Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Testing Grounds ❯ Fear ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Two:Fear

Disclaimer: Tori-Tori-Uma-Tora-Uma-Ryu-Hebi-O-hitsuji-Saru-Inu! Shoji Naruto Manga no Jutsu! (Naruto Manga owning technique) Darnit! I missed! If I angled it just a little more to the left, it might have worked. ::points to trophies on shelf:: My aim is better with a sword. I still don't own Naruto.

Iruka made it to the school yard just in time. He was afraid he would be late for duty but he wasn't. The children poured into the play ground as the first bell rang. Iruka wandered around the play ground making sure all the children within it behaved themselves. "Iruka-sensei?" The teacher felt a tug on his jacket and looked down. There was a small child around eight years old looking up at him.

"Yes, Ichimaru?"

"Can you show me the sign for Uma? My brother told me that I'm doing it wrong." asked the boy, a little shy.

"Why don't you show me. Then I'll help you." Iruka asked with a smile.

"Ok." Ichimaru put his hands in the position for what he thought Uma was.

"I see the problem. Try it...this way." Iruka took the child's hands and put his fingers in the right position. "There you go. We're going to work on these a little more in class today."

"Thank you, sensei!" The child beamed and ran back to his friends.

Iruka walked for a few minutes around the play ground and a thought hit him. Wait a minute. His class hasn't learned that seal yet! A loud pop was heard in the play ground. Iruka turned in the direction of the sound and found a group of children standing in a circle, laughing. He rushes over to the group and finds two children within the circle facing each other about ready to launch a jutsu attack. "Whoa...Stop right there, you two. I'm glad that you want to practice in your spare time but this is not the place to do it. People could get hurt and property destroyed. Come with me..." He screamed at the kids. He looks around for another adult on the playground and yells, "Ebisu...I'm taking these two inside." With the children in tow he enters the building and heads for the headmaster's office.

Iruka knocks on the headmaster's door, "Come," is heard from inside. The trio enter the office. "Yes...I saw what happened outside. You can go, Iruka. I'll take care of this."

"Thank you, sir." Upon leaving the office, Iruka breathed a sigh of relief. He goes to the teacher's lounge to pick up his mail and heads for his classroom.

Iruka enters his classroom, sits at his desk and looks at his mail. He found a couple Teacher's Aid catalogues, a few other pieces of junk mail and puts them aside. He opens up a letter from Kakashi and reads it...

Dear Iruka,

Congratulations! I just heard about the new selection. Good luck!

Hatake Kakashi.

Upon reading this note, Iruka's eyes became wide and his mouth dropped. "What selection? I didn't hear anything about it!" There was one more letter on his desk and he opens it.

To Umino Iruka:

This is to inform you that you have been selected to take the next Jounin Selection Exam starting on the 10th of April at 10 a.m. Enclosed is your application for the exam. Congratulations and good luck!

Sandaime Hokage.

As Iruka finished the last letter the bell rang. He sat at his desk in a daze, staring at the letter. I don't know if I'm ready for this. I'll talk to the Hokage after school.

"Iruka-sensei?" One of the students was trying to get their teacher's attention but he didn't answer. "Iruka-sensei?!" The student spoke a little louder and still no answer. "IRUKA-SENSEI??!!" The same student bellowed.

"Hmmm?....what?" said the startled and confused teacher.

"The bell rang. It's time to start class. Are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm fine. I was just...thinking...." Iruka quickly locked the letters in his desk and picked up his attendance sheet. "Time for class? Alright then...everyone quiet for roll call."
__________

The day didn't go fast enough for Iruka. All he wanted to do was go home and be with his own thoughts. But first, he needed to speak with the Hokage. He walks down the hall in the direction of the Hokage's office. The man in question is walking toward him.

"Hokage-sama, may I speak with you for a moment?"

"Yes, Iruka...what can I do for you?" asked the Hokage as they entered the office. "Please, sit."

"Well...I...it's..." Iruka wasn't sure how to bring the subject up.

"Is this about the Jounin exam?" The Hokage queried.

Iruka looks down at his hands and sighed, "Yes, sir."

"Iruka, I've known you for many years and have watched you grow into a fine young man. You have been like a son to me. I have every confidence in you that you will pass."

"I appreciate that Hokage-sama, but I..."

"I want to see you become Jounin before I go into the next world."

"..."

"Iruka, please come with me. I need to show you something." The Hokage stands and leaves his office, Iruka follows him. They walk to the courtyard behind the missions office. Behind that is a view of the Hokage monument.

"Iruka, I sense fear within you and that's alright." The Hokage gestures toward the mountain and adds, "Look at those faces. They have all known that emotion. They feared for this village and did everything they possibly could to protect it and the people within. Fear is a good thing. Fear is what made them strong. When that fear becomes doubt, that becomes the destroyer. You can lose yourself, your battles, your life. Don't let that overtake you."

"I understand, Hokage-sama."

"Good. I've arranged for you to take a leave of absence from all of your duties starting tomorrow. Take some time out to think about what I've told you."

To be continued: