Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Memoirs of a Killer ❯ Chapter Thirty Nine ( Chapter 39 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
There was something different about Jack as he fought. His normal joking self was replaced with a solemn killer. Firing his last bullet into one of the legs of the hired guns, he quickly moved and snapped his snap. Clean and proficient. "I let you live before, Natasha, and I will give you the chance once more. Leave and you will live."

"I have nothing else to live for but your demise." She came at him with the knives again, but this time he ducked and weaved beneath her blades, dodging them as if she was moving in slow motion. Reaching up, he grabbed her wrists and forced her to drop the knives.

"I'm done, Natasha, and so are you."

"No, my friend. You killed my family in a fire and so shall you die." She smirked and leaned forward to kiss him. Before he could react the entire place went up in smoke and fire. He was sent sprawling out from the blast. Fire covered his clothes and a piece of wood had stabbed into his side. Even as he struggled to get up he watched as the flames consumed the bar.

"Damn it!" he yelled. He struggled to get up, Natasha could still be alive, and Sheila was in the basement; but it was a small town and people were already starting to help against the fire. Pulling the piece of wood out of him, he quickly swatted at the flames. Now he'd been blown up twice in his life. That had to be a record.

Still, he couldn't wait around to see what had happened. Whether Natasha was dead or not was a mute point. As long as she thought he was dead that was all that mattered. Taking off his jacket, he pressed it against his wound and hailed a cab to take him back to Brian. He couldn't believe that he'd fallen for her trap. She was ready to kill herself just to take him out.

No sooner had he gotten out of the cab when a truck came up behind it. Looking, he saw Sheila. He couldn't quite read the emotion in her face as she ran up to him. First she slapped him and then she kissed him. "Thank God you're okay. What the hell happened to my bar? You're bleeding!?"

Jack just slumped against their pick up. He didn't have the energy left to push her away or to even explain. "Not...now," he said, trying to push her back even as she tried to help him stand.

Constance stood frozen at the sight of Shelia kissing Jack. Brian moved next to her quickly, but still she didn't move. She just stood there staring at Jack and Shelia. Had she saw wrong? It happened so fast. Maybe it was a mistake. Maybe it was just the fumes from the engine that was playing tricks on her head.

"Constance?" Brian said.

"I've got...to get inside." Thirty minute car ride plus extensive blood loss wasn't a good combination. Already he was starting to pass out.

"Inside? Jack you need to get to a hospital!" Sheila started to pull him to her truck, but he shook his head.

"No I...." He didn't get another word out before he began to waver. The blood loss took its toll and finally he succumbed, passing out on the grass.

"Jack!" Sheila knelt beside him, stroking his hair lovingly. This couldn't happen. Not now, not when he just came back into her life.
Brian left Constance and rushed to Ian's said. He looked back at Constance. "Get my bag!" Constance snapped her head to him.

"Yes!" she yelled and ran inside.

She had been seeing things. Jack didn't let that girl kiss him. It was all in her head she was sure of it. She grabbed his bag and began setting things up as Brian walked in carrying Jack. Brian worked quickly on Jack and told Constance to go to Daniel's study and open the large cabinet. She was instructed to get an adrenalin shot. Brian patched Jack up, the push the adrenalin in his heart. Constance watched as Jack took a deep breath and his eyes moved open. Brian smiled.

"Nothing but a flesh wound," he joked. "You'll be fine if you just take it easy. You lost more blood than anything. The damage isn't so bad."

Constance wrapped her arms around Jack's neck. "What happened? You scared me so bad showing up here with a wound."

Sheila stood in the back. Who were these people? How did they know Jack?

"Bar blew up on me," he said slowly. "Natasha's dead...or I'm dead...either way it should be over."

"Jack...you're okay," Sheila said with a relieve smile, glad to see that he hadn't died on her.

"Sheila? What...what are you doing here?"

"I followed you after...well, everything happened. Then you passed out. I'm glad that you're okay."
Brian patted Jack and grabbed another needle. He pushed it in Jack's arm. "To help numb the pain again," he said.

Constance pulled back and began helping Brian clean up. She smiled at Jack. "I'm almost done with the truck!" She wanted to talk about something. Anything not about the fact he came home with a wound and with a girl she didn't know.

Jack thanked Brian, but his attention was on Sheila? What was she doing here? She shouldn't be here. Pushing himself off of the couch, he nearly passed out again. Still, he forced himself to move. "Sheila, you should go home," he said, trying to stand.

"Jack, I can't go home, not until I know you'll be okay? Who are these people? How do you know them?"

"Come on, I'll walk you to your truck." Despite her protests, he still managed to guide her outside. Every step he took made him reconsider his decision, but the numbing effect of the shot was starting to take effect. He just wanted to get her out of here before she learned something that could get her killed. Too many innocents had already suffered because of him.

"I don't understand I...."

"I promise, I'll explain everything later. Just go home and get some rest."

She looked hesitant, but finally she nodded. Just as Jack was about to turn to go back inside she grabbed him and kissed him.
Constance had followed them out, hoping to learn something about the woman, however once again she froze. They were kissing. Jack didn't seem like he was stopping her. Why? Why!? Brian went to reach for her, but she twisted around him, grabbed the gun strapped to his waist and ran towards Jack and Sheila. Before Sheila knew what was going on, Constance pulled her from Jack.

Without hesitating, Constance shoved her fingers into Sheila's mouth and grabbed her lower jaw. Her leg went up and kicked her in the chest as her arm pulled at her jaw. The sound of bones breaking and skin tearing filled the peaceful air. The jaw came off Sheila's body as her dead form hit the ground. Blood covered Constance body. Not missing a beat, Constance pointed the gun at Jack's head while still holding Sheila's jaw with her other hand.

Brian rushed over to her. "Put the gun down, Constance," he said. She ignored him.

Her eyes were clouded with tears and her body shook. "Why? Why would you let her? Why didn't you stop her?" Her voice was shaky with tears and a broken heart. "Tell me you didn't kiss her back before. Tell me you didn't make her believe that you were free to kiss. Tell me something that will make me lower the gun from you head."

Jack's eyes froze as he watched Sheila's dead body fall to the ground. Looking up at Constance he just shook his head. "What...what did you do? What did you do that for! She was innocent! She didn't deserve to die!" He didn't care that she had a gun pointed to his head. She'd just killed someone that he was trying to save. "I was trying to protect her and you kill her! Why?"

Jack tried hard to control his emotions, but as he stared at her watching her cry acting as if she was the victim, he actually felt sick. She made him sick.... "That meant nothing," he told her. "I was trying to get her out of here so that we wouldn't have to kill her, because there has been enough death today; but evidently that doesn't matter to you. She kissed me, not the other way around. I'd told her before that I was taken, but she still had hope." He stopped. Why was he trying to defend himself? She didn't deserve an explanation.

Brian took that time to grab the gun. He pulled Constance away from Jack by the waste. Constance chucked Sheila's jaw at Jack. "Leave! I don't want you here anymore! Leave and don't come back, you bastard! I hope you rot in hell!" she screamed as Brian pulled her to the house.

Brian picked her up while she screamed and kicked. He turned to Jack. "Just leave. I'll clean up the mess. Just go," he said and walked inside.

Leave. Right. Sure, why not. Jack didn't bother to argue. Getting into Sheila's truck, he turned the keys and started off toward down. He'd ditch the truck in the woods and walk back to his motel. From there he'd sleep, and in the morning...well, who knew now. Miami was starting to look a hell of a lot better now.

After burying Sheila, Brian fought against Constance to get a shot in her. After she was passed out he called Daniel to fill him in. Daniel nearly freaked. "Go to the airport. You'll have tickets waiting for you there."

"Where are we going?" Brian asked as he looked at Constance who was crying even though she was sleeping.

"I have no choice but to bring her back here. I have nowhere else for her to hide. I was relying on Jack to be there to help protect her, but it seems that fate has kicked me in the face. Once you are here, I'll figure something out. Just get to the airport now."

The phone went dead. Brian turned back to Constance. After stripping her and wiping the blood off her, he changed her. He carried her to the taxi along with their luggage and held her close as the taxi took them to the airport. Constance was just waking up as the taxi pulled up to it. She was confused and completely heartbroken, but Brian told her they were going to Daniel and she didn't ask any more questions.

By the time the sun came up Jack was just starting to fall asleep. It had taken him a while to cover his tracks and finally get back, and even now as he laid in bed he was trying to figure out what to do. The look on Constance's face as she held the gun to his head. It wasn't something he could shake so easily. Finally after an hour of not being able to do anything he sat up and stared outside. From where he was he could still see the remnants of the bar. Shaking his head he sat back down, uncertain as to what to do.

It was hours before Constance and Brian had arrived back in the U.S. Constance hadn't said one word, even when Daniel had come to pick them up. Not one word came from her mouth. She sat in the back seat and cried the whole way to his house and when they finally arrived, Daniel had to coax her out. He carried her inside and laid her down on the bed. Afterward, he said with Brian.

"Explain to me again why she killed the woman."

"She saw the girl kiss Jack and she snapped." Brian sat back. "In her defense, it wasn't the first time she saw it. She saw it beforehand about, thirty minutes. She completely shrugged it off. I wasn't sure if she just didn't care or if she just thought it was a mistake. The second time made her snap. She moved so fast. I wasn't able to stop her."

"I wouldn't expect you to be able to stop her. What did Jack say again?"

"He was mad with her of course. He yelled at her and told her that the girl was innocent. Afterward he told her the kiss meant nothing and that he only did it to protect her."

"Constance wouldn't understand something like that."

"Obviously."