen, seeing her sensei ripped apart by the two masked ninja in front of her, and it wasn't until the forms of Naruto and Sasuke leapt in front of her and their client that she realized how close the two attackers were. 
 
Naruto completed the seals for Katon: Housenka no Jutsu, forcing the pair to either jump up, due to the area covered by the small fire balls, or disengage the chain and dodge separately.  The pair jumped up into the air, just as Naruto intended for them, only to be greeted by a much larger fire ball, courtesy of Sasuke.  The ball of intense flame connected with the pair, although they were able to lessen much of the damage by disconnecting the chain and twisting to the side.  It was during the masked men's dodge that Naruto leapt into the air and threw a pair of kunai attached with wire at the pair, successfully capturing one ninja, the kunai acting as weights like a bola and then embedding themselves into a tree, with just the slightest help from the boy's bloodline.
 
Meanwhile, Sasuke was engaged with the other ninja in a taijutsu match.  He was easily dodging the slowed blows, thanks to a combination of sharingan and the fact that the armor of his foe was slowing him down.  The masked ninja launched a clawed palm at the Uchiha's face, only for the boy to duck under the blow and land a straight jab into the attacking shinobi's stomach, doubling him over.  Before the mist ninja could even blink, Sasuke's knee connected with his face, sending his head reeling backwards once more exposing his stomach.  His clawed hands flew to his face to staunch the blood flowing from his nose.  Only then did the Mist ninja remember the poison on his over-sized clawed gloves.  Upon impact with his face, the poison on his claws mixed with the blood that was trickling into his mouth through the crack in his mask caused by the boy he was fighting.  At first he staggered backwards, probably from the force of Sasuke's knee, but he quickly dropped to his knees before falling on his stomach, dead.  Seeing his brother's death, the second ninja tried to cut himself with his own gauntlet, only for it to be forcibly held to his side by an unseen force. 
 
“Now, now, we need someone to question.” Naruto grinned at the captured foe. 
 
“Excellent work, you two.” Kakashi's lazy voice greeted the ninjas and their charge.
 
“Sensei…but how…you…chain…died?” Sakura's gaping mouth was able to form that disconnected sentence after the initial shock of her sensei's return wore off.  She glanced at the pieces of his body, a twig was sticking out of his mid section…wait!  A twig? He had used Kawarimi before the deadly duo had cut him with the chain and substituted himself with a section of tree. 
 
Kakashi turned to face the captured man and asked who their target was.  The masked ninja didn't reply.  He reached up and lifted his forehead protector, but from the position of the genin, they couldn't see what he was doing.  After a moment the incapacitated ninja's eyes widened in horror and he began to scream and yell
 
“The bridge maker!” Over and over until he passed out.
 
Lowering his headband, Kakashi turned and leveled his gaze at Tazuna.
 
“It would seem,” He started, “that Tazuna-san needs to explain a few things before we
continue.”
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA