Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ We Belong Together ❯ Chapter 1

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

We Belong Together
 
 
Disclaimer~I do not own Naruto and Company so no suing. Sorry I have not been around but I have been working my butt off and I have not been able to keep up with the show or manga or ANYTHING so if anything seems out of place just consider this an AU sort of thing, still same stuff, same era, charactors, etc, just no timeline and not following the show whatsoever as far as plot lines goes lol. Pardon spelling mistakes and all that jazz. Much huggles and smiles Mija...:-) BTW this is a ONE-SHOT!
 
 
 
 
He sat across the street in a small tea house as he tried to look as if he truely was NOT looking at the two men across the street in a sushi bar. He read his book and although most of his face was covered with mask up to the nose and his ninja headband hung over his left eye and his other exposed eye looked disinterested and bored almost, it really wasn't fooling the small group of teenage ninja seated further back into the tea house. If anyone knew their sensei then it was team seven and they had learned how to read him well over the years, even with most of his face covered and his extremely superior skills.
 
"He is soo gone man...look at him...anyone who looks could tell he is soo not over Iruka sensei at ALL...I don't care what Kakashi sensei says." Naruto noted as he stared over at his latest sensei, who was busy covertly watching, his other sensei. It was no secret to anyone in the village that Kakashi and Iruka had been dating each other for about six months, till Kakashi suddenly decided that things were not working out and broke up with the deceptivly calm and innocent looking academy teacher.
 
Iruka had been crushed when Kakashi had broken up with him, he had actually believed they had a future. It was also no secret that even before they had started to date, Iruka sensei had had a major crush on the silver haired jounin. But Kakashi had said things were going to fast and that he wasn't sure if a relationship is what he wanted, he came out with the whole, 'its not you, its me' speach before he told Iruka he thought they should see other people and take a "Time Out". Iruka was not happy about that, and just told Kakashi to go fuck himself and if he wanted some time out then he would give him all the time he needed, in fact he would give him all the out he wanted, because as far as Iruka was concerned if Kakashi so much as walked out that door thinking they would see other people and have some foolish time out bullshit, then it was over, end of discussion. Kakashi had walked out and Iruka had destroyed his apartment in a fit of rage then moped for three days till Naruto had dragged his sorry butt out of his apartment and made him get his crap together. Now, only three months after the so called break up, Iruka was across the street in the sushi bar with an academy school friend. It was not secret that the man known as Hisoki Ryu had had a major crush on Iruka far longer than Iruka had had on Kakashi sensei. It had taken awhile but now that it was no secret that Iruka preferred the male gender as dating materiel, Ryu had gone after Iruka like a bunch of pre-ninja in a shuriken shop.
 
Kakashi of course had dated a few guys himself. The first time he had gone out with a guy none of them were all that familiar with, only a few weeks after he broke things off with Iruka. Which only inflamed the school teacher, who had wanted nothing more than to castrate his former silver haired lover and shove his penis up his OWN ass and ask him how he liked being the one screwed in the butt. Of course he did none of that, but it had cleared his mind and conscience enough that he allowed Ryu to persue him. After a few dates it seemed like both Ryu and Iruka were hitting it off well. They got along great and were always laughing and passing intimate touches here and there when they were in public. Something Kakashi was never to big on, Kakashi hadn't liked public displays of affection much, something Iruka always DID enjoy. Not to mention that Iruka and his new partner really clicked and had lots of things in common. They never ran out of things to talk about, and Iruka never felt like Ryu thought he was better than Iruka because of their ranking, not that Kakashi ever did anything intentional to make Iruka seem inferior, but sometimes Kakashi would just do things that made Iruka feel as if Kakashi thought him weak. Some things had been touching at first, but after awhile Iruka had to remind Kakashi on several occasions that he was NOT a GIRL, and he was a ninja to boot who could actually look after HIMSELF, thank you very much.
 
"Geez..great observational skills dobe, it took you all this time to BARELY come up with that simple fact?" Sasuke asked as he drank some of his tea and looked bored, but something in his never changing bored non intrested look, showed that Sasuke too, was not oblivious to the feelings Kakashi still habored over thier academy sensei. In a hidden village where ninja died daily, it was not uncommon for all ninja to find comfort and love where they could, so it wasn't frowned upon or even rare that there were many male/male couples through out their village. But as for Sasuke he had been a bit surprised that Kakashi and Iruka had hooked up, they seemed like two totally oppisite people, like night and day, two things that could not co-exist with each other. But after he'd seen them together on many occasions, he had come to the realization that for what ever reasons and all that, they had clicked, they had made a great couple. He had actually thought they would last till one of them breathed thier last breath of life. So he had been shocked when things had gone south and ended between his two favorite sensei's. He was actually a bit worried for Kakashi sensei, who he was much closer to, if you could call thier odd sort of bond close. Kakashi had NOT been acting like himself for sometime now and this worried Sasuke.
 
"Maybe we should try to do something, I mean this is just stupid, anyone can see that Kakashi sensei is still head over heels in love with Iruka sensei and even though Iruka looks happy with Ryu sensei, he doesnt seem to have that same spark he used to when he was with Kakashi sensei, I just know Iruka still cares for Kakashi sensei, if only they could just make up and fix things, then they could be happy again." came Sakura's response as she sighed tiredly and sadly, she cared for both her sensei's very much and as someone who had a crush on a man who did not return her devotion, she could relate to how Kakashi sensei must feel right now and it hurt her to think he was in any sort of pain.
 
"Hell NO...I mean I like Kakashi sensei as much as both of you, hell when he got with Iruka sensei..sure I freaked for a bit but..."
 
"A bit? we had to hold you down and tie you to your bed dobe." Sasuke cut in with a smirk. Naruto glared at him and gave a small growl deep in his throat.
 
"Ya Naruto I swear If I didn't know that Kakashi sensei would kick your butt all over Konoha and back I might of been worried about his safety, but seriously, you acted like someone had taken away your favorite toy when you found out..you can be soo inmature sometimes." added Sakura with a giggle, watching the red spread across the blonds face and the glare and hurt look he shot over at thier female teammate. Sakura ruffled his spikey golden locks and smiled at him to let him know that she was teasing and that there was no real sting in her words. She had come to care for both her male teammates more than she ever thought she would, especially Naruto, who had this uncanny way of getting himself deep under your skin and into a niche in your heart where you couldn't cut him out, no matter how hard you tried, there was just something about him that made you care for him, even if he was an idiot at times. He made up for it in more ways than you could ever count.
 
"Whatever...what I'm trying to say is I feel for Kakashi sensei, really I do, but honestly he bought this crap on himself and you know I'm right...he's the one who broke up with Iruka sensei and wanted to "SEE" other people remember?" Naruto asked, frowning and having his hands out and making the quote gesture as he said the SEE word.
 
"And rember what Iruka sensei was like just afterwards? Iruka was a total mess when Kakashi dumped him, you can't tell me you guys didn't want to put some serious hurt on Kakashi sensei at the time and now that Iruka finally looks happy again? When he looks like he's finally getting over the pain and hurt Kakashi caused him, you want to interfere in Iruka sensei's relationship? For what?! So Kakashi sensei doesn't go around looking like someone stole his precious Icha Icha book? Well count me out...I care about them both, but Iruka was devistated when Kakashi sensei screwed him over and now that hes finally happy again I'm not gonna be a part of screwing that up for him for the guy who caused him all that pain to begin with." Naruto stated firmly, crossing his arms over his chest and giving them his stubborn and 'no one can budge me' look. Both Sasuke and Sakura sighed but both admitted, if only to themselves, Naruto was right. Kakashi bought this on himself and it wouldn't be fair to Iruka sensei to mess with his new found happiness, even if it didn't look like the same happiness he had with Kakashi, it was still genuine happiness and they wouldn't do anything to take that away from the sensei who had taught them how to not only fight, to live and survive, but to remain human and not let go of that which made them human beings and not just tools to be used and discarded.
 
***************************************************************** *****
 
It was driving him nuts. It had been a month now that Iruka and Ryu had become a serious couple and just seeing them together all lovey dovey made Kakashi want to puke, or strangle the brown haired sensei that had stolen HIS Iruka's heart. Ok, Kakashi would admit he had made a small error in judgement, at least to himself he would. He would admit that when he was with Iruka things had been good...ooh so very good and not just the sex, although that had been the best thing in his opinion, he had had a good all around relationship with his raven haired lover. So why break it off you ask? Frankly fear. Yup thats right, Kakashi admitted, again if only to himself, that he had been scared. All his life he had gone through his life not really getting attached to people. People he cared for, people who cared for him ended up dying and leaving him all alone to live in a very cruel and harsh world.
 
When Kakashi had figured out that he could actually picture a life with Iruka in long term relationship, it freaked him out. He started to think of all the things that could go wrong and how devestated he would be if anything happened to Iruka. He didn't want to be left alone again and in a world where ninja tended to die more often then not, it was a good chance that Iruka could die. Ya he was a school teacher and a bit safer so to speak than most ninja, but he was still a ninja and to keep his status and when ever the Godaime felt like it, she would send him out on missions, can't have any of her ninja get soft and rusty now could she? So when he thought about it more and more and practically started to hyperventilate at the thought of being left behind again, he panicked. He decided things were going to fast and wanted to put some space between them, even see other people to see if what they had was the REAL deal. Of course he had not expected Iruka to take the news calmly and graciously. Some people could be so decieved by his sweet smile and large brown doe eyes, but the people who really knew Iruka, knew that he was not so innocent or so calm. Ya he was nice and he was polite and gracious and caring, but for those who knew him, they knew not to take that as a weakness because he was more than that, he was a ninja with skills and with a hell of a temper.
 
But honestly, Kakashi had NOT expected Iruka to just break it off completly. He honestly thought Iruka would go along and agree. He figured Iruka had been having some of the same thoughts as him and wouldn't mind some time apart and maybe a few dates with other people to see if things between them were really as great as they seemed. So he had been wrong. Iruka did NOT take the news well and Iruka was not in agreement with him and Iruka was not happy about his suggestion at ALL. So Iruka gave him a choice, reconsider what he had said or call it quites for good. All Kakashi had to do was NOT walk out of that damn door. Yes he was a genious, but he was a man and a stubborn one to boot and he did NOT like ultimatums. So he had walked out and the moment he had closed that door and heard the first sound of breaking wood as Iruka put his fist threw the wall in his apartment, Kakashi had known he'd made the biggest mistake of his life. But did he walk back in and ask for forgiveness? Did he try to make things better? Nope. He went home, stripped down and took a hot scolding shower to wash Iruka's wonderful scent off of him and then a cold one to releave the hard on he had gotten just thinking about what great sex they used to have in the bathroom during showers.
 
So Kakashi had did what he said he was going to do, he had asked a guy out a week after breaking up with Iruka. It had been ok, the sex was good, the conversation passable and the guy a well around good guy, but he wasn't Iruka. He tried a few more dates and came to the conclusion that no matter how many people he dated, male or female, and no matter how could they were together, he was always comparing them to Iruka. And why did he do that you ask? Cause Iruka was all he could think of, Iruka was in his heart, his soul, a huge part of his being, his life and Kakashi realized that that was what life really was. Yes Iruka could die, Kakashi could die and end up leaving Iruka alone and broken, but for the time they had they could and would be happy together. Iruka had no doubt come to that conclusion along time ago. It had taken him, genious Hatake Kakashi a bit longer, but he too had come to the same conclusion.
 
But it was too late. By this time Iruka had moved on and started dating. Not like Kakashi had of course, Iruka was not a prude by all means, but he wasn't the type to hop in bed with every man he met either. So he was dating a guy he knew from the academy, someone who Kakashi had known from day one, had a crush on his mocha colored sensei. And it killed Kakashi inside everytime he saw them together. They looked good with each other, always talking and laughing, giving each other a few intimate touches here and there with shy but lusty smiles at one another. It was driving Kakashi crazy, even if he didn't show it, it was killing him. Iruka was HIS! They belonged together, not Iruka and Ryu but Kakashi and Iruka. Now all he had to do was figure out how to get his true love back, but how?
 
********************************************************
 
It was late and Iruka was tired. Ryu had taken him out to dinner and a movie, then they had a few drinks at a local bar as they talked for hours. Finally Iruka had had to call it a night. At the moment he was in front of his darkened front step as he tried to unlock his door, but just as the key slid in he sighed and let his shoulders slump. A part of him had dreamed of this moment, but a bigger part had wanted it to never happen at all.
 
"What are you doing here Kakashi?" Iruka asked the darkness, never turning from facing his door. He did not want to see Kakashi. It had been bad enough to see him with other men when they had first broken up. And even after he had started dating Ryu and hating Kakashi for hurting him like he did, it had still hurt to see him around town, it was hard to avoid the silver haired man when he wasn't trying to hide himself.
 
"How did you know I was here?" came the strong timber of Kakashi's voice from not far behind Iruka's back. The very sound of his voice sent a delicious but painful chill down his back and pooled in his abdomen. Kakashi had always had that affect on him. His voice alone had always turned Iruka on like no ones bussiness.
 
"I'm a ninja too remember?"
 
"Of course I remember, I've never forgotten it for a moment."
 
"Really? Funny, there were times I could swear you did." Iruka replied sarcasticly and a bit snappishly, but he could not help it and frankly he simply did not give a damn how he sounded as he turned to face the man who would always have a huge piece of his heart.
 
"What do you WANT Kakashi?" Iruka asked yet again, this time facing the man that still haunted his dreams at night.
 
"I want to talk, what else?"
 
"Talk? About what? I don't think there is anything we need to talk about..you said everything you needed to say that day months ago, and frankly what ever you have to say NOW? I don't want to hear."
 
"Iruka I'm sorry...I made a mistake...I was wrong, I didn't mean what I said back then and I know I hurt you but you have to believe me when I tell you that I would do anything in this world to make what happened dissapear...I miss you Iruka...I love you." Kakashi replied, putting everything he had on the line, putting his heart out there to dangle in front of the man who could crush him with just a look or make him the happiest man with just a smile. Regardless of the outcome, Kakashi would not regret doing this, Iruka was worth it.
 
"Your right..you are sorry, a sorry excuse for a man and hell yes you made a mistake a huge one...I would of given and done anything for you Kakashi..I loved you so much that it practically tore me in two when you called things off with me...but I cant forget what happened or what you said, no matter how much I wish I could."
 
"Loved? So your saying you don't love me anymore Iruka? Are you saying that when you look at me I don't make your heart beat just a bit faster? That when our eyes catch across a crowded room, memories of how good we were together doesn't flood your head? Are you telling me that you don't wish just a little that we were still together?" Kakashi asked with bit to his tone, fire in his eyes as he got closer to Iruka and looked down at him with all the passion he had in his soul. Iruka sighed.
 
"I wanted nothing more than to cut your dick off and shove it up your ass when you broke my heart and started dating other men...and I admit, when I see you my heart does skip a beat and my hands get a bit sweaty..and yes, there are lots of times when our eyes meet that I cant help but remember how your eyes looked as you made love to me over and over again all night long...and if you want me to be totally honest yes Kakashi I still love you...I think I will always love you."
 
"Then what is there left to discuss? You know we belong together Iruka...I made a mistake and I will live the rest of my life trying to make it up to you, but please tell me you believe that we belong together too, that you still love me as much as I love you?"
 
"I already told you Kakashi...I will always love you...I think you were my first true love and you will always have a large part of my heart....and do I think we belong together? Hell ya...I've always believed we belonged together and I still do."
 
"Then why do you look like you do? Why do I hear a but coming up?"
 
"Because regardless of what I believe and how I feel, I also know something that is just as true....when things got serious, you got scared...you ran, when I felt the same way but was willing to take what I could get as long as we were together...I put everything into our relationship and did everything I could to shake those fears and fight for us...you didn't you ran and hurt me in the process....I don't want to go threw that again Kakashi...I don't ever want to feel that sort of pain and loss again."
 
"You won't! I swear Iruka you WONT! I will do what ever it takes to make things right to show you I do believe in us...that I am not scared of us anymore...that we were meant to be."
 
"You know what Kakashi...I believe you would, or would at least try, but even if you did everything right from this point on, it wouldn't be enough because when it really counted you let me down...you ran and I swore that if you walked out on me that night I would never let you have the chance to do that to me again....I may not be as happy with Ryu as I was with you, he may not be the things you were to me, but I do care for him and he honestly cares for me...I don't know if it will work or fail, but I owe it to me and to him to try...just because you FINALLY got some guts and decided to tell me how you truely feel and face the fear you expect me to forget all that you did to cause me pain, and to add to that you expect me to hurt someone who cares deeply for me the same way you hurt me...I can't and wont do that Kakashi...so do I believe we belong together? Yes. Will we be together? I'm not an oracle or a time travler I can't tell you what will happen in the future, but for now...for right now...I know that being with you would cause me and others more harm than good and I'm not willing to do that...I'm not willing to take the chance that you might hurt me again and I wont hurt Ryu like that either...so although I appreciate you candor and your heart felt words, I can't and won't take you back...its over Kakashi...I've moved on regardless of how much it hurt and still does, I moved on and I suggest you do the same...goodbye Kakashi." Iruka said with all seriousness and finality as he opened his door and walked in, closing it behind him, leaving Kakashi on the porch speechless and his heart bleeding.
 
Not knowing what else to do Kakashi just stood there with a dazed look on his face. Inside Iruka leaned against the doorframe and breathed in deep, a single tear falling from his eye. It had hurt, it had been hard, but Iruka believed with all his heart he had done the right thing. Loosing Kakashi once had almost killed him, and he would not risk that sort of pain ever again. His relationship with Ryu was not perfect and Ryu understood Iruka's feelings for Kakashi and was willing to continue to win his heart. Ryu was the sort of man he always wanted and finally had. So what if his heart was feeling as if it had been diced by a kunai? That didn't matter, because if he gave Kakashi another chance he was sure he would feel far worse pain if Kakashi left him again, or died on him and Iruka would rather have a happy life with Ryu than risk that sort of pain again. So what if he didn't love Ryu like he had Kakashi? He still cared for him and could honestly say he might even love him. It wasn't the same love as he had with Kakashi but it was good and he deserved to have a love like that.
 
Outside Kakashi held in the pain and walked off into the darkness. He wanted to howl at the moon and cry out in fury. He could not ever remember having felt this sort of pain ever in his life. He had taken a risk, one he did not regret but one that left him feeling hollow and more alone than he had ever felt before in his life. He didn't know what would happen in the future either, if he was smart he would end all this misery, but his survival instinct was too ingrained and strong that he knew he would survive and eventually move on, but he knew he would never forget the only man who he would ever truely love for the rest of his miserable life.
 
 
The End.
 
 
A/N~ok no one kill me...cant help it, I know the ending sucked big time, but when I started this I never intended them to get back together, but I wanted Kakashi to regret breaking up with Iruka and miss him, and get jealous of the OTHER man in Iruka's life. So I do appologize that the ending was not ideal but this is the way I wanted to story to go. Hope you still enjoy it on some level. Much huggles and smiles Mija...:-)