Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Naruto of the Mirage ❯ Chapter 21 ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was not a particularly nice day in Konoha. The sun had been hidden behind clouds for the past half a day and the rain had yet to show signs of slowing down. There was a real chance of flooding if the rain didn't slow down. Tsunade stared out the window at the pouring rain and occasional bolt of lightning. Two and a half years had passed to the day since Naruto and his family had left, and the Hokage could say without hesitation, that things were just a bit too quiet. She hadn't heard from Jiraiya, Anko, Sasuke or Naruto in almost a year, around ten months to be exact, and she was beginning to regret letting them leave. The last she had heard, Sasuke had thrown himself into training to control his demonic blood, Naruto had taken to sealing like a duck to water, and Anko had been improving so rapidly Jiraiya was talking about making her the official snake sannin.
 
From the sound of things, all three of them were due for a promotion, but they would have to come back to receive it. She turned back to her paperwork. Ever since Sarutobi had cut her loose, so to speak, the paperwork had been a constant pain in the neck. Cursing her former sensei, who was undoubtedly drinking tea right now, Tsunade signed another form and placed it in another pile.
 
Taking another stapled packet of forms, she started to read through them, noting anything that she didn't like or didn't agree with.
 
“Jiraiya, if you going to come in do it or get the hell off the ledge.” She ordered upon sensing her teammate.
 
“Jeez, is that how you greet an old friend after two and a half years?” He joked as he stepped in and took of a soaked black cloak.
 
“That depends, if by friend you mean someone who absconds with the people I consider family and don't write back for almost a year, than yeah, that's how I'll greet `ya.”
 
Jiraiya smiled, still the same old Tsunade. Not even her clothing had changed in the two years since he had seen her last. “Well, we're back for good now, figured there wasn't a better time to come back, see if I couldn't get the boys in the next chuunin exam. The one in Suna is in a week right?”
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
While Jiraiya was schmoozing with Tsunade, Anko and her kin had made it to their home, wet, but happy to be back. Sitting their packs down on their beds, both boys realized that…they would need longer beds. They added it to their list of things to do and buy before tonight. In celebration of their return, they had decided to go out for lunch, and beds would come later.
 
They made their way towards their restaurant of choice with complete anonymity thanks to the changes that occur when people don't see you for nearly three years. They had a nice dinner and lazily made their way through the rest of their list. The sun was nearly set when they began their trek home; they would be forced to sleep on the floor for one night, since their beds wouldn't arrive until the next day, after unpacking the groceries and their other supplies, the three split up to go reacquaint themselves with the village.
 
Sasuke immediately went to meet up with Haku. He had kept in touch with the kunoichi, and their fledgling romance had managed to grow while the two were separated, something that both Anko and Naruto were trying to figure out how they managed to do.
 
Sasuke knocked on the door to his girlfriend's house, which was answered almost immediately by Kurenai. The older women eyed Sasuke, sizing him up for her `daughter'.
 
“I assume you're here for Haku?” She asked after dressing the boy down.
 
“Yes mam.” Sasuke replied, hoping to make a good impression on the genjutsu mistress.
 
Nodding her head as an indication to enter the house, Kurenai yelled for Haku. Said teenager walked around the corner and nearly fainted in shock.
 
There was Sasuke, the only boyfriend she had ever had, except that he didn't look like the Sasuke of old. He had grown at least six inches, perhaps more! His hair style had changed in a small way, it still came to a point that stuck up in the back, but in the front, his bangs, which used to fall to either side of his face, almost like Hinata's old hair style, now fell all over his forehead, partially obscuring his protector.
 
His hair wasn't the only thing that changed; he had branched off from his family and ditched the trench coat, opting for black and white pants that had the golden outline of a flame running up the legs. At his waist, a black karate belt held the lose pants on his hips. He wore a white hooded sweat shirt, to help insulate him against the approaching fall weather, it was rather nondescript, other than the Uchiha fan which was shrunk to the size of a butterfly and placed on the back, hidden beneath the hood when not in use. All in all, she thought he looked hot, and felt her cheeks heating up at that thought.
 
Haku wasn't the only one who was shocked at the changes that two years could make. Sasuke had to exert a lot of self control not to gape at the girl. Her hair was shorter than he remember, where it once fell to around her lower back, if not held in a bun, it now fell to just below her shoulder blades and was pulled into a small pony tail. She was wearing a white skirt that fell to around her knees, and a black long sleeve t-shirt. Around her neck was a thin silver chain that Sasuke recognized immediately. For a birthday gift, he had sent her the necklace, a silver braided chain that had a large oval shaped turquoise on it, attached to a leather back. The blue stone had reminded him of the water that she could control with ease and grace.
 
“Wow, you look good.” They spoke at the same time, blushing at the words spoken as well as the timing.
 
“Would you like to go for a walk?” Sasuke inquired.
 
“Sure!” Haku answered brightly and the couple quickly left the house and slowly made their way towards the center of town while catching up on the happenings of the past few years.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
Naruto had gone to Ichiraku, despite just having eaten dinner; he needed to support his favorite ramen stand in the world!
 
In between his fifth and six bowls of the delicious noodles, another figure joined him at the stand, although he sat a few seats away. Looking over at the new comer, Naruto was happy to see the friendly face and round body of Chouji. He tried to hail the boy but when your mouth is full of noodles, it is rather hard.
 
“Naruto?” Chouji was shocked by the changed his friend had gone through.
 
Naruto's hair had grown shaggy and long since he had last been seen in Konoha, it resembled the Yondaime almost exactly, except for the streaks of black that ran through it. He had grown as well, though not quite as tall as Sasuke he was five foot six, but wasn't as muscular. That was the main difference between the two; Naruto had focused on speed while Sasuke had focused his training on strength and power. Naruto's new wardrobe had been based around this, and he had scaled back the full length trench coat to only a jacket, and had changed from simple shorts and pants to cargos, giving him more than enough room to keep scrolls, shuriken and kunai, plus whatever he needed for any other situation. Underneath the dark grey jacket, he wore a simple white t-shirt, nothing fancy or flashy. His techniques would do his talking for him, not his clothes.
 
“Chouji! Hey man, how are you?” The hyper boy asked, happy to see his old friend.
 
“I'm fine, but how about you? I mean you've been gone for two years and we haven't heard from you? What have you been up to?”
 
“Well, besides fending for my life not too much, just training day in and day out.” Naruto responded while motioning for another bowl.
 
The two chatted for the duration of the meal, before Naruto had to head back home.
 
Halfway back, Naruto stopped.
 
“Hey Lee, do you want to stop following me like some fan girl?”
 
“Ah Naruto-kun, it is so good to see you!” The equally hyper boy replied, dropping to the street from his position on a rooftop.
 
“It's good to see you too, but why were you following me?” Naruto asked, wanting nothing more than to get home and get some sleep.
 
“I know that you requested some advice from Gai-sensei about taijutsu training while you were gone, I wanted to challenge you to a spar to test out your skills.”
 
“As good an idea as that sounds, right now, I'm too tired to fight tonight, but how about tomorrow?”
 
“Yosh! How about Ten o'clock, I will meet you at the arena where the chuunin exam finals were held, is that acceptable?”
 
“Sure, see you later, Lee.” Naruto yawned as he waved the exuberant boy off and finally made it back home. His mom was asleep in her room, but Sasuke hadn't come back yet.
 
`Probably out romancing Haku.' Naruto snickered to himself. He just wasn't interested in finding a girlfriend just yet, despite knowing how short a shinobi's life span could be.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA