Pet Shop Of Horrors Fan Fiction ❯ Destiny ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Leon lay in his hotel room.  He wasn't a detective for nothing, and right now the clues he'd gathered told him that he was at least one country behind D.  He'd been tailing the Count across the globe for 20 years now.  D had had about a month's head start, since Leon had been in the hospital after the whole incident with D's family.  Plus, Leon had had no clue as to where D had run off to, which had made his search extra hard.  But Leon had been chasing D across Europe, across the world, for 20 years.  Always a step behind, always a day too late.  Leon sighed.  He was getting tired of chasing D.  He didn't even know why he was chasing D across the world, he just knew that something was driving him to pursue the Count.  This was starting to get old.  Leon was starting to get old. He was 46 now, which may not seem that old, but when you've been globe-hopping for 20 years it seems like a long time.  As of last week, Leon's search had led him to London.  Finally, a primarily English-speaking country.  But D was nowhere to be found, so tomorrow Leon would be on the move again, traveling through the Chunnel to France, where Leon's sources told him D had been seen.
 
The dawn is breaking
A light shining through
 
D sighed.  He was tired of running, but as long as Leon pursued him, D would have to continue running.  It was just the way things were.  D's duty wouldn't allow him to be involved with a human at all.  He shouldn't have even let Leon remain as long as he had.  But the detective, and later the detective's little brother, had grown on D.  They'd shown him something that he'd never seen before.  The brothers Orcot, D realized, had shown him the good side of humanity, the side never acknowledged by D's race, and that's why he had allowed them to stay as long as they had.  Nearly two years, D marveled.  That was the longest amount of time he'd ever stayed in one place.  But even he was tiring of this chase, this globe-trotting.  Really.  Why did Detective Orcot insist on chasing him here there and yonder across the world constantly for 20 years?  Wasn't that a bit extreme, even for the foolhardy, stubborn detective?  D sighed.  France had never been his favorite, and he was eager to leave the country as soon as possible.  Perhaps for a change in pace he'd next go to Ireland?  Wales was absolutely lovely this time of year, as well.
 
You're barely waking
And I'm tangled up in you
Yeah
 
Leon woke up the next morning to a headache.  He groaned, willing himself to roll out of bed.  Another day's pursuit, another country.  His hotel phone rang.  He picked it up.
“Hello?” He asked groggily.
“The raven is on the move, and he's headed your way.” An adult male's voice said cryptically, almost a whisper.  The phone went dead, but with that sentence, Leon knew exactly what it meant.  D was coming to one of the three countries in this area, England, Ireland, or Wales.  Leon figured that D knew he was here.  He'd probably go to Ireland, and Leon wasn't going to sit by and wait until he found out for sure.  He'd head D off at the pass, and he'd catch him this time.  But Leon had to time this perfectly, so that D didn't find out Leon was there until he'd had time to catch him.  Leon pulled on his raincoat, and left the hotel room to check out.  D and his ship could go anywhere anytime, but Leon was slowed down by airports and customs.  He'd have to get moving as fast as possible.
 
I'm open, you're closed
Where I follow, you'll go
 
D stood on the bow of the great ship of dreams.  His attire was humble, black, flowing dress pants fell to his feet, and a jacket covered his torso, its long sleeves going down to his hands.  Underneath the jacket was a white silk shirt.  His traditional traveling wear, D thought idly.  Or at least it had become such since he had attempted to flee from Los Angeles so many years ago.  D looked back with mild contempt upon the “incident” with his family.  Twenty years did nothing to quell the pain in the immortal's heart over the death of his father, at Leon's hands no less.  And yet, D could find no cause to blame Leon for his father's death.  Like all animals, the brusque detective was merely acting in a way familiar to his species, D reasoned.  Not to mention the fact that D's father had purposefully allowed himself to be killed in order to reveal to D the evils still of humankind.  A desperate last attempt, D thought dryly.  He still held more than a bit of contempt toward his chichiue, but his father's death had achieved its purpose, nonetheless.
 
I worry I won't see your face
Light up again
 
Leon was headed to Ireland as fast as he could get there.  Some might call his 20 year chase insane and obsessive, but that didn't matter to Leon.  All that mattered was finally catching D.  In the knapsack on Leon's back was a framed picture, obviously folded and mussed, a childish drawing from years gone by.  Sitting idly on the ferry to Ireland, Leon took out the picture and stared at it.  It had been drawn by his little brother, Chris, 20 years before.  Chris was now 28, but Leon hadn't seen him since he had started this wild goose chase.  Why couldn't Leon just face the fact that he probably would never catch D, and just go home?  Why?  Because this was more than a chase, it was a quest.  When D's suitcase had been recovered, the only thing inside it had been the picture that Leon now held in his hands.  Anticlimactic, and yet it proved to Leon that D still held hope for the human race.  If for no other reason, Leon was pursuing D to return the picture.  The Count would probably never see Chris again.  It was the least Leon could do.
 
Even the best fall down sometimes
Even the wrong words seem to rhyme
Out of the doubt that fills my mind
 
D was broken out of his reverie by a voice behind him.
“Father.” A voice behind him called.  D whirled around, surprised, multi-colored eyes wide.  The 20-year-old young Kami in front of him stood, head bowed, his ebony hair slicked back and cut short.  An appalling style, D thought idly.
“My son.” D greeted courteously.  They didn't look like father and son so much as brothers.  D still had the youthful appearance of a 20-year-old himself.
“Great-grandfather says that it is my turn to take care of the pet shop.” The youngest D said.
“Ah, very well then.” D smiled at his “son.” “If you could, the ship's course has been plotted for Ireland.  Before you move on, would you be so kind as to leave me in Ireland?”
“Certainly, Chichiue.” The young Kami said, walking to the bow of the ship to stand with his “father.”
 
I somehow find
You and I collide
 
Leon reached Ireland, stepping off at the harbor.  If he didn't catch D here, he would give up and go back to the United States.  This globe-trotting was taking a toll on Leon's body, and the 46-year-old wasn't near as strong as he had been 20 years ago.  Leon was near Dublin, and a few blocks away in the distance, he saw an amazing sight.  In midair, was the ship of dreams.  Leon knew it was the same ship he'd been on 20 years ago.  You don't get shoved off of a ship without being able to recognize it.  He could still remember it as vividly as when it had just happened.  The few people he'd told thought he was insane, that it was a dream brought on by his injuries and unconscious state.  But Leon knew it wasn't.  Leon knew the truth: D had saved him from the building, and D had taken him to the hospital.  From there, it might have been a dream, but at the same time, Leon knew that it actually happened.  He had arrived just in time to see D disembark!  The middle-aged detective took off running toward the ship, only to stop and see it disappear.  Had D known he was here and just turned around and left?  What the hell?
 
I'm quiet you know
You make a first impression
I've found I'm scared to know I'm always on your mind
 
D stepped from the large ark, bidding a formal farewell to his “son.” Standing in the streets of Dublin, Ireland, D looked around.  Now to find that foolhardy detective, D sighed as he watched the ship of dreams vanish.  His son was headed for the United States, the East Coast.  D wondered how dear little Christopher Orcot was doing.  Then D remembered, with a pang of sadness, that Christopher was 28 now, and no longer the little boy he had been when he had resided with the Count.  However, in D's mind, Christopher would always be 8 years old.  D sighed sadly as he began walking.  Those two years in Los Angeles had been a turning point in D's life.  They had helped him see the good side of humanity.  When D had first met Detective Leon Orcot, he remembered fondly, the Kami had had no idea he was going to spend the next two years of his immortal existence in that smog-filled, traffic-congested human city.  But alas, all good things must come to an end.  When Christopher had moved back East to live with his aunt and uncle, D had realized it was time to leave.  And he would have left much sooner than he had, had it not been for the unfortunate encounter with his father and Agent Howell.
 
Even the best fall down sometimes
Even the stars refuse to shine
Out of the back you fall in time
 
Leon sighed.  His last chance gone.  Oh well, he might as well stay in Ireland for a while before going back to the United States.  He smiled fondly at the thought of seeing his family again, but his expression soured as he remembered that he had failed on his mission to return the drawing to D.  Leon went off to find a hotel to stay at while he was here, dejected.  It wasn't the first time in his life that he'd failed, he thought dryly, but then why did it hurt so bad?  The ship was gone, D was gone, and it was as simple as that.  Leon had wasted 20 years of his life to get this one chance, and he blew it.  He'd never get another chance, he knew.  He'd never be able to return the drawing to D.  Oh well, he sighed.  It was only 20 years of his life, after all.  There were what, 40 more ahead of him?  No more globe-trotting for Leon.  He had officially given up on catching up to the Count.
 
I somehow find
You and I collide
 
D looked around him, and gasped in delight when he saw the confectionary boutique.  Irish sweets were so delicious.  His quest to find Detective Orcot was momentarily put on hold by the allure of the sugary treats.  Yes, the one weakness of a Kami.  Rich, decadent sweets.  Oh well, D thought as he entered the store.  After purchasing a few different varieties of sweets and bidding a fond thank you to the store owner, the Chinese nature kami proceeded to glide through the streets of Dublin, seeking out his detective.  Oh my, when had Detective Orcot come to belong to D?  Such a petty, human thought, D sighed.  It wouldn't do for the composed nature demigod to stake a claim on the stubborn blond, however endearing the brusque detective was.  This same detective who had pursued D around the world at least twice for 20 years, D mused, his naturally dark lips closing around a decadent chocolate.  D's eyes closed, his lips curved into a smile, as he thoroughly enjoyed the taste of the chocolate.  Ah yes, Irish sweets were some of the best D had ever tasted.
 
Don't stop here
I lost my place
I'm close behind
 
Leon lay on the bed in his new hotel room, the green walls glaring at him.  They were such a loud, obnoxious green that Leon felt intimidated.  Yes, intimidated by a paint color.  Leon rolled over and grabbed the phone, punching in the memorized calling card number.  He then punched in the number he was trying to be connected to and listened patiently as the phone rang.
“Hello, Orcot residence.” The young man's voice greeted.
“Chris?” Leon asked hopefully. “God, it's been a while, little bro.” A beat of silence on the other end of the line.
“Leon?  Is it really you?” The young man marveled. “Where are you?  It's been 10 years since you called last!  I missed you, big brother!” Child-like innocence returned to the tone, and Leon almost forgot Chris was 28 now.
“I'm in Ireland.  I called to tell you I was coming home.” Leon said, a sad smile coming to his face.
“Did you find the Count?  Did you give him what you wanted to give him?” Chris asked eagerly.
“No, I just missed him.  I'm tired of chasing him, Chris.  I'll check every damn Chinatown in the States, but I'm not leaving the country again.” Leon said.
“Oh.” Chris said. “Well, I can't wait to see you again, big bro!” He said.
“I can't wait to see how you've grown up, Chris.” Leon said wistfully. “In my mind, you're still my little eight-year-old brother.”
“Bro!  I'm 28 now!” Chris laughed.  Leon laughed.
“Yes, you are.  I'll see you in a week, alright?” Leon asked.
“Alright.  Can't wait to see you, big bro.” Chris said.
“I can't wait to see you either, Chris.” Leon said. “Bye.”
“Bye.” Chris said. The phone went dead in Leon's hand, and he lowered it to its stand.
 
Even the best fall down sometimes
Even the wrong words seem to rhyme
Out of the doubt that fills your mind
 
D sniffed haughtily.  Really.  How difficult could it be to find one man?  Very few people had seen Leon, among them a photographer.  Leon was apparently photogenic, since this was the second photographer who remembered seeing him.  From the photographer, D bought a picture of his detective.  My, the man had aged graciously, D thought as he gazed upon the photograph.  With the exception of a few hardly noticeable wrinkles and laugh lines, Leon looked exactly like he had the last time D had seen him, 20 years before.  But now, D was on the hunt for Leon, and when the hunted becomes the hunter, he rarely rests until he finds his prey.  D searched every slummy motel until he found the one where Leon had checked into.  Aha, D thought as the courteous red-haired young woman at the front desk called up to Leon's hotel room.  She set the phone down, and smiled.
“He said he would be right down.” She said in her lilting Irish accent.  D thanked her and sat down.
 
You finally find
You and I collide
 
Leon came down moments later, apparently having just jumped out of the shower.  His wet blond hair clung to his face and neck as he went to the front desk.  After a moment's conversation, the young woman at the front desk pointed over to where D sat.  Leon turned around as D stood.  The expression on the detective's face was almost comical, his light blue eyes widened.  A smile came to D's lips, full of haughtiness as he spoke.
“Why, hello, Detective.  It's been a long while.” D said. “Funny we should meet up here in Dublin.  I thought you would never leave the United States.” Leon merely stood there gaping.
“Do shut your mouth, Detective.  It's rather rude.” Leon shut his mouth.
“Are you not going to invite me up to your room?” D asked.  Leon blinked and nodded, gesturing to the elevator.  D smiled and stepped forward, taking Leon's arm in his own and leading the American to the stairs.
“I think not, Detective.  We must keep you in shape.” D said, ascending the stairs and leading Leon along.  Leon got over the shock, and led D the rest of the way.  Once they got to the room, Leon got the framed picture from his knapsack and presented it to D.
“Oh!  Why, Detective, you're so courteous.  Is this why you have been pursuing me all these years?  To return this drawing?”
“Yeah, I figured you'd want it back.” Leon said.
“Why thank you, Detective.” D said. “And now, if you'll excuse me, I must depart.” D said.
“W-wait!” Leon protested. “I'm not going to see you again, am I?  I'm flying back to the United States in a few days.” D smirked.
“You never know, do you Detective?  I certainly hope we'll see each other again.” D said, breezing effortlessly from the room, leaving a dumbfounded Leon standing there.
 
You finally find
You and I collide
 
Leon's plane went down in the middle of the ocean.  Not one of the 107 passengers survived.  When a grieving Chris checked the records of the passengers to see if Leon had been on board like he had said he would, there was no trace of him.  The blond had never been on board, or even bought a ticket, according to the records.
D, soon after his encounter with Leon, relocated to Thailand, a remote town miles away from Bangkok.  It was there he remained, and a few weeks after Leon's plane had gone down, it was there he acquired a new pet.  This pet was different, tame only towards D, and violent without D's calming influence.  D told everyone who inquired that though the species was native to Africa, the pet itself came from the United States.  It stood waist-high to D, its soft, thick, golden coat of rich golden fur divine to touch.  Its long, luxurious golden brown mane stood a proud reminder of the noble, brave, powerful creature's masculinity.  Yes, the pet was indeed a strong, large male lion with the iciest blue eyes...
 
You finally find
You and I collide