Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Memoirs of a Killer ❯ Chapter Sixty Six ( Chapter 66 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
"Huh? What do you mean? They're leaving? When?" Jessica just got very confused very quickly.

"You can't very well believe they will always stay. Eventually Constance will fall for Jack again and he will want to start a life with her. Of course Brian will move closer to them to keep tabs with Constance for his studies and then the house will be empty," he said with a very sad smile. "Even though I am somewhat thrilled that she doesn't love Jack, I'm no fool. Jack will win her over."

Jessica frowned at this. "Brother, if Constance does choose Jack again...will you promise me something?" She looked at him with the large sorrowful eyes which she had mastered, knowing that he'd be putty in her hands.

"Don't look at me like that. It's cruel," he said with a small laugh.

She laughed. "Please get laid," she told him. "Get a boyfriend, girlfriend, or whatever you want; but I want you to be happy."

Daniel nearly choked on thin air. "Don't talk like that, Jessica! You're still my little sister." He laughed. "I've loved Constance for seven years. It won't be so easy to just move on."

Jessica nearly doubled over in laughter at her brother's face. "Oh come on, bro. It's not like you're....wait...you're not still a you know...." She looked at him curiously.

"I haven't be a 'you know' for a very very long time, Jessica," he smirked. "Stay out of my sexual life."

"What! I'm just trying to look out for ya," she winked, before quickly laughing at his expression. Wiping tears from her eyes, she smiled at him. "Please though, try to get a social life. For me?"

"I have a social life. Though it doesn't seem important to you, it's important to me," he said. "For ten years my life surrounded around Epsilon and Constance. I like my life, Jessica. I like living and doing what I do. I like taking care of her and when she leaves I really won't know what to do with my time." He laughed. "But I can assure you it won't be discussed with you."

Jessica sighed. It wasn't the answer she had been hoping for, but at least it was a start. "Fair enough," she said. "But mark my words! You will have a girlfriend by the time I finish college. If not that you're going to be married!" She nodded fervently at that.

"I wouldn't hold your breath, Jessica," he said as he played with her curls. "Now leave me alone will you?"

Jessica giggled. "Fine. I'll let you be." She kissed his cheek before going off to see how Constance was doing.

Daniel sat there a moment thinking of everything he had said. Yes, Constance would leave...and if not....

He stood and walked back to the living room and stood in the door way looking at her. Brian was changing her bandages on her arms. She winced, but would smile and it would cause him to smile. Seven years he watched her laugh, cry, smile, and kill and yet...he had to love her from afar. Even now, when she sat in his house, on his couch, sleeping in his guest room, he had to silently hand her over to another guy.

Jack sat on the arm of the couch, gently running his fingers through her hair as Brian redid her bandages. She was doing splendidly.

Jessica looked at Jack and Constance, then back to where her brother was. No matter who Constance chose, someone was going to get hurt.

Constance grabbed Brian's hand and he helped her stand. Wincing, she took steps towards Daniel. He extended his arms and she moved into them. "Don't do that again, Constance. You could open your wound on your back," he said as she leaned against him.

"Her bandage on her back need to be changed," Brian said.

Daniel picked her up. "I'll do it."

He walked upstairs after grabbing some bandages and set her on the bed. With his help, Constance lifted her night gown over her head and let it hit the floor. Slowly, he took off the old bandage and moved it aside. He started to wrap her. After finishing, he helped her put her gown back on. He went to lift her to bring her back downstairs, but she stopped them. Daniel looked at her as she stared at the ground with her good arm extended and holding his shirt. Daniel got to his knees in front of her as she sat and lifted her chin to look her in the eyes.

"Constance, what is it?" he asked.

"You once made a promise to me, Daniel," she said in a low voice. Daniel dropped his hand from her and scanned her eyes. "Will you keep it?"

Jack watched as Daniel took Constance up to wrap her wounds. Closing his eyes, he smiled. It was sad, but it was a smile. He really cared for her. Shaking his head, he stood and stretched. "I'm going to take a shower," he told them. Nodding to Brian, he started for his room, but stopped as Jessica stared at him.

"You okay?"

"Of course," Jack said. "Just tired. I didn't sleep much on the train ride."

Daniel was quiet. Too quiet for Constance’s liking. "Answer me!" she said raising her voice. It wasn't a yell, but it was enough to make Daniel understand how important this was to her.

"Yes, I intend to keep it if you wish me to," he finally said.

Constance lips tightened. "And...you weren't joking when you said...you love me?"

"No."

Jack ran the water as hot as it could get. He hissed as the hot water hit his skin. Closing his eyes he just let it run over him.

Jessica walked over and poked Brian in the ribs. "So tell me, other than getting shot and near death experiences, what do you guys do for around here?"

"Depends on your definition of fun," Brian said.

Constance placed her hand lightly on Daniel's shoulder. "Then...I want you to keep it," she said. Leaning in, she placed her lips on his.

Daniel hesitated, but finally closed his eyes and brought his hand up to her face. Lightly, he massaged her lips with his until they parted, their foreheads still touching. "Is this what you really want?" Daniel whispered.

"When I was running after killing Boss Man, all I could think about was getting to the needle to keep me sane so I could see you again. All I wanted was to come back home to you," she said as her hand fisted his shirt. "Am I...a bad person for not loving Jake like I once did?"

"Something that doesn't involve killing," Jessica said bluntly.

"Then I've got nothing to tell you. Oh, we have great internet service," Brian said smiling.

Daniel pulled back and cupped Constance's face. "No, it makes you human," he said. "Though, telling Jack about this will hurt him and in turn hurt you, you must tell him."

Constance looked down. "Yes, I know...and he will leave..."

"Most likely, yes," Daniel said dropping his hands from her once again.

"And I don't want him to."

"He has to live his own life and if he wants to go, he has the right to. And if not," Daniel lifted her chin again and smiled at her. Small tears fell from her eyes. "He is more than welcome to stay."

Jessica groaned. "Yeah, but all the fun sites are blocked," she muttered. Crossing her arms beneath her chest she sighed. "I'm going to die of boredom!"

Brian pulled up his laptop. He did a bit of typing and clicking before turning it to face her. "No they're not." He smirked. "You just have to know how to bypass the firewalls and blocks."

Jessica's face turned red as she saw the site. Clearing her throat she looked at him. "You're so going to have to show me how to do that."

Brian laughed. "Don't tell Daniel. He'll kill me."

Jessica smirked. "Don't worry, I won't. He'd kill me too if he found out," she laughed.

"Yeah, but it looks so much worse when his apprentice is the one showing his little sister naughty sights."

"I don't mind!" Jessica looked at the site he had brought up. Clicking one of the links she smiled. "So, is this one of your favorite sites?"

"Nope, just one of the sites that are easy enough to find," he said and started working on his paper work again.

Jessica looked at the site again, trying to remember what it was called. Looking back at Brian she tried to see what he was writing. "What are you working on?" Since she had been there he'd always been writing on this or that, and she was curious what he was doing.

"Formulas, medical combinations, this and that for the next drug for Constance. Curing her is going to bring me a step closer to global domination," he said. He looked up at her and smiled. "If you're nice, I'll let you have a country all to yourself."

Jessica smiled. "I don't need a country. Just give me Hawaii," she laughed. Looking at his notes she whistled slightly. "So all of this stuff is really interesting to you?"

"I built my life on this. And these formulas are my life's work. If I couldn't practice medicine, I wouldn't have anything else to do other than kill people," he said. "I'm only good at those two things...oh...and sex. I'm really good at sex. Just ask Jack."

Jessica blushed. "So you and Jack have...umm...you know?" That was an interesting mental image.

Brian laughed. "No, but I think Jack wanted to at one point. What I was getting at was that he's seen me with multiple men and women. I'm like a drug to people. Once they have me, their addicted." He smirked. "I had to have a pass time while being in the shadows at Epsilon. Got board a lot so I started having sex." He turned to his work again. "Turned out I was good at it."

Jessica thought about this for a moment. "So would you ever consider-" Before she could finish Jack cleared his throat behind them.

"You might want to close that," he said nodding to the laptop. "Before Daniel sees it."

Brian reached over and pushed a few keys and the screen went black. He closed it. Just as he was doing that Daniel came down stairs. He looked at Jack. "Constance wants to speak with you. She's in her room waiting," he said.

Jack looked up at Daniel. His expression hardened as he saw Daniel's face. Taking a deep breath he nodded and started to Constance's room. He knew what was coming, and already his heart hurt. Opening the door, he smiled as he saw her. "Daniel said you wanted to speak to me?"

Constance wiped her eyes and put on a smile. "Yes..." She patted the spot beside her. "You always know things before I say them...so I know you know..."

"I kind of had a feeling," he said softly as he sat beside her. He wanted to show her that he was upset with this, but he put on a strong face for her. "I know that he'll make you happy. So I'm okay with it."

Constance felt tears welling up again. "I feel so guilty. And it would be so much easier if you hated me. All I can do is beg for your forgiveness and tell you that I wish I could go back..." She shook her head. "Whatever you want me to say or do I'll do it. I owe you so much..."

"All I want is for you to be happy and to be loved," he told her. "That's all... And if you're with Daniel, I know that you'll be both."

She nodded as she looked at the ground. Her tears clouded her vision so it wouldn't matter if she was looking at him or not. "Will...will you be leaving now?"

Jack hesitated. "Yes, I will. I'll wait till you get better, but then I think it would be best if I take my leave."

Constance took a deep breath. "Why?"

"Because I love you; and while I'm glad that you've chosen Daniel...it will hurt too much to see you with him."

Constance raised her hand to place it over his, she hesitated half way there but decided to go for it. She gripped his hand tightly. "It could take months until I'm healed. By then...Daniel and I..." she removed her hand. "I don't want to hurt you anymore."