Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ Road of the Dead ( Chapter 82 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

That's when they saw the bodies. The first one was over a woman about forty years old. She was face down with an empty pack on her back. Her straw hat covered the back of her head. Her light blue cotton dress stood out in the darkness. Haruko covered her mouth when she looked down.

"Don't look," Kasumi said. She kept her eyes forward. They all walked by the woman's body.

"Too late," Hisako said. Coni whimpered as he walked. Ryuji resisted the urge to turn his head and look back. He wouldn't have to wait. There was another one up ahead. This time, it was a man. He too lay on the ground face down. He was missing two fingers on his right hand. The shirt and pants didn't stand out. He had no shoes.

They passed three more bodies. Two of them were children. One was a baby on the back of a little girl. More bodies followed.

"What the hell is this?" Kameko asked. Kasumi kept her eyes forward.

"This is the Road of the Dead," she said. "We're getting close."

"How can you be so sure?" Haruko asked. The smell of death filled the darkness. Everyone covered their noses. Ryuji breathed in deep through his shirt.

"I can feel it," Kasumi said. They passed the bodies of a family of four. Everyone kept looking forward.

"Don't look down. Don't look down. Don't look down," Haruko said to herself. She gulped through the stench. Her stomach turned as her eyes watered. Some of the bodies were starting to rot. How long were they going to walk through this? Ryuji reached for Kasumi's hand. She took his without looking down. The smell grew heavier with each step.

---------

"Ew! What is that smell?" Sayako asked. Everyone else covered their noses.

"It smells like death," Emmit said. Akimi didn't say anything. Anna slowly looked down. She jumped back.

"What the hell?!" she shouted. Everyone looked down. The body of an old woman in her sixties lay face down on the ground. Her body already started to rot.

"Oh god!" Shasha said as she took a step back. Akimi walked on without saying a word.

"Akimi!" Anna yelled. She ran after her sister. Shasha, Emmit, and Sanya ran after them. Sayako threw her hands up in the air.

"Damn it!" she said. The former heiress ran after everyone. More and more bodies started to appear on either side of them. Akimi walked through with no emotion on her face. The others tried not to look at the bodies on either side of the road. They even had to step over the bones in the road.

"How many bodies are there?" Sayako whimpered. Nobody had an answer. There wasn't anybody who wanted to know either. They just wanted to get out of this place. Sayako shivered as she kept walking. The group walked past the bloated body of a man lying face down just like the test.

----------

The smell didn't bother Karasu. He didn't even look at the bodies on the ground. He had his sword by his side. He just had to clear this part before he could fulfill his mission. They weren't too ahead of him. It wouldn't be too long before he caught up to everyone. He held up his fingers and kept chanting. He paid attention to the bones and bodies on the ground.

Chapter Eighty-Three: Road of the Dead: