Original Stories Fan Fiction / Horror Fan Fiction ❯ Reverie ❯ Part 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
awoke with a start. My eyes were still closed, but I knew it was far from morning, probably around 3am. I began to let my mind wander, thinking back to that strange Saturday afternoon, and shuddering every time I thought too much. I could almost smell the lavender scent again and feel that cold, icy hand against my calf. I decided to think about something else, lest I drive myself mad with paranoia. I thought about my old home, my old friends, everything I left behind when I left - better depression then paranoia I guess.

At first, I was so deep in thought that I was oblivious to anything happening around me. But the sound of a metals clattering together snapped me back to my senses and I was suddenly too aware of what was happening. The room was cold, it was the middle of spring and it had been relatively warm the last time I stepped outside; I never heard of anyone turning on the air conditioner in the middle of spring either, and it was bright. There wasn’t any light coming from the window - it was right next to me and I clearly saw the darkness of night - but instead, there was a faint blue glow coming from the other side of the room, it reminded of that blue flash I saw before I collapsed a week ago. Finally, the lavender smell returned. It wasn’t enough to nauseate me like before, but it was there.

The panic came back. The same panic I felt inside my house next to the stairwell, the same panic I felt when I walked into my room that day, but it wasn’t just panic, it was me telling myself to get out of there; something’s after you. I desperately needed to get out of that room, I needed to get help, but I couldn’t speak, and I couldn’t move - I was completely paralyzed.

The blue light at the other side of the room starting growing brighter and a figure seemed to materialize out of it. The figure was tall and slender, and wore old-fashioned clothes, though it’s face was obscured by the darkness of the room. It was holding a small music box and small pill bottle and it walked at a slow and steady pace, almost gracefully, and advanced towards me. Music started playing from the music box, a slow, haunting melody, kind of like a dirge. With each step it took, the music got louder, and with each step it took, my heart skipped a beat, threatening to stop altogether. It finally made its way towards my bed and stopped right next to me. The way its face was angled, it seemed like it was staring at me, but it was impossible to tell because where its eyes should have been were two black, empty voids. I couldn’t help but stare into its “eyes”, shaking violently, and forgetting to breathe. It reached out then, putting its hand on my jaw. I thought its purpose was to break it, but instead it held my mouth open, opening the small bottle it held and placed something into my mouth. Before the could react, it had slithered down my throat. I felt sick, I wanted to vomit, but all I could do was continue staring at it helplessly, willing to stop the “thing” it put into my mouth to stop moving around inside me.

The lavender scent returned then, so strong, that it nauseated me once again. But this time, I knew where the smell was coming from; it was me. The “thing” he put into me was doing something to my body, but I didn’t know what. I couldn’t tell if it was trying to kill me or make me one of its own, but I knew the answer when I felt a sharp pain go through my stomach. I was able to look down and I saw that a knife was protruding from inside my stomach. The “thing” was killing me from the inside out. The pain was so severe, that I didn’t know how I was still conscious at that point. I wanted to die, I wanted the pain to stop. My insides were burning and I thought I’d cough up my intestines if I was given the chance to. It was watching me, with a look of…sympathy? No, satisfaction. It was going to kill me and it knew it.

It was talking now, talking to something on the opposite side of the room. Something else was in the room that I wasn’t aware of. Their voices were soft and low, and it seemed so…human. Panic coursed through me again as I tried to listen in to what they were talking about. I couldn’t make out a single word they said. Suddenly, the pain began to dull and my vision became cloudy. It was watching me again, with an alarmed look on its face, and I knew the other one was as well. As I was about to drift off, I heard its voice more clearly now because it was talking to me. It said “we’ll be back”, and I knew it wasn’t lying.