Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Butterflies & The Net ❯ Chapter 6: Something New ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I know, I know… That teaser's been up there for, like, ever. I had numerous PC glitches where the friggin' story got lost 3 times! ARGH!!!!!!!! And, to further defend my sad attempt to update weekly, I quote: I type as if I've only got 2 fingers on each hand. So, sue me, already…
Due to my still rapturous mood of the beginning of the MD school year, I decided to keep the music links up. This one screams “THE KIDS ARE GONE! WHOO HOOOOOO!”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUGzt-NwcsE&feature=Play List&p=B1AD232FC7CED1B0&index=1&playnext=2
This one speaks to the Teeny Bopper in me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUGzt-NwcsE&feature=Play List&p=B1AD232FC7CED1B0&index=1&playnext=2
To my 7 known fans (of which 2 where so nice as to leave a review), I give you chapter 6. So, here it is…
 
Chap 6: Something New 
 
Cuteness?! Daaaamn, Sol. Jesse is a flirty-flirt-flirt!” Jazmin squealed into the phone, repeating the most surprising part of the message Solya left on her voicemail, “Homeboy sure doesn't waste time, does he?”
 
“In regular conversations, folks tend to say “Hi” or Good Morning” is calls made at…” Solya paused to check the time on her clock, “8:07 am. I'm still kinda groggy—hit me back la—”
 
Oh no—tell me-tell me-tell me-tell me-tell me-tell me!!!” Jazmin jumped in, with more exuberance than Solya was prepared for.
 
With a pronounced exhale—closer to a groan than a sigh—Solya tried again, “Exhausted, Jaz…that's what I am. I didn't sleep all that long last night.”
 
“Why? Whassamatta, Schmooka?”
 
“Ugh! Jaz, puh-lease don't call me that,” Solya yawned annoyed, “And it wasn't a nightmare, before you ask. I had lyrics in my head and I had to write them down. Then tweak them. Then work out a rhythm. I had no idea how long I was up working on it till I saw the sun coming up. By then, I had enough committed to paper that I could hit the hay.”
 
“Then you left the shortest message in world history and I quote: “Talked to Jesse. Didn't faint. It was cool. He called me Cuteness. Lata, Jaz.”...WHAT THE HELL was I supposed to do with that?”
 
“Let me sleep and hit me back later,” Solya tried again, to no avail. Jazmin was in this for the long haul.
 
“TB, come on…details! Pleeeeease? Then I'll let you go—probably.”
 
Jaz…”
 
“C'mon, Sol! You owe me for my expert advice!”
 
“Which was only 3 shades darker than what Jerrod told me earlier and—”
 
“That's cold.”
 
“Yet so true.”
 
“Damn, you're hurtful when you're sleepy!”
 
“And we haven't learned a valuable lesson from this?”
 
“Nope. Guess I'm harder to convince, huh?”
 
Solya growled loudly—the effect was cancelled out by another loud, back-cricking yawn.
 
“Cover your mouth rude girl. Now c'mon, Sol! I can't wait all day—this is huge! If you do, I'll give you $50 and any oldies CD you want for your birthday. Please? Please? Please? Please? Puh-lea—”
 
“GAWD! Alright, you human coffee bean! S'gotta be unnatural to be so hyper with the amount of sleep you usually get. Shit…whaddaya wanna know?”
 
“Oh, everything!”
 
“And who do you know with a memory reminiscent of Totosai's?”
 
“Point taken and ease up on the anime, hon. It's coming out in most of your conversations. Okay, um, uh…okay! Did…he…make you all nervous and stuff?”
 
“Surprisingly, no. It was kinda like the first time I talked to Crazy—`cept much easier because I couldn't see him at the time. Next…” Solya yawned.
 
“Don't rush me!” Jazmin laughed, “Oh, I've got one! When'd he call you “Cuteness” and how'd you react?”
 
“It was the last word of our conversation and he hung up. I didn't really react, per so. It was kinda nice. I mean I didn't get all squishy and junk. He was giving me compliments all through the convo, so I guess I got used to it.”
 
Duuude! Solya's got a fan! I'm so Jello right now!”
 
“Don't be. There's nothing that deep going on yet.”
 
“Okay, did he remember a lot about you?”
 
“That we were in a couple classes together, yeah. Oh, and that I hung around with PB and Crazy a lot—and that he thought PB was my guard dog. Um, he remembers that I used to draw a lot, too. And he said he liked my smile and... The rest…I forgot.”
 
“Well, shit! That's good enough for me. So, wait… He thought Jer was guarding you? Awwwah! He was crushing on you!”
 
“Maybe…”
 
“Oh, most def, Sol! I see the signs! Man, he must've been shy as all get out, `cause I don't remember you talking about him or to him much, for that matter. Just tink! If you two weren't so punked out, back then, he'd probably be your Baby Daddy right now!”
 
“Okay, now you're getting a tad too ahead of yourself here, JJ. I was still going through some really heavy crap in 7th grade and having a boyfriend would've been vey near the bottom of my list of priorities. You remember how Papi had my days all scheduled and how most of my free time was with PB and Crazy—well, mostly PB—that year. It wouldn't have happened. I mean, I know now that I wasn't ready to open myself up to that.”
 
“That's `cause you assume it wouldn't happen. Partly the therapy you're getting now, that's got you all introspective and analytically anal and your lack of desire to be close to folks—back then and now.”
 
“Thanks, Doc…” Solya muttered in a bored tone.
 
“Sorry. Told ya it slips out, sometimes.”
 
Solya burst out laughing and Jazmin raised an eyebrow and sighed in amusement.
 
“You just had a Crazy moment, didn't you?”
 
“Sorry,” Solya giggled uncontrollably between words, “Yeah. He's got...quite a lewd imagination…and vocabulary that pal of…ours. Some things just…stand out. Pfft! Stand out! HAH!
 
Breathe, girl!” Jazmin admonished, giggling slightly at her friend.
 
“Trying.”
 
“Yeah. He's a hornball alright…likes you, too.”
 
“W-what?!” Solya choked.
 
“Oh yeah! But, don't tell him I said told ya, `kay? That could get a bit touchy.”
 
“You're out of your mind, JJ? That's just ludicrous! Next question.”
 
“Yeah, let's leave that topic for a later discussion.”
 
“For a never discussion!”
 
“For now. Anyway, the biggest question of all; are you going out with Jesse?”
 
“…Yeah.”
 
Yeah? Yes! Man, I wish I'd've put a pool out on this! I woulda cleaned up! Well, being as I, and maybe Jer, would've been the only ones to believe you'd say yes and—”
 
“Wow,” Solya monotoned, “Nice to know your confidence in me draws such a profit. For future reference, any bets with me involved, I get a cut.”
 
“And there goes that dogmatic wit! You…are touched. I love you, girl!”
 
“Ewww! Sorry, uh, force of habit. Um…ditto?”
 
“Close enough, TB. Now, last question…”
 
“Uh oh…” Solya whined in dread.
 
“Aw, have a heart—my questions aren't that bad.”
 
“Varies, person to person…”
 
“Hush, you. Now, who's calling who next?”
 
“He's calling me.”
 
“Good answer! Nothing keeps `em coming like a little indifference! Nonchalance in conversation never hurt anyone. Besides, I've got to work on your gear. Don't panic, Sol. I won't make you wear a dress and all that. I just don't want you going to the date in sweat pants and a tee shirt with a Wife Beater over it.”
 
“GAWD! Give me some credit here, JJ! It's not like were going to the friggin' Inner Harbor Amphitheatre. And I do plan on dressing…appropriately.”
 
“So, tell me what you're wearing the next time you see him.”
 
“My sweat pants and a long-sleeved tee shirt…oh, and sneakers.”
 
“You're so not funny right now, Sol—”
 
“You said the next time I see him—which is next Saturday.”
 
“Word?”
 
“Yeah. Well, he proved himself worthy of a consideration into the crew. So, he invited me to come to his house next week and play video games. And he said he'd cook for me.”
 
“Oh my gizzards—shorty can throw down and he likes video games? And he's obviously attracted to ya—Cuteness. This may be the guy. Does he like sports?”
 
“Yup. But, don't get ahead of yourse—”
 
“Do you feel comfortable with him?”
 
“Uh, yeah, I guess—I mean, as much as I can be after only having two conversations in the last month or so an—”
 
“Does he make you wanna smile or laugh?”
 
“Stop cutting me off, JJ! And where are you getting these questions from?”
 
“Just answer, TB…”
 
“Well, I only smiled a little and, well yeah, I laughed a couple times—he's funny, I mean.”
 
“Okay, compatibility, chemistry, similar likes, general trust established…hmmm. He could be a keeper.”
 
“Hey, Jaz, don't go reading into this too deep.”
 
“Okay, I'll pump my brakes…for the moment. But, for the Jazz Dinner, what do you plan to wear? Make Momma proud, Sol!”
 
“You're simple,” Solya declared with amusement rife in her tone, “Okay, it's a Fundraiser and it's a fancy hotel, so I'm thinking the teal pantsuit you brought me last year for my birthday and the black leather shoes I wore to my last interview. No makeup, though and maybe some silver or Cubic Zirconia studs. I'm not dolling up my hair—it'll be down. I don't want to wear any perfume or smelly lotions or powders. I just want to look presentable, smell clean, and be totally comfortable. End of discussion.”
 
“Um, can I make one teeny tiny suggestion?”
 
“You can—no guarantee I'll go with it, though.”
 
“Fair enough. How about a little lipgloss—the clear kind? I'll even buy it for you and mail it there. That okay?”
 
“Uh…yeah, I guess. As long as it doesn't make me look like I've just inhaled a bucket of Popeye's chicken or slathered my lips in a vat of Petroleum Jelly—or Crisco.” 
“You and your imagination,” Jazmin sighed wearily, “Well, I know I've pushed the limits of your sleepy state. I'll let you go back to bed, now.” 
“Well, shit!  I'm up now!  Groggy, but up.  So, thanks for the lovely favor but I think I'll just inhale some coffee or soda and go over Jerrod's so he can make me some breakfast.”
“Oh yeah…the complicator.  Jerrod will keep things interesting.”
“What're you getting at, Jaz?”
“Oh, nothing—thinking out loud.  Pay me no mind.  Well, I'm off to go find some post-evening entertainment leftovers.”
“Same dude?”
“Yeah.  He may even be a keeper.  I'll keep you posted!  Have a groovy day, TB!  See Ya!”
“Later, JJ,” Solya sighed and hung up.
“That girl's sleep schedule is wild.  Let's see…8:52 am.  Oh, let me see if Pops is up!”
Jumping into her slippers, Solya took a deep stretch and shook herself vigorously.
`Ahhhh, that's the stuff!' she mused on her way to the bedroom door.
Arriving and her father's door, she listened for sounds of, as she called it, “marital activities”.  Hearing light breathing and an occasional snore, she opened the door.
“Solya, you're up early.  Need something?” Denise inquired, half awake.
“No, but Good Morning to ya.  Papi seemed like he wanted to hang yesterday so I was going to try to arrange some us time before I made any plans for the day.”
“Yeah, sounds nice.  He's still sawing logs and calling hogs, though—been up half the night masterminding.  You know how Jerrod and your Dad get as you birthday nears.  As hilarious as it can be, I'd imagine—to you, at least—it's a bit trying.”
“Try irritating.  You'd think they haven't seen me in a year or something.  I mean, in its own way, it is kind of sweet how they want to make my birthday all special and stuff, but they make me feel all guilty after the fact because it feels like they want me to choose.  I mean, it's my birthday.  Can't they come together just once?  I appreciate everyone's gifts but I don't want either of them to feel slighted day after.”
“Solya, why have you never brought this to either of their attention?  As much as the both seem to want to outdo the other in their little yearly competition—kind of silly, if you ask me—I'm sure they'd come together for the greater good.  And that would be to honor your wishes.  Just ask them.”
Solya nodded.  Denise had a good point.  It was a thought that Solya kept in the back of her mind since the little competition began.  But she knew that it held a deeper meaning than what it seemed to most.  And the memories never ceased to ply her with guilt.
After waking up in a room she didn't recognize, surrounded by people she couldn't recall, she could only register pain and confusion.  Her upper left arm and face throbbed and she couldn't' seem to recall why it was so.  Strangely though, out of all the people she saw, there was only one she felt an odd connection to while still at a loss as to who he was.  She later found out it was her best friend Jerrod.  She recalled being wrapped in a tight embrace by an older man.
`I guess he knows me.  Who is he, though?  My father?  Uncle?  Friend of the family?'
She didn't return the hug but did manage a strained sort of half smile as the man pulled away with a dejected sigh.  She looked to her right at the boy now holding her hand, looking on the verge of tears, and her heart leapt.
`I…know him, don't I?' she thought idly and reached out her other hand to him as she turned his way.
She recalled a soft gasp coming from her father as Jerrod clasped both of her hands, almost uncomfortably, and stared at her with an intensity that made her fell a little lightheaded.  Then, he whispered the words “It won't happen again” and she was lost, but oddly comforted, too.  She didn't get it then but slowly returned the hug he gave her soon after and wondered, once again, who the other man was. 
They both came to see her every day.  More times than not, though, the boy came to see her earlier and stayed later—well, mostly really early on weekends.  He'd talk to her about everything she missed in school and with her friends and how he couldn't wait till she was released so the could do this thing or that or “hang out with the crew” or some other such enjoyable endeavor.  He never mentioned anything negative or troubling and always added a certain sense of peace and well-being to her day.  It was about a week later when her memory came back; stuttering at first, with little bits and pieces missing from things she recalled, but within the 2 days that followed, she recalled everyone and everything—and the reason she was there in the first place and suddenly she just closed went numb and off.  Looking back, she could truly say she never saw her father looks so lost and sad.  She knew who he was but she couldn't open herself up to him—or anyone else for that matter—and she felt trapped within herself.  It was a weird feeling that she still, to this day, can't explain.  It was like she wanted to be sheltered but was terrified to reach out for the barest of touches, expressions of concern, or the most basic emotional offerings from others. 
Suddenly PB's words came back to her…
“No! Damnit, Solya! I can't see you crushed like that again! You…you didn't see yourself the way everyone else did. You were so defeated—man, you were downright fragile—it hurtme! You didn't even know you were in that deep. You were so loaded down with crap and, heaven helpme, you were in suchdenial that no one—not even me, your mainman—could get through to you. It was the hardest seven months of my life and it really scared me `cause I didn't knowdidn't believeanything—anything—could affect you so intensely as thatdid. So, because of that, I need your word, Sol. If it gets too hard, too trying or too overwhelming, you'll pull out. Promise me? Promise me because I can't do it and I can't see you go through it again, either. Okay? So, will you? Will you give me your word?” he nearly choked out, desperately to Solya, in a tone expressed only three other times in her life.
`Wow, he was really feeling it as deeply as I was, only not quite the same…and Papi…'
That sad longing stare; the many times he's reach out to her, only to flinch and retreat; the tears that stood in his eyes the day he tried to embrace her and she freaked out to the point of restraint and tranquilization.
`Oh, Papi…'
“You seem lost in thought, Sol.  Anything you'd like to talk about?” Denise asked concerned as she laid a gentle hand to her forearm.
“Oh no, but, thank you.  I think I just kind of get things a bit better now.  I'm, um, going to make some coffee—want some?”
“Sure, I'll be down in a bit.”
“Cool.”
As Solya made her way to the kitchen and started the coffee pot, she resolved this to be an all Daddy Day.
`If I ask him, he'll tell me…about back then.  Sure he will!  Papi never keeps secrets from me.  And, maybe it's about time…'
“Solya, that coffee smells delish!  What is it?
“Oh, that Jamaican Blend Jerrod likes from Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts or some overpriced place like that.  Thought you guys would go for it.”
“Sure.  We'll give it a whirl.  Um, Sol…” Denise fiddled with the coffee mug trying to think of a way of broaching the subject, “Are you sure there's nothing on your mind…that you'd care to…share?  I'm good at listening with my mouth shut.”
“I don't think so, I mean I—”
Not wanting Solya to go off on a tangent, Denise interrupted, “It's just, Sol…I haven't seen that look in your eyes since…you were…12 and—”
“D, I get it that you want to make sure I don't crack up again—and I do appreciate it—it's just…that…”
“”It's still a touchy subject, huh”? Denise asked and at Solya's surprised gasp, she continued, “Don't worry.  Part of being a good listener is hearing the things not said.  Well, just know that I know I can never take the place of your mother, but I do care about you and I worry about you.  But, I don't want to push.”
“Thanks, D.  I know and you're cool just as you are, woman,” Solya smiled gently biffing Denise on the arm, “If I ever need to pick your brain, I'll take you up on your offer.”
“Sounds like a plan.  I'm gonna get some granola.  Want some?”
Solya wrinkled her nose and Denise laughed at the predictability of it all.
“Oh, my bad.  Not for breakfast, right?”
“You know me so well.  I'm gonna see if Jer will come over and bring me some breakfast.  Then it's me and Papi all day!”
“Now, that sounds promising—he'd love that!” Denise smiled, “The big baby's been pouting all week about not seeing much of you.”
“Blame it on PB and Dr. Busch, D.  They just can't seem to get enough of me.”
“Ya think so?”
“Eh…pretty much.” Solya shrugged, “Oh, I have a bit of interesting news for you.”
“Oh?  Okay, let me have it.”
“I have a date and I know the guy—he was one of the students I knew in Junior High and, Denise, he is fine.  I talked to him for a while last night and he was pretty cool.”
“That's an interesting term coming from you.  Fine, huh?  Wish I could meet him.”
“Well, if he behaves himself, you will.”
“Well, if it makes you happy then…” Denise paused with a look of distinct concentration, “Then, yaaaaaay!” 
“You are so silly, D!”
“So I've been told…”
“Hey, ladies!  Buenos Dias!” Solya's Dad, Lamar, greeted—yawned—as he descended the last few steps.
“Beans and disease to you to, handsome,” Denise greeted back with a quick smooch.
“Hi, Pops!” Solya greeted with a quick squeeze.
“I smell overpriced Java—give!”
“Yes sir!  Three sugars, two creams and a few stirs?” Denise ticked off to her half sleep hubby.  At his nod, she smiled and curtsied.
“And I have done the honors of tidying your bedchambers and putting a mint on your pillow, Good Sir,” Solya managed with a straight face, though her eyes danced on their own accord.
“Very good, wench!  Ye have earned your keep!  A formal upgrade form the horse stable to the lower level service quarters for ye!  You have managed to please me this good day,” Lamar responded in some Elizabetheanesque accent he copied from a medieval movie he'd seen recently. 
Denise rolled her eyes and took another sip of her coffee.
“Okay, too early in the AM for King Author and his peeps, guys.  It's too hard sorting out the thees, thines and thithers on an empty stomach.  Hey, Pops, that smoothie still in the works?”
“You got it, sweetie!”
“Papi…”
“I mean Solya,” He corrected with a good natured sigh.
“Gracias, Papi!” she beamed.
“Have you heard the news, husband?” Denise asked with a smirk aimed at Solya.  Solya froze, eyes wide, body language howling “SHHHHHH, D!”—Denise caught on as her husband shrugged.
“Pretty vague question this early in the day—my brain's on E right now.  Mmmm, great coffee, Denise.”
“Uh, that came from PB, Pops.  Some Jamaican blend.  Um, do you have any plans for the day?”
“Nothing that can't be rescheduled.  Why?  Miss me already, Sol?”
“Introducing the most modest man in Maryland, folks…” Solya orated dryly.
“Thanks for noticing, Sol,” her father smirked, popping his collar, “And I'd love to spend my day with you.  Want to play some hoops or go to the arcade or maybe hit the Flea Market for some more PC software?”
“Yes, yes and yessss, Papi!  I need to call PB for a bit.  Give me about two hours and I'm all yours.  I can't wait to beat, err, challenge you in B-ball.”
“Caught that slip, Solya.  When'd you get so conceited anyway?  If it weren't for me, you'd still be bouncing balls off the rim.  Don't get your feelings hurt, now.”
“And he wonders where I got my confidence from,” Solya muttered.
Denise laughed and pulled all the ingredients out the fridge for the smoothie.  Solya called Jerrod as father started on it. 
“Good Morning, Sunshine!” Jerrod greeted in perfect imitation Mr. Rogers.  Solya choked out a laugh and rolled her eyes.
“Don't call me that, PB.  Ugh.  Look, I'm officially hooked on you pancakes and I'd love some more.  Can you bring me some and those links, too?”
“Sure.  I have some leftovers so I can be there in 20 minutes or so, okay?  Hey, Mr. A awake yet?”
“Hoo boy…why, Jer?” Solya sighed, lifting her curly bangs in the process.
“So suspicious, Sol...”
“Three weeks before my birthday—yeah, guess you could say that.”
“I come in peace.”
“I'll see.  So hurry, PB.  My stomach's doing the Cha Cha Slide, man!”
“Looks like I better hurry then.  Be there soon.”
Thank you!”
“De Nada,” Jerrod replied and hung up.
“So, my competition's coming over, huh?  Keep him away from my room, okay Solya?” Mr. Amarante chuckled.
Papi…”
“Hey, it's tradition, baby…and it's fun, too!  Don't get so serious.”
“Yeah, yeah…   Pass the smoothie, Pops.”
“Here, bossy,” he teased as he passed the glass and pulled it away before she could claim it until Solya sighed and crossed her arms in a huff.  Denise rolled her eyes and plucked his ear talking the glass away to give to Solya.
“Thanks, D.  How you put up with Papi is beyond me,” Solya ribbed, earning a mock scowl from her father.  She gave him a quick squeeze to make him stop pouting. 
“Big baby,” Denise mumbled.
“Heard that, woman.”
Know that, man,” Denise returned with a smirk, “Solya, can I try a bit of your pancakes?  Jerrod's cooking is delicious!  His family's gonna be spoiled when he finally jumps the broom!  He's such and nice young man and so handsome!”
Solya rolled her eyes but smiled.  `Papi's gonna pout.  Ah, there it is,” she observed with no small amount of humor.
“Hey, save some of that for me, will ya?” her father pouted to her stepmother to which she gave a consoling glance.
“Oh, all of that applies to you and more, sweetums.  Besides, no one can make a smoothie or a T-bone quite like you,” Denise soothed wrapping her man in a hug meant to heal his wounded pride.  `The adolescent he is…ha ha ha!  Gotta love `im, though!'
“Papi's so predictable.  You were a spoiled child, weren't ya?”
“You been hitting your Abuela for info, haven't cha?”
“Don't need to—it's pretty obvious.”
His retort was cut off by the phone ringing and Solya being the closest answered it.
“What's up, Jer?”
“Sol!  Man, I forgot Crazy came over last night.  He ate the leftovers—all of them, a greedy fucker.”
“That pig!  Oh well, I've got a smoothie now and I can just make some toast.  S'all good, PB.”
“You sure?  I mean I can come over and make some if you want.”
“Hello, Jerrod!”  Denise yelled in the background.
“Hey, Sexy Mama!” Jerrod hollered back soon remembering Solya was in direct earshot of said holler and lowered his voice contritely, “Oooh, s-sorry bout that, Sols…”
“No Problem `Old Yeller'—needed to clean my ears out anyway.  I guess you just took the alternative route,” Solya returned, “And stop flirting with my step, PB.”
“Hey, the truth is the light and I'm in my prime.”
“Ugh!  Do you hear this, D?  Here, talk to your boyfriend,” Solya relayed, passing the phone to her stepmother with an exaggerated shudder.  “You guys have the weirdest choices for conversations and, Papi, your patience is nothing short of awe-inspiring.”
“I know, I know,” Her father gloated back, “But, as much as I adore this very real and obvious praise, I beseech you that you desist.  True, it does wonders for the ego, but I'm so exhaustingly trying to stay humble.”
Flicking her gaze back towards her husband, she snort was rather masculine and jumped into her usual flirty but harmless banter with Jerrod. 
“Is that my Baby Daddy?” Denise squealed into the phone giddily.
“The one and only, babe,” Jerrod purred back, “So, ready to ditch Mr. A and make it official?”
“Hmm…not quite sure, yet.  Let me try those pancakes Solya's been raving about and I'll let cha know,” Denise flirted back noncommittally. 
Jerrod chuckled breathlessly between words.  That and it quickly became bubbling laughter at Solya's proclamation that she'd said no such thing and his overhearing of a rather loud “Hmmph!” from her father.  “Oh man!  This is just…Mastercard priceless!  What a…way to start…the day!”   
Solya just groaned and shook her head, looked over at her father and shrugged in a “Well, hell…what can ya do?” affectation…and downed more of her smoothie.
“Move over bacon.  It's time for something meatier…” Denise hinted unabashedly.  `Ha ha ha!  Any minute now, Lamar…' Denise mentally counted down as she peered over at her beloved hubby under the shelter of her lashes, `I almost can't help it!  It's so cute to see a grown man blush!' 
“He's pouting isn't he?” Jerrod guessed correctly and got a slight cough which was their code that `Operation Pick on Lamar' was working all too well, “You're go, D.  I'm trying my best not to laugh anymore, so I'm not talking anymore.”
“Um…let's not push that envelope any further, Jerrod, honey.  I've been told I have a rather vivid imagination and I wouldn't want to defile your innocent young mind…” Denise cooed quickly adding a much more suitable ending when her husband let out an affronted huff, definition clear: Chill out you two!  “…is something I would say if I didn't have the most gorgeous, wonderful, gloriously sexy man in the Eastern Seaboard at my disposal.  Love you, Lamar!  Muah!”
“Eh, kick rocks and catch `em, woman,” he teased in mild retaliation of the lame last minute save his wife just attempted.  Still, he couldn't help the tiny smile that crawled slowly onto his face.  `D'Ah well…  Keeps things interesting…  How she managed to graduate with honors is still beyond me.'
“So, you gonna make me some pan cakes, honeybunch?”
“Sure!  Be over soon!  Let me speak to Sol?”
“Sure—no funny business, you!”
“Promise, sweets!  Muah!” Jerrod laughed.
“That's not funny, PB,” Solya giggled, “Papi's pouting something fierce in here.”
“He's a big boy.  Besides, a little healthy competition keeps you on your toes.  D'll never cease to be spoiled by your Dad this way.  Oh, seems D wants some breakfast so I'll be over soo—”
“Hold on, PB.  The other line's beeping.”
“Oh…'kay.”
“Amarante Residence.  Solya speaking,” she greeted politely in the cheesiest restaurant greeter tone she could muster.
“Wow! You'd make one great receptionist.  Or a Time/Life Books CSR.”
“Funny…not.” Solya grumbled.  `Hey, how'd he get this number?  Oh, duh!  I forwarded my calls to the house phone…yeah, I do need coffee.'
“…would buy a series of `How to Build a Birdhouse out of Pinecones' Books if you sold them to me.  By the way, that earlier comment, that was meant to be a compliment and Good Morning to you too, Cuteness!  How art thou?” Jesse flirted.
`Yeah…really gotta start paying more attention as he talks to me…crap on a cracker!  What'd I miss this time?” Solya ruminated quickly as she tried to give the appearance of being totally in the know. 
“You don't say…” she pulled out of her bag of easily scored cover-ups, “Good comeback—for the average woman.”
Oh?  And what works for you, Solya Amarante?” Jesse breathed in that tone that made her reminiscent of old Herbal Essences commercials.
“Just say `My Bad' or something.  I don't generally do the terms of endearment thing.  Oh—rude—Good Morning back, Jesse.  I'm cool…and hungry.”
“I could feed ya.  Call a cab and I'll pay for it when you get here.”
“Lovely offer, but I'll have to pass.  And you'll have to wait for me to grace you with my presence.  You can make it, Jesse.  I'm sure.  It's only six days away.”
“How're you so sure?  Maybe I'm miserable over here without ya.”
“Got a feeling you're made of tougher stuff than that, Jes.  How about a rain check on the early morning grub?  Then I can let cha know if you've got competition bragging rights.”
“Someone got your attention for the day?” 
“Well, he is a rather impressive guy—tall, dark, handsome, has most of his teeth…I think…” Solya goaded.
“Gee, sounds like a winner,” Jesse nearly sulked.
Solya disguised her laugh behind a well-timed set of coughs after noting Jesse's pouty tone.  “Well, what can I say?  I've got a thing for older men.”
“Hey, I'm older, Sol.”
“We're talking…older men, Jesse.  Two months don't really cut it.”
“So ya think I'm still a little wet behind the ears, huh?”
“Let's just say I can still smell the Similac.”
“I'll have you know I was breastfed…no matter.  Do I have any competition?”
“Wow.  Jesse…yeah, just…wow,” Solya giggled helplessly.  `This boy is really bored, I see.'
You're doing wonders for my ego, just to let cha know.  So, tell me already?”
“With him, there is no competition.  Sorry, Jes.”
“Wow!  Looks like I gotta kick things up a notch.  So, who's this mystery man I've got to prove myself better than?”
“Believe me, Jesse, there's no one greater…isn't that right, Papi?”
“You got it, sweetie,” her father beamed, blushing slightly under her estimation.
“Phew!  Don't scare me like that!  You had me nervous for a bit!” Jesse exhaled relieved, “Well, I know better than to ever try to barge in on the power of the `Daddy Bond'—how's tomorrow looking?
“Busy at the library…a little research, if you will.  I guess if you don't mind not having my undivided attention, you can tag along.”
“As intriguing as the offer is, I think I want you all to myself,” Jesse said in that tone that made Solya's stomach bubble rather nicely.
“Ahem.  W-well, we'll see…” Solya stammered, “You'll just have to miss me till Saturday, Jes.”
“Aww.  Really?  And here I was, hoping to invite you to a cookout on Wednesday.  Oh well, I guess I'll see you Saturday, then.”
“Lift up your lip, Jes—don't wanna hurt myself tripping over it next time I see ya,” Solya chaffed, holding in her laughter with extreme resolution as Jesse spluttered, soon remembering Jerrod was still holding, “Oh crap, Jes.  Got another call holding!  Later.  Call back later.”
“I'll forgive you this time.  Later, Cuteness.”
Solya ended the call with a quick goodbye and clicked back over only to be greeted with Jerrod's fake snoring—loud snoring abbreviated with snorts and sniffs—and finished with a yawn designed to let Solya know how long she'd kept him on hold.
`The boy…needs help,' Solya groaned internally.  “Cut it out, PB.  It wasn't that long.”
“I beg to dif, Sol.  It was nearly five minutes.  That's along time to be listening to background static.”
“Sorry, Jer.  Looks like everyone want to make me breakfast.”
“Was that Josie?  `Cause that chic owes me $35.”
“No, Jer.”
“Well, if it's Trevor, I got three words for ya, Solya.  Just.  Say.  No.”
“No, PB, neither of them.  It was…Jesse.  Uh, wanted to see me today.”
“Oh…r-right, the date guy?”
“Um, yeah…” Solya confirmed
“Yeah, I-I remember.  Well, you gonna go see him?” Jerrod asked haltingly.
Solya pulled the phone from her ear and stared at it for a couple seconds with a befuddle expression.  “Um…no, Jer.  That'd be pretty rude after accepting a meal from you, don't cha think?”
“Well, not rude so much…no…”
Plus,” Solya continued slightly annoyed that he's even ask her such a thing, “I'm hanging out with Papi today.  So, I'm gonna finish this smoothie and I'll see you when I see you.”
“I'm still making you breakfast then, right?” Jerrod asked in a hopeful tone.
“Um, yeah, Jer.  See you when you get here.”
“Okay, Sol.  Um…  I, uh, hate you,” Jerrod near whispered.
“Uh, ditto,” Solya replied curiously, “And, PB, ease up in your Lifetime viewing; you're getting soft on me.”
“Yeah…right…see ya soon, Solya,” Jerrod agreed shakily and hung up.
“What was up with that?” Solya wondered, “Oh well, Jer's weird, Anyway, Papi, This smoothie is the truth!”
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
 Hours later, as Solya and her dad rode home from the Flea Market, Solya glanced over at his sleeping form and quirked a small grin.
`Guess it was a long day—if that drool on the side of his chin means anything—but it was so much fun!  Papi has a great time and loved our “Us Time”.  He looked so happy!
Leaning over, glancing quickly at the rearview mirror to make sure the taxi driver wasn't looking, she gave her father a kiss on the cheek than smiled as he grinned in his sleep.  Feeling the weight of nearly nine enjoyable but exhausting hours of activity, she leaned on her father's shoulder with a sigh.  And what a jam packed day it was…
There was basketball in which the kept tying so decided to mix in others on the court and slaughtered the competition.
`That was awesome—Papi's still got it!'
Then there was the nearly nonstop competition at the arcade.  For the most part, they stuck with 2-player games that went much longer than either had expected because they seldom lost due to their vast knowledge of cheat codes and shortcuts.  Solya got a kick out of the crowds that kept forming around them, cheering and trying to get them to divulge their secrets.  Of course, neither was willing to part with their techniques, to the envy of all the onlookers.  Playing `Dance Dance Revolution' was on of the best parts of the day and Solya had to admit that her dear old dad was in much better shape than she gave him credit for…she still creamed him, though.  And then there was the trip to the Patapasco Flea Market.
`Now that was off the chain!  We cleaned up!'
Solya smiled recalling her father's bartering skills. He'd talked a salesman down from $350 to$185 for a 19 inch TV/DVD set, 15 new DVDs, a used Universal Remote, and a used Nintendo 64 with 5 games.
`Yes!!  Now, I've got Super Mario Go Cart and I get to practice a bit before I go trounce Jesse! He…must…be…humbled!  Muhahahahaaaaa!  Okay, I'll stop now.'
Then he'd made a great deal with a PC saleswoman and bought a Del Inspiron Notebook with all the backup disks, a new mouse, a wireless router, a mouse pad, two 2.0 USB Flash drives, and a wireless web card ensured she'd never have to be stuck in the house as with a home PC—all for $380.  It looked to be worth just under a grand.  He's thoroughly shocked her when he told her it was an early birthday gift that she could use as soon as he set it up.  Solya was really impressed with the saleswoman's integrity in letting her father test the PC and equipment and run a few virus scans, thankful, also that her father was so computer literate. 
`See ya, public library!  Whoot!' Solya cheered inside as she pumped her fist. 
Solya's dad shifted a little in his sleep and she took off her jacket, balled it up into a makeshift pillow, and tucked it under his neck.
“Love you…” he murmured before drifted back off to sleep.
“Um, yeah…love you, too, Papi,” Solya whispered knowing he couldn't hear her and was relieved with that knowledge.
Linking her arm through his, she snuggled into his side a little more and sighed contentedly once more.  Looking further back on her day, brought her back to the mid-morning breakfast tension she felt when PB came over.  Weird could be used to describe it, along with uncomfortable, strained and odd… 
`What was up with that, anyway?  Jer's never acted like that before.'
Jerrod came over with a bag full of ingredients and greeted the adults in the usual manner.  He greeted her father with a smile and a brief hug, then flirted playfully with Denise and gave her a peck on the cheek, and lastly he gave Solya the usual handshake and pulled her into a quick squeeze.
`But he seemed to hold on just a tad longer than usual and that look in his eyes.  Well, no doubt I read it wrong---couldn't be.'

He'd made the breakfast—enough for everyone—and blushed slightly under the appreciative sounds of mumbled praise around mouthfuls of food, licked fingers, and requests for second helpings.  Denise told him than no one could top his cooking but quickly added that he was only just barely tied with her darling hubby, when she saw his lip protrude predictably. He turned to ask Solya if she thought so, too.
`He looked edgy…nervous?'
Solya, in her usual teasingly sarcastic way, told him saying it was not totally disgusting and she didn't foresee a need to get her stomach pumped anytime soon.  He'd frowned at that and walked away looking slightly dejected.
`Yeah…that was…kind of…weird.'
While Denise washed the dishes and laughed at Jerrod's playful flirting and Solya's father went to get dressed for the day, Jess called again.  During the conversation, Jerrod had this half “Go for it, Sol!” half “What's he want now?” look on his face when he thought she wasn't looking.  It made her feel funny, a little guilty, and kind of annoyed.  Realizing that nearly 10 minutes had gone by, Solya ended the call stating with a shy giggle, stating she had company and had to go.  Jerrod was scowling and Denise giggled behind her hand.
“Wow…must be nice.  Is that “The Date”, Solya?” Denise inquired, checking out Jerrod's response in her peripheral vision and nearly laughed out loud when he blushed and frowned.
“Uh…yeah, I guess you could say that,” Solya answered as she nibbled her lower lip at the expression on Jerrod's face.
“So, are we gonna meet this former classmate soon?  He must be okay, with all the smiling I saw during your phone call.”
D…it's not like that.  We're just going over old times and joking and stuff.”
“I thought you said you didn't talk to him that much in school and didn't you really deal with him outside of class.”
“I…did say that…but—”
“So, how'd you come up with all that stuff to reminisce over?” Jerrod interjected with a face he tried to disguise off as nonchalant and basically curious but didn't quite pull off.
“Um, Jer…first of all, why are you glaring at me?”
“G-glaring?  I am not glaring at you, Sol,” Jerrod sputtered.
“Whatever, dammit,” Solya grumbled under her breath.
“What was that, Sol?” Jerrod pressed in a clipped tone.
“Not a thing.”  Waving her hand to cease any further comments or questions, Solya turned to Denise.  “Okay, first you, D.  Um, you'll meet him eventually, if he stays in my good graces.”
Jerrod huffed and Solya rose and eyebrow at him.  Denise just sighed inwardly.
And, PB, you're the one who told me to talk to him…`In the way I'm the most comfortable', I believe you said.  Am I correct?”
“Well…yeah…” Jerrod agreed begrudgingly.
“I also recall you saying we should try to reminisce and I should give him my phone number if I was comfortable.”
“Mm.”
“Well, be happy.  I took you advice and so far it's working out well.”
“That's…good.”
“Yeah?  Okay.  Then c'mon…show me those pearly off-whites!” Solya tried in an overly cheery a voice.
The smile Jerrod gave her was forced and Solya noticed it instantly—so did Denise.
`What gives?  Jerrod looks tense.  Nah…Jer's too goofy for all that…right?'
As the strained silence stretched out for a couple minutes between the teens and Denise decided to intervene.
“Well, that was a lovely breakfast, Jerrod.  Truly delicious!  We must do this again soon!”
“Yeah.  Uh, sure,” Jerrod answered distractedly as he continued to steam at unsubtle way Solya seemed to be brushing him off.
“Well, look who's trying to be a pimp!” Denise added as her husband came down the stairs in his Roca Wear Fleeces.
His smile wound down as he looked at Solya, then Denise, then Jerrod and back to Denise.  With a secretive nod to his wife that revealed his knowledge of a definite tenseness in the atmosphere, Lamar decided to jump in.
“Jerrod, my boy, I haven't eaten that well in a long time—great job!” Lamar complimented the youth and hurried to do likewise to his wife at her raised eyebrow, “That is, not since the last meal Denise created for us.”
Whipped!” Solya coughed into her fist with barely repressed humor.
“Hush you…” he warned lightly then, noticing Jerrod's preoccupation, raised his voice, “Jerrod, are you okay?”
That seemed to snap Jerrod back to the present.  He hadn't realized how long he'd been staring at Solya till she started at her father's tone and averted his eyes.
“Oh!  Um, th-thank you, sir!  I'm pleased you enjoyed y-your meal,” Jerrod blurted out, embarrassed at being caught staring.
“Well, I look good, feel good and smell good.  You ready to hang out with your old man, Solya?” Lamar asked, keeping an eye on her restless fidgeting.
“What was that, Papi?  Oh, you-look-great-by-the-way-and…what-did-you-say-Pops?”
“Solya, snap out of it,” Denise chuckled, hoping to lighten the mood, “Lamar asked if you were ready.”
“Oh, yeah, Papi.  Let's go,” Solya answered, not bothering to say goodbye to Jerrod—an action the other occupants of the room duly noted with varying looks of surprise.
And that was hours ago
 
Her father had a great time getting her to smile again; she wasn't so dense as to not know he felt the unease that morning and just wanted her to have a great day unencumbered by unnecessary crap.  Soon after the 2nd game of B-ball, she was the Solya he knew and loved again.
“Maybe you and Jerrod should have a little chat, Solya,” her father whispered in her ear, yanking her from her inner contemplation with a small gasp.
“Papi?  Wow, you scared me!  I didn't know you were up.” 
“Just woke up a few minutes ago.  But, back to what I was saying, baby.”
“Papi...”
“Yes, Honey?”
Papi…”
“What is it, sweetie?” he smirked, knowing he was irking her with the endearments but loving to her that little whine of hers, none the less. `She sounds just like she did when she was 10.'
Solya huffed and folded her arms for emphasis, “Pops!”
He couldn't hold in his laugh, she just looked so cute with her lip poked out.  “Okay, okay…Solya,”
He relented as he wiped the moisture from his eye.
“Thanks…even though it looks like you enjoyed yourself,” Solya grumbled, “You really need more hobbies if my irritation amuses you so.”
“Now, daughter of mine, light of my life, would I do that?” he asked as innocently as possible.
“Do I really need to answer that?”
“Okay, I give.  I wish I had a camera.  But, oh well.  Moving right along…”
“Yes…let's…”
“Now, back to Jerro—” he was cut off by a heavy exhalation and a pair of rolled eyes and put his arm around her shoulder before he continued, “…back to Jerrod.  I think he's just a little concerned, that's all.”
 “A little off is all,” she mumbled to herself.
Choosing to ignore her little vent, Solya's dad continued, “He has always been rather protective of you and I think, in this case, he just picked the wrong way to express his thoughts on the matter.”
`No, no, no, no, no…don't take his side, Papi…please.' Solya started fuming while she gritted her teeth.
“He's a good friend and I—Denise and I—trust him with you.  I can't say that for many people…well, Juan's a close second, male-wise.”
“Mmm hmm…” Solya replied mechanically.  `He's just gonna sing his praises and ignore my feelings like I need a babysitter or something, now…shit.  And we were having such a nice day, too.'
“Just…” he paused to rub his cheek on her temple and squeeze her a little tighter to her, “Don't let what he said get to you.”
“Mmm hmm.”
“Okay.  Try not to let it get to you much.”
“Okay...whatever you say…sir,” Solya answered defeated as she tried to wriggle out of his hold wanting to distance herself from him, suddenly.
“Sol?  Talk to me.  I know something's going on in that head of yours; will you tell me about it?”
“It's…fine.  I mean, I guess we've had bigger arguments over the years—well, no, that's not right.  We didn't actually get to the argument stage.  It was just weird.  He almost seemed both happy and irritated at the same time, ya no?  Maybe I just read into it too much.”
“Possibly.  Don't think on it too much.  We're almost home and maybe you can give him a call when you're situated.”
“Yeah…maybe…”
“Be a sport, darling.”
“`Kay,” Solya whispered to appease her father.  `I'll think about it.'
 “That's my girl,” he encouraged with a kiss to her cheek.  `Why do I feel like I'm still missing something?' He couldn't help but wonder as an afterthought.
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
No sooner had Solya entered the living room had the phone started ringing.
“I've got it!” Solya yelled to her father.
“Good.  And don't forget, Solya.  Call him.”
“Uh…yeah, Pops.  Sure,” Solya agreed nervously, shifting the receiver between her ear and shoulder, “Amarante Residence, Solya speaking.”
“Jose speaking!” Josie mimicked earning a laugh form Solya, “How is it, Miss Lady?”
“It is…interesting…”
“Huh.  Get outta here.  Okay, you know I love your vague answers because the truth underneath is so juicy, but let's skip the previews and commercial breaks and get right to the plot.  WHO KILLED JR?”
“I've said it before and I'll say it again.  You.  Are.  Touched.”
“Yeah, yeah…I'll get over it one of these years…  So?  Tell already!”
“You watch too much TV, Jos, and I don't think there's much to say.”
“Try me.  Bet you're wrong about that.”
“Okay, woke up, wiped the crunch out my eye, chatted with D, called Jerrod to make me some breakfast, talked to Jesse, had a smoo—”
Jesse Who's that, Sol?”
“Oh, he's an old classmate.  You may remember him from Junior High.”
“Not ringing a bell.  Hmmm.  Why do I feel like I've been left out of the loop?”
“Nah, you haven't.  Oops!  Um, maybe you have.  Ooh, I'm sorry, Josie.”
“Anything else?” 
“Um…yeah.  I forgot to tell you he asked me out and…I said…yes.”
“I'm…gonna…strangle you, now.  How could you not tell me that?”
 “Curb your enthusiasm.  I like my neck just the way it is…ya friggin' serial killer…always trying to rearrange folks' thyroids and glands and shit…I need a beer…oh, hell.  Now I forgot what you said.  Damn, I'm too young for this shit!  Hit me one mo' `gain, hon.”
Why, woman.  Why did you tell me about this Jesse dude?”
Ohhhhhhh, because I didn't…really…think about it, honestly.  Though, now that I thing about it, being the hopeless romantic you can be, if I did think on it too much, I probably would've kept it under wraps.”
Why?  I know you.  You're the `Testosterone Tony' of the crew.  I'm not Jazmin, Sol, so I wouldn't have dolled you up and put you out there like that.  Geez, I think I'm hurt.”
“Josie, don't be.  Please?”
“Hmph!”
“I was pretty much against it till only lat night, so it's recent.  And he's okay.  He seems to dig me as I am, so I don't think I have to go all glam on him.  And it's good that you called `cause I…sort of invited him…to the…Spades party before I asked you.  So, I'm asking you now.  Erm, any room for one more?”
“Hell, I dunno…”
“Josie…”
“I'm thinking…and trying to gather the remaining shreds of my pride...”
And?”
Yeah, yeah, yeah.  Bring Mr. Man with you!”
“Oh, goodie!  You're so cool, Josie!  If I was a lesbian, I would absolutely kiss you right now!”
“TMI, Solya.”
“Sorry, Jos.  And sorry I didn't tell you and, err, ask you sooner but you know I'm not a huge fan of girl talk.”
“Hoo boy, do I ever.  Well, that all was news to me but it only sounds interesting because I was in the dark.  Am I missing something?” Josie pried further and frowned at the phone at the frustrated sigh on the other end, “Sol?”
“Oh, yeah.  It was just…I dunno…weird?  When Jer called to say he'd come over to make me breakfast, I joked about Jesse wanting to do the same—”
“Oh…um, `kay.”
“Well, actually, he did call and offer but I said no—anyway, Jerrod got all Hallmarks on me and do you know he actually asked me if I was going?”
“Well. Blow me down…”
“Well, of course, I said no `cause he'd already offered.”
“Makes sense…”
Ya no?  I mean, Josie, how rude would that have been?”
“Pretty rude…I'd say.”
“When Jer came over to fix us breakfast, he was all into the conversation Jesse and I were having and—”
“GAWD!  The man called you again?  What have I been missing here?”
Nothing.  We just, I dunno, get along and stuff.  Long story short, Jer was weirding me out and contradicting himself and stuff.  Did you know he glared at me?”
“Hmmm, looks like Jell-O's not just for dessert anymore…” Josie mused aloud.
“Huh?  Oh no, Jos.  Jealous? Pfft!  No way!  You are definitely reading too much into that.  God, chica, new subject already!”
“Sure, Sol.  We can talk about that later.  Anything else interesting happen that I missed?”
“Nah, the rest of the day was fun.  Hung out with Papi and got some early birthday gifts!” Solya replied then sighed breathily when the other line clicked and checked the Caller ID.
“You good over there, Sol?”
“Yeah, it's the other line for Pops.  I'll holler back later.  Give the Pussycats a squeeze for me and tell Juan I said “Whazzup”, Josie.”
“Will do, Sol.  Luju!”
“Ditto, `Mushy Lady',” Solya ended.
After letting her father know the phone was for him, Solya laid down with her sketchbook pastels, and charcoals and doodled to her heart's content.
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
Later, as she lay on her bed flipping her cell phone open for about the 12th time since she contemplated making the call, she was still unresolved. 
“Maybe you and Jerrod should have a little chat, Solya,”
`You don't get it, Papi…I just…can't.  Not right now.'
“…back to Jerrod.  I think he's just a little concerned, that's all.”
Solya sighed for the umpteenth time that day.  She didn't know how to explain it, but the way Jerrod came off to her earlier threw her for somewhat of a loop and she didn't really know what to make of it.
“He hasalways been rather protective of you and I think, in this case, he just picked the wrong way to express his thoughts on the matter.”
She sighed again wondering why her father's simple act of intervention felt like slight betrayal.
“He's a good friend…”
`Yeah…he is.'
“Just… Don't let what he said get to you.”
`Easier said…'
“Okay.  Try not to let it get to you much.”
How long had she been looking at the icon on the cell absently wondering if the color would change if she stared at it long enough?
`Okay, I'm losing it…'
At the soft knock on the door, Solya jumped.
“C-come in—it's open.”
Denise came in with two covered mugs of hot chocolate and a body pillow.
“Mind some company for a bit or are you about to hit the hay?” she queried of the preoccupied looking girl in front of her.
“Knock your self out,” Solya offered a little despondently.
“What's wrong, Solya?”
“I…don't know, Denise.  I just…don't.” Solya tried not fully knowing not where to start or what to say once she did. 
Denise, knowing through Solya's tone and body language that she maybe needed an available ear more than advice, sat down on the edge or the bed and cradled the pillow into her torso. `Whole name, huh?  This sounds deep.  What's going on with ya, Sols?'
Passing the mug of hot chocolate to Solya, she smiled and ran her hand through Solya hair, noting the warmth of her scalp.
`Is she getting sick…or is she embarrassed?'
Solya sipped her hot chocolate and stared at the cell still cradled in her hand.  Denise scooted over until she sat alongside Solya and quietly observed her as she downed her drink.  Suddenly Solya took both their mugs and sat them on her nightstand without comment.  She stared into Denise's eyes for a long moment, mouth moving but no words came forth.
`I wonder what happened.' Denise again mused.
Maternal instincts dictated her next move.  Denise let her pillow slide onto the floor and reached her arms out to Solya who fell into her embrace willingly.  Softly stroking her head once again, Denise waited for whatever would come.  She wasn't all the surprised to hear Solya's breathing even out moments later.
`Oh well, I guess this has been a long day for her.  Dr. Busch will probably get a mouthful on Friday.  I guess she'll talk to me if she needs to.'
A few minutes later, Denise laid Solya back onto her bed and kissed her forehead, turning to smile at her husband when he crept into the room.
“Denise, should I be worried?” Lamar asked apprehensively as he leaned down to brush a kiss on Solya's cheek.
`Worried?  No.  Just, as always, keep your eyes and ears open and your conversation and questions light.  You know she trusts you but she's still a bit…less than forthcoming with certain things.”
“As long as she's happy…that's all I hope for,” he replied running his fingers through Solya's bangs.
“Well, I can say this.  Certain things may be coming to light soon.  Lots of things need to be said—released, if you will—and I hope it's a lot sooner than later.  We both know Dr. Busch is expecting and I doubt her maternity leave will be easy on Solya.”
“She's still having a hard time adapting to changes, isn't she?”
“Unfortunately, Lamar.”
“I wish I could help her more,” he sighed enclosing Denise in hug that she returned with equal fervor.
“You're a good man, Lamar. People don't always see the big picture in the beginning and you're not different. Just…please…don't let you doubts get the best of you, honey. I need you to be strong fro Solya…and for yourself, too. Remember what's done is done. Dang, I sound so cliché.”
“No, it's the truth and I guess I needed to hear it. It's still so easy to blame myself for everything that happened to her…and…her.”
“Baby…”
Shaking his head as if trying to dissolve the notion, Lamar pressed on, “But, you're right. It's in the past and I'll try my best to leave it…there. Thanks, hon.”
“No problem, hubby. Let's get outta here and let Solya start slobbering a puddle in her pillow.”
“Hahaha! I needed that, Denise!” Lamar chuckled as he enclosed Denise in another hug.
“Glad to be of service…that'll be $150,” Denise joked with her palm extended.
“Man, therapy sucks,” Lamar sighed dramatically.
“Yeah…well…”
“No, but seriously…thanks…for always being there. For both of us.”
“That's what a good psychiatrist does…and a halfway decent step mom and wife. Now, turn off the light, dear.”
“Okay…” Lamar agreed as he watched his wife exit the room. Staring back at Solya as she dozed peacefully, he couldn't help the surge of apprehension that rose up in his heart. Struggling to tamp down the pessimistic thoughts that arose, he brushed one last kiss to Solya's brow and turned off the lights as he, too, exited the room.
“Sleep well…sunshine.”

 
A/N: Some would say that's a weird way to end the chapter, but there's a reason I did it that way. You'll see this in about 10 chapters or so. So bookmark this and then you'll be like, “ohhhhh—got it!” That was a long chappie, huh? To be honest, it should've been completed and posted over a week and a half ago. (DAMN PC GLITCHES, VIRUSES, FILE CORRUPTIONS, AND LIBRARY TIME SCHEDULES!!! **pants heavily** hadto vent…thank you.) I was so PO I almost gave up on this story 2 times. I'm glad I didn't, though…my niecewouldn't have been happy (and I'd have felt like I let me Beta down, as well). Now, don't go all pouty when the following chapters go back to their normal length. This is another one of those defining chapters that sort ofset the stage for future events.
Okay, shutting up now.
**drinks Cherry/Lemonade Kool-Aid and nibbles on Cherry Twizzlers Pull and Peels**