One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ Nest Egg ❯ Departure ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
ONE PIECE
NEST EGG

CHAPTER II: DEPARTURE

BY
Sgame82


      The crew was in low spirits for the rest of the trip to their next island. Robin’s announcement had shocked everyone. Even Zoro, who had been told of it upon waking up, had needed a moment for the realization to sink in. Robin was leaving them.

     She had refused to give any major details. All she had told them was that the bird and the Eternal Poses were a method she had put into place long ago in order to contact her. Which, clearly, meant it was something concerning Robin’s past.

     Everybody was distraught. Luffy and Usopp didn’t engage in any of their usual nonsense. Nami just focused herself on reading her Log Pose. Sanji never left the kitchen. Nor did Chopper look up from some of his own work. Zoro trained himself, swinging his giant barbells with more force than usual.
* * * * *

     Looking down from the crow’s nest, Robin was honestly surprised at the others’ reaction. They were saddened more than she though they would be. She knew it they’d be upset to see her go. She felt the same. She had grown to genuinely care for this bizarre pirate crew she’d wound up in. She felt honestly guilty for hurting them the way she knew she was. However, she also felt there was no choice. She had to go.

     Were she to explain all to the crew, they’d surely understand. Robin had no doubt of that. They’d most likely even insist on helping her. Something Robin couldn’t allow. She didn’t doubt their ability, or their willingness. She simply didn’t want any more people than absolutely necessary being involved. With a sigh, Robin turned towards the direction their island should in. The sooner she cut her ties, the better off everyone would be.

* * * * *

     The crew landed at a small port town called Borto. Robin had enough of her own money that she was able to purchase a small dinghy in order to sail to wherever she was headed.

     She stood now on a dock, a sack of her belongs on her shoulder, looking over her new dinghy and making sure she hadn’t wasted her money on a heap. Robin couldn’t swim, so if it sunk, she‘d sink with it. The others in the crew stood be her, all showing different degrees of sadness.

     Chopper, Nami and Sanji were crying their eyes out. They didn’t want to see Robin go. Usopp was trying to put up a brave front. But it was clear he wanted Robin to stay too. Even Zoro, who had constantly claimed from day one that he didn’t trust Robin or want her around, seemed upset. He kept avoiding Robin’s gaze when she looked in his direction. Luffy puzzled her, though. He stood tall, his face showing no expression one way or the other.

     “Robin, my darling…” Sanji said as he stepped up to her, he handed her a bag “I made this for you. It’s food enough for two weeks. I hope it’ll do.”

     “It should be more than enough. Thank you, Mr. Cook.” Robin said as she took the bag.

     “Here.” Chopper handed Robin a bag of his own, “It’s some bandages and medicines, in case you get hurt or sick while you’re gone.”

     “Thank you, Doctor.”

     The others didn’t seem to have anything to give Robin. Zoro and Usopp gave a simlpe “good-bye.” However…

     “When will you come back?” Luffy asked.

     So that’s why he hadn’t been upset, he assumed Robin would return. This surprised her a bit, she hadn’t given coming back to this crew much thought one way or the other.

     “I…” Robin started to reply, “I don‘t know.”

     “Well, then just try to come back soon.” Luffy said with a smile. Robin returned it.

     Nami, perhaps emboldened a little by Luffy’s words, approached Robin and handed her a bracelet off of her wrist.

     “What is this?” Robin asked as she took the bracelet.

     “It belongs to my sister. I’m lending to you. Consider it insurance. You’d better return it when you come back. If you don’t, we’ll come hunt you down.”

     Then Nami smiled.

     “Either way, we will see each other again.”

     Putting the bracelet on her wrist, Robin stepped aboard her boat. She took out her Eternal Pose. Perched on the side of the dinghy was the bird that had delivered it. She began to unfurl the sail when she heard Luffy call out.

     “Bye, Robin! Gone Bye-age!”

     “That’s ‘Bon Voyage’, dummy!” Robin heard Sanji yell, “Good bye, dear Robin! I’ll cook a wonderful feast when you return!”

     Robin laughed as she waved. It was a rare thing in her life, laughter. Luffy was the first person in a long time to make her laugh. He and his crew were her first real friends in just as long. She made a promise to herself that she would return to them as soon as she could. But first…

     First… she had business to attend to.

     When the island was out of sight, Robin turned towards the sea and checked her Eternal Pose. She adjusted her course accordingly. She took out some of Sanji’s food and found it was every bit as delicious as all his food. She absentmindedly stroked the white bird’s chin as she ate.

     It was at that moment, something occurred to her. She immediately checked her jacket pockets. She stifled a curse as she realized her first Eternal Pose, the one attached to the bird’s neck upon its arrival, was missing. No doubt Nami had managed to palm it when she had given Robin her sister’s bracelet.

     That meant only one thing. The others were going to follow her. She didn’t believe for a second they wouldn’t figure out the trick Robin had had built into that Eternal Pose and the one in her hand. She looked back, it wasn’t too late to go back and get the Pose back. To prevent them from coming after her. But she stayed her course. What she had to do was more important. Let them come if they wished. She would deal with the crew when she met with them.

* * * * *

     “So, when should we go?” Nami asked as she held out the Eternal Pose she stole from Robin for all to see.

     “We won’t.” Luffy replied.

     “What? Luffy, aren’t you worried about her?!” Sanji asked.

     “Of course.” Luffy answered, “But this is Robin’s business. If she wanted our help, she’d ask for it.”

     “He’s right.” Zoro replied, “We have no reason to go after her.”

     “No reason?” Nami asked, “This odd bird shows up from out of nowhere, and then Robin ups and leaves!”

     “She‘s a big girl. She can take care of her self.” Zoro told her.

     “I don’t know. Nami may have a point.” Usopp interjected.

     “No may about it.” Sanji said, “Miss Nami is absolutely right. We have no idea what our little Robin has gotten herself into. She may not even know what to expect. She may get herself in over her head.”

     “Robin doesn’t want us involved.” Luffy said, as if that was all there was to it.

     Realizing Luffy was going to be stubborn about this, Nami came up with an idea.

     “Look, Luffy, let’s compromise. We’ll follow Robin and see what’s going on. Once we know, we can decide whether or not to leave Robin to her own business.”

     Realizing Nami was going to be stubborn about this, Luffy relented.

     “Okay. We’ll go.”

     “But…” Zoro added in, “We do not get involved. We’re just making sure she’s all right then we leave her to her own business.”

     “Fine.” Nami said. She held up the Pose to examine it.

     “Well, let’s go.” Luffy said as he headed over to the Merry.

     “Not yet.” Nami said.

     “Will you make up your mind?!” Zoro yelled.

     “Look at this!” Nami yelled back. The crew looked at the Pose.

     “This is the Eternal Pose that upside-down bird had on its neck.” Nami explained, “Since its what brought the bird to Robin. It’s only reasonable to assume its somehow able to follow Robin.”

     “But Poses can only follow certain magnetism, can’t they?” Usopp asked.

     “Yes. But Robin has a lot of knowledge about the Grand Line. I don’t find it surprising at all she could make something like this. Most likely she has some object on her at all times with the magnetism the Pose follows. Might be something simple, a brooch, or a watch, or something of that type.”

     “So this Pose follows Robin?” Sanji asked, “Which means we follow it, we find her.”

     “Yes, but… look closely. What do you notice?”

     The boys all looked at the Pose. Luffy & Zoro scratched their heads, unsure of where Nami was heading. But Chopper spotted it.

     “It’s pointing the opposite way!” the reindeer exclaimed.

     Indeed, the red point on the Eternal Pose, which indicated which direction to go in, was in fact pointing in the opposite direction Robin had headed.