Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Naruto of the Mirage ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sarutobi, the Sandaime Hokage rolled the message he had been reading up and sighed.  Team 7 was returning from their C turned B turned A rank mission late but intact.  Actually they were plus one member, a Mist kunoichi named Haku, who wished to become part of the village as a civilian.  The report included her history and truthfully Sarutobi was impressed.  It wasn't everyday that the apprentice to the `Demon of the Bloody mist' wished to join your village, let alone as a civilian.  Well, he'd be dead before he let an opportunity like this slip away.  He called some selected individuals into his office.
 
Moments after his summons left his possession, the four people he had called arrived.  Yuuhi Kurenai, Umino Iruka, Shiranui Genma, and Morino Ibiki all entered the office of the Hokage with various degrees of clueless ness, although Ibiki hid his best.
 
“You called us, Hokage-sama?”  Iruka asked the old man. 
 
“Hai, Team 7 will be returning with an extra `member'.  A former Mist kunoichi by the name of Haku.  She was apprenticed to Momochi Zabuza, until his death a couple days ago.  She wishes to become a Konoha citizen, however, due to her skills; I would like her to be a shinobi.  The only problem is that she would need someone to adopt her and sponsor her.  She has lived through the Mist's `cleansing' and hasn't had a true family for years.  You four are the only ones with the ability to defend her, should Hunter nin come for her, as well as provide the correct atmosphere for someone her age.”  He handed the four the letter he had received from Kakashi and Anko.  In turn the quartet passed it around and read its contents. 
 
“Hokage-sama,” Iruka spoke “I would like to adopt Haku, seeing as how she has already bonded with Sasuke and Naruto, but as a chuunin, I don't have the income to support anyone besides my self, and that's if I don't treat Naruto to ramen.”
 
“I'm afraid that I wouldn't provide the correct atmosphere in a home that you are looking for.”  Ibiki stated.
 
Genma was about to make some excuse when Kurenai spoke up.
 
“I'll take the girl.”  She stated calmly.  “I have been lonely as of late, and a companion would do me wonders, and as skilled as she is, perhaps she could inspire Hinata.” 
 
The Hokage merely nodded his head and dismissed the others. 
 
“I will have the paperwork for you later today, and they should be returning in three or four days.  There was a slight incident involving Naruto, but it has been taken care of.”
 
Kurenai nodded her head and left the office. 
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
Three weeks had passed since that meeting in the Hokage's office.  Team Seven had returned safe and sound, although Sakura was still glaring/hiding at/from Haku.  Speaking of the ex mist ninja, Yuuhi Haku was adapting very well to her life as a Konoha shinobi.  Technically, she was on the mandatory ninety-day probation period, but that didn't stop her from training with Kurenai, Team Eight, or Team Seven.  Originally the plan was to have her trained as a medic ninja, but it quickly turned out to be a bad idea.  While she was well versed in anatomy and pharmacy, Haku had a problem with being a medic nin.  She had a large fear of blood. Not Tsunade large, but somewhere in between freak out/panic/faint.  So the decision was made that Kurenai would train her to become a genjutsu specialist.  It turned out that Haku had chakra control to rival Sakura, but larger chakra reserves, something the pink haired girl found to be a grave injustice, although no one was quite sure how she came to that conclusion.
 
It turned out to be the correct move.  Haku seemed to be a natural at deception and manipulation, so genjutsu came naturally to her.  She didn't have a large number of techniques, but when she used them in conjunction with her bloodline limit, they became very difficult to combat. 
 
Speaking of blood limits, our protagonist was currently practicing his new bloodline in the forest.  Needles of ice were scattered around the area and even a few had hit their target, Anko. She was pleased with her son's progress with his newest addition.  He was faster than Haku when he used the demonic ice mirrors, and when he didn't, but he was quickly growing bored of the same two techniques. So he'd create his own.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
Whenever Team 7 wasn't training, the different members had their own routines to follow.  Naruto would go and train with his various bloodlines and the sealing techniques that the Sandaime gave him, Sasuke would practice his fire manipulation, and Sakura spent an equal amount of time fawning over Sasuke, and immersing herself in the world of medical ninjutsu.  It turned out she had a knack for the stuff, and after only three weeks of practice, was able to heal minor cuts and lacerations.  She had grown more accustomed to having Haku around during training, but still saw the girl as a rival for Sasuke's love. 
 
Naruto was walking back from the forest having just finished creating a new technique.  Ok, technically, he hadn't created it, he had heard about the Satetsu (Iron Sand) that the Sandaime Kazekage was famous for and had been trying to replicate the technique for ages.  He had finally succeeded today and was feeling proud of himself. So, in celebration, he would treat himself to Ichiraku ramen!
 
Over the years of living with Sasuke, Naruto had developed a kind of sixth sense when it came to his brother.  For instance, he could tell when fan girls were chasing him, or when he was…ok, so mainly he could tell when Sasuke was being chased by fan girls, but hey!  It was a darn good skill to have at times.  He got that feeling right as he turned the corner towards the main street of Konoha.  Right on cue, Sasuke rounded the corner followed by hordes of screaming kunoichi. 
 
He also noticed that Konohamaru, the grandson of the Hokage, was forced to flee for his life, and in the process, bumped into a shinobi dressed in a black body suit with cat ears on the hood.  He was wearing purple face paint, and had a large bundle, wrapped in cloth on his back.  He also noticed the Sunagakure insignia emblazoned on his forehead protector.
 
“Little brat! I'll teach you a lesson for running into me.”  The black clad kid threatened and lifted Konohamaru off the ground.
 
“Hey! You'd better put him down.”  Naruto demanded.
 
“Oh? What's a little punk like you gonna do about it?”  The mysterious kid asked, still holding Konohamaru. 
 
Naruto was between a rock and a hard place. `I don't want to show satetsu before I have to, although it would probably scare these guys witless. I know!'
 
Naruto drew a kunai from his holder.  Through his study of seals, Naruto had pieced together, at least what he though, was the principle behind the Yondaime Hokage's Hiraishin no jutsu. (Flying Thunder god) Although he wasn't capable of recreating the technique, he did create a good bluff. 
 
The kunai he had just drawn had a couple seals carved into it.  One contained enough chakra to create a kage bunshin when it impacted the ground; another contained a low-level fuuton technique to quickly dissipate the smoke created by the kage bunshin.  He would simply use a henge to transform into something inconspicuous and hope his opponent didn't see through it.
 
The plan worked like a charm.  Naruto threw the kunai at the Suna genin's feet and quickly transformed into a pebble on the ground.
 
Kankurou wasn't able laugh at the Konoha genin's attempt at throwing a kunai, when a fist connected with his face.  He flew behind a blonde girl Naruto didn't notice, although she seemed to be the black clad boy's teammate.  While both of their attention was away from the clone, Naruto dismissed the clone and canceled his henge.
 
`What the hell was that? I couldn't see him move!' The boy quickly stood up and watched Naruto help Konohamaru to move out of the way.  He quickly un-shouldered whatever was strapped to his back, causing his teammate to question his decision.
 
“You're really going to use the crow?” She asked in a surprised voice.
 
As he was about to unwrap `the crow' a pebble ricocheted off his hand. 
 
“Ow!” The boy growled and turned his attention towards the stone thrower. 
 
Sasuke sat in a nearby tree, tossing three more stones in his hands.
 
“You know, that's the Hokage's grandson you were threatening.” He stated coldly. 
 
The Suna boy stared at Naruto.
 
“No, not me you idiot, Konohamaru!” Naruto growled in outrage.
 
“Kankurou…stop it.” A voice drifted towards the small group. It was coming from Sasuke's position, but no one had felt him arrive.
 
“G-Gaara!” Kankurou stuttered, “T-that brat started it!”
 
“ENOUGH!” The red haired Gaara said forcefully.  He was hanging upside down from the tree branch adjacent to Sasuke. “You are an embarrassment to our village, Kankurou; if you don't stop I'll kill you.”  Turning towards his female teammate he spoke equally as coldly. “Temari, why didn't you stop him? You two were not to make any kind of trouble.” 
 
“S-sorry, Gaara, I lost him for a moment and d-didn't find him until just a moment ago.”  The blonde kunoichi replied, shaking.
 
Gaara turned towards the Konoha shinobi.  He glanced at Sasuke first. `The black haired boy was able to hold off Kankurou with some rocks, but he was holding back.  He is strong, but the blonde…'  He glanced turned towards Naruto and Konohamaru, who was hiding behind the blonde and black haired boy. `I have no idea how he did that move with the kunai…a replacement perhaps? No, it was too fast for that, not even Baki could do a kawarimi that fast.  He is just as strong as the black haired boy, if not stronger.  Something tells me I should be weary of those two.' He suddenly disappeared in a swirl of sand before reappearing in front of his teammates.  He was wearing a black short-sleeved shirt and dark brown pants and had a large gourd strapped to his back.  He also had dark black rings around his green eyes…or light blue eyes…err a light bluish greenish color…anyways, it was some one of those colors that fights would start about.
 
“I'm sorry for my teammate's behavior.” He said and began to walk off.
 
“Wait!” Naruto yelled after the red head.  “What's your name?” 
 
The shortest Suna genin turned and stared at Naruto. He didn't flinch as Sasuke jumped down from his tree perch and landed next to his brother.
 
“Gaara.  Sabaku no Gaara.  I am interested in your names as well.” He calmly stated.
 
“Uchiha Sasuke.”  Sasuke said, still feigning his coldness.
 
“Uzumaki Naruto.” 
 
“I look forward to seeing you in the upcoming chuunin exams, Uchiha Sasuke, Uzumaki Naruto.”  Gaara once more turned away before disappearing in another swirl of sand.
 
The boys just turned away after making sure Konohamaru was ok, and began to chat idly.
 
“So,” Sasuke started “chuunin exams, eh?” 
 
“Think Kakashi sensei will nominate us?” Naruto asked.
 
“I bet if we hid the registration forms in one of those `books' he reads he would.”  Sasuke joked.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA