Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Weapon Encounters of the Third Kind ❯ Flashlight ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Toboe LoneWolf: Okay, I'm totally serious in this chapter. Absolutely serious. Seriously serious. Most definitely serious. Dare I hint at sarcasm? XDDDDD
 
Disclaimer: Toboe LoneWolf does not own Naruto. Seriously.
 
--------------------
 
Weapon: Flashlight
AKA: Illumination
of Enlightenment (Or Something Thereabouts)
 
Flashlight:
Let there be light!
 
It was becoming a more and more frequent occurrence. Before leaving to go off on a mission, Team Gai made their rendezvous meeting place at Ichiraku. It was in a central location, easy to find, and…well, if they were going to wait, they might as well wait at Ichiraku.
 
And where Ichiraku is, there Naruto be also. Or so the saying goes.
 
"Ne, ne, so what's your mission, fuzzy brows?" Naruto slurped more ramen.
 
Lee grinned. "We have been called to enlighten a man living in most lonely solitude with the springtime of youth!"
 
"Wha?"
 
"We have orders to capture a man in the outskirts of Fire country. We have suspicion to believe he may have had contact with the black market." Neji crossed his arms, leaning against Ichiraku's outside wooden post.
 
Naruto nodded sagely even though he had no idea why Konoha would take such a mission. He swallowing loudly, smiling as he felt the ramen go down. He looked around as he bent his head to take another bite. "Hey, where's that weapons girl…you know, bun girl, bon bon, no wait—"
 
"Tenten." Neji turned to look down the street. "She wanted to get something…"
 
"OKAY GUYS, LET'S GO!"
 
"AAAAAAHH!"
 
Naruto leapt up and screamed as he saw a bright, lit up face in a halo of white looming in front of him, with scary round horns and a devilish grin.
 
Then the horror receded and Naruto saw Tenten with an impish grin, shining a flashlight up at her face.
 
"Haha, got you!" Tenten laughed, tilting her flashlight right at Naruto.
 
Naruto made a face as he shielded his eyes (and bowl). "You almost made me spill my ramen!"
 
Tenten ignored Naruto's complaint and switched off her flashlight, resting it on her shoulder. She grinned at her teammates. "Okay! Let's go!"
 
Neji frowned. "You went back to get a flashlight?"
 
Tenten shrugged. "Figured it could be useful at nighttime. We're still within Konoha borders, and this isn't a huge stealth mission so it's not like the light would ruin our mission if we use our heads. Lot easier to use a flashlight than waste chakra."
 
"Yeah, well, then you'd better not try pulling that joke on him," Naruto grumbled, back to slurping his ramen. "No one would really fall for that."
 
"Well, no…" Tenten mused. "But I'd bet this would!"
 
Bonk!
 
"OW!"
 
"I could always use the flashlight as a club!"
 
"Yes, Tenten-san! Let us use the flashlight of youth!"
 
"…Can we go now…?"
 
x x x x x
 
Every so often, Tenten would get obsessed with some particular object or weapon.
 
"What? I could!"
 
"That is not the proper use of a flashlight."
 
"Screw proper. Come on, Neji. It could totally work."
 
"…We are not going to test unusual application of objects during a mission."
 
"You're no fun." Pause. "I have got to teach you. Lee, you're with me, right?"
 
And there would be no dissuading her.
 
x x x x x
 
Neji closed his eyes, relaxing his Byakugan. "He's on the northwest side, 21 degrees, facing towards the small side window. Papers in the desk south of him, two meters away, 17 degrees. The ones we likely need are in the third bundle from the top. Drugs in the cabinet underneath his desk, locked in a box, easy enough to break. Simple traps near front door."
 
Lee and Tenten nodded. Team Gai was hiding in the bushes near their target's house. It was nighttime, and true to Tsunade's description, the area around their target's house was completely deserted except for the wildlife (which included squirrels, much to Lee's delight). Lee raised his hand. "Right. Formation, Neji-kun?"
 
"Aa," Neji narrowed his eyes, planning. "Tenten, break open the window. Lee, be her backup. If you can, take him down. I'll go in from the front; I'll have the easiest time working past the traps. That way, we'll trap him inside, if needed."
 
Tenten gave a thumbs-up. "Okay. Lee, let's go."
 
Lee gave a thumbs-up and started tiptoeing away. "Yes. Sneakily."
 
Tenten rolled her eyes and followed. Leaping up into the night sky the two of them landed softly on top of their target's roof. Tenten reached behind her buns, pulling out a set of lock-picks. Placing one in between her teeth, she twisted over, using chakra to support her as she turned upside down to work on the window's locks.
 
Lee knelt down. "How is it?"
 
Tenten whispered through the metal in her mouth. "Aa, easy enough. One more turn and…ha! We're in." Tilting her head, she listened carefully. "Neji's through too."
 
"Ready, then? Let's go."
 
Tenten shushed Lee. "No, wait. I've got an idea."
 
"What?"
 
"Something to make things a lot faster…and perhaps more interesting. Besides, Neji's already through by now."
 
"Eh? Tenten-san, what are you—"
 
"AHOY, MISTER! WE'RE ON TO YOU!"
 
"Tenten!"
 
"MWUHAHAHAHAHA!"
 
Lee never thought such an evil laugh could come out of his teammate's mouth. Something so devious and diabolic should never come out of their precious flower! And their precious flower should not smile in such a twisted way, nor should she abuse the use of the flashlight of youth in the name of trickery!
 
(Although perhaps using the light and power of youth was a good thing, Lee supposed. For a microsecond.)
 
"SO COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP! OR I'LL EAT YOU!"
 
"Aiiiyiiiiieeeeee!"
 
Neji had no idea of what was happening outside. He'd made it inside, and the cool breeze told him that Tenten had succeeded in opening the window. Footsteps padding softly, he advanced towards the bedroom.
 
Then all of sudden there was light coming out of the bedroom, and Tenten yelling something, and their target running and screaming towards him. Automatically Neji slammed his palm into their target's stomach, effectively knocking him out. Confused, Neji dragged him back towards the bedroom.
 
"Oi Neji, you got him?" Tenten slipped into the room through the window. A flashlight, still turned on, was in her right hand. "Hah. Told you; it really did work."
 
Neji frowned. "What worked?"
 
Then he remembered.
 
He'd forgotten to forbid her to use—
 
"The flashlight!"
 
Tenten grinned and brought the flashlight back up to her face. By whatever laws of optical physics Tenten's face was retransformed to the terrible face with gaping hollow black eyes, elongated fangs, pale, whitened skin and smoky background (however any of that was possible).
 
"Hah, fright by light."