Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Unbreakable Bond ❯ My Mind to Your Mind ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Unbreakable Bond
Chapter I My Mind, to Your Mind
 
Well here's a random idea that I've come up with for pure fun.
 
Summary: Takes place just prior to the 12th Angel, Shinji and Rei have their cross-synchronization experiment, when something goes wrong. Now their minds are in a sense linked, and they learn of each other's secrets and thoughts. How will Shinji take all this knowledge, and how will Rei react to a new level of understanding as a human?
 
Anyways, please review, and give me your thoughts. I will not work on this regularly, as I will only work on this whenever I'm bored, and I have no ideas of Inescapable Grasp of Eva.
 
Sunny, a lovely day it was indeed in the city of Tokyo-3. Just like any other day, it was sunny; always sunny, or rainy. Second Impact, a catastrophic event in the year 2000, its almighty effects still affects the world today. Abnormal weather patterns due to misaligned planetary axis, has left the Earth an almost pure dry hunk of rock, except their distance spared them from the intense and dangerous heat that Venus and Mercury puts up.
 
A sunny day is a day meant to be enjoyed, regardless of any weather pattern. It is a time to leave the confines of your home, to freely frolic with friends and or family, to simply let go and enjoy the warmth. It is a time in which people can simply let go and be themselves, with almost no care in the world. However, that is not true, within the city of Tokyo-3. Although here in this mighty fortress city, people can be seen in parks, enjoying this wondrous day like any other, three fourteen year olds, do not have such luxury. Already stripped of any chance of a normal pre-teen life, they pilot massive machines known to the world as the Evangelion.
 
To the world, they are the Children. The Chosen Ones, selected by the Marduk Institute to pilot these powerful machines, against a deadly enemy known as the Angels, an ultimate evil against mankind. The pilots fight these monstrosities in mortal combat, in which their lives are forfeit at any time, and any moment. Anything could happen, happened; every possible problem that existed existed. Because of their war, the pilots, Ayanami Rei, Soryu Asuka, and Ikari Shinji, the three main pilots, have been stripped of their lives, and been trained in the art of war, to pilot these machines. They have been bound by fate to pilot such machines, and thus their chance in life has been cut.
 
Today, that loss of life may yet be recovered.
 
“Rei,” said Ritsuko over the radio, “What's it like being in Shogouki for the first time?”
 
“It smells like Ikari,” was her monotonous reply. The azure beauty simply sat there, in her skin tight plug suit, as she inhaled the masculine scent that was Shinji.
 
“Shinji, what about you? What's it like in Zerogouki?” Ritsuko asked.
 
“Uh…” he pondered for a moment as he tried to find the words that could describe the feelings inside the entry plug, “Its cold in here. And I think I can smell and feel Ayanami in here.”
 
“Smell…?” Asuka's voice stated over the line, “Is her perverted or what?”
 
“Interesting,” Ritsuko commented as she looked over the data coming in from both units.
 
“What's up?” Misato inquired.
 
“Rei seems to have a higher ratio in Shogouki, and visa versa with Shinji and Zerogouki.”
 
“You mean that Shinji can't sync with Zerogouki as well as he normally does with Shogouki?”
 
“I just said that didn't I Major?” Ritsuko replied irately as her right eyebrow twitched every few seconds.
 
“Sempai, I believe we've collected all the data we can,” Lt. Ibuki stated, “I don't think they can really do much at this point.”
 
“I agree,” Ritsuko replied, “All right you guys you can come out now.”
 
As they prepared to eject the plugs, Shinji and Rei suddenly gasp in surprise, as they held their heads. The two of them suddenly feel a presiding force over them, as they feel this power slowly creep into their minds. At first, they shake it off as a side effect from synchronizing with an Eva for the first time. But as the moments passed, the feeling did not go away, as they are suddenly bombarded with images. Images neither would ever conceive possible, nor would ever forget within their life time.
 
“What? What is this?” Shinji groaned, clutching his head tightly.
 
“What is happening,” Rei moaned out, as she brought her knees to her head.
 
Shinji began to see images of Rei. Rei in her uniform, in her plug suit, at home, with him, in the hospital, dressed in hospital clothing, a tube, a dark room, a crucified being. Shinji began to see things he never believed possible. He saw Rei as a little girl, with a woman with brown hair looming over her, with her hands around Rei's frail neck. He sees a dark chamber, filled with Rei's. He sees a massive white being that donned a purple mask with seven eyes, and no legs, crucified against a red cross, with LCL flowing down into a massive lake that surrounded the creature. He could feel darkness, consuming him, as pain coursed through his body. The darkness that consumed his body, consumed his emotions as he soon forgotten how to feel anything but loneliness and confusion. He could see himself, looming over Rei, as tears streamed down his face. He could feel some sort of mixed feelings of something, as Rei smiled. He could see so many things that his mind began to overload from the stress.
 
Loneliness, pain, sadness, confusion, absolute nothing, these were the feelings Rei could see. She could see Shinji as a young boy, crying his heart out as he watched Gendo walk away. She could see Shinji looming over Rei, as he held her close in his arms, trying to bring some small comfort to her pain struck body. She could see the pain and anguish in his heart, especially during the battle against the 4th, and the feelings of pain and rejection, and uselessness when he was scolded for his actions, instead of praised. She felt the sadness he felt at the conclusion of the battle against the 5th, and how he was so happy that she was alive. She could see his memories, all the sadness, all the pain of loneliness, of uselessness, of unwanted-ness during the time he lived with his teacher. She could feel his desire to be close to someone, anyone, but feared pain, and closed his heart off. She could see so many aspects of him that not even her powerfully analytical mind could process it all fast enough.
 
“Doctor,” Lt. Hyuga called out, “We have a problem. Something's happening with Zerogouki and Shogouki!”
 
“What?” Misato yelled.
 
Inside white test chamber where both Evangelions were restrained, they suddenly came to life, as both units struggled against the restrains that held them to the wall. Both of them growled menacingly as they leaned forward, trying all their might to free themselves, desperately fighting for some sort of freedom. The walls began to crack under the pressure, as the shoulder restraints began to creak and grind from the pressure. Inside the control rooms, technicians were working frantically, trying to solve the mystery, and put an end to the danger. Their efforts were in vain, as both units continued to struggle, trying to find freedom of any sort. Nothing prepared the people in the control center; both units broke free, as their mouth guards sheared open, revealing a set of red serrated teeth, roaring with all their might as they made one last pull, freeing them of their restraints.
 
“Cut the power,” Ritsuko calmly ordered.
 
“How are they?” Misato asked, as the umbilical cables ejected from both Evas.
 
“I don't know,” Lt. Aoba replied, “I can't monitor them.”
 
“It's no good,” Lt. Ibuki cried out, “Neither unit are accepting ejection commands.”
 
“They have switched to internal back-up power,” Lt. Hyuga reported, “Shut down in 50 seconds.”
 
Both units instantly clutched their heads as they flailed about, trying to free themselves of something. From what not one knew. Inside, both pilots were struggling, in pain, both of them clutching their heads as images, thoughts, and memories flowed through them. Things about the other were being shared through their painful synchronization, as both pilots fought to absorb the information, while maintaining their sanity, and brain functions, while trying to fight against the overwhelming and excruciating pain.
 
Unit 00 let out a deafening roar as it started to slam its head into a wall, before it opted to punch the wall, with all its might. Unit 01 staggered back and forth, left and right, as it fought some sort force inside, trying to maintain control, yet seemly losing its battle. It suddenly flailed its left arm, as its fist smash into a wall, before it slammed its head against the same wall, constantly, as if trying to bring peace to its pain. Unit 00 suddenly spasms as it flails its arms out, following by a sickening crunch. It was far to close to a corner when the spasm hit, that it smashed its left arm into the wall, breaking its forearm in two. It let out a painful roar as it continued to smash its head.
 
A scream could be heard over the lines, causing panic within a certain Major as she yelled out, “SHINJI!”
 
“Zerogouki and Shogouki will be immobilized in ten seconds,” a voice spoke out as it started a countdown, “9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2…1 230;0.” Both units began to slow down as Unit 00's head began to slide down against the wall, before finally it fell to the ground where it laid in a crumpled manner. Unit 01 however slumped against the wall for at the last second it slammed its horn into the wall, thus, having all its weight supported on that horn, as all of its body weight, including its arms, sagged down, and arching its back.
 
“Get them out of there!” Misato ordered frantically.
 
A few hours later, Gendo's office
 
“Doctor, report,” came Gendo's cool demand, as he sat at his desk, his elbows propped on the desk, with his hands bridge in front of his face. Kouzo stood behind the Commander, his hands behind his back as he waited for Ritsuko's report.
 
“From what we can gather, both Eva's synced with the pilots,” she reported.
 
“Go on.”
 
“Based on what was gathered during the incident, I believe this could lead to some complications.”
 
“Complications?” he asked. Although his mask of indifference didn't show, his mind already began formulating possible complications and counters against each.
 
“It seems that the Eva's did an exchange of memories.” Gendo's mind instantly screeched to a halt. If it meant what he thought I could mean, it could result in disaster. If he knew what she knew, that was problematic enough, however if she gains anything from his knowledge, that was a problem unto itself.
 
“Clarify,” he snapped.
 
Ritsuko smirked behind her clipboard as she thought to herself, `Priceless, absolutely priceless. This is bound to put a wrench or two in his plans.' “The Eva's, somehow forced, the memories of their respective pilots, into the minds of each other. Meaning, that Pilot Ikari now knows what is in Ayanami's mind, and visa versa. To clarify, they know how each other's mind work, their pasts, their feelings, and others. Basically, they have in a sense, bonded their minds.”
 
“Bonded?” `This is not good.'
 
“Yes sir,” she replied, trying to hide the glee in her voice, “I do not know to what extent, but from what we gather, Shinji knows about the scenario, while Rei knows about what has happened to him.”
 
“How will this affect the others?”
 
“I am unsure at this point,” she replied, “However if the Eva's synced as far as I believe they have, the others will be affected during the next session, or will be affect during a transfer.”
 
`Not good,' Gendo thought, `This was not in the scenario. This was not supposed to happen.' “Very well doctor. You're dismissed.” Ritsuko nodded, and walked out.
 
“What do you make of this, Ikari?” Kouzo asked once the doors closed behind her.
 
“This it not good; if she is heavily affected as the doctor predicts, it would be pointless to terminate this one. The others will simply have the same results.”
 
“What's the worst case scenario?”
 
“Empathic, and possible telepathic bonding. If that happens, the committee will take this into their hands, and the scenario will become un-executable.”
 
“How so?”
 
“For my scenario to work, she will bond with Lillith. However, such a bond virtually destroys her soul, and she rejoins her. If that were to happen, it is likely that the Third Child will either die, or will join the angel, thus removing the medium regardless. Either way, if they are bonded as deeply, or their bond develops deep enough, Third Impact cannot occur as the scenario predicted.”
 
`Perhaps this little incident will prove to you that you are not infallible. Dear god, I swear that I will ensure that this bond develops as deep as it needs to be, for Yui's sake. That I promise.'
 
NERV Infirmary
 
“So what have you got for me Ritsuko?” Misato warily inquired as she slumped into a chair in the doctor's office.
 
“I'm not completely sure,” she began, “but I believe that what we have here is some sort of mental exchange of memories.”
 
“Run by that me again?”
 
“I believe that both pilots experienced the memories of one another. Shinji now knows what Rei has gone through growing up, as well as Rei knowing what he has gone through. I don't know the extent of the effects at the moment, but I believe there may be some sort of bondage occurring.”
 
“Bondage?” Misato asked, raising an eyebrow from curiosity.
 
Ritsuko nodded her head in affirmation, “Yes, a link of some sort. What kind, and how deep, I have yet to determine. I'm going to have to observe them for a couple nights to see what happens. That's all I can really give you. I gave the same information to the Commander and the Sub Commander.”
 
“I see,” Misato groaned as she leaned back further, allowing her head to loll aimlessly. “This sucks big time. First I have two berserk Eva's, now I might have two pilots that might develop a bond.”
 
“Who knows, this might help both of them,” Ritsuko offered as she went through her notes.
 
“And how, pray tell, will it help one or the other,” Misato lazily shot back.
 
“Well for one, Shinji could gain some of her mental discipline, while Rei could gain an understanding of emotions.”
 
That instantly drew her attention as she snapped forward and leaned over Ritsuko's desk, “You telling me that we'll have a male version of Rei?”
 
“Not of the sort,” she responding, shaking her head slightly. “I'm saying that Shinji will not be as shy and introvert as he normally is, and is harder to tease, because chances are he'll be able to control himself.”
 
“If you say so Ritsuko. Where are they anyways?”
 
“Recovery Room 402.”
 
Recovery Room 402
 
Shinji immediately bolted upright from his bed in complete shock. He looks to his right to see a window wall, showing the afternoon light, shimmering across the lake within the Geo-Front. He looks ahead, and up, to realize that once again, he had ended up inside a white hospital room. He figured that something went wrong again and inwardly groaned, as he hated seeing this particular ceiling. He began to wonder what happened when he felt a pain in his head, as the memories of what he saw flooded his mind. I knew what Rei was. He knew what was used to create her. His developed instincts told him to fear her, possibly hate her. Yet he found it hard to, as he felt a certain connect to her. He didn't know why, he just knew that he couldn't run from her.
 
A soft rustling suddenly drew his attention, as he looked to his right to see Rei sit up on her bed, with a dazed look on her face. Her eyes seemed unfocused, almost, distant, as she started into her bed. For a moment, she wasn't there at all, suddenly coming back to life, as she instantly clamped her hand over her mouth before she leaned over the right side of her bed and vomited. Shinji on impulse bounded over to her, and gently rubbed her back, as she let it out. They stayed like that for some time, until both were sure she wouldn't vomit any further. Rei leaned back against her bed, while Shinji made himself, comfortable sitting on the edge of her bed.
 
“Ikari-kun,” Rei quietly spoke, “your left arm.” Shinji looked down and gasped in surprise. He noticed that his forearm was in a cast, and sling. He didn't know why he didn't notice before, but it was most likely due to the fact he had been distracted.
 
“What, what happened exactly, Ayanami-san?” Shinji quietly asked, as he gently caressed the cast.
 
“I do not know exactly, but I believe we have exchanged thoughts and memories,” she calmly replied.
 
“So…how much to you know?” Shinji worriedly asked, as he suddenly realized what he knew, and what she could possibly know.
 
“Everything,” was her response.
 
“Even…even…” Shinji began to choke out.
 
“Yes, even your feelings for me,” she completed. “Do you, know of my origins?” Shinji numbly nodded.
 
“Your thoughts?”
 
“I…I don't know what to think,” he weakly replied as tears welled up in his eyes. “I mean, he left me, for you for god sakes. He created you, from my mom. He violated her. For god sakes he violated her genes. How could he? My own father, violating my mom's DNA! He created you my mother, his own wife! Why does it have to hurt so much? I don't know why but…I'm scared for you, Ayanami-san?”
 
“Scared for me?” Rei quietly asked. `Someone…actually cares? I have Ikari's thoughts; I should not have asked myself that. He does indeed.'
 
“Thank you, Ikari-kun. However, does this make us siblings, or at the very least, half-siblings?”
 
Shinji vigorously shook his head, “No, I don't see you like that. You are…you are your own person.”
 
“Ikari-kun,” Rei began.
 
“Shinji.”
 
“Pardon?”
 
“Please, call me Shinji, Rei-san.”
 
Rei nodded, “Very well, Shinji-kun. If you see me as Rei Ayanami, and not your sister, then I am, Rei Ayanami.” Shinji merely nodded. Silence envelops them for sometime. A nauseating silence eats away at them, as they contemplate their thoughts, trying to organize the new memories with their own, trying to sort out what one felt for the other, and how they felt when they were around one another. After some time, the silence was broken.
 
“Shinji-kun,” Rei called out, eliciting a gasp from the boy in question as he faces the quiet enigmatic girl before him, “I cannot tell from the memories, but, since when have you harboured your feelings towards me?”
 
Shinji blushed slightly at the question; however his reply failed to mirror what he displayed, “Since I found you alive during our battle against the 5th.” His reply was with conviction, of a certain confidence, that seemed rather foreign from the boy, as he was normally introvert, shy, and hardly spoke his mind, unless forced to. Now, he spoke with certain clarity, understanding what he felt, and coming to grips with it. Little did he know that with this new found sense, of confidence, this clarity in his life would help him greatly in his future.
 
“That long?” she whispered. Shinji simply nodded, as Rei started to blush a tinge of pink. She remembered that day well. It was the first time she ever smiled for anyone. She remembered feeling intense heat from when the shield gave out, before absolute darkness, as her Eva had shut down almost instantly after the Angel was destroyed. She felt the plug eject from the Eva, before it was placed gently on the ground. When she had opened her eyes, she at first thought she had seen the silhouette of Commander Ikari. As her vision focused, it had turned out to be Shinji who had opened the superheated plug, in order to get to her. He had cried, happy for she was alive. She told him she was unsure of what expression to use in that scenario, and that was when he told her she should smile, and offered his hand. She took that helping hand, and gently smiled to him. She felt good that day, as not only did she learn a new way of expressing herself in certain situations, she felt slightly warm inside, simply from the touch of his hand, even though the suit, she felt it. It was one of the few precious memories she had, with the Ikari men. She had a few others with Gendo, but the one memory, of the two of them saving her on one occasion each, bore deep into her mind, that it would remain with her, for as long as she lived.
 
The two remained in silence together. Neither speaking, neither moving, just letting the silence take them, and thinking. Words were not required, at least for them for some time. They understood one another better today, and knew that the other was thinking for now, very much so eliminating the need for words, until they were required to speak. Their thoughts wondered to thinking about the person in front of them. How it was possible to have such feelings for one another, and wondered if it was a sibling attraction, or something more, something more profound.
 
“Perhaps…love?” they whispered. They looked at each other, as cobalt blue locked with crimson red. They say that the eyes are the windows to the soul. That couldn't be truer, as they stared into the windows of one another. They saw a darkness enveloping their soul. A cold, lonely darkness, developed from time and isolation. It was a deadly darkness, one that seemed to suffocate the soul of any joy, any happiness from their lives. A lack of self-esteem could be clearly seen, as neither of them thought highly of themselves. However, despite this sickening black, bleak, unbearable darkness, there glowed a small shimmer of light. Neither was able to comprehend where this light came from.
 
Before, both had pure, dark nothingness. They had lived in the darkness all their lives, cut off from human interactions, not really sure of how to carry themselves in the public eye, nor how to act, almost like they never knew how to live, outside of their shielded world, which was true for one, perhaps the both of them. They were both shy, introvert, neither knew how to really express themselves. It was truly a bleak existence, both of them desiring a purpose to live for. Perhaps that this light they see in each other's soul just might be the answer. Maybe, just maybe, the two of them had found themselves a true purpose. A real reason to go on, a meaning in their lives.
 
So how was that for a beginning? Any good, needs some work, sucks out loud? Please, give me your comments, so I have something to work with. I don't know when I'll update this, but I'll try to update this as often as I can, despite Heaven and Hell, and Inescapable Grasp of Eva, Gather of the Children taking precedence over my other stories. I may work on others, I don't know, I'll figure it out later.
 
A preview into chapter 2:
 
Gendo is not happy, and will do what it takes to ensure no bond is formed, while Shinji and Rei continue to contemplate their newly found information, and how to deal with it. Possible attack from the 12th Angel, that is yet to be decided.