Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ What it Means to be Loved ❯ Time Stops Here ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Time stops for no one...

It seemed to stop in Konoha though.  The day when she entered the Blossom House was the day time stood still for years.  

The time was dawn when she woke in a different bed in a different room.  All that remained the same was her younger sister sleeping silently beside her.  She reached over to wake her sleeping sister until she heard someone enter the room.  The young girl paused as she waited for the person to fully expose themselves.  The door clicked shut and an old woman appeared in the darkness of the early morning hours.  Her wrinkles moved slowly as a smile creeped on to her face.  Before the young girl could scream for help, the old woman held a finger to her lips, “You have been sold here, child.  As of now, you and your sister are under my care.”

Time stopped from then on.  Seasons passed, people grew older, but time never truly stopped.  Maybe it would be easier to understand why time stopped suddenly that day if this was told from an earlier point in time.

Amaya and Mori Hana were brought into the world with simple pleasures.  Their father worked while their mother remained home to care for them.  Amaya was the eldest sister by four years while Mori was the baby of the household.  Life was not lavished for them, just plain and simple.  While the children lived a carefree life of playing outside, the two parents had received word of a distant relative dying and their debts had to be paid.

This disturbed the parents due to the fact that the debt was larger than any income they could afford.  For months, nearly a year, they ignored the letter in hopes of the person seeking another family member.  It wasn't until one day that the family had come home from a group outing that they came home to a barren house.  All was taken.  

While the father searched the house, a group of men appeared in a room.  Without haste, the father was taken away to work off the debt.  The mother was forced to leave as well to a different place to work.  Upon leaving, the mother begged that her two daughters be taken to a relative's house.

This wasn't an option.  Against her wishes, the daughters were sold to the Blossom House.  That is where this begins.  Amaya, at the age of four, was sold as a slave with her sister to the Blossom House to work off her debt for her new master.  

Ten years has passed and time still has yet to move forward.  At the age of fourteen, she was no longer a slave, but a student learning the arts.  Amaya sat in the garden behind the mansion practicing her flute, trying to learn a tune she had remembered some years ago.  She paused for a moment as the wind picked up.  In the distance, she could hear her sister scrubbing the stone path not too far from her.  Memories flashed in her mind of the many times she scrubbed those same stones.  When the wind died down, Amaya started to play her haunted tune.

“Sister, can't you play something a little more lively?  That song is so sad,” Mori complained as she called out to her sister.

Amaya ignored her and continued to play her tune.  Mori was too young to understand the loss she had been through.  It was fine.  It was for the best that she never understood that pain of losing what used to be the norm.  When Amaya finished her tune, she turned to see Mori had walked over to her with a small grin, “Mama wants you to meet her in the study room later.”

“Did she send her servant?” Amaya asked as she glanced around for another female.

“I sent her away to tell you myself.  I think it's time...” Mori glanced away, her short, light brown curls tossing in the wind.

Amaya held her breath for a moment.  She knew what her little sister was talking about.  It was the time when a sakura blossom was plucked by the wind.  Then again, it was inevitable.  Amaya nodded slightly and stood up, her flute still in her grasp, “Then it is time.  I will see you later then.”

“Aren't you scared?” Mori quickly grabbed Amaya's wrist, “Isn't it going to hurt like the others have said?”

In truth, Amaya didn't know.  She shrugged as she had Mori release her wrist, “I'll tell you afterwords.”

She left Mori to finish her day-work as she went to the study room.  Inside the Blossom House was beautifully decorated.  Black marble flooring with statues and portraits of the forest around the village gave the Blossom House a sense of mythical surroundings.  It was all a lie.  Inside this mansion was just like any other brothel, except these customers were wealthier and had different tastes for art and culture rather than common whores.  Amaya had once loved the house, but over the years of cleaning and taking beatings from the working women there, she had grown detached from their world.  She kept her pace slow as to hold off her conversation with 'Mama', the old woman decided she would replace their own mother.

When she arrived at the study, Amaya opened the door and allowed herself in.  The old woman sat at her desk, going through the payments men have sent in for one of the women working there.  When Amaya took a seat in front of the desk, the old woman looked up at her, “Your chest is coming in nicely.  Surely when you're older, they'll be as big as Lady Hokage's.”

Amaya glanced downward shyly, she didn't want to be compared to Tsunade of all people.  The Lady Hokage would never even step foot into Blossom House, and why would she?  She had debts, but she was a ninja.  Amaya pushed the thought aside and looked back up at the old woman, “Mama, I was told you wanted to talk to me about something else.”

“Yes, yes, yes,” the old woman sighed as she closed her accounting book, “The time of the month has started for you about a year ago, yes?”

Before giving a response, the old woman continued, “Having you work long and hard has made your body nimble and strong.  You have studied the art of your flute for years and can lose a man to your dark songs.  I have given you plenty of clothes and make up.  I have sent you to parties to be seen by other men.  Now, it is time that you become a full-time worker here.”

A prostitute.  That's what the women were here.  Amaya didn't say that of course, but she knew the truth.  The Blossom House was a whore house.  She had enough sense to know now what her fate was now that she was of age to please a customer.  Amaya felt the cold, dry fingers snatch her jaw as the old woman examined Amaya's face, “Such lovely eyes, blue like a summer sky without clouds.  And as big as a full moon.  That is what catches the men first.  Then, they see your slender body and fall in love with your music.  Let us pray your sister will turn out as a fine prize as well.”

Amaya held her breath for a moment.  She couldn't let Mori go through this as well.  Thankfully, she had a few years to pay off their debt to the distant family and the Blossom House for caring for them.  But, in the meantime, she gave a small nod to the old woman.  A croaky laugh filled the silent room as the old woman lit her pipe, taking a long drag, “You have a large amount of cash on your head now.  To make it bigger, I will throw a party and invite all the rich men to listen to your flute.  Aren't you so lucky that your mother loves you!”

It was a reluctant nod, but it was also thankful as well.  Thankful because it would start taking her debt away.  In order to take a large chunk of that debt out, she would need to start a large bidding war.  Amaya was allowed to leave and went to her room as fast as she could.  The party would be in a few days, so she would need to prepare as much as she could to start the war.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next day, Mori was in the village putting up fliers for her sister's flute performance.  She felt some pride in knowing her sister was getting admired already, but she knew what the party was really about.  As she passed some fliers here and there, she came across a somewhat young man with silver hair eyeing one of the fliers.  He was a dressed as a ninja, but what would a ninja be doing attending such a party?  As much as Mori wanted to ask, she decided against it.  Instead, she continued to hand the fliers out to what looked to be wealthy men.

“You can't just give these out to anyone!  These are disgusting and demeaning to women!”

Mori glanced up to see a pink-haired kunoichi glaring at the flier in her hand.  She didn't say anything at first, continuing to pass out the fliers, until the kunoichi snatched the stack from her.  Then, Mori's temper started to show, “Give those back!  Those aren't yours!”

“Aren't you a little young to be doing these kinds of things!?  Don't you know what this is really for!?” the kunoichi got even louder, “Shouldn't you be in school or something!?”

“I am,” Mori lied as she crossed her arms, “Now give those back or you'll be in trouble!”

In truth, Mori would've been the one in trouble, but she didn't bring that part up.  She growled angrily when she saw the kunoichi toss them in the trashcan nearby.  Now this was just unacceptable!  Mori balled up her fist, “How...why would you do that!?”

“Because,” the kunoichi pointed a finger at Mori, “Women like that don't deserve attention.  Their jobs are for the streets only.”

“That happens to be my sister and she's one of the most popular girls in our house!” Mori stated as she stomped over to pink-haired kunoichi, “And you can't say she doesn't deserve attention because she does!”

“Now, now, what's going on here?” the silver-haired man stepped in between the two girls, “Sakura, what seems to be the problem?”

“She's been passing out fliers for a prostitution party and she's only a kid,” Sakura picked up a crumbled flier, “See?  So I threw them out.  This stuff isn't appropriate for everyone.”

“Just because this may not be 'appropriate' for you, doesn't mean this has the same meaning for this child,” the man stated by handing the crumbled flier back to the girl, then giving her a small roll of cash, “Here, take this back to your house and request for more fliers because you sold them all out.  If they ask any questions, tell them i'll explain everything when I attend this party.”

Mori's eyes widened slightly at the masked, silver-haired man.  She then nodded and quickly ran off in a different direction.  From behind her, she could hear him lecture the kunoichi again.  A small smirk formed on her lips, at least the girl got what she deserved.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The next day was the day of the party.  Amaya sat in front of her mirror with slender, willowy dress that matched her bright blue eyes.  Along the trim was a small line of sparkling silver.  There weren't any sleeves, and the neck was a v-cut a little too low.  She wasn't worried about trying to be modest, it wouldn't really work that well for her anymore.  Carefully holding her flute close to her, Amaya thought of her performance.  If she did fairly well, then her bid may get higher.  As long as she played a heartfelt tune and attract as much attention as she can.  

A knock at the door woke Amaya out of her thoughts.  Mori opened the door slightly before taking a step in, “The guests are waiting.  You're going to be great, Amaya.”

“I can only hope, right?” Amaya put on her brave face, “Look, Mori, Mama said I might get a large bid from this performance and if I can entertain really well.  My plan is to pay your half of the debt to get you out before me.”

“But then you'll have to stay here longer!” Mori protested, “Where will I go?”

“To the ninja academy,” Amaya turned back to her mirror to straighten any curl in her long, midnight black hair, “You won't have to do this.”

Mori stood in silence for a moment.  The two sisters had never been apart before.  Amaya gazed at herself for a second in the mirror before standing up.  She walked over to Mori, placing her hands on the girl's shoulders, “Go to the temple today and pray that I bring much fortune.  Let the Heavens know i'm calling for their graces and mercy today.”

“Yes, sister,” Mori responded, then hesitantly left the room.

After she heard Mori's bare feet down the hall, Amaya then left her room.  Just like Mama told her, the entire dining room was packed with men.  Some had their concubines, very few had their wives, and most of them were only there to see her.  The dining room was large enough to fit the entire ninja army, and it looked as if they were dining an army from all the men.  Servants dashed in and out of the kitchen to refill drinks and brings plates of food.  When Amaya took her step onto the stage, all went silent.

She took a hushed breath before going to her seat.  The lights dimmed as the spotlight remained on her.  Amaya glanced around, trying to see if she knew at least a person there.  None.  No one she knew outside the house was there.  Not that she had her hopes up.  Amaya placed the flute close to her lips as she drew a breath.  Her song was of longing.  Where the audience thought her song was longing for a love for her own, the true meaning was hidden.  The longing to be free, the longing to lead the simple life she had known for her first four years of life.  After a few minutes passed, her first song ended with silence.  She couldn't believe it.  No one liked her song.  Then, a wave of applause roared throughout dining room.  A blush tinted her cheeks from the relief she felt knowing they enjoyed her first song.  

Amaya played a few more songs before her performance was over.  She left the stage and was greeted with confetti being thrown and men congratulating her.  As much as she did feel flattered, it was not sincere.  Amaya was to sit in the middle of the dining room, talking and entertaining men as none of them were allowed to leave just yet.  She poured them cup after cup of brandy, joked around with them, and even flirted with a few of them to keep them happy.  This was the time a new side of her would come out and dance with the men while the other side remained hidden.  

One man caught her attention.  He was dressed as a shinobi with silver hair.  Amaya didn't leave her main guests to seek him, but she kept her watchful eye on him.  When her guests were drunk enough to be left alone, that was when Amaya sought him out.  She weaved through dancing couples and found the shinobi speaking with one of the women.  He noticed her gaze on him, “Well, it seems the star has found me.  If you excuse me..”

The woman he was speaking to was one of the workers for Blossom House.  Out of respect, the woman had to end her tries with this potential customer.  Amaya took his arm and was guided to the somewhat peaceful gardens where he released her, “I'm surprised you let me have the little alone time you have today.  It's a big day for you, isn't it?”

“Yes, if you read the flier i'm sure you know why,” Amaya gave a meek smile.

“You are only a kid,” the man crossed his arms, “Doesn't your house understand that?”

Amaya dropped the act.  She let her arms hang loose as she stood in front of him, “Of course, but this is what I was told to do.  Mama says jump, I ask how high.”

“Then you understand what will happen after today,” he raised a brow at her.

“Why else would I be doing this if I didn't know?” Amaya answered as she began to rub the side of her head, “The higher the bid, the better chance at leaving this place.  Now I have to go back in there and earn as much as I can,” she then smiled as she bowed slightly, “But, please sir, enjoy your time in the Blossom House, where time just seems to stop.”

Amaya paused before entering the party.  She glanced over her shoulder to see the man was gone.  Ninjas...  They were useful at times.  Her gaze then went back to the drunken party.  She spotted Mori serving a few drinks, then rushing back to the kitchen.  Amaya heard her name being called by one of her guests and rushed back over.  It would be a long few days before she knew her bid.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Time came to a quick halt.  Her bid covered all of Mori's debt and partially her own.  Mori was the one who woke her up, screaming how high the bid was.  When Amaya understood what that meant for both of them, she fell silent.  Her plan actually worked.  Amaya had Mori start packing her clothes as she went to Mama to find out who won the bid.  Mama was already drinking her red win to celebrate the large win when Amaya stepped into her office, “Ah, my little virgin has arrived.”

“Mori told me,” Amaya grinned happily, “She will be free and I will continue to work for my own debt.”

“Yes, yes, yes,” Mama waved a chubby hand, then stood up, swaying slightly, “Now, the matter at hand is the man who bought you.  He lives quite a ways from here, but don't worry, you'll be traveling with others to keep safe.”

“How far is it?” Amaya asked as she leaned against the doorway.

Mama laughed slightly, “At least a day or two away.  This man paid a high price for someone he hasn't even seen.  Lucky for him, you are beautiful.  He'd be a damned fool if you were ugly.”

He hadn't even given a name.  Amaya prepared herself for a few days of travel as she packed a small bag for clothes.  The first day would be for traveling only, so no use for any ceremonial clothes.  Instead, she wore white shorts and a red tank top for the summer heat.  She tied her hair back in a high ponytail and went down to the main hall.  As soon as she had reached the bottom step, her eyes met with the same eyes of the silver-haired man she had met previously.  

“What are you doing here?” Amaya asked as she glanced at the three Genin that were around her age.

“They have been hired to take you to the man's location,” Mori answered as she descended the stairs behind Amaya, “Mama hired them last night.”

“Ironically, we're getting paid quite heavily for this mission,” the silver-haired ninja took a few steps forward, “Is everything ready for you?”

Amaya turned to her little sister behind her to see Mori keep her gaze low.  It was then Amaya realized how much Mori looked like their mother.  Her soft, dark brown eyes and her oval face portrayed all the strength their mother had.  Mori would grow up to be a fine young woman one day.  Amaya hugged her sister tightly as she murmured into her ear, “Everything will be fine.  When I get back, i'll afford a nice home for you and i'll live with you one day.”

Mori held Amaya even tighter, “Please don't get hurt.”

It was common for some women to come back to the Blossom House battered from their first time.  Amaya hoped that wasn't in store for her.  Then again, if it happened, then it happened.  She gave her sister one last hug before turning back to the ninjas who would lead her to first job.  The silver-haired man smiled behind his mask, “I am Kakashi Hatake.  These are my students: Naruto Uzumaki, Sakura Haruno, and Sasuke Uchiha.”

Each gave their own personal greeting, all except Sasuke.  Amaya briefly bowed and gave her own greeting, “I am Amaya Hana, pleased to meet you.”

The mission started.  Amaya gave one more goodbye to her sister before the four left.  By foot, the destination would be three days to travel there.  The mission for the ninjas was to stay the night and take Amaya back to the Blossom House in one piece.  Amaya held a parasol over her head to keep the sun from damaging her skin as the others walked with her.

This was her first time leaving the village.  Her heart raced knowing she was actually leaving her home for the very first time.  Would it hurt?  Amaya kept that thought out of her head, it was too questionable for her to even think about.  Instead, she decided to make small talk with her companions.  She looked over at Sakura, “You are quite pretty, Sakura.  You would be one of my rivals if we lived in the Blossom House together.”

“Oh, uhm...  Thanks?” Sakura answered awkwardly.

Amaya understood that Sakura would never be in such a house with her.  The girl was a ninja, even if she were two years younger than she, Sakura would always have a planned future ahead of her.  So small talk was out of the question.  It wasn't as if she could talk openly with the three other guys around her.  

Thankfully, nightfall came early.  Amaya wasn't pleased that they decided to sleep outside instead of a bed.  She was so used to having a soft mattress to sleep on that this wasn't going to work.  Amaya sat by the fire as she ate a few pieces of cooked fish over a bowl of rice.  She noticed Sakura's eyes on her as she continued to eat slowly.  Putting her bowl down on the grass, Amaya then glanced up at Sakura, “If you have any questions, you can ask.  I won't be offended.”

“When did you first go to the whore house?  Did you go there willingly?  Have you slept with any men before?”

Ok...maybe she did take some offense to her questions.  Amaya held her breath for a moment before answering to calm her own temper down.  She then answered, “My sister and I were taken there when we were young.  We worked as a slaves for a few years before I was able to start working by attending parties to be seen and known.  This is my first job, I haven't slept with anyone yet.”

Sakura fell quiet for a few moments before speaking up again, “Was that your sister who was passing out fliers?”

“Yes,” Amaya nodded softly, “Why do you ask?”

Her silence was a good answer.  She must've ran into Mori and had a bad encounter.  Understandable.  A child who passed out such fliers weren't exactly treated like normal people.  Amaya gave Sakura a small smile before stating, “Be careful where you place your judgment.  It may turn on you one day.”

The night went by slowly as Amaya found no relief in sleep.  Soon, they had little to eat for breakfast before they were forced to continue their travels.  Not once did Amaya complain the difference of treatment from them compared to her 'home'.  In the morning, she was used to a bath while being served tea and a light breakfast.  However, there wasn't time to bathe and have much to eat that would be known as a light breakfast.  Kakashi looked back at Amaya as she fanned herself slightly in the morning humidity, “I do apologize if this is not what you're used to.”

“It's all fine,” Amaya commented, her body aching from so much walking, “This doesn't bother me one bit.”

He could see through her lie.  But it wasn't for him to call her out.  Instead, the four continued to walk throughout the day without break.  It wasn't until evening that they all did stop and rest at an abandon temple.  Once there, Amaya was surprised to see that there were small, broken cots for everyone to actually sleep in.  She chose a small room for herself where the others made themselves sleep around her room.  Those she did ask for them to sleep, Kakashi reminded her that their duty was to take her to her destination alive and in one piece.  Amaya left it at that.  She tossed and turned in the small, cold cot as she thought of Mori.  It had been two days since she had seen her little sister and wondered how she was doing.  Memories flashed through her mind with Mori.  It was hard to sleep knowing her sister was all alone in the village she was so far from.

Amaya got out of her cot and went to the door to find a place to walk.  When she opened her door, she came face to face with Naruto.  She noticed he was as surprised as her when she noticed he was facing her door as if he was ready to knock on her door.

“Uhm...can I help you?” Amaya asked quietly.

“I just..wanted to see how you were doing,” Naruto answered quickly as he placed a playful smile on his lips, “It's kinda creepy here and I was worried if you were scared.”

She peered into his eyes as she searched the truth in his soul.  Of course he was lying.  Then again, he was two years younger than her with a good height difference.  What could he possibly do to her?  Amaya smirked slightly as she placed a hand on her hip, “Really now?  I was just wondering if I could take a walk.  Maybe you'd like to join me?”

He agreed without hesitation.  Amaya led the way down the dark, damp hallways of this dying building.  It didn't take her long to find the garden as the full moon emerged from behind a large cloud.  She took a step onto the moist dirt, but didn't trek any further before standing on the last stair.  Naruto took a step out into the gardens and turned with a questionable gaze, “Are you ok?  Are you scared?”

“I don't want my feet to get dirty,” Amaya answered as she pointed to her feet, “What if the man doesn't like dirty feet?  Then I won't be paid.”

“Is that all you're worried about?  The dirt will be wiped off later, don't worry about it for now,” Naruto tugged on her wrist lightly.

“You don't understand,” Amaya snatched her wrist from his grip, “I cannot get anything even remotely unclean.  You can stay out here, i'm going back in.”

Before he could say another word, Amaya turned and left him on his own.  She didn't have to be rude, but she didn't want to risk getting the man who paid for her angry.  The night ended, and the day of arrival finally came.  Amaya had bathed and dressed herself in a tight, red dress with a thin golden sash.  She wore golden slippers to match her sash and kept her hair down.  As they traveled to the location, Amaya brought out a compact mirror and started to do her make-up as they walked.  

Sakura noticed and rolled her eyes, “I can't believe this stuff still happens in our village.  Why doesn't the Hokage outlaw this?”

“Then there wouldn't be a majority of business for Konoha,” Amaya answered as she dotted her lips with lipstick, then closed her compact with all her make-up on, “You probably didn't know that about 80% of the money Konoha makes are from what me and my housemates income.  Ninjas and other merchants bring the rest of the 20%.”

In disbelief, Sakura turned her head slightly to look over at Amaya.  Instead, she met Kakashi's gaze.  He shook his head slightly as to tell the kunoichi to not say anything else.  They all walked in silence until they came upon a large, gray mansion.  Kakashi paused.  Amaya stood behind him and glanced around, “What's wrong?”

He emitted a small grunt before putting a hand to his head, “It's nothing, I might be getting a headache.”

Sakura and Naruto seemed worried, but Sasuke didn't say anything.  Amaya was the one who stepped forward and gazed at the large home.  Even if it were for a one night thing, she was still nervous that someone so wealthy paid for a night with her.  She balled her fists up as she thought of Mori, “We can't wait any longer.”

The others followed her until they reached the door.  Kakashi knocked on the large, wooden door and waited for someone to answer.  Amaya stood patiently as she thought of all the positions she was taught, what to say during foreplay, and what to do afterwords.  Then, out of no where, she noticed her ninja guards were gone.  She turned around to see where they had went: they were fighting with other ninjas in other areas.  But...why?  What was going on?  Amaya hadn't realized how fast things were changing around her and that the time span of turning around was much faster than it appeared.  Was this all a trap?

The next thing she knew was she was being pulled through the doorway.  Amaya's eyes widened when she saw the door close to the outside world and locked in several different ways.  This all happened in the matter of seconds, time had fooled her.  She turned to see who had her wrist to see a young man.  He seemed familiar.  His glasses shined in the darkness from the windows that poured in the sun rays.  Amaya then recognized him as Kabuto, the ninja who ran from Konoha.  He had come to the Blossom House several times for one of the other girls, but she hadn't kept tabs on him.  Her eyes widened when he brought out a large kunai, “...Don't...”

“I won't be killing you,” Kabuto stated in a hushed voice, “My master has had his eyes on you for awhile now.  It's time you fulfill your debt.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It happened faster than he had realized.  Naruto had left Amaya in hopes his sensei would've kept an eye on her, but he soon realized they were all fighting someone to keep Amaya safe.  As soon as the other ninja disappeared in a cloud of smoke, Naruto turned to try and find Amaya.  She was no where to be seen.  His heart stopped at the worry that she might have been killed before even taking her to the guy that paid for her.  Naruto rushed over to the front door, banging on it for someone to answer.  Before he could break down the door, Kakashi snatched him, “This was a trap, Naruto.  Amaya is gone.  You three need to go back to the village immediately.”

“But Kakashi-sensei-” Naruto growled angrily, wanting to point out the fact that they couldn't just leave.

“I will try and get Amaya back,” Kakashi stated, “Now go!”

Naruto was reluctant to leave, but obeyed his sensei in hopes that he would bring her back.  The blonde shinobi followed his teammates all the way back to Konoha after another three days of traveling.  It was hard knowing that Amaya could be either dead or alive.  When they finally arrived back at the village, it was Sakura who informed the Hokage to where Kakashi remained.  Sasuke went to collect their money while Naruto made the cold walk to the Blossom House.  His heart sank at the notion to how Mori would react about her sister.  Each step was more hollow than the last as his chest felt tight.  He barely got to know Amaya, only knowing her occupation and her name, but he knew that she loved her sister more than anything.  When he arrived at the Blossom House, he was given a different address to where Mori was.  He held the small piece of paper with the address for a second before leaving.  How did a kid get her own house?

Following the address, Naruto was led to a large vista house that was only seen on TV.  His eyes followed the foreign design as he approached the front door.  Were they reach prostitutes?  He knocked on the door a few times as he temporarily forgot the reason for arriving.  Mori answered the door with excitement in her eyes, but soon turned to confusion, “Oh...  It's you.  Where's Amaya?  Is she getting her things at the Blossom House?”

“Uhm..  Do you mind if I come in for a minute?  I have something to tell you,” Naruto asked.

He was allowed into the living room where Mori had been playing a video game.  She sat on the couch as Naruto stood in front of her, trying to find the words to tell her what happened.  He scratched the back of his head as he turned his gaze away from her, “Amaya...she was taken.  I'm not sure where, but...there's a good chance she might not come back.”

There was a brief silence before he heard Mori's breath hitch.  He turned to look back at her to see her watery eyes.  Tears slid down her cheek as he felt his own heart break for her.  Mori tried to wipe them away, but it was no use.  Naruto sunk into an armchair behind him as he felt instant exhaustion for carrying the news for the last few days.  After a few minutes, Mori seemed to settle down for a moment as she kept her gaze low, “All that money that man paid...  Amaya bought me this house with that money.  She bought my freedom from the Blossom House.  After she came back with more money, she was going to buy her own freedom.”

This was actually Amaya's house then?  Naruto glanced around again just in awe at how much Amaya had given to her little sister.  He then noticed Mori stand up and bring out a small wallet.  Naruto put his hands up, “I don't need any money, I just came-”

“Amaya wouldn't allow you to walk away empty handed for taking her all the way there,” Mori stated as she brought out a small roll of cash.

Even for such a small roll, Naruto couldn't believe that he was going to get enough money to cover his rent for a year.  He couldn't take it.  He didn't.  Instead, Naruto stood up, “I'll make a deal with you.  All that money would cover my own apartment.  Besides, you don't want to be left alone in this large house, do you?  Let me move in and i'll help keep this place clean for you.”

He hated chores, but the small smile that broke out on her face was enough to change his mind.  Naruto glanced out the window to feel Kakashi's chakra nearby.  Maybe he brought Amaya back!  He excused himself quickly before running outside to find his sensei, alone..  Kakashi leaned against the front gate of the large garden in front of Mori's house as Naruto approached, “Very considerate of you, Naruto.  I'm surprised you grew so attached to their family so fast.”

“Did you...did you save her, Kakashi-sensei?” Naruto asked in a hushed voice.

Kakashi slowly shook his head, “The man who paid for her was Orochimaru.  Bringing her there was a trap that was set up by him among others.  I'm afraid I didn't find her in time.”

Naruto's heart sank.  Was she...  The gaze Naruto gave Kakashi was of fear.  Kakashi glanced away, “I'm afraid I don't know if she is alive or not.  Most likely...I don't think so.”

That information was similar to a punch in the gut.  Inside the large house that Orochimaru's money paid for was a little girl who was now in mourning for her sister.  Naruto didn't understand why he was so upset, but it was enough to make him nauseous.  Kakashi patted Naruto's shoulder before turning away, “Take care of Mori, you're about the closest person she has to family now.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“The experiment is complete,” Kabuto removed the goggles as he gazed down at his work, “Everything went better than expected.”

Orochimaru stepped beside Kabuto as he examined the body on the surgical table.  Her body was covered in blood as her skin was marred with scratches and bruises.  She coughed up more blood from the trauma she had received, her blank stare went from the ceiling to the two pairs of eyes staring at her.  She never felt such hate before arriving there, and it seemed unfair that all of this had happened to her.  

“Will she talk now?” Orochimaru asked with a slight smirk.

“She's all yours now,” Kabuto took a step back.

Orochimaru softly grabbed her hair, forcing her to make her look up at him, “Are you willing to succumb to my whim?  If you do, then you will live a long and powerful life.  If you refuse, I will bring your sister here and you may kill her yourself.  The choice is yours.”

Amaya's eye sight started to fade as she looked up at the slits for eyes this man had.  She hated him more than she could ever hate anyone else.  Memories of Mori flashed through her mind as she realized the only option she had.  With a slight nod, Amaya chose her fate.
Converting /tmp/phpIjmggb to /dev/stdout