Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Another Adventure ❯ Another Adventure ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

The sun smiled down on the faces of youth, occasionally hiding shyly behind a cloud. It made no difference to the warriors and princesses that roamed their castles, ships, and even flying machines. With a silent breeze and all of the time in the world, they had all that they needed.
There was never the same group on duty for more than fifteen minutes; eventually someone would clock in or clock out when it was deemed appropriate by their guardians. Sometimes there was an injury, accidental or otherwise, and the casualty would make a hasty retreat. All alliances were easily made and easily broken.
But somewhere far away, in a desolate wasteland of sand surrounded by four narrow planks, there was a fair maiden, sitting quietly and very alone. The wind cradled her face while it swept through the golden waterfall that splashed over her shoulders and back. A red bow limply hung on her head, unable to keep every loose strand from reaching up to brush across her chin from time to time. She did not mind. The tickling brought about a turning of her lips and creases around her large, blue eyes as they conformed to her bright laughter. A hand rose to carelessly urge the hair away again, and no harm was done.
Smooth alabaster skin gleamed radiantly, unaware of the deceptive cooing of the sun's rays from so far a distance. There was no time to ask the clouds for protection when there were worlds waiting to be explored. However, her red dress, as it was being worn for the first time ever, inhibited her adventures from going too far or becoming too dangerous, and so she sat by herself. She did not mind this, either. Her mother would be glad that she was able to take care of her things, and the desert sand was warm to the touch and no one else was bothering her.
Something suddenly moved in the corner of her eye, and curiosity swiftly nudged her head, turning it to the side. A soft gasp escaped her mouth as a small beast came into view; it would seem that adventure had decided to come to her. Eight legs carried the creature along the plank that the girl currently sat beside, hardly bigger than the tip of her delicate nose. It slowly made its way in her direction, pausing to evaluate its surroundings every few seconds.
Motionlessly she watched, captivated by this new being. She knew better than to touch it. So instead she gave it a background, starting with a name. She would call her friend Aaron. Aaron was an explorer, like her, but had no clothes to stop him from going wherever he wanted. He had run away from home because he was the smallest in his family and was constantly picked on by his brothers and sisters. And now he could do anything. Climb a mountain, swim across an ocean, face the wild dangers of the rainforest - nothing was off limits. And then, when he was tired of being alone, he would find a pretty wife, get married, have his own children, and live happily ever after.
She smiled, thrilled for her silent companion. She had been so busy thinking about his future that she did not notice another creature come their way. That was when the foot came down.
The girl was so startled that at first she did not believe her eyes. She looked around the obnoxious tennis shoe in front of her, searching desperately for Aaron. Aaron was no where to be seen. She could feel despair building inside of her, ready to be released. Slowly she brought her eyes up to glare at the triumphant face of a boy, who smiled back at her, pleased with his action.
In a quick fit of rage against this boy, the distraught maiden brought her arms forward and roughly pushed against the leg connected to that horrid shoe. The force was so great that the boy was sent tumbling to the ground behind him, shouting in surprise.
She paid this no mind. Looking down, she saw the remains of Aaron's legs twitch twice before becoming completely still. A deep intake of air was all it took to let out an enraged cry over what had been done. Her hands flew to cover her eyes, unable to handle the sight of such cruelty. Loud sobs tore from her constricted throat as hot, angry tears escaped her eyes to flow rapidly down her face and to the sand beneath her, a testament for all to her mourning.
The boy had stood, mad and ready to strike back, but could only watch in confusion at the display before him. He could not possibly understand the severity of his actions and the affects that they had on this poor maiden.
Within minutes her mother came, asking useless questions that she could only respond to with movements of her head. As she was carried away, crying shamelessly, the girl found both comfort and guilt in the reassuring arms around her. Aaron could never go back to his mother, could never let her know what had happened to him. And he would never have another adventure, or have his own family. He had not been bothering anyone, yet that boy did not care. That boy did what he wanted simply because he could.
When she was finally able to stop crying, her mother asked if she wanted to go back to the playground. She shook her head no. She did not want another adventure.