Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ The Beginning of the End ❯ Red Sunset ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

The Beginning of the End
Part 1
 
 
Our tale begins in the port town of Yogsoth in the kingdom of the Bird. More specifically, in The Wet Wineskin tavern. Within you can see the different patrons which come to this specific tavern. Sailors from the docks, Rouges and journeymen traveling through on adventures, and even a group of holy men of Glarg, god of alcohol, the Drunken Monks. All is well and goodly. There is even a bard up on the stage spouting tales of glorious adventures and passionate romances. As the latest tale comes to an end, the patrons all give their applause.

"Hey Raryn," one woman says with a slurred voice. "Give us that tale of the dragon knight guys again." As the cry leaves her lips, the rest of the tavern rears in approval, all wanting to hear the tale again.
"Ah, but I have already spoken that tale twelve times today," a man of around 22 years speaks. "Isn't there any other tale you would like?"

As the patrons a getting ready to speak, the door to The Wet Wineskin is thrust open and in steps a ragged looking Elvin women.

"I seek the one known as Raryn Fo'Aldren, the bard," she states as she falls unconscious to the tavern floor.
 
The young bard quickly grabs her and takes her up into one of the lodgings upstairs, where he sets her down on the bed and begins to check for any wounds. She begins to open her eyes after a few minutes and slowly tries to speak.

"Where...Where is Raryn Fo'Aldren...the bard?" She collapses back and begins to sleep from exhaustion.
 
 
As Raryn proceeds back down to the tavern level of The Wet Wineskin, the door to the tavern is thrown wide once more and the whole place goes silent towards the newcomer.

"We are looking for an Elvin maiden, she was reported running into this tavern just a little while ago," says the newcomer, a man by the looks of it, cloaked from head to foot in animal skin. "She is wanted by the militia of Yogsoth for theft and murder."

"I'm sorry sir," Raryn replies. "But no elf has entered this tavern; perhaps your information is off a bit."

"Ok, I shall go look into the other taverns for her." With that, the strange man left and the bustle of the tavern returned.

"Did you see that guy," one of the patrons says. "He didn't look like no militia man to me."

"Your right," another patron replies. "He was probably a merc or somethin'."

"Hey Raryn, did that maiden say anything about why she was here?"

"No, she didn't," Raryn replies. "When I got her to a room, she asked where Raryn was."

"Well, I guess she don't know what ya look like," shouts another patron. "But th' next time she wakes, ask her why she's here!"
 
 
After another few minutes of being in a restless state, the elf wakes up and sees that she's all alone. She gets out of beds, but falls right back down on the bed. She slowly gets up again and steadies herself using the bedside table. She heads toward the door to make her way down to the bar, to see if she can talk to Raryn.

She comes out and looks for the man who brought her up to the room, she finds him sitting at the bar. She goes over to him, and asks if he could point her in the direction of Raryn the bard.
 
The young man looks at her with a wide grin on his face. "Your looking for Raryn the bard, correct?"

"Yes," the elf replies. "It is urgent that I find him before they find me."

"Before who finds you?"

"That I shall only discuss with Raryn," the elf states.

"Why are you looking for him then?" Raryn replies.

"I seek him because of rumors of him being a great user of mystical music."

"Well in that case....." Raryn says as he tunes his guitar. "Let me give you a taste of the magic."
 
The elf sits down impatiently not really wanting to waste time with some minstrel that isn't or doesn't know where Raryn is. Raryn starts to play his guitar, and he begins to tell a tale, a tale of an ancient and archaic society known as the Golden Dragons. He goes off in his story and the elf is so captured by the music and the story, she begins to feel herself freed from her worries and stress.
 
Through the music, the elf and everyone else in the tavern, have witness to the ancient society as if they were a part of it themselves. They witnessed its greatest point and then its downfall. When the tale ended, no one spoke.

"Elf," Raryn said. "May I ask your name?"

"My name is Syriantus," the elf replies.

"Well then Syriantus. Your search is over, for I am Raryn Fo'Aldren," Raryn states as a wide smile crosses his face.
 
Sitting behind them, drinking a nice glass of herbal tea, Mahiko says, "Why must you be so mysterious, Raryn? Just help the girl already, rather then singing your stories!"

Mahiko stands up and bows to the elf, "I am Mahiko. My services our also yours if you so desire."
 
"Well Mahiko," Raryn starts. "I am pretty sure that she would not have believed me if I would have said that I was Raryn, without proving my ability."

Throughout this exchange, Syriantus was dumbstruck. She had found Raryn, yet she hadn't even known it was him.

"So, what is this that you need Raryn for, Miss Syriantus?" Mahiko asks politely.

"Oh!" Syriantus states as she realizes that someone asked here something. "I need help finding the people that destroyed my village and entire tribe, and then I need help to dispose of them."

"You don't seem the kind of person that would kill people," Raryn states.

"Well, ten years of being hunted by the killers doesn't leave much room for mercy in ones life."
 
"I do not approve much of killing unnecessarily, however, ten years of hunting you down..." Mahiko ponders a bit on how he should act in this situation, "I believe it would be acceptable by God if these men were killed, but we must try to extinguish this want to harm other people first, then if necessary, we shall "dispose of them"!" Being the religious man he is, everything must be done according to God's will.
 
"Mahiko, when are you going to ease up on spouting all this religious stuff," Raryn says, being a wandering bard has not allowed him to develop any sense for religion.

"Raryn, you must learn to embrace God," Mahiko states. "If you ever want to find peace in the afterlife."

"Um, excuse me," Syriantus says. "As much as this conversation is entertaining. We must get back to the matter at hand."

"Ok," Raryn states completely forgetting his conversation with Mahiko.

"Raryn, our conversation is not over with yet," Mahiko states as he turns to listen to what Syriantus has to say.
 
"Thank you. So the people that have been hunting me for these 10, pain-staking long years, from what I can tell, are members of a cult known as The Red Death. They hunted down my village, because it was rumored that when we die, our eyes solidify and can be sold for high prices, they even say that,” she pauses to give off a shudder, “they can be used to enhance physical strength if ingested.
 
"That's just plain sick! How can someone do that? Anyways, the Red Death, that sounds familiar... where have I heard that name before..." Then with realization, his eyes grew large, "They... They are... the ones... they killed my parents... my birth parents..." then with a much more angry tone, "The Red Death! Syriantus, I WILL be joining you on this quest! I will kill them!"
 
Syriantus notices a gleam in Raryn's eye.

"What happened to 'we must try to extinguish this want to harm other people first, then if necessary, we shall "dispose of them'. What happened to Loving God, and all that?"

"Thank you for volunteering Mr. Mahiko, but if Raryn doesn't join us i fear we may have no chance of going up against them."
 
"Screw God, right now!" With that exclamation, Mahiko's chair falls to pieces and he is thrown to the floor. "Mental note, never say that sentence again." He gets up and finds another seat to listen to what Raryn has to say.
 
"Well, I don't see anything wrong with helping you on your quest," Raryn states in a now serious voice. "But I must tell you one thing about the cult of the Red Death before we start."

Syriantus looks at him sternly. "But I already know all there is to know about the cult."

"No you don't," Raryn states. "If all you've heard are from tales spun by others. I know about the cult straight from the mouth of a member."

Both Mahiko and Syriantus stare dumbfounded at Raryn's exclamation. "How.....how did you manage to get it from one of them?" Mahiko states. "Their order forbids any telling of secrets to outsiders under pain of death."

"Let's just say," Raryn begins. "That I have ways of making anyone talk. " At the end of this he pats his guitar and gives a noting nod to it. "But back to the matter at hand. The Red Death is much more dangerous now, then it was at any other point in its history."

"Why is that?" Syriantus asks nervously.

"It is because now, the Red Death has in their ranks, an avatar of their god Alsavan the Brutal!"
 
 
"Alsavan!" Mahiko was aghast, "no way...his name puts fear into the most powerful of champions! His return from eternal banishment, could mean the end of the world!" He then collapsed into a chair, "Where could they have found an avatar with enough power to bring him back, it took so many lives just to banish him from this dimension..." An amount of fear had come over him, an amount that he had never felt before.
 
"I don't know where they found a suitable host body for Alsavan," Raryn states now in a hushed voice. "But, they found one, and their god now walks among us in search of a way to bring its corporal from back from the abyss."

With this interesting tidbit of information, Syriantus begins to put two and two together. "That is why they killed my tribe!" she shouts out unexpectedly. "To give one of their ranks the physical strength to hold their god!"
 
 
Now coming back to his usual calm self, Mahiko inquires, "If their God is already back, then why do they still hunt you?!? His power is feared even by the other Gods! It makes little sense... could a single pair of elfin eyes make that much of a difference in strength? It's not feasible..." He turns back to Raryn, "what are your thoughts, why would they spend so much time and man power searching for a single elf's eyes if their God is already back?" Then in a whisper so that only Raryn could hear, even to an elf's ears, "Do you suppose she is hiding something from us? Perhaps she has something more valuable then hers eyes that they want..."
 
"Yes, I thought it was weird that the Red Death would go to such lengths to capture but one elf," Raryn says. "What is it that you are hiding, does it have something to do with that merc that came through here earlier. Because I know that the Red Death has no need to hire them."

"I....I'm not sure why they are after me," Syriantus states in a shaky voice.

"Sounds fishy to me," Raryn states.

"Lying is a corporal sin and shall cast your soul forever into the abyss," Mahiko also adds.

"Ok," Syriantus states, giving into the pressure. "I killed a good lot of the cult's followers when they destroyed my village."
 
"Hmm..." Mahiko stands and ponders on this, "Well Raryn, you seem to be the true expert here, is this enough for them to hunt her for ten years?" Mahiko asks unknowingly. He is quite puzzled by this elf, she tells them little, but asks them to do much.
 
"Well, if I'm correct on this issue, then it is not her life they are after," Raryn states quizzingly.

"But I thought them to be brutal and loyal to their fellow members," states Syriantus.

"Well they are, to a point," Raryn explains. "Ah, I remember now. Should an outsider kill members of the cult, the following members will recruit said person as soon as possible."

Both Mahiko and Syriantus are struck dumb again at this revelation.

"So, it was not my life they were after....." says Syriantus.

"But her soul and fighting prowess," finishes Mahiko.
 
"That's....that's horrible, I've heard stories of their initiation ceremonies, its so horrid, I couldn't possibly bear being a member."

Having everything she held true in her mind for the past 10 years shattered by these new facts leaves Syriantus stunned in silence.

"Hmmm, if they aren't after me to kill me, only to recruit into their ranks...then if I were to join their ranks, it could help me get closer to the answers and to Alsavan. Maybe I can even get close enough to learn their plans and share them with you guys." says Syriantus slowly and steadily so she and Raryn and Mahiko can grasp and understand just what this plan entails.
 
"That won't be a good idea," Raryn states. "Remember what I said about the leaking of information to outsiders?"

"They are.......killed," Syriantus states halfheartedly. "Well it sounded like a good plan at the beginning."
 
"Either way, we have to do something, some how to stop them..., and Alsavan, but I agree its far to dangerous for you to join them, the temptation to do evil would be too great, if you join them you will fall..."
 
"Yes," states Raryn. "Once again, you show your intelligence Mahiko, even if it is pretty small."

"Hey!" Mahiko shouts when he realizes that Raryn just insulted him.

"Thank you both," Syriantus states. "I shall owe you much when this is over."
 
Glaring at Raryn, "You'll regret that..."
Then to Syriantus, "No problem, it is our honor to do such things, literally!"
 
"Well now that the whole 'plotting out our course of action' phase is done," Raryn states. "Let us be on our way."

"Uh, Raryn," Syriantus says.

"Yes?"

"We have not thought out a plan yet," Syriantus states.

"Oh, well, I feel like getting out of this place," Raryn says. "I need to get away from this crowd."

"Raryn!" people from the crowd in the tavern shout. "When is your next tale going to start!"

"I see your point," Mahiko says. "Let's be on our way."
 
"So where should we head to next, Raryn?"

They begin to walk down the path from the pub but before they reach the fork in the path, a mysterious man notices them and sees the female elf walking in between the two men. He realizes that this is who Alsavan wants to join their ranks. "Pah, Alsavan wants a female elf to join the mighty cult of Red Death, she looks no stronger than an infant. And yet if I fail to capture her, Alsavan will surely have me sent to the abyss." He thinks all this to himself as the party steadily approaches. He quickly hides behind the underbrush and prepares to jump out at them and kill the two men and capture the female elf.
 
"Hum, where to go exactly," Raryn says. "Mahiko, you think of something."

"Why is it always me that has to do this sort of thing," Mahiko complains. "I mean, every time we go to a new city, it is always....."

"Quiet Mahiko," Raryn states in a whisper. "I think we are being followed or someone is waiting for us."

"How do you know this?" Syriantus asks.

"Well, years of listening to music and playing it has given me quite an accurate sense of hearing."

At that declaration, the member of the Red Death Jumps out from the underbrush and charges the group.

"See, I told you something was going to happen."
 
Mahiko uses an ability he has recently mastered to sense the man's strength, "What a foolish man, to charge at us, when he has so little spiritual strength!" Mahiko laughs at this, "Perhaps we should allow the elf, Syriantus, to fight him, just to show us her skill." He says to Raryn.
 
"If you guys don't mind, I'd like to warm myself up, I haven't fought any one in quite awhile." She starts speaking in elfish, and suddenly a violent wind rushes at the lone man and slams him back against a tree. "Do you guys mind if I kill him, or do you want to question him" While she turns her back to ask, she makes sure the man is pinned to the tree with wind restraints.
 
"Hum, I don't know," Raryn states. "I might be able to convince him to give us information."

"No," Mahiko says, "Why don't we just get what information we can out of him, and turn him into the police." Raryn takes a few moments to think out the course of action.

"That's what I just said, and we could always find out more about the avatar of Alsavan from him."

Syriantus walks up to the captive man, "What do ya know about the avatar for your god?"
 
"Pfft,” the man spits, “like I'd tell you anything, you foul she-elf." Syriantus shrinks the wind cuffs on the man.

"Now will you tell us or will I have to tighten these even more?"

"Go ahead and kill me, I won't tell you anything"

"Raryn, do you know of any songs that can help 'persuade' our friend here to talk?" asks Mahiko.
 
"Let me think......" Raryn states. "Let's try this." He pulls out his guitar and strikes a few chords. He then begins to spin his song.

"Arg! Me ears!" the cult member screams, "My ears are exploding!"

"Oops, wrong song," Raryn states under the glare of both Mahiko and Syriantus.

"Well, that might not have been as unsuccessful as we thought, let's try to get the information from him now," Mahiko says to Syriantus.

"Ok," she replies. "Now let's try this again. Tell us what you know about the avatar for your god, or my friend will continue with the music."
 
"...I shall... tell you nothing..." says the man

"Very well then, let's see..." Mahiko pulls a bible out of his pocket, and begins to read from it, (saying some gibberish that I don't know because I'm not religious), and making sure to say God a lot!
 
"I shall.....tell......you....nothing!" the cultist shouts. "My god protects me!" But at the exclamation a flash of a silver arrow streaks out of nowhere and strikes the man square in the neck.

Mahiko walks up to the man to check his vitals, already knowing the results. "He's dead."

A shadow moves quickly and silently across the rooftops of the neighboring buildings. "That is one more cultist down, and one more toward my ultimate revenge." The figure moves toward the edge of a building and jumps into flight.
 
 
Syriantus looks shocked when Mahiko announces his death, "Who could have killed him? Do you think it was the work of his fellow cultists. Do you think they can see us?" Syriantus looks around her nervously.
 
"No, I don't believe it was one of his own..." Mahiko exclaims "it was another, possibly another person that wants the Red Death faction dead also..."
 
"Well, the cult of the Red Death is not the most popular of the religious sects," Raryn explains. "So there must be many people and beings out there who want them dead. But it doesn't matter right now. What matters is where we are going to go next."
 
"Well how about we head to the left?" suggests Syriantus.

"I'm okay with that. We may even meet up with people upon the road, whom we can ask what lies ahead," replies Mahiko.

"Then its settled, we'll head off to our left," says Raryn as he starts off in that direction.
 
 
After a few hours on the road. "Wait, do either of you know what time it is first? Because if it's to late we would be better off spending the night at an inn" Mahiko suggests.
 
"Well, from the placement of the sun in relation to our shadows," Raryn states. "I would say that very soon, the eternal darkness shall envelope our lighted world."

Neither Syriantus nor Mahiko can understand what Raryn just stated.

"Raryn," Syriantus says, "Can you please repeat that sentence in a way that us simple folk can understand."

"Sorry, years of story-weaving do that to you," Raryn replies. "What I said that it will be dark soon, very soon. In a few minutes if I'm correct."

"Then we should find an inn," states Mahiko.

"We passed the last inn about five miles back," Raryn says.

"Are there no others near us?"

"Uh, in about ten miles that way," Raryn replies pointing down the road.

"So, I guess were sleeping outside tonight," Syriantus says disappointedly.
 
"Damn!" Mahiko states, having spent the last several nights sleeping outside. "Oh well, can't help what is... Perhaps tomorrow night we will be able to spend the night in an inn. But for now lets just set up camp we'll rise early tomorrow morning, the more land we cover the better."
 
 
The three companions set up camp in a nearby copse of trees.

"Stupid fire light already!" Raryn shouts as we desperately tries to light a fire by whacking two rocks together.

"Allow me Raryn," Syriantus says as she says a spell for fire and lights the pile of wood.

"Don't you think a fire is a bad idea?" Mahiko asks Raryn.

"Nonsense. With this no one will think of bothering us."
 
"Well, either way, beating the two rocks together was pointless, or have you forgotten, I can control fire..." Mahiko says with a smirk on his face.
 
"Don't make me take that smirk off your face with these stones Mahiko," Raryn says angrily. "Well anyway, anyone got any food stuffs, or shall I go and fetch some?"

"I have none," Syriantus says.

"You ate the last of mine earlier today," Mahiko states as well.

"So, I guess we have to go find some food then."

"We?" Mahiko asks, "No my friend, you are going to go get food for us."
 
Raryn looks shocked, and on the verge of a witty comeback, but gives up and heads off into the forest, "See you guys in a little bit"

"Bring us back something good, Raryn" Mahiko chuckles.

Raryn walks a ways into the forest and sits down on a fallen tree. He pulls out his guitar and strums some strings. The forest animals begin to flock around him to hear him play.
 
Mahiko looks at Syriantus, " I hope he picks out something nice and juicy!" Mahiko then sits down on the ground and starts playing with the fire.
 
 
Meanwhile, in a cave complex not so far away.

"Gonar hungers," a fat disgusting little goblin states.

"Marcus Hungers too," states another equally ugly goblin states as well. "Let us go search for food Gonar."

The two ugly goblins rally the rest of the tribe to search for food in the nearby forest.
 
 
"Where is Raryn, he should at least have brought something back by now. He's not THAT incompetent, and unskilled."

"You don't think he's been attacked, or worse, killed. Do you?" Syriantus says, her worrying increasing steadily.

"Raryn?" replies Mahiko in a comical way, "the only thing that could possibly stop him would be a giant tribe of goblins"

Just then, Mahiko hears something rustling in the underbrush behind them.

"Syriantus, don't make any sudden movements, but I believe there is something or someone moving amongst the underbrush, right behind us" says Mahiko in a whisper.
 
 
"Ug, stupid underbrush," Raryn states as he wanders around the forest. "Maybe I should have charmed one of those animals to take me back to the camp."

Meanwhile;

"Mahiko, what do you think it is?" Syriantus asks.

"I'm not quite sure," he replies. "Just wait here a moment and I shall see." Mahiko wanders off into the underbrush. A moment later he returns. "Well, it must have been an animal or something."

At that a tribe of goblins rushes out from behind them.
 
"Oh no!" Mahiko gasped as he turned around and saw the goblins. He quickly unsheathed his katana just in time to block an attack by one of the quicker goblins. He then deflected another attack by the same goblin, and countered with his on swift slash; caught off guard thanks to Mahiko's deflect the goblin had been defenseless to Mahiko's blade and was left headless. However, by this time the remaining four goblins had surrounded Mahiko seemingly not to notice Syriantus yet.
 
Syriantus quickly summoned up her favorite group attack spell. " Spirits of the wind, come to my aid and vanquish these foes. Shelryotuh." Just then four great winds came upon the goblins and lifted them up off of the ground.

Syriantus moved her hand quickly off to the side and the goblins were slammed against one of the larger, thicker trees. The goblins fell to the ground lifeless.
 
"Well that about does it for the goblins I think," Mahiko states as he surveys the damage caused by Syriantus's spell. "Remind me never to get on your bad side."

"Don't mention it," Syriantus replies. "Though I wonder where Raryn is?"

"Yeah, he's never around when there is trouble like this."

And through this entire exchange, the goblins Gonar and Marcus are waiting to strike. "Food!" they both shout as they jump at Mahiko and Syriantus."

Klonk(2x)

"Why is it that every time I wonder away from you Mahiko, you seem to get in some sort of trouble that I have to deal with," Raryn says as he stands over the two fallen goblins holding a broken guitar.
 
"Hmm? Where did those two come from?" replies Mahiko "And where have you been Raryn? You took far too long to find some food."
Mahiko looks at Raryn's guitar. "Give that to me..." Indicating the guitar.

Raryn hands the broken guitar to Mahiko, and Mahiko begins carving some wood from a near by log with his pocket knife.
 
"Here is your new guitar, again," says Mahiko as he hands the freshly made guitar to Raryn.

"Thanks," he replies, "but it isn't strung."

"It is your job to do that, remember."

"Oh yeah," Raryn replies as he sets out to restring his instrument.

"So what were you doing all the time you were gone Raryn?" asks Syriantus.
 
"Yeah, really! What were you doing?! Taking a nap? Or perhaps you are up to something that you shouldn't be and your hiding it from us!?!" Inquires Mahiko
 
"What do you take me for!" shouts Raryn. "Some kind of crazy person that would live in a forest!"

"Well you seem right at home whenever we are in one," says Mahiko.

"That's beyond the point!"
 
As this exchange of words and accusations was flying around, the two unconscious goblins, Gonar and Marcus, are finally coming to their senses.

"Food!" they both shout in unison as they jump to their feet.

Klonk(too many times to count)
 
 
Mahiko slowly awaking, just by glimpsing at the sky he is able to tell that many hours have passed. The goblins are sitting by a fire, they look hungry.

"Raryn... Raryn, wake up" He whispers just barely enough that the goblins don't hear him, "Raryn! Wake up!" Raryn awakens as Mahiko nudges him.
 
"Awa?" Raryn replies, still only half-conscious. Mahiko gives him a couple good smacks to the head. "Ow, what was that for?"

"To get you awake."

"O," Raryn replies, taking a second to look around at their settings. "Hey, when did it get dark out? Why was I sleeping? And why am I tied to this rock?"
 
"We were knocked out by the goblins and I think they want to eat us!" Replies Mahiko, "What ever happened to Syriantus?"
 
"Oh her," Raryn says. "I can hear her across the clearing. She is saying that she is tied to a tree, has had her magic sealed because of some unfortunate accident involving a stick, and is about to be devoured by starved little goblins."
 
"Hmm, well, how do you suppose we get out of here to save her then?" Mahiko questions, "Have you by chance picked up any new skills that would be useful in this situation?"
 
"Um, did you forget or something," Raryn states blankly. "I can't do anything without my guitar, which has once again been broken because of goblin heads.......I hate their hard heads."

"So basically what you are saying is that you can't do anything," Mahiko sorts out.

"In a matter, yes."
 
Mahiko takes a deep sigh
"Very well..."
Through hard concentration he catches the ropes around his hands on fire.
"Ow ow ow!" he yells alerting the goblins to them.
 
"Make noise again, I kill you first," shouts Marcus. "Now quiet!"

"Well, I thought goblins were stupid," states Raryn. "But that was ridicules."

"Well I'm happy they are stupid," Mahiko says. "Because I'm free now."

"O good for you. Now free me."
 
"Alright, alright, don't get your panties in a knot..." Mahiko mumbles as he unties Raryn.

"Now what do you want to do, we can quickly escape and hope they don't notice us, or we can stay and fight."
 
"Well, I sort of have an obligation to fill here," says Raryn. "With Syriantus remember."

"Yes I remember," Mahiko replies. "But only you pledged to that."

"You truly do have selective memory don't you," Raryn states. "Remember what you said at The Wet Wineskin 'My services our also yours if you so desire.'"
 
"Well, that's besides the point because what I meant was to quietly escape from here to go save her or stay and fight then go save her" Mahiko restates more clearly.
 
"So that was what you meant.......well, you go do your thing and I shall do mine," Raryn says as he grabs a tree limb and rushes toward the goblins and Syriantus.

"For the love of God," Mahiko shouts. "Does he think at all!" He then rushes off to help his friend
 
 
"Uh Oh..." Mahiko says as he realizes that he just shouted and the goblins heard him...

"Damn it! I don't have time for you stupid goblins! Well feel honored, never before have I shown my true swordsman skills to the like of a being as pathetically weak as goblins!"

In a flash, a mere second, both goblins were on the ground....dead....beheaded...

"May your souls find their way to Hell peacefully..." Mahiko says in a prayer like fashion.
 
 
"Grr. When I get free from this tree, you will rue the day that you would use a stick like that against me." Syriantus, struggles against her restraints. She now starts kicking with her legs, and manages to successfully kick one of the goblins right in the nose, which sends him flying backwards.
 
 
"Hey Syriantus," Raryn says as he strolls up to her. "Did you just see that goblin go flying by? I didn't know goblins could do that?"

"I don't care," she says. "Just free me now."

"Oh sure, just give me a moment."

A moment passes.

"Mahiko help!" Raryn cries. "I seem to have gotten myself tied to this tree as well."
 
"I'm coming, I'm coming..." Mahiko arrives, "You know, I have half a mind to leave you tied to that tree Raryn, after leaving me there to deal with the goblins!" Regardless Mahiko Draws his sword once again and slashes away at the restraints until they are freed.
 
 
 
The Next Day!!!!

"Well I am glad that the fiasco that happened yesterday is over," Syriantus states out loud as the three traveling companions set out from their less-then-safe safe camping space.

"Yes, and I feel the need to sleep in an actual bed for once," says Mahiko.

"Well, as I said...uh.....I think it was two days ago," Raryn starts, "is that we are about ten miles down the road from the nearest town."
 
Mahiko unceremoniously falls to the ground. "WHAAAAT!!!" He yells, "Damn those goblins!!!"
 
"What, didn't you notice," Raryn states. "We went into the forest at night, then around dawn we were attacked by the goblins, then when we regained consciousness again, it was dark out. Namely saying, we spent the past two days in that forest."

"Did you know that Syriantus?" Mahiko asks.

"Yes," she replies. "I was still awake for quite some time after you two got knocked out. Stupid goblins; stupid stick."
 
"Quit your whining Mahiko. You're going to slow us down even more. It's only ten miles. This should be no problem to a guy like you, right?" asks Raryn, tauntingly.

The day progresses, slowly, but uneventful.
 
 
A Couple Hours Later.
"Whew! Finally here!" Mahiko exclaims as the entrance becomes visible. "So what is the first thing on our agenda now that we are here?"
 
"Well, I think it would be to find a way to get some money," Raryn states bluntly.

"What!" Mahiko shouts. "We still had a lot from the last town!"

"Well, I think those goblins robbed us," Raryn states.

"Great, broke once again," Mahiko says. "And Raryn, it is all your fault!"
 
"What?! How is it my fault? Bah, either way we need to figure out ways to get money" responds Raryn.
Just then Raryn notices a billboard with a giant sign that says ODD JOBS.
 
"Odd Jobs eh?" Mahiko announces. "It sounds like an easy way to get money, what do you guys think?"
 
"Sounds good to me. We may even be able to learn about the whereabouts of the Red Death Faction" replies Raryn. "What do you think Syriantus?"
 
"Well, I think it is a good idea," she replies. "But what I think is even more important, where exactly are we?"

"Well the sign at the entrance to the town said..." starts Raryn, "eh, did they even have a sign there?"

"No they did not," replies Mahiko.

"So where are we?"
 
"I'm not sure I want to know..." says Mahiko, "I'm getting a bad feeling from this place, I think we should leave." He's now getting a bad case of the shivers. "I... I think we're in over our heads here! Raryn! It's HIM! We have to get out of here before he realizes we're here!"
 
"Mahiko," Raryn starts. "I think you are just over-reacting."

"Who are you talking about," Syriantus asks.

"I mean, we did sort of leave him for dead a good while back, remember."

"Are you listening to me Raryn," Syriantus says again.

"We left him in a hole filled with trolls, goblins, some zombies, maybe a vampire or two, and that evil talking tomato."

"Listen when I talk!" Syriantus says as she hits Raryn with a spell and sends him flying into a nearby stone wall.
 
"Nice spell," Raryn says as he pulls himself form the rubble
 
"SYRIANTUS! This isn't the time!" Mahiko shouts in a parental scolding manner, "Raryn, haven't you heard? He's become one of the strongest forces in the world since then, His strength is above even that of the Red Death Faction! We have to leave NOW!"
 
"What?" Raryn says quizzingly. "When did this happen, and why didn't I know about this?"
 
"Well, after you abandoned him, he made it his goal to become the strongest, which he has pretty much achieved! Now let's go!" Mahiko says as fast as he can already walking back to the exit. "The only thing I can't figure out is why he's in a place like this..."
 
"Well I don't feel anything bad here," Raryn replies.

"Neither do I," states Syriantus.

"That is because neither of you can feel others energy," retorts Mahiko.

"Your power has not been very reliable as of yet."

"Yeah, I agree with Syriantus on this," Raryn says. "You're probably just blowing this out of proportion.

"No I'm not," Mahiko shouts. "There is something here."

As he says this, the surrounding buildings erupt in violent flames and dozens of people clothed in blood red start appearing out of the flames.
 
"Told you." nags Mahiko

"Yes, you were right. But now isn't the time for this Mahiko. We're in some deep stuff here." responds Raryn

"These are RDF(red death faction) men. I'm going to kill them all for what they did to me." Syriantus starts getting riled up, getting ready to whip out her most powerful arsenal of spells.
 
Hurricane strength winds start billowing around her. The flames grow larger.

"Um, Syriantus," Raryn says nervously. "Are you sure you know what you are doing?"

"Of course I do!" she shouts as the swirling winds start to absorb the flames. "On second thought, I don't!"

The winds create giant spinning vortexes of fiery doom.
 
"Then allow me!" shouts Mahiko, "Turbulent flames, Wall of Fiery Death!"

The flames billowing around Syriantus cease and unfold from around her creating a huge wall of blazing fire blocking the path of the enemy.

"That won't keep them occupied for long! Now that we've been noticed I would suggest getting the hell out a here!"
 
"Uh, Mahiko," Raryn says nervously.

"What is it now," he replies.

"We're surrounded."
 
"Ah, shit..." Mahiko says as he draws his sword, "I think its your turn to do something Raryn."
 
"Ok, one moment while I tune my guitar," Raryn says as he reaches for it. "Wait a minute, where is it!"

"Raryn, you lost it back in the forest remember," Syriantus says nervously.

"Oh, that's just great. Now it looks like I have to start being serious." he says as he draws the sword at his side.

"I feel sorry for the enemy," Mahiko says.

"Why?" Syriantus asks.
"I would have to say that in skill he slightly surpasses me, however, I am much more stylish, and graceful. People enjoy watching me fight more than him, but as I said he is probably better than I am." Mahiko continued to say to Syriantus.
 
"I see. Well, it seems my wind magic won't be of any good in this fight. If you can hold them off for a moment or two, I can grab my water-staff. Though I hate to admit it, my water magic skills are not the greatest, but hopefully the elemental advantage will be enough of a boost," Syriantus tells Mahiko and Raryn. Syriantus begins searching through her bags to find her water staff, Neptunaquara.
 
"Well hurry with that Syriantus," Raryn says. "Because we're surrounded again."

He takes a moment or two to assess the situation, then charges directly into the waiting forces of the RDF with the speed of a striking falcon. Before the RDF can counter five are already dead.

"I told you he was better then I was," Mahiko says to Syriantus. "Have you found your staff yet?"

"Not yet Mahiko," Syriantus replies. "I shouldn't have kept all this stuff from my years on the run.......wait a minute, why don't you go to help Raryn?"
 
"Very well." Mahiko sighs takes his sword, Daikonran, and charges into battle with Raryn. "I'll watch your back if you watch mine!" Mahiko says playfully to Raryn.
 
"Ok Mahiko," Raryn replies. "You take that side, and I'll take this one." Raryn points to the side with the least amount of enemies for Mahiko.

"That was an insult. I'm sure of it," Mahiko says as he parries a strike from one of the RDF members.
 
 
"Hmmm, now where could the staff be. I remember putting it in this bag over here before I ran into those two," Syriantus looks through all the flaps and sections in here bag, finally finding it. "Aha! now I can get rid of some of these flames." Syriantus begins casting a wall of water to wipe out the flame walls. An RDF member comes and charges at Syriantus, but Syriantus manages to cast a short spell that blasted the henchman into the side of a building.
 
"Um... The fire wall was mine... it was blocking some of there men from getting to us..." Mahiko says as he slices up another soldier.
 
" I see. Well sorry about that. I'll see if I can remember that ice wall spell I learned years ago," Syriantus goes searching again for her water/ice spell book.
 
"Magic users," Mahiko says shaking his head. "Completely useless."

"Come on Mahiko," Raryn jabs at him from the other side of the battlefield. "Are you having trouble over there."

"I swear Raryn, if I wasn't in the middle of fighting of people carrying giant swords and giant maces, you would so be getting it for that remark."
 
"Yeah, I'm sure!" Raryn replies to Mahiko.
"Alright then, if your having such an easy time how about you take on a larger load!" Mahiko says right before he starts throwing 15 more guys over to Raryn. "Let's see how well you handle that!"
 
 
As the men Mahiko threw soar through the air, streaks of silver begin to rain down from the sky. Before any of the men hit the ground, they're all dead.

"Well, it looks like someone out there is helping us," Raryn says as a bolt of silver soars at him, narrowly missing him by inches. "On second thought, I take back that statement!"
 
"Well, whoever it is, they're pissing me off! Those men were supposed to be yours! HITA HA(Blade of Fire)!" As Mahiko says the last part he swings his sword throwing a blade of fire in the direction from which the silver streaks came from. "Who's there!?"
 
"Aha. I found the spell" replies Syriantus, ignoring Mahiko's remark for the time being. Syriantus begins casting the ice wall spell. After a few seconds, a wall of ice nearly 3 feet thick surrounds the 3 warriors, shielding them from the majority of the attackers.
 
"Well, if anything, that should keep those arrows at bay," Raryn says as the raining silvery death continues to desecrate the RDF members. "Though I still wish to know who that is firing?"

"No time for questioning now," Mahiko says as he gazes through the crystal clear ice. "Look what is emerging from the fires."
 
"So once again I'll say this... Perhaps we should GET OUT A HERE!" Mahiko says as he fights off yet another soldier.
 
"Mahiko," Syriantus says. "You do know that you are attacking a reflection of an RDF member right."

"What," Mahiko states as he looks where he was just attacking. All that was there was a whole lot of chipped ice.

"Did anyone here me," Raryn says impatiently. "I said that something is emerging from the flames. And as if to emulate the point, the flames rose to even greater heights, as if someone was controlling them. The heat from the blaze immediately melted Syriantus's ice wall.
 
 
Syriantus looks over to the flames, and sees that they have risen to unnatural heights. "I see what you mean, Raryn, to be able to create such fire, must be quite high in the RDF ranks. I believe it might be wise to flee while we have this opportunity."
 
"Oh, sure now you want to flee!" Mahiko says starting to get pissed at the lack of listening. "Hey Raryn, you'll like this new trick of mine! Nibai Haya-sa(Double Speed)!" With twice the speed he had before he starts fending off several more RDF members. "You two go! I'll hold them off for four minutes and catch up in two minutes! This new enhancement of mine only lasts for about 5 minutes at this level!"
 
"All right." replies Syriantus. "Be safe" Syriantus and Raryn run in the opposite direction, knocking down the few enemies that attack them.
 
"But before they can get too far, another giant wall of fire erupts in front of them," Raryn says in a narrative voice.

"What are you talking about Raryn?" Syriantus asks as they run for cover.

"Oh, I'm just reading ahead."

"Reading ahead? What do you mean?" Syriantus asks as Raryn grabs the back of her clothing throwing her back as a giant wall of fire erupts in front of them.
 
 
"Damn it! you know what really pisses me off, we've been though so much in the past two days, I don't even remember exactly why we are doing this!" Mahiko says, as he gets fed up with fighting these guys. "THAT'S IT! ENOUGH OF THIS! WHO EVER THE HELL YOU ARE COME DOWN HERE NOW!!!" Mahiko starts uncontrollably erupting flames from his body.
 
Yet the figure that replied to his shouting was not exactly what he expected. His flames suddenly went out and turned to charge toward him. And out from the flames emerged a darkened silhouette of a giant warrior. Breaking twenty feet easily and carrying a flamberg of an equally ginormous size.
 
Syriantus hears and feels the ground shake as the giant lands on the ground. She looks back and stares wide-eyed. She takes notice of the gigantic flamberg. "Grr. He must be one high up in the RDF. He will suffer for what the RDF has put me through" Syriantus begins to run back to Mahiko, but Raryn stops her before she gets too close.
 
"Raryn! Leave, Hauptnorden zum Meister(Head North to the Master)! You know where to find him!" Mahiko yells as The giant walks towards Mahiko and picks him up. "Don't worry, I'll catch up later!" Mahiko smiles at Raryn and Syriantus as the wall of fire rises up again blocking Mahiko from their view.
 
 
"What did Mahiko say? Where are we headed?" Syriantus asks, as Raryn starts sprinting off to the north.
"Don't worry about it, just follow me" Raryn replies as he fends off the few cult members that have chased after them
 
Yet, as it seems that Raryn has cleared a path ahead, more members of the RDF arrive and surround them.

"I don't know how many times this makes it in less then two days that we've been surrounded," Raryn states.

"Raryn," Syriantus says in a startled voice, "I don't think this is the time or place to be thinking that."

"You're probably right, well anyway, I'll clear a path for you."

"For what," Syriantus asks.

"Head north, there you will find someone who will help you with killing the god of war. As for me, I'll stay here to take care of these blockheads and go see if Mahiko is still alive."

"But," Syriantus starts.

"No buts, go now while I can still hold them off!"

Raryn slashes a clear-cut path through a dozen or so RDF members. Syriantus takes her cue to charge straight off into the coming darkness of the night. "I wish you both the strength and endurance to survive," she says as Raryn slowly fades from view.