Pet Shop Of Horrors Fan Fiction ❯ Destiny of Angels ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author: Caelestis
E-mail: kaku_o_sankou@yahoo.com
Title:
Rating: R
Disclaimer: I don't own them, but their fate in this fanfic belongs to me! YEAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! *laughs manically*

******************************************************* **

  In the heart of Los Angeles' Chinatown there is a mysterious, luxurious pet shop where exotic animals can be bought. It is said that there is no creature on earth that can't be found and purchased among this store's menagerie. Of course, every rumor has a bit of truth, this one a little more than most.
 
  A young woman pulled her car up in front of the odd looking little shop, surveying the place with a little distain.
 
  "I don't see why he couldn't have picked it up himself. It's not like he busy or anything." She grumbled. "He could at least have come with me."
 
  She jerked the door to the car open and climbed out, wrapping her coat further around her as the brisk wind snapped at it. A few steps carried her to the entrance on the shop and she descended into its depths.
 
  It was dimly lit hall she found herself in, and she continued down a flight of stairs leading to a well-furnished room. She looked around her with surprise. This was certainly not what she expected. An oddly dressed woman stood in the center of the room; a small, odd rabbit perched on her shoulder. She took a step towards her and bowed slightly.
 
 

  "I bid you welcome. We have everything you may desire, from dogs and cats to birds and insects. We even have quite a large selection of exotic reptiles. Now how can I be of service?" Count D said softly. The woman standing across from him was slender, a shock of blond, wavy hair falling gently into her tanned face as she stood in the opulent room.
A look of surprise crossed her face as she discovered he was a man, but to her credit, she did not show any other discomfort.

  "I'm here for whatever my husband ordered. The name is Whitman."


  D smiled. "Ah... yes. If you will please follow me?" He turned and walked into the back, the woman trailing uncertainly behind him.


  "Are you sure that this is necessary?" She spoke as softly as D, casting wary glances around her at the lush tapestries adorning the walls. A low growl sounded in the distance and she sped up with a small gasp.


  "It's perfectly fine. We're almost there."


  The room D finally led them to was not decorated as the rest of the shop. With further reminiscing, it could have appeared to be a normal pet shop, save for the heavy lingering of the incense perfuming the air.


  "If you would wait here." The Count gestured, indicating the spot were she stood. He turned and walked off among the cages, many filled with cats or other common creatures. The woman was obviously nervous. She clutched her coat to herself, shifting her legs slightly to rub against one another.


  "Here we are." D remarked as he returned with a small kitten in his arms.


  The woman's eyes were immediately drawn to the small feline. The kitten mewled and yawned adorably, snuggling further into the warmth of D's arms as it batted at the red ribbon around it's neck.


  "I think you'll find her to be exactly what you wanted." He deposited the little bundle in the lady's arms. She immediately began fawning over her.
 
  "How cute!"
 
  "I'm glad you think so. It's for you. Your husband has already sent the payment for your pet and also said to tell you 'Happy Birthday'."
 
  "He remembered!" The woman beamed. "I didn't think he would."
 
  "Do take care Mrs. Whitman. Wish your husband luck for me in the upcoming election." The Count smiled fondly at them as they left before moving to fix some tea. It was just about time for the detective to drop by.
 
 
 
  "What? You sold him a pet?" Leon shouted, pointing an accusing finger at the calm Count.
 
  "A kitten. It was for his wife's birthday. Is this a problem?" He took a sip of his tea as Q-chan flew to his shoulder, giving the detective the evil eye while nibbling on portion of the sweet Leon had brought.
 
  "What do you think? He was just discovered missing!"
 
  "Missing?" D blinked in confusion, the teacup halted halfway to his mouth. "How?"
 
  "That's just it! No one knows." Leo flopped down on the couch opposite D with a sigh. "And I got assigned the case. Well did you?"
 
  "Did I what?"
 
  "Have anything to do with this? What was the kitten really? A Leprechaun?"
 
  D pouted. "You know me better than that, Detective."
 
  "So what was it?" Leon answered after a minute's silence and with a slight blush.
 
  "A kitten. Nothing more or less."
 
  Leon's eyes crossed as he took in the information. "Then why is the future governor missing? I know you have something to do with it!"
 
  "You shouldn't jump to conclusions, Detective. I only sold him the kitten yesterday and his wife came to pick it up herself today. If you want to see the kitten, just ask Mrs. Whitman. The little one hasn't been returned." D put his cup down on the table next to the éclairs Leon had brought him.
 
  "Fine. Well, if you here anything let me know. I've gotta head out and check out the crime scene and what leads I have. Be seeing you, Count." He turned to the door.
 
  "Detective... wait."
 
  He turned, looking over his shoulder at the speaker. "Yeah?"
 
  D stood up and Q-chan flapped off of it. "Let me come with you. I may be of some assistance."
 
  "Nuh uh, no way." He scowled. "You know how much trouble that will get me in?"
 
  In full pout face D walked over to Leon. "I need to check on Keiko-chan anyway and deliver the weekly bag of cat food that Mr. Whitman ordered; I forgot to give it to his wife earlier. It's really just the means of getting there that will make it any different."
 
  He continued to walk past Leon, Q-chan flying around his head. Leo threw up his hands and sighed moving to walk beside D. "You sure are stubborn."
 
  Leon pulled the car to a halt as they reached a small club. There was yellow police tape surrounding the established building as D and Leon climbed out of the car and stood before it, Leon assessing what he would be doing.
 
  "Well, Count, just stay in the car, I need to take a quick look around the crime scene. The owner says he saw him at five forty-six last night; that was the last reported sighting before he went into the men's room."
 
  "The men's room?"
 
  Leon made a tsking sound. "Well, that's what the witnesses say. He was at dinner with his wife, he left to go to the bathroom, and the owner saw him and he vanished. This is just a side stop, Whitman's house in next."
 
  D nodded and stepped past the tape.
 
  "Hey! I thought I told you to stay in the car!" Leon grumbled, trailing in his wake and glaring at the police standing around the scene who happened to cast any suspicious glances his way. The interior was spacious, a rich burgundy carpet covering the floor. Several expensive tables and chairs where stacked against the wall and covered with a white cloth, others dotting the center of the room. There was also a long mahogany wood bar that stretched along the right wall along with stools in front of it. In the back there were two doors, one that led to the kitchen and the other that led to the restrooms. All said, one meal here would have cost Leon his entire paycheck... three months straight.
 
  Several other men from the police station were looking around the restaurant and taking notes and evidence. The two passed them by as they went strait to the back, receiving several odd stares as they did so.
 
  The bathroom was well lit as well, several fancy light fixtures on the ceiling providing the illumination.
 
  "So... what do you think, D?" Leon finally asked as he looked around and thought out loud. "There doesn't seem to be any exit other than the one we came in by, so how could he have left? Maybe he changed into a disguise..."
 
  "I would doubt that, Detective." D called from a stall. "Look here."
 
  "Yeah, yeah, I'm coming." Leon sighed as he trudged to D's side. His eyes widened as he saw what D was pointing to. There was a fist indentation in the metal wall of the stall.
 
  "H- how could this be possible?" Leon shook his head, ruffling his already tousled hair nervously.
 
  "Anything this powerful is possibly very dangerous. I suspect that Mr. Whitman was carried off against his will."
 
  "But why didn't anyone see him then?" Leon growled. "I hate cases I can't explain!"
 
  D sighed before resuming the search for clues that would help his detective out. "Detective.... over here."
 
  "Damn. Again? You're better at this than me." Leon went over to inspect the cracked plaster around the air vent D had pointed out to him. "I think we can safely say they used this to smuggle him out. But why?"
 
  The Count smiled. "I'm sure you'll figure it out soon."
 
  "Yeah, well, I'm going to report the evidence, why don't you go wait in the car?" Leon called over his shoulder.
 
  D nodded, giving the room a wary glance before leaving. Something was definitely up. He smirked slightly at the uncomfortable detective as he made his way to the car. It was funny how the Detective dealt with his feelings. So like a human.
 
  Leon emerged from the building a short while later, engrossed in a heated argument with the Chief who had previously arrived at the scene.
 
  "I'm telling you, Chief, there's something really screwy about this case and I'm gonna find out what!"
 
  "Yeah, yeah, sure Leon. Let me guess, the pet shop owner, right? Well forget it! He's barely connected and had no contact whatsoever with the man!"
 
  "Yeah, well, this may come as a surprise, but D's-"
 
  "Whatever, I expect the paperwork to be at my desk by Monday."
 
  With a growl, Leon stomped off and flopped into the car beside D. "That asshole!"
 
  "What is it Detective?"
 
  A growl was all he received in response. Leon started the car and drove out into the traffic, jerking the wheel in his frustration.
 
  "You do realize, sometimes it helps to talk about what's bothering you." D said, annoyed.
 
  "It's nothing."
 
  "Fine." D snapped.
 
  After driving for several minutes in silence they reached the estate of the Whitman's. D retrieved the bag of cat-food and stomped off angrily to the door. Leon followed in as equally a bad mood. D rang the doorbell as he composed himself. Why did he let the Detective get under his skin so? Chimes sounded within the house, bringing the young woman who had entered his shop to the door.
 
  "Hello Mrs. Whitman. How is your Keiko-chan doing?" He favored her with a soft smile.
 
  Her face was tear stained and she sniffled as she brought a handkerchief to her nose. "Keiko is fine. Have you heard about my husband?"
 
  "Yes, the Detective who was kind enough to drive me here told me about you situation. Allow me to extend my condolences. I had not heard about this when you entered my store." He bowed slightly.
 
  "I'm worried. Have you heard anything new?" She looked towards Leon expectantly.
 
  "I'm sorry, lady, but all we know if that he didn't leave willingly." He thrust his hands into his jeans. "Do you know of anyone who wanted to hurt your husband? Any deals he was involved in?"
 
  She shook her head. "I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I honestly don't know!"
 
  Leon took out a small rumpled pad of paper and a pen from a pocket and proceeded to ask her details about the previous night, taking notes of anything of interest. After he finished he thanked her for her time and D left the cat food with her and some instructions for her pet.
 
  The silence rode heavy in the car as they drove back to the pet shop, neither wanting to talk to the other over the previous hostility. Finally they arrived at their destination. Sitting quietly in the car, neither wanted to breach the awkward silence, until finally D cleared his throat.
 
  "I thank you for the ride, Detective. Would you like some more tea?"
 
  "No thanks, I've had my fill for today. I'll... be seeing you, Count."
 
  D nodded slightly and made his way back into the pet shop were Q-chan rejoined him. The Detective was always strange, but he seemed a little edgy today. Perhaps it was because of the case he was working on. After all, supernatural investigations shouldn't be left to the humans. It was work for a Kami. D smiled. Perhaps he could help the Detective after all.
 
 
 
TBC….