Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Naruto of the Mirage ❯ Chapter 27 ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Things in Sunagakure had gone from tense, to frightening, to worried, to relieved and then back to Tense in three days. Gaara had been attacked twice, abducted, murdered, his body returned in the hands of his friend Naruto, and then revived. The Godaime Hokage had looked him over for any signs of damage, and besides the fact that he was dead less than a day ago, he seemed in fine health. Sasuke was resting and recuperating from his use of Katon: Rasengan, with Haku keeping an eye on her boyfriend. Naruto had taken his Mother to see Gaara so they could go over everything that Naruto learned during the Chuunin exams. While neither really had a connection to the Sandaime Kazekage, they were grateful for the support of the Sand nation and all that they were willing to do for the family of their strongest leader. Anko had just left to check on Sasuke, mostly to see if she could catch her son and Haku in a compromising position and Naruto had plans to go through what little was left from the Sandaime, when Gaara pushed a rather thick stack of papers in front of him. Naruto cocked an eyebrow in question before he began to peruse the document.
 
“As you can see this was done behind my back and I know what they intend to do, but I thought you should be aware as well.”
 
“What's this part at the end about? It seems really weird; it's just a swap, isn't it?”
 
“Apparently Jiraiya-sama found out about the negotiations and alerted Hokage-sama. That part is her doing I was told.” Gaara responded, eyes going back to what work he still had to do. Naruto kept reading over the document amazed at its contents.
 
“How fast was this done? It had to be finished in the past couple days, right? I still don't get this; it's really bad on your end, why did they agree to it?” Naruto had finished reading and had committed the contents to memory. Gaara just smirked; he wanted to see the look on his friends face when he learned the truth.
 
“They agreed because they knew how I would react to this. I concur with you, this was drawn up far too hastily on your end of the stick and instead of gaining anything, you will actually get nothing. Unlike the Konoha council witch has a well documented history of trying to steal power from the Hokage; our village council is more of an extension of my authority. They have learned to predict how I will handle things like this, and they have more to gain if things go as they are now.”
 
Naruto's barking laugh cut the short silence. “You got that right, you know, I still don't know how this worked, but I have to admit that it's pretty bad for us.”
 
Gaara just snorted at the comment and returned to his work, while Naruto headed off to find any of his father's things.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
“Look, it's real simple; you go in and ask if Sasuke-kun knows where Naruto is. If they ask just say that Tsunade-sama needs him. It's fool-proof!” Haku chirped as she tried to convince Hinata to go looking for her long time crush. Eventually the Hyuuga heiress broke down and agreed, although her face might remain the same shade of red for the rest of her natural life. Sasuke was lying in bed, though he didn't want to, and was very surprised when the shy girl walked into his room. Ok, technically, shoved would have been a better description, but he wasn't going to split hairs.
 
“Um, Sasuke-san, would you know…that is…um…could you…is there any way…”
 
Sasuke sighed at how flustered the kunoichi was and tried to repress a laugh. He had seen very little of her, what with the exams and then the retrieval mission going on, but he knew that she was much stronger than in their younger years, and here she was, reduced to a blithering mass.
 
“Haku put you up to looking for Naruto, didn't she?” His question was met with a silent, but nodding Hinata.
 
“He went with Kaasan to see Gaara, if he still there or not, I don't know.”
 
Hinata stood there in a state of shock. That hadn't been so bad after all. She was about to mutter thanks and back out of the room before she overstayed her welcome when Sasuke interrupted her.
 
“Can I offer you some advice?”
 
“A-a-advice?” She stuttered for the first time in a while
 
“About my brother.” What little red had left her cheeks returned faster than the Yondaime Hokage. She quickly began stammering before Sasuke held up his hand.
 
“Look, I don't profess to know everything that goes on in that tiny head of his, or even what he's doing, and I certainly don't claim to be some kind of match maker, but it's clear that you're worried what would happen if you did something forward and he turned you down.” She was nearing a fainting spell if he kept reading her so accurately, Hinata thought she would die.
 
“But, he could have Tenten over me, why would he even pick me?” It came out as a fast, and pretty loud exclamation, after which, the heiress immediately slapped her hands over her mouth in embarrassment.
 
Sasuke actually smiled at her admission. “True, Tenten does seem to be showing a newfound interest in him, but she has done as much as you have in actually doing anything about it. You've both just kind of…danced around him, not really doing anything, and if either of you want to stop this cold war, you'll need to act before long, or…I dunno…Ino will end up with him.”
 
Hinata began to blabber random fragments again, mostly having to do with Tenten or Ino or her own fear and Sasuke was forced to listen to her for the duration of her little tirade before he deemed it necessary to interrupt her.
 
“Hinata, relax! It's not as impossible as it sounds; just go by the Kazekage tower and…”
 
“BUT WHAT IF I MESS UP? WHAT IF HE DOESN'T LIKE ME…OR WHAT IF HE SAYS NO? Oh god! I don't know if I could live with that…” Perhaps she had finally admitted her own fears to herself, but Sasuke could see the corner she had just turned.
 
“Hinata it - Hinata…HINATA!” He seemed to catch her attention as she quit babbling and once again clasped hands over mouth. “Don't worry about that. That's on everyone's mind when they do something. You can't worry about what might happen and how much it might hurt if you get rejected. You can fall in love without falling, now can you? Hmm…I think I heard a song like that once… `You'll never fall in love, if you don't fall at all.' Pretty wise, don'tcha think?”
 
It wasn't until Hinata was out of the Hospital and halfway to the Kazekage's office, that she realized what Sasuke had said…and how much he had been right.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
“That was pretty evil of you, to force her to do that you know.” Sasuke addressed Haku who had hidden herself behind a genjutsu when Hinata walked into his room.
 
“Yeah, but we both know that if she puts it off anymore she'll miss out and Tenten will get your brother.” The brunette shimmered into view and sat down next to Sasuke who had closed his eyes in thought.
 
“Is that really so bad? I have nothing against Hinata but…does it really matter who `gets' him? Either way he'll end up with a strong girlfriend.”
 
“I guess not…” Haku seemed to have a pout on her face. “But I really wanted Hinata to get to him first!”
 
Sasuke laughed at the expression on his companions face. “Riiiiight and it has nothing to do with the fact that she's your best friend or the bet going on between my mom and Kurenai.”
 
Haku adopted a shocked façade. “Why….I'm shocked that you would suggest such a bias!”
 
“Whatever you say…whatever you say.” Sasuke rolled his eyes in fake annoyance.
 
The ice mistress let out a giggle before beginning to baby Sasuke and look over him in retaliation for that remark.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA