Pet Shop Of Horrors Fan Fiction ❯ Ame ❯ Ame ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Ame

By Night Imp

 

Disclaimer: I do not own Petshop of Horrors, Matsuri Akino does. It goes without saying that I do not own Count D, either. Maybe, someday, if I get a million dollars, I'll buy it from her. ^_^

This is written from Count D's perspective. I know it's really short, but I wrote it as a request, and then decided that I might as well post it.

If you hate it, please don't let me know. Leave me to my blissful ignorance.

--------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------

 

Orcot had decided to take refuge in my shop from the downpour outside, until it lightened and he could walk back to the precinct. Rain was such an unusual occurrence in Los Angeles; it had caught both of us by surprise. And for me, it brought back painful memories.

As usual, Orcot was droning on about how he was sure the shop was somehow connected to these murders, but I wasn't listening. My entire being was focused on preparing the tea tray. Because of the rain, I was afraid of letting my mind wander.

 

"Ain't this the pits?"

 

I turned and smiled slightly at Orcot. For once he chose to change the topic of conversation, though I was not sure I liked where this was going. I knew he was going to start talking about the rain, but I clung to the hope that perhaps he was referring to something else (like fact that we were stuck together in the same room for an indefinite period of time, for instance). So I asked him, "To what are you referring, Officer?"

 

"The rain. It never rains in Los Angeles."

 

"Never say never." I said quietly.

 

Orcot snorted in response. "Yeah, whatever. I hate the rain."

 

"As do I, Officer." I set the teapot down and bowed my head. "My wife died when it was raining."

As soon as I said it I regretted it. Orcot was the last person who needed to know this. By his silence I could tell he was shocked. I gathered up the tea tray and walked across the room, setting it down on the table in front of him, and bracing myself for the questioning that I was sure was soon to come.

 

Orcot cleared his throat. "Y-you…you were married!?"

 

I nodded as I picked up my teacup.

 

"To a woman?"

 

"No Officer, to a porcupine. Of course to a woman!"

 

He cleared his throat again and we sipped our tea in an awkward silence for several minutes. I tried to push the memories away, but they always kept coming back. No matter how hard I tried. The sound of the rain certainly did not help any.

 

"What was her name?" He asked, finally breaking the silence.

 

"Ame. It meant Rain, coincidentally. She was the daughter of a Japanese noble."

 

"Did you guys have kids?"

 

"No, no children." Though we had tried. Orcot didn't need to know that.

 

"How did she die?"

 

"If you don't mind, Officer, I'd rather not talk about this."

 

"Sorry."

 

For the first time, Orcot respected my wishes. He left quickly after the end of the conversation, even though it was still raining. He never looked at me quite the same after that day. He also never again stopped for refuge in my shop while it was raining.