Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Naruto of the Mirage ❯ Chapter 19 ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Naruto was sick of that feeling. It had been hanging around him since that incident with Itachi and his blue sidekick, and that had been a while ago. He was sick of the feeling that something terrible was going to happen, and soon. He didn't listen to these kinds of feelings, never had a reason to honestly, but this was different. Jiraiya had explained that the two missing ninja were part of an organization called Akatsuki, made up of only the strongest ninja, who were hunting and capturing the tailed demons, or their containers. He supposed that this might be contributing to the current funk he was in, but it didn't explain it.
 
He exhaled sharply, rereading the letter in front of him for the second time, looking for anything he might have left out or forgotten. Spotting no problems, he rolled the scroll shut and began to walk to the Hokage's office from the comfort of the tree he had been sitting in for the past hour. He made quick time to the administrative building but decided to take the approach to Tsunade's office slowly. It was late, around ten-thirty if he had to venture a guess, and he didn't need to be caught sneaking around the office of the most powerful ninja in the village. Quietly, he was able to open the door to the office and slip inside, noting that for once Tsunade was not sleeping at her desk, and had more than likely slipped out for some sake.
 
He found the exact place he was searching for and slipped the scroll inside of a small compartment that he had seen the Sandaime use often. It was a small cubby built into the inside of the desk, near the right knee of whoever was sitting at it. Placing his scroll along with the other one already there, he stood up and made to leave hoping to make it home before too long, his mom had become worried about his safety and had imposed strict curfews on him. The boy shuddered. The last thing he needed to do was make his mom worry.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
Likewise, Sasuke was out and about at this late hour of the night, except his was for a different purpose. It was the anniversary of his clan's massacre and he had gone to pay his respect. It was a difficult time, especially with the reappearance of Itachi, which seemed to mar today even more than usual. He sat on the pier where he first learned to perform his first fire technique and watched the moonlight and stars reflect of the still surface. The voice in his head hadn't returned since the incident, but what it had said kept echoing around and it scared him. There was no way that voice could have been him, he wasn't cruel or evil sounding, he wasn't overly violent, and he certainly didn't want anyone dead, especially if that person was Haku.
 
Haku. The name drug up a thought that he didn't want to admit or acknowledge. Did he really care for her? She had experienced the same feeling of loneliness he had, even if his was substantially shorter, both having witnessed their family killed before their eyes. She was strong, something he would definitely look for when he decided it was time to date, and the fact that she was level headed, where he was a bit more rash was a nice contrast. He would watch as his brother would spar with the brunette and couldn't help but be amazed by how quickly she thought up a strategy and how effective they were. She was no Shikamaru, who Sasuke knew to have an IQ larger than most people's bill when they took Naruto out for ramen, but she was extremely bright in her own right. Then there was the way that her smile would seem to sparkle, and not in the obnoxious way that Lee or Gai's would, but it could brighten his mood no matter how bad his day was. Come to think of it, if he could see her smile now…
 
Ok, it was official; he was at least slightly attracted to her, which made what the voice said, even more painful to hear.
 
You cannot save your precious brother, because you are too weak, which means that sooner or later, I will come out and play. Perhaps with that girl you like so much, Haku was it? Yes, she will have to be taken care of, so that Itachi cannot use her to get to you…'
 
The voice had to be his own, he hadn't told anyone, not even Naruto that he liked her, not a single soul.
 
He stood up and walked towards the gates of his former complex and as he walked out of the gate he never noticed that he was being looked for by two different groups of shinobi.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
“Orochimaru-sama, you do not need to exert yourself in your current state, allow me to take care of this, you know as well as I that I can handle a simple abduction.” If anyone other than Kabuto had said that, they would have been disemboweled faster than they could blink.
 
“It would be wise of you not to overestimate yourself.” The snake sannin hissed at his subordinate. Sending yourself is too much of a risk, and I cannot risk Kimimaru's health to make sure you succeed in your task. You will accompany me, which is the simplest way of completing our task.” The sannin declared.
 
Kabuto nodded, not wanting to test his luck against his master. He still thought it was overkill, after all Konoha shinobi were too weak to demand the presence of himself and his master. The duo slipped into the shadows and suppressed their chakra to a level that was nearly undetectable and made their way to the apartment of Mitarashi Anko.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA