Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Memoirs of a Killer ❯ Chapter Seven ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Jack flipped open his phone to see who the hell was texting him. He shouldn't be surprised that it was Constance. "Whatever," he muttered. His day had been a complete waste of time. Everything the teacher's said went right over his head. He didn't understand how there could be letters in a math problem or what a conjunctive adjective was. Why in the hell did he need to know all that?

Going out to the walkway, he leaned against the building and stared up at the sky. Everyone had been calling him Ian all day. It was such a pain. The worst part about it was that he was actually starting to respond to it. Constance was going to have a field day today.

Constance hands ran up Daisy's body. Daisy shivered. Constance's mouth explored Daisy's skin silently as Daisy tried hard to keep her eyes closed tightly. Reaching down, Constance brushed Daisy's panties. Just as she was about to go further, her phone beeped. Constance pulled back and opened her phone. Daisy's eyes opened lazily.

"What...why did you stop?" Daisy asked.

Constance started to dress again. "I'm sorry. I have to do something real quick. Wait for me outside with Ian ok?" Constance said with a light smile.

Daisy hesitated but began to dress. She watched Constance closely and sighed. "Is everything ok?"

"Yes! Of course! I just have to do something for my boss. Will you wait for me outside, please?" She said putting her shoes on.

Daisy smiled. "Yes. I'll wait." Constance moved over to her and kissed her on the lips. "You won't be long will you?"

Constance winked. "Ten minutes tops!"

Daisy nodded and Constance left. Daisy finished dressing then started out of the building.

Constance looked at her text message again. It was from her boss. "Phoenix sent someone to meet you. Please take care of them. Show them the greatest hospitality." She closed her phone again and pulled out the knife from her sock while singing a light song.

It didn't take long before the one she was looking for heard her singing in the empty halls. With his gun in hand, a teacher stepped out into the hallway. Constance smiled at him.

"Mr. Calls. How lovely that you have come!" He was her history teacher. How long had be been watching her and how long had the boss known who he was? Didn't matter. He was dead.

"Muse. It took me all year to realize it was really you. Do you have any idea how much money your head is worth?" Mr. Calls asked while pointing the gun at her. He was young. Only in his twenties or so and he was so pleasantly clean. His hair was neatly combed and his clothes nicely pressed. But his green eyes where burning at Constance.

"Daniel says I'm worth the most because I'm number one!" she said sweetly. "Have you come to try and kill me?"

Mr. Calls smiled. "I don't intend to try, my dear Muse. I intend to succeed." He fired the gun and Constance moved.

He only blinked and she was gone. Surely, he didn't miss! He couldn't have! He ran down the hall following her voice as she sang. It was annoying. She was teasing him. It only angered him. He followed her song until he was in a classroom. Going against the wall, he peeked in with his gun held before him. The room was empty but he could clearly hear her.

Constance swung down from the top of the door and kicked Mr. Calls in the face. He flew to the ground and began firing off the gun as Constance moved and flipped to avoid bullets. She laughed as he got to his feet.

"Only two bullets left, Mr. Calls!" she sang. He scanned the room but she was no where to be found. "Behind you," she whispered in his ear.

His eyes grew wide and she stabbed his arm. His gun went flying across the room as he yelled. Her ears hurt at the sound. Bringing the knife to his neck, she quickly slit his throat and ended his voice as well as his life. Watching him fall to the ground she smiled covered in blood. She was about to head out when she suddenly stopped.

Daisy stood by the other wall with the gun at her feet. She reached down and picked it up with shaky hands and a drowned face in her own tears.

"It was more than ten minutes..." she whispered. "So I came looking for you..."

When Daisy came out alone, Jack knew that something was up. Apparently Constance had gotten another 'job'. Why on earth she would get a job right now after school was over, he couldn't fathom. There were far too many witnesses around. Was their so called boss really such a risk taker? Sighing, he looked over at Daisy, only to realize that she was gone.

"Not good," he muttered. Pushing himself off the wall, he let his knife fall into his palm. He heard singing.... That wasn't a good sign.

Constance slowly walked towards Daisy. Daisy held the gun up but didn't but her finger on the trigger.

"I...don't understand..." she said in a shaky voice as her eyes fell on the dead teacher. She was terrified, but more shocked than anything. "You're a messenger for a shoe maker..."

Constance moved closer and stood only a few feet from Daisy. The gun was pressed to Constance chest. Daisy began crying harder. She wasn't stupid. She knew she was going to die. And yet, even though she knew that, she couldn't pull the trigger and kill Constance. Her body shook more and Constance pulled the gun from her grip easily, but with care. Reaching in her pocket, Constance grabbed her iPod and put the head phones in Daisy's ears. Daisy looked up at her as Constance changed the music to The Fray's "Look After You."

"Close your eyes, Daisy," Constance whispered.

Hesitating, Daisy closed her eyes. "I don't understand..." she said again as Constance pulled back and pointed the gun at Daisy's head. "But...I forgive you..."

"Don't say such things," Constance said and pulled the trigger.

Jack heard the gunshot, and a second later he raced toward the sound of it. Looking back through the rooms, he couldn't believe what he saw. Daisy.... Looking at Constance, he acted on impulse and quickly removed the gun from her hand. If she had killed Daisy, there was no telling what she was capable of. "Constance...what did you just do?"

Constance looked at Daisy body on the ground. She wanted to cry, but she couldn't. Was it suppose to hurt? She wasn't sure. Did she miss Daisy? She wasn't sure of that either. Getting out her phone, she text her boss telling him the target was dead and so was a witness. Looking over at Ian, she didn't smile.

"I took care of the witness. It's my job," she said and started to walk out. Seconds later her phone rang. "Hello?" Daniel spoke on the other line. "I'm ok...I think...what does it feel like when you hurt your heart?" Daniel grew quiet then spoke again. "Ok. I'll ask Ian to make dinner when you come." They hung up and her phone beeped. The boss was sending a cleanup crew.

Daisy's family would never know Daisy was dead. Her body would simply vanish. They would make search parties and have police look for her but they would never find her. They will go months even years looking for her, but no one would have a clue. It would finally end at a cold case. All of it was because Constance killed the witness. It was her job...right?

"I...but Daisy was your friend! You cared about her! How could you just kill her like that?" How could she be so cold and emotionless about this. They weren't allowed to have friends...the simple fact that she had one, much less a lover...how could she just do that like she did? There had to be another way. She didn't have to kill her.

Jack's hands shook as he put away his knife. That was wrong. This...this was wrong.

Constance hands shook. Was what she did wrong? She had killed witnesses before. It was her job. The boss tells her to take care of witnesses. Was Daisy different? Was this different?

"I...did what I was told to do..." she said. Her head hurt. He hand went to her head and her phone rang. She ignored it. Her mind raced and her heart sped up. "I was right. It was right. I did what I was told. I'm a good girl..." she said to herself. The phone kept ringing. Constance pulled at her clothes as if they were too tight. "I did what I was told."

"Yeah, well what you were told sucks," Jack muttered. "You just killed someone you cared about. I'm sure that Daisy appreciates your commitment to your job." He couldn't look at her right now. She had done that because of her job. Because she was suppose to. Didn't she ever think for herself? Somehow he doubted that Daisy was the type to tell anyone. She could've been left alive.

Constance backed away. "But...I did what I was told..." She began to shake as she looked at Daisy on the ground. "Daisy...my daisy..."

Daniel moved in front of her and she looked up at him. He smiled at her lightly. "Look at you. Shaking so bad." He wiped her forehead. She was covered in sweat. "You didn't answer your phone when I called. I ran five red lights to get here."

Constance tried to smiled but her body was betraying her. Daniel pulled out a needle. She held her arm out and he stuck her with the needle. Rubbing the spot he stuck, he waited as her shaking slowed and she started taking deep breaths.

"That's my girl." She fought against herself to stay awake, but her eyes shut and she fell into his arms. He scooped her up and turned to Ian. "The boss wants to see you. I told you to keep your nose out of her business. I warned you, Ian. You've pushed her when you knew you shouldn't have." He walked out of the building and carried Constance to the car.

Jack didn't say a word. Walking to the limo he got in and watched as the driver took him to the building which housed Epsilon's inner circle. He followed the same route that Constance had taken him. Going to the elevator he pressed the same numbers that she had and watched as the elevator descended into its inner depths.

Turning, he faced the shadow council once more.

"You summoned me," Jack said bluntly.

"You are proving to be quite a disappointment," the boss stated.

"Gee, what a surprise. I'm sorry that I'm not a perfect little monster like you're Muse."

Though he couldn't see it, he felt as if the boss was smiling. "She is perfect, and that's why you will cease in what you're doing."

"All I'm doing is pointing out to her the fact that she's a monster!"

All of a sudden Jack couldn't move. It was as if his entire body had just quit working on him.

"That's quite enough out of you," the boss said. "This is going to prove quite problematic. You see, she loved Daisy. That was what kept her sane for the most part. Thanks to her interference, as well as yours, she is unstable. Perhaps we should just make you into Daisy. Remake you in her image, and then make Constance believe that Daisy was still alive. That would be far easier then training a dog like you."

Jack didn't see where the blow came from, but he doubled over as someone punched him in his gut. Another blow came, this time to his face, followed by many others. While his invisible assailant attacked him, he was helpless to defend himself or even yell in pain. All he could do was take it.

"Unless you want to end up as a teenage girl or as one of Constance's victims, I suggest that you keep your mouth shut. You've been nothing but a problem since you got here. We thought by giving you free will you might perform better, it seems we were wrong. We will be sure to remedy that." The last thing that Jack remembered was one final blow to the face and then his world went black.

Constance eyes slowly opened and she looked around. A needle was in her arm and was feeding her something she was sure Daniel wanted her to have. She let her head fall to the side and there was Daniel. He was writing on his clip board and she was sitting in his doctor office. There were other doctors working and busying themselves, trying not to look curiously at Constance. One thing that Constance never had to do was go to the Epsilon emergency room. She never got hurt in battle, not enough to end up here. Daniel put down the clip board. He stroked her hair and she smiled.

"Feeling better?" She nodded. "You did so well today. I'm so very proud and so is the boss. He sent you flowers." Daniel pointed to the table and Constance smiled bigger as she stared at the sun flowers. "He said to let you know that you did so well today that even bought you a new clown for your room. Isn't that great?"

Constance began to sit up and Daniel helped her. "I'm so happy you aren't upset. I thought I did something wrong."

"Not at all. You did what you were told to do and that is good." Constance sighed. "Tell me how you feel."

"I miss Daisy. I won't ever feel her lips anymore, Daniel. I miss her kisses." Daniel wrote on the clipboard. Constance moved to him and pressed her lips to his. He didn't react at all. He waited patiently until she was done and when she pulled back he waited for her to speak. "You don't taste like her. She tasted like grape chap stick," she said sadly.

Daniel looked at the other doctors and they disappeared. Moments later someone came running in and handed him chap stick. He opened the cap and reached over to Constance. He painted her lips with it and she licked them. Constance smiled brightly.

"Grape. Like Daisy," she said.

Daniel wrote that down on his clip board. "Do you want anything else?"

Constance shrugged. "Ice cream."