Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Naruto of the Mirage ❯ Chapter 18 ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Naruto had been confined to his hospital bed for too long. Despite the reassurances of his mother that it was necessary to prevent against further damage from chakra exhaustion. The amount he had used to defeat Gaara and defend his home had been monumental, using up all of his unnaturally large chakra supplies, as well as forcing a good amount of the Kyuubi's chakra into use. Safe to say that he wasn't expected to awaken for a good week and a half. Granted he was anything but normal, so it wasn't too much of a surprise that he petitioned to be released minutes after waking up.
 
Thankfully, Tsunade denied his request and forced him to spend at least the next day in the room, under her strict surveillance. After that, he should be able to return home, given that he doesn't exert himself too much…but since he had a tendency to overdo everything he does, more like no working out what so ever.
 
He hadn't taken his forced vacation well, especially when he could have been able to help out the village, which needed a lot of help rebuilding. That was where the rest of his family was, while he was stuck helping Tsunade sort papers. One of the lessons from this encounter was the unfortunate truth that Sarutobi was growing on in his life, and a suitable replacement must be found before long. Fearing what would happen if he offered the post to Jiraiya; the old and wizened man offered the office of Godaime Hokage to Tsunade. He had always hoped to be able to pass on his position to one of his students, now that his true successor was gone.
 
He had gone to see his only female student to offer her the job and was expecting a long argument from the blonde, but was shocked when she accepted his offer after only a few days of thought. He was almost sure that she would refuse because of her brother, Nawaki, and her one time boyfriend, Dan. It was both of their dreams to become Hokage, and she had taken their deaths rather harshly. Whenever the grey haired man thought of this a sad smile would take over his face. It was against the very nature of a Kage to not feel sorrow for one as close as Sarutobi was to his students, especially when that sorrow was caused by death.
 
Where does the smile come from? Well, the first thing that Tsunade did when she began her journey was to `visit' the Stone ninja in their home. Once again, the Iwa Shinobi suffered sleepless nights and extreme fear of a blonde haired Konoha ninja.
 
Returning to his original train of thought, Sarutobi couldn't help but feel a sense of relief pass over him. This arrangement would be best for Konoha, which would in essence have two Kages to guide them through the times ahead, one in battle and the other in her wisdom and with the utmost respect of the village. The future of the village was in good order.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
“Finally! I can get out from behind that stupid desk!” Naruto was ecstatic about his release from paperwork. If that was what the Hokage did all day, he might just reconsider his job options in the future. He had suffered behind that desk for an entire week before he was cleared to help out with the manual labor with the rest of his friends. To celebrate his freedom, the young man quickly made his way to Ichiraku for some ramen.
 
Tsunade had more important matters to attend to, most of them dealing with sorting out the results from the chuunin exam. From what she had seen, the genins, while impressive, didn't have the maturity to be chuunin at this stage. But after the attack from Orochimaru, the village did need more Chuunin…
 
As night set around the village, the two figures in black cloaks reached the gates of the village. They wore straw hats that shaded their face from view and their cloaks covered their entire body except for about six inches of their legs.
 
“We'll stay the night out here, and search for our target tomorrow.” The shortest of the pair said, his voice was emotionless and dead. The only visible part of his skin was his hands which had a ring on his right ring finger.
 
“What, seeing your old village make you nostalgic or somethin'?” The larger one asked, his hands were in his pockets and not a bit of skin was showing.
 
The shorter of the pair didn't answer and just walked over to a tree before climbing it using chakra and lay across a branch for the night, adjusting his hat so that no one would be able to see his face.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
The next morning Naruto reported along with his team to the Godaime to receive their assignment for the day.
 
“Team Seven…you're needed in the…” Tsunade wasn't the best at assigning missions, normally this was something that Shizune did, but she was off helping at the hospital, so the task fell to the female Hokage. She had been determining where placement of teams by need, but with all the focus on the rebuilding, the heaviest hit spots were already near completion, and thus most of the teams were reassigned to lesser areas of need. To pick the new areas, Tsunade had been throwing darts at a map of Konoha and presto! New location!
 
As her latest dart thudded into the map, she looked at the location and grinned.
 
“Team Seven, you are hereby assigned to help the rebuilding in Konoha's hotel district. If you weren't aware, the district sustained minimal damage, but if we are able to get the structures back in form, we can begin to make revenue from them again. You have your orders, dismissed!”
 
The quartet headed towards the building where they would start their day, passing through the center of the village on the way. None of the genin noticed the oddly dressed duo that were sitting at the counter of a small shop, eating breakfast. However, Kakashi did notice, although he didn't appear to. Upon sensing the legendary Copy ninja, both of the foreign shinobi tensed, but relaxed once the team had passed. No one noticed this action. As the three young ninjas began their work, Kakashi made some lame excuse about needing to check to see if he left his refrigerator running. They never noticed the hawk that began to circle in the sky, calling the attention of the higher ranking ninja.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA