Original Stories Fan Fiction / Horror Fan Fiction ❯ Watcher in the Darkness Book 3: Imprisoned ❯ Chapter 15 ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Dear Karen,

It occurred to me today that you might not even be alive. It's hard to believe that you would turn your back on everyone that ever cared about you. Part of me can't believe it. I feel like I know you better than that. Therefore, you must be dead, or you're being held prisoner somewhere.

Maybe I'm wrong, and you're just as selfish as the rest of the world. I hope so, because that would mean that you're alive, and wherever you are, you might be happy.

Soon, none of it will matter, though. You're going to hear a lot of bad things about me. For the rest of forever, my legacy is going to be that of a monster.

That's alright. I am a monster, but I want you, at least, to understand what was going through my mind when I did what I did. The part of me that's still capable of caring about anything doesn't want to disappoint you.

It can't be helped, though. I know that you'll blame yourself for what's about to happen, because you're the one that unleashed me on the world. You really should've left me in that hole with a stake through my heart, but I am sorry for the pain I'm about to cause you.

The Sanctuary is unnatural. Being a human, I don't expect you to understand, but trust me when I say that this place is an abomination. No population in the world can sustain this many Disavowed vampires, because the Disavowed are not meant to survive.

Humans like to believe that the Pure turn them as part of some grand reward for service. The ugly truth is that ninety-percent of newborn vampires are turned as punishment. The only choices the Disavowed have are to watch everyone they know grow old and die, or kill themselves.

Without the Watchers to keep their population in check, the number of Disavowed has spiraled out of control. Justine's vision was cute, but she would've done a lot more good trying to end world hunger.

Nature is a mean bitch, Karen, and a certain percentage of every species is just born to die.

That's why I've decided to kill them all, and then myself. I've always written my mother off as a piece of shit for what she did to her family, but now I understand her. There is some evil in the world that can't be allowed to continue. Sometimes, the only way to get rid of cancer is to burn it to ash.

I'm doing them all a favor. The vampires in the Sanctuary miss their human lives, especially their families. It's better to help them die now than to make them suffer for centuries. Eventually, they forget their spouses and parents, hell, even their children's names.

I won't pretend that this isn't mostly selfish. I can't stand the idea of spending the next fifty years in prison. After I'veS serve my time, will my debt really be repaid? Will Ellie stop being crippled? Will Justine come back to life?

I know that you would stop me if you were still around, but you're not, are you? Take comfort in the knowledge that we all have to die, someday, and that the Disavowed won't suffer. After Michael goes to bed, I'll take them out one by one. When they're all at peace, I'll burn the Sanctuary to the ground, with me inside. There is one more thing that I have to do, but once that's finished, so is the Sanctuary.

I hope someday you'll stop hating me and find it in your heart to forgive me. I would tell you that I'm sorry, but would you believe me? I wouldn't if I were you.

Goodbye and have a good life,

Toby