Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction / Angels Fan Fiction ❯ Death to the Heretics ❯ Swords at First Sight ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Kasen sat silently on an empty box next to a dim campfire. With his elbow on his knee and his chin in his palm, thinking. The angels were keeping their heads low, that would only mean two things: they were losing or they were winning and Kasen was trying to figure it out. There were a good amount of losses and victories on both sides. His father, Lucifer, entrusted him with a large platoon to scout the area Hell was trying to control. Humans were no longer a problem, all of them had been wiped out during the battles but Lucifer didn't care, they were just as meaningless as angels anyway. Kasen rose his head, hearing a demon approaching. A sly grin was on his soldier's face. "We found them... A platoon of angels just a couple miles north," the demon informed him. Kasen grinned. One more victory to put on his belt was close at hand. "Wake everyone, tell them to pack it up, we're going to start a party," he grinned, dismissing his soldier. In his head, he planned a battle strategy as he waited for the others to get ready.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"My lady?" a steeled young male approached tipping his head down in a respectable bow as he waited for permission to proceed, the simple wave of calming wash pulled the milky white creature to eventually raise his eyes and stare into ones of pure crystal. Princess Micah, the angel of divine plan sat comfortably perched on the patch of ash covered ground, remarkable given how dead these lands were - no longer fertile and nourished more polluted with death and decay. She seemed to approach the next part of the wars with a manner of silence and trepidation, whether it was because Micah feared for the outcome of her kind or whether she already knew who would win, was beyond the realms of anyone's understanding for no emotion or recognition to just how close her platoon was to a fight seemed to glimmer across her supple featured face."Are they coming?" a featherlike tone asked out, the soldier nodding with nervousness not trusting his voice to speak for he'd already seen the damage to what Kasen's platoon had done, seen the pure carnal attacks and to put it this way, he'd rather be the ant scuttling underground than to stand and fight against such a murderous beast. "Have hope, it's all that we can live for... the greater good." the voice a lot closer than the male had first thought, faintly gasping when a velvet finger rose his chin, squarely forcing him to look directly at her. "It will be over soon" the light that seemed to shine from her skin faded to a dull glow as Micah turned and gracefully walked toward the other's preparing them for the last fight...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The platoon moved quickly, it was one of the many things they were known for. The moon was high and bright, perfect for an ambush, just enough light, no more than needed. Small whooshing sounds that could easily be mistaken for wind blew through the forest; it was Kasen and his men advancing close on the Angels. Their time had come. Kasen rose his hand, all the demons stopping suddenly but staying completely still and silent. He motioned to his lieutenant to take half the platoon and attack from the other side on his signal. Within the blink of an eye, the lieutenant and half the platoon as gone. Kasen sat and waited, watching the Angels from the distance. He kept his hand pressed firmly against the ground, feeling the footsteps of the Angels he could not see. He waited what seemed like it was forever. Timing had to be perfect. "That's it," he thought to himself, firing a warning flare from his hand into the night sky. It was beautiful and sparkled like fiery diamonds against the moonlight, but it meant death. Both sides of his platoon struck at the same time, rushing into the area the Angels occupied with weapons and fire ablaze. They were merciless from the start and would stay that way until the end.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It would have been too late to get into formation, to actually prepare for the unknown fight. Micah had just checked her soldiers, made sure they were alright even, and had walked a small distance away to get some alone time. Naturally when the flare rose - a sign of death - covered the nights sky, it was too late to hope that they had the upper hand for it was quite obvious that, that had been reserved to Kasen for his quick actions.Even with the short distance apart from her platoon, the angel had to watch the scene unfold as cries of agony and pride mixed together in a hazy concoction of blood thirsty death, not even flinching when she watched the same man from before that had confronted her spiked and then cut in two. Pushing forward she pulled out her sword, elegant but lethal in design and made herself part of the battle...The progression seemed to have slowed down as Micah became aware of just how many losses to her side were compared to that of the demons, it fueled her passion to return the sentiments of death as she pulled herself into the center of a group of demons and cut them apart. Her face washed with sprays of onyx colored blood, looking the perfect depiction of a fallen angel as she wiped her sword clean with the side of her sleeve. Staring... looking directly at Kasen.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kasen had been laughing and having a good time like a child at play with his friends. The ambush was going great from what he saw. What he didn't see was that some of the angels were fighting back a little harder than he had thought. Something from the corner caught his eye. Placing his hand on the bottom of the blade, right above the hilt, the sword caught on fire. One perk about being the son of the devil was anything related to fire he could control with ease.Turning to face the one that caught his eye, he was shocked for just a moment. "A female?" he thought to himself. As the area around the two started to clear and expand, he pointed the tip of his blade at her. "I didn't know the Angels were so desperate to start recruiting females," he mocked her "Lay down your blade and I won't have to damage your pretty face,"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

She cocked her head to the side, a smirk tugging at her pale lips as Micah stood in a stance, sword resting against her knee staring right back at Kasen with a daring glance. "Come on big boy, don't feel that my being a female will stop this being any more different than a fight with another man" a challenging hand rising, baiting Kasen to proceed with his actions. The air was thick with tension and anticipation, fighting still going on around them as the platoon's depleted leaving very little alive whilst both royals from heaven and hell stood graceful and ready for an entirely different fight. Micah had no doubt to who this boisterous, arrogant male was. Perhaps more amused that he hadn't yet clicked to her real identity. Either way, this fight was an equal match. Both had power, unlike Kasen who relied on brute strength and fire as his strength, Micah used the graceful wind that seemed to tide back the roaring flames that licked at his sword. Face of calm and collected notion, not much seemed to rile the angel even going as far as taking a large step forward initiating this sided one on one.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kasen rose a brow, slightly taken back by her words. "Such a sharp tongue you have, missy. Damn shame too," he shook his head with a little click of his tongue. She had a fiery spirit, he had to at least admit that. And she wasn't too bad looking for an Angel. This would be fun though, but his pride was almost on the line. If any of his men saw one drop of blood slipped from his body at the hands of a female angel, he might as well lock himself away in the room. Assuming there were any of his men left afterward.Kasen glanced down at his sword, the flames struggling to stay gripped to the sword. Giving it one more power up, he looked at the woman with a slight smirk and a "Heh," He darted for her, not holding back his speed or power, going at her with a downward strike. His first plan was to at least get the sword out of her grasp...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As if anticipating his first move, Micah twisted around striking his sword of balance as she stood a little more to his right, mere inches from the demon's body knowing full well that he'd use his strength and speed to the best of his ability making it harder for the Micah who had agility and speed on her side. "Wouldn't want to knock your pride" she teased, flicking the fringe of her white hair out from disrupting her view, watching everything that the male was. Was it better to know that the last remaining of her platoon were watching in awe? That they believed in her?In the back of her mind Micah wondered how such strength came from honor, trust and respect. The vague remembrance to how everyone had worked together... and from the looks of things - fallen as one. She refused to let them die in vain as eyes narrowed in near crystal slits and her face poised with determination, Micah wouldn't be letting Kasen get the better hand, not on a long shot. "Stop showing off, I'm a fighter not a fair maiden"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kasen was now close enough to her to see that he towered over her. Looking down, he shook his head. "If you want to be treated like a fighter, I won't treat you any different than I would if you were a male," he growled playfully, just toying around with her for now. He didn't even care to look around and check on his men, he just merely assumed they could handle things.His wings sprouted from his back in a sickening rip that sounded more painfully than it really was. Getting some distance from her by flapping his wings backwards, he pointed his sword at her once more. Without giving another warning, he roared loudly, a spiral of flames shooting from the tip of his blade.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Why would you treat me differently anyway?" she countered, moving to follow the sudden flying male, why was he flying? That question soon being answered as a sudden burst of flames shot down on Micah, burning the tips of her hair as she forced her own wings to spread, it was the only way to protect herself from such an attack. Her hair fell from its confines, cascading down and around her shoulders to settle completely as she landed on the ground again, pure white and silver wings elegantly spread as she returned the sudden surge of fire right back at him. Having used Kasen's original power, she'd converted it with her wind spiraling it to a hue of blue and funneled it to hit the demon. Her sword glowed and hummed, ancient script glowing making itself known, Micah's whole body seeming to come to life as she glowed ominously whilst eyes never left his own. "What difference does a gender make? It shouldn’t perturb you of all moronic Satanists from 'playing nice'" a defined eyebrow raising as the tip of a tongue flicked out to moisten the angels dried lips.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kasen put his sword in front of his, the side facing the tunnel heading toward him. He knew he wouldn't be able to dodge it, so he tried to block it. At first he was completely shocked the vortex didn't dissolve against his sword as he continued to try and block it. Growling angrily, he pushed his sword toward the ground, forcing the tunnel to be shot back at the ground. "Might be a little tougher than I originally thought," he thought to himself."I was just trying to be civil to a lady but it turns out you're just like all the other Angels; stubborn and useless," he laughed before he took a moment to look around the battlefield while he was in the air. He didn't see a trace of life anywhere. The grin was wiped from his face, seeing nothing but demon and angel corpses. His father was going to be so pissed. Not only that, he lost his best friend and lieutenant. Kasen roared loudly again. "That's it, Angel!" he hollered, bolting for her, another strike of his sword coming downward for her, no more playing, no more games, it was personal now.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

She laughed wickedly, looking at how petulant he had become. It took to see the death of his entire platoon before he decided to actually fight, that was just bizarre, "I'm flattered that you'd think me a lady. But as you say...angels are nothing but the same" blankly outspoken as she gritted her teeth at the strong attack, being a lot lighter left her susceptible to sliding and as such - with the heavy strike, she'd been moved backward.Wings vanished in a split second as eyes glistened, twisting as she locked her sword against his at the hilt and kicked his ankle gaining the leverage to slid between his legs and stand behind Kasen, slicing one side of his wing as she growled in agitation, her one arm was sprained. The force of his hit had done more than just cause her strain. It hurt like hell but Micah refused to show it. Kasen had strength a lot. It only proved to the angel that she'd have to be more careful, already weak on her left side meant that she couldn't be as agile as she had hoped, least she was right handed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kasen roared a loud, retracting his wings into his back. He couldn't retreat to the skies now. His wings were his weakest and most sensitive spot and he already felt stupid for letting them be exposed which caused them to be struck. There was a fire in his eyes like never before. He never lost a fight and wasn't about to lose one to an angel, let alone a female angel.Turning on his heel, he gripped his sword tightly with both hands to the point where his knuckles were ghostly white. There was no way he could lose now that he had lost everything else, plus he had a massive punishment to go to if he returned home without her wings. "This ends here!" he thought to himself as he come down from the side, aiming for her pretty little face...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

He was so irrational, Micah doubted he realized he'd left his flank so vulnerable especially with the type of attack he was going for. It was a life or death here, should she hit the spot right on, then he'd lose his grip and fall, should she miss - well, the angel didn't need to realize that she'd come more than a little unstuck.With valiant strength she stepped forward, watching almost as if in slow motion as Kasen's sword descended, her own slicing through the air with such speed striking the male along his chest and down the side, feeling the hiss as the metal connected to his amour slicing straight through it and into the flesh. Her sword was a lot more than a piece of valuable metal, that’s for sure. When Micah knew she'd done damage she rolled to the side, wincing as his fire clouded sword clipped her shoulder burning right through causing the angel to whimper out in pain - least it wasn't as bad as his wound.Micah contemplated to herself that Kasen relied heavily on his emotions, he hadn't thought about any of his actions simply attacking on impulse wanting to cause harm because he blamed her for the deaths of his platoon. Her silver eyes watched him carefully. Micah hoped she'd done enough damage to stop him from attacking again, for the first time in her long youthful life... the angel didn't want to fight... not him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kasen didn't even realize what had happened until he looked to the ground and saw blood... His blood. His right hand traveled to his chest, touching it slightly before pulling it away to look at his blood drenched hand. Slowly, he blinked a couple times, his mind processing his defeat... His first defeat, and to the hands of the Angel. "No..." he muttered under a stuttered breath.He dropped his sword, knowing he had been beat. Falling to his knees then almost falling forward again, his left hand caught him to hold him up while his right hand tried to hold the wound on his chest but knew it extended more than his hand could cover. He groaned painfully, not only for his wounds, but the pain of defeat and the pain of death for Demons he would never see again for they had no souls.His left arm began to shake, so he made quick work of getting to his feet again, using his sword to help him up. He wasn't going to die here in front of her. Kasen looked over his shoulder at her before using his last bit of energy to flash step as fast as he could away from her. But... Was that a tear in his eye? Maybe.Kasen had retreated so fast that he didn't even realize where he was going. Before he knew it, he found himself at a deep river with grass along it's edges. There was still some life left on the damaged earth. "That wench," he breathed as he laid on his back, still gripping his sword tight as his left arm lay extended. His eyes closed slightly and before he could open them again, he dropped into darkness.