Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ What am I to you? ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Naruto paced around his room in the middle of the night. ANBU guards hadn't shown up yet for his arrest. What he had done was punishable. The Council and the citizens of Konoha were afraid of him, or rather, of what he carried inside of him. He fisted his hands wondering why he had lost control.
He was angry, yes, still angry at what Sasuke did to him. It was branded on his heart, yes, but it didn't give him an excuse to attack his friends, some of the friends he only had. He wouldn't argue with Kiba if he hated him and never forgiven him.
Naruto propped down on his couch and placed a pillow on his lap rubbing his temple. He wanted to beat something. His house was already trashed and some of the walls damaged by his anger. He loved the house and he wanted Sakura to one time to come live here with him. He didn't want to destroy the house in anger.
It would have been a good idea to go out and train to release all the tension and anger he felt but he had a feeling that he would run into someone familiar. Word traveled fast and he didn't know what to say when someone he knew asked him why he had attacked Kiba. He was guilty as shit already.
And so angry.
How sure was he that he wouldn't attack someone again out of anger.
He switched his legs' position abruptly, from the couch to the floor. His hands sunk into his yellow locks. He needed to talk to someone. However, he didn't have the courage. Who would believe him anyway? Who would? Sasuke was like a perfect image to everyone.
If he said anything absurd that could ruin Sasuke's image, he could end up in a mental hospital. Naruto heard a knock on his door. He got to his feet strolling to the door with shame on his face. So, they were here for him. He got to the door and opened it. He met wary, pale ones. This surprised him. “Hinata?”
She opened her mouth and her eyes collected with more tears. “It-it's…”
“Whoa, what?” He looked at her all confused.
She inhaled and exhaled loudly. “Sakura…”
Naruto's eyes widened terrified. “What? What is wrong with Sakura!” He didn't even waste time for he stooped putting on his sandals.
She just sobbed. “She-she was attacked. N-Naruto. I'm so sorry.”
He wanted to cry too. If anything happened to Sakura, if anything, he was going to lose it. He was going to kill this time whoever had dared hurt her. He touched Hinata and transferred them to the hospital, in Sakura's room to find it empty. He looked around for her but the only thing he smelled was her blood.
“Where is she at?!”
Hinata sobbed louder. “She is in the operating room.”
Naruto looked at Hinata. She was always professional even at seeing a harshly wounded patient. But whatever had happened to Sakura must have shaken her up. He disappeared from the room following where Sakura's chakra exceeded.
He found the old hag and many other nurses surrounding a bed.
Naruto ignored all of them and pushed through some of them to look at her, to see if it was Sakura. He fell on his knees seeing her bruised up face. “Oh my God,” he muttered.
“Naruto get out of here! Who allowed him in here?!” Lady Tsunade said in a firm voice.
Naruto refused to leave and caught Sakura's limp hand bringing it to his lips. “Like hell I'm leaving,” he said gruffly. Who did this to her? Who would dare?
Kit, she will be okay.
N-no, she won't! Whoever did this is going to die!
Something isn't right about all this.
I will kill him Kyuubi! I will!
Hn.
A man did this to her when she was too helpless to fight back!
We will get our revenge back but you need to calm down and use your head.
You want me to calm down! huh?! She is bloody and bruised! I failed her again. I should have been there to protect her!
Shut the fuck up! You will hurt yourself if you keep going like this.
This isn't about me!
You are truly pathetic.
His eyes widened locking with Sakura's slender fingers. It had been a long since Kyuubi had called him that word. Was he pathetic? It was true though. He hadn't been able to protect Sakura or bring Sasuke back.
I can't believe I'm going to say this.
She isn't yours to protect.
Naruto pushed the Kyuubi away at hearing that. She wasn't his to protect? What the hell was Kyuubi talking about? Oh well, that didn't matter. She was his to protect and that wasn't to be questioned. He closed his eyes, worshiped her hand with kisses before he reopened his eyes, and looked down at her now pretty face.
The nurses and the old hag might have healed the surface but the inside was still bleeding. He was really worried about her mental-wellbeing when she woke up.
--
Neji watched Naruto from the glass of the door to Haruno's room. Naruto was sitting on the stool stroking her hand. Neji finally gave up. Naruto stayed every night and day beside her bed waiting for her to wake up. She had been in a comma for the past three weeks.
Neji never understood the word love until Naruto. Naruto had a way of making people believe in something that they thought impossible. Before, Neji had doubted that there was such a thing as true love.
Naruto changed his belief.
Neji walked away from the door and went down the hallway. That was Naruto indeed. He made you believe the impossible.
Fine. He would help him out.
Neji never thought that he would ever respect Naruto ever, but here he was respecting Naruto when Naruto didn't even ask for his respect.
He felt Hinata's chakra behind him. A smile graced on his lips before he turned to face his cousin. He bowed when he knew that she was in close distance.
“My lady,” he then looked up to look into her eyes.
She smiled back at him. “You really don't have to be formal with me.”
She always told him that but he insisted on it. “I disagree.”
He studied her face and saw her wrinkled eyebrows and circles around her eyes. “Is something the matter?”
She nodded and put her arms over her hips.
“I know that I shouldn't let my emotions get in the way of my profession. But, I-I can't help myself.” She sadly lowered her gaze to the floor.
“Sakura called for help when the invader attacked her but I didn't hear her. She was vulnerable Neji and drugged-”
“What happened can't be changed. Just the matter of how. You can change the future, Lady Hinata.”
“Thank you.”
“Don't stress yourself.”
“I will try.”
“No, do it. Don't try.”
“Thank you Neji.”
“Anytime, my Lady.”
He hated seeing his cousin stressed out but the thing was he couldn't protect her from everything. He could be there for her however and comfort her when she needed comfort.
His eyes moved to the folder she hugged so tightly to her chest. “Haruno is going to be okay Lady Hinata.”
“Thank you again Neji, I will see you later,” she said and started walking away.
He smiled softly but then looked down on the floor.
His thoughts moved to what had been disturbing him lately.
The Council had made everyone that knew the truth about what happened to Sakura to seal their lips and not let word get out to the citizens of Konoha. Then when Sakura got attacked, the Council then proceeded to use that fact as a return of Sakura from the mission.
It was clear the Council didn't want to scare the citizens.
He never questioned the Council's decisions before until now.
It was as though they had ordered the attack to take place.
That was the only explanation of why what happened to Sakura.
But, then there was Uchiha.
How did that body disappear without detection of any source or clue of how that body disappeared?
For now, it was just assumptions. However, one thing was that Uchiha was still alive. That jutsu he used just made him wonder how really strong Uchiha was and what other dark, forbidden jutsus he knew.
It wouldn't surprise him though that Sasuke Uchiha might be here in Konoha village.
His eyes narrowed. That was why he was going to protect what was his.