Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Mechanical Affection ❯ Chapter 12 ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Mechanical Affection- Chapter 12

If nothing else, the rain was good for washing off all this black gunk. Though, if I’d had the option of an endless drought or being clean… I’d have picked the drought. Because this… This was miserable. Mouth hanging open, I breathed out an unhappy hiss as an icy cascade of rain suddenly plopped down on my head. The uncontrollable convulsion in my right leg nearly sent me over, but I somehow managed to remain topside. So I looked up at the ceiling. I was in something for sure, but it wasn’t doing a good job at protecting me from the cold wet.
Not seeing the problem, I looked down at myself for no apparent reason other than I had nothing else to look at. The oozing black hole in my abdomen spewed some thick black gelatin and the stuff dribbled down my pants and then onto the gritty concrete. Had the water not been there to slick up my attire, I’m sure it would have clung to me with more affinity that I would’ve liked.
There was a rumble somewhere in the distant… Not thunder and I lifted my head with interest. What was going on out there? I started to move forward but a wave of water came crashing down over my head and I was on the ground before I knew it. Damn it! Seriously? Where the fuck was that coming from?! I flailed aimlessly until I flopped out into the wet street and could get my feet back under me. This task seemed liked it consumed more time than it should have been able to… Ugh, I felt sluggish.
I looked up at the grey sky, my jaw slack. Only when the water began to drain from the corners of my lips did I realize my mouth had filled with water. I’d be one drown mother fucker if I actually needed to breathe. On the bright side, it seemed I was one for bright sides lately, it helped wash away the some of the foulness currently lingering on my cottony tongue and rotten gums. Closing my mouth, the water gushed out of my mouth and I shook the liquid from my face. Feeling very wet and wretched, I looked around. I couldn’t see a damn thing. It was too dark… To wet… To distorted.
Turning in circle like an idiot, I tried to figure out where I’d come from. It seemed like it would be a good idea to get out of the rain. Then, decidedly, it was not such a good idea and I was glad I’d been too stupid to figure out which way I was going. Because, just as I started toward where I thought I wanted to be, a crisp sharp sound let out followed by a small explosion. Fire licked the frames of the windows and doors, looking like an angry Jack-O-Lantern that wished to devour my leathery hide.
Well, I guess I was staying somewhere else…
The cold rain chilled me through and through. And while I’d spent an immeasurable amount of time walking, I didn’t seem to be getting anywhere. That or the entire neighborhood was on fire for some reason unbeknownst to me… Which was entirely possible, tough my damaged brains had a hard time distinguishing one fire from the next. I thought of wandering towards the warmth of the fire, but thought better of it when the sounds of confusion and anguish erupted from the throats of zombies less wise than I. Poor stupid bastards…
A blink later and the storm was gone; the sun was shining. The warmth felt nice on my still wet body and I looked up at it. Nice of the godforsaken thing to turn up, even if it was late. Snarling a bit at it, I tried to convey my displeasure at its belated appearance, but I didn’t stay mad (actually annoyed was a better word for it) for long… The sun was my friend… Also, it didn’t give a shit what I thought or did.
Huh? Oh, that wasn’t the only thing warming the place up around here. Staggering along, stiff legged and still feeling half frozen, I spotted some breathers on down the road next to a car, which wasn’t on and I couldn’t feel its heat. They looked to be doing breather things, scavenging mostly. You’d think they were vultures the way they lurk around with their shiny eyes… Speaking of eyes. One set seemed unnervingly familiar... A pair of blue eyes, so blue I could see them from afar, even with my terrible sight. His tidy clothes and clean appearance gave me the creeps.
What were they doing?
Blue Eyes handed some of the others something that I couldn’t quite discern. Then he wandered off at the sound of a voice off in the distance. The voice captured my attention completely and I strained to hear more… But the calls stopped and silence filled the streets. I stood on a moment more before I realized the ones left behind were up to something more. I didn’t get the feeling I knew any of them, the feeling I had when I saw creepy Blue Eyes. Not that I knew where I might know him from, which certainly wasn’t new so I didn’t dwell on it.
One of the more burly looking fellows, which I assumed to be male, lifted up something and drew it across the frame of the window. It left a streak of color there and they moved on. They didn’t seem to be done in the area though, as they moved to the next building over and disappeared inside.
Curiously, I stepped forward… I could use a bite to eat. I didn’t quite remember when I’d last eaten, which was a good indicator that a nice fleshy meal would be the ticket. The sound of a struggle inside the house gave me pause, mostly because a couple of shots rang out and I figured eating lead wasn’t exactly what I meant when I thought about getting a bite to eat. Of course, just because it gave me pause didn’t mean I hid. Nope, just stood there a few feet outside an alleyway gawking at the sounds coming from the building.
When the breathers came out, one was dragging something out behind him. A breather I hadn’t realized was in the car stepped out and yelled. Like a broken video reel, his movements were broken up by my brain, which had a hard time following his quick movements. He paused in front of the ones that had come out just long enough for my brain to catch up before another skip in movements left me wondering what the hell had happened. One of the breathers rubbed its hand on its cheek sorely as it muttered something.
The one from the car went to the lump on the ground and, when it moved and began to groan, I realized it was a zombie. What were they up too? The driver kicked the undead form to make it writhe a bit more before his head jerked towards the car and he returned to the vehicle just as quickly as he’d come from it. The engine rumbled quietly, and he pulled on forward. Popping the trunk, the other breathers picked up Mr. Gunned Down and tossed him in before closing up the trunk.
They painted on the window and moved to the next building… Somehow… I don’t think I was hungry enough to tangle with some bat shit insane breathers today. Maybe I’d get back to them in a few weeks. Or maybe never… Yeah, never sounded good.
An uneventful stretch of road later, I was none the wiser to what I’d been moving away from. The streets were pretty lonely for the middle of a warm sunny day. Not a breather in sight and I think I stumbled across a couple helpless wanderers. It seemed like a hoard should have been ruining my day just about now, but I wasn’t complaining. Fuckin’ assholes, probably off to where all the food was and eating it all themselves.
Huh? I stopped where I was when something made a sound to my… Er, let’s just say left though it could have been my right. Words… They’re hard.
My back swayed so my oozing gut was just about as far forward as possible and my shoulders were tossed back. Letting my head loll backwards, I let it fall to the side and stared dumbly. Someone was standing next to me… I hadn’t noticed, uh, him maybe? Their back was towards me so I wasn’t entirely sure.
He, er, she, uh… It made a gargling noise and I leaned back a little too far to see what was going on and ended up on my ass. Smooth. Instead of trying to get up, I just lay there a moment, feeling like my skull was emptying. Maybe it was, considering the wet pool forming around my face.
Blank gaze still hovering on the figure, it took a moment for that someone to figure out what he hell had happened over here. With a jolty movement of his leg, it was a him so I saw, and he turned to look down at me. Wow… Someone was suffering from a severe case of chronic zombie face. Shoulder dropping, his head fell to the side maybe quizzically or maybe just because half his face was gone and that side weighed more now by default.
He stared at me, jaw working as if he might be speaking. I was rather transfixed by the way his exposed teeth ground together during the action. Would you look at that… It was pretty damn trippy. Black trickled out from between his teeth, down his exposed jaw and onto his wonderfully stained shirt. There was some sort of image on it I couldn’t discern.
After making some incoherent noises that not even I knew the meaning to, he turned away so his back was facing me. Now on the ground, I could see past him. I think he was confused because he was standing in front of a door. He made some more sounds at it then moved forward and began to claw at it. Good luck with that, buddy. Sure the damned things open but fuck if I could do it anymore. I’m not sure if it was that I didn’t remember how or if it was just a physical impossibility.
Throwing my weight, I managed to roll over. I crawled a moment before I ran into the building and used that as support so I could climb to my feet. Once up, I stopped and stared at the zombie. He didn’t seem to notice me and I continued on my way. Or whatever way was my way now. Who knows if it was the direction I had been going before I fell over. I looked back before I forgot he was there, but the curious door clawing zombie was gone. Oh well…
I got the feeling I was being watched… Now I’m not very perceptive but I was beginning to feel very sure that someone was following me. Of course, this didn’t make any sense. If a breather was on the prowl for another zombie head over some vendetta or another, then I’d have felt it. No such luck there… Only the occasional inexplicable noise or movement that I was never quite fast enough to catch. Apparently being the smartest zombie in the world came at a price because I’m pretty sure paranoia wasn’t running rampant among the undead masses, wherever they had gone to.
There was a loud clanging noise and I whirled around, as fast as I could without falling on my ass again. A lead pipe rolled out into the street and I watched it curiously. Son of a bitch… I grumbled to myself as I went over to investigate. I was confused. Did pipes move on their own? Was it really a pipe? Standing next to it, I stared. It didn’t move. I groaned. It didn’t move. Then I shuffled forward to nudge it. It moved… But only because I’d started it. Even so, I was immensely entertained. There wasn’t much for me to do, so when I found something I could do, it was pretty much the coolest damn thing that existed at that moment in time.
I probably looked retarded rolling the fucking pipe down the road with glee, but what did I care? I forgot entirely why I’d gone to investigate it to begin with. This was fucking awesome.
The pipe pattered along, skipping in my vision when I hit it a little too hard. Then it hit something black with a thump and I stopped. My head fell to the side and I felt something drip down my shoulder as I stared in confusion. It took a long time for me to realize that the black crispy thing on the ground had been a body… Well, once. I looked up, there was a burnt out structure that had been a building, once.
My gaze naturally spread out across the road. A row a blackened buildings and, scattered here or there, more burnt bodies. One of the bodies twitched and groaned. The fires had long gone out, but this one had apparently not been rendered to a husk by the flame. Sorry bastard.
I wouldn’t find any food here. I moved on.
As I passed through a maze of vehicle, none of which housed a tasty treat, I became aware of a sound. I meandered its general direction, sometimes going off the path entirely when the echo confused me into walking down a dead end. What in the world would make a racket out here? Then I saw it.
It was far off, but I knew in my rotted gut that the noise was coming from it. I stumbled a bit faster, hoping to catch it before it got away. Only when I was pretty much on top of it did I realize, it wasn’t going anywhere.
The tall grey human stood stock still, bird’s wings spread, and a hand extending out as if to help me up into its arms. I stared at its face and it didn’t blink. Groaning loudly, I tried to get its attention. I was clear the hell down here and it was all the way up there. I’d need a better hand than that to get up. Oh… The hand.
I was immediately immobilized with intense interest at that arm and hand. I reached up with both hands and clawed at the cement block. Was it too high? Maybe I could reach it.
Gargling out a sharp cry, I tried to get its attention. I’m down here damn it! It’s possible I was getting more stupid by the minute. But that arm… My hands fell to my side and I leaned back, gawking at it. The thing spoke to me but I couldn’t understand it, but it replenished my burning desire to get up there and be close to that arm.
I threw a fit. Biting at the cement wall, I snarled and griped, clawing at it as though I could dig straight through. It didn’t occur to me that I could maybe walk around, say up the stairs and get to it that way.
In my distress, I didn’t realize that something was beside me until I hit it with my arm. It, rather he, let out a grunt and stared at me dumbfounded by my behavior. I jerked back when I saw his face. Woah! Warn a guy before you sneak up on them with that kind a face…. Wait… My head cocked and I stared dumbly at his teeth as he worked his jaw. He made more incoherent noises. Didn’t I know him from some place?
He stared up at the grey figure and I looked up at it too. Did he see it too? That thing on its arm? That familiar shape of black?
I didn’t look back at him again, just stared fixedly at the stone cold thing standing above me, taunting me. I groaned at it longingly and it would say something back to make me feel better. That was nice. I liked it when it talked back so I talked at it some more, groaning and grunting.
It could have been hours… Could have been days…. I just stood there wanting it but never reaching it. Half-face, my companion, seemed more interested in watching me than the thing I was after. Which suited me just fine, because I didn’t care what he wanted one way or another…. Well, until the asshole shoved me out of the blue and nearly knocked me off my feet.
What the fuck’s your problem, prick? I snarled at him and he ran into me again. I stumbled back and he became more insistent. Seriously, knock it off! I rammed my shoulder into him. I’ll rip the rest of your face off if you don’t quit it!
He looked off and I looked back at the looming figure.
Instinct pulled at my gut for a while before I listened and turned towards another sound. A sound with a heat source. By the time I realized it was there, they were already just yards from me. A large rumbling vehicle that immediately peaked my interest and several breathers who looked unnervingly unafraid of me.
One of them tapped her partner and pointed at me. The other said something back and nodded. I didn’t like the way they were looking at me. You know, it’d been fun but I think I had to be going. I turned to move away and all hell broke loose, those breathers darted around so fast I thought for sure they could teleport. I think I got maybe five steps around the cement wall when something came down over my head and my arms wrenched behind my back. Fuck! My arms don’t bend that way, assholes!
Snarling and flailing, I tried to ward them off but I was bound before I knew it and whatever was on my head came off briefly as I was thrown into the back. I bit wildly at anything near my face, until I clamped down on the wrong thin and it was forced back in my mouth and tied secure around my head.
Desperately, I chewed at the gag, letting out muffled cries. I wasn’t scared or anything, but this seemed bad. Very bad.
What the hell were they going to do to me?