Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ New Friend ( Chapter 43 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"So why don't you ever talk to people?" Hisako asked. Kameko shook her head.
"I see," Hisako replied. She picked up her chopsticks and began to eat. Kameko looked down at her plate.
"It's hard for me," she muttered. The other girl glanced over at her.
"Excuse me?" she asked. Kameko turned her head to face her.
"Everyone thinks I am unholy because of my condition," she said. "Are you familiar with the house of souls?"
"No," Hisako answered. Kameko clenched her fists under the table.
"Every fifty years," she began. "A child is picked to house the trapped spirits of our village."
"Why do they do that?" the animal girl asked.
"The forests and nature in our village eats our dead," Kameko explained. "However, every single plant can't eat them fast enough. If the dead aren't housed properly, they cause trouble for the living. So years ago, the leaders decided to seal the spirits that escape into a house that goes inside a living vessel." She felt herself breaking down into a tremble. "It's a cruel process," she muttered. The house chooses its vessel and stays with it until they themselves die." The color drained from Hisako's face.
"That's horrible," she gasped.
"The vessel will never be alone again," the older girl. "Voices haunt them through nights. People avoid you like you're curse because you are in a way. The vessel is doomed to have a miserable existence." She felt her eyes start to well up with tears.
"So you want to end this curse?" Hisako asked.
"Yes!" Kameko wailed. The animal girl patted her on the back.
"I'll be happy to help you," she said in a low voice. "Conni and I will." Kameko looked up at her with big eyes.
"But why?" she asked. "Aren't you afraid of me?" The other girl shook her head.
"Even if I was," she replied. "I can't abandon a friend in need." The chopsticks fell out of the other girl's hand.
"I... I don't know what to say," she murmured. Hisako rubbed on her back with a smile on her face.
"Then don't say anything," she said. "We're just happy to help." The animal girl glanced down at her dog. "Right, Conni?" she asked. The dog barked and wagged his tail in response.
"Hisako, Kameko," they heard someone call out to them. The girls looked up to see Kasumi standing across from them.
"We're going to stock up before we leave," she said. "Want to come with us?"
"Sure!" Hisako cheered. She looked over at her new friend. "Want to join us?" she asked. The other girl shook her head.
"Nah," she said. "I'm good."
"Okay," Hisako said. She leaned down to her dog. "Keep watch over my new friend, okay?" she asked. Conni barked in reply.
"Good boy," his master said. "I knew I could count on you." The dog wagged his tail and she patted him on the head. Once Conni was satisfied, Hisako stood up and pushed in her chair.
"We'll be back in an hour, okay?" Kasumi asked. Kameko quickly nodded.
"See ya," Hisako said in a chipper voice. Her new friend gave her a small wave before the girls turned and walked away.
Chapter Forty-Four: New Friend: