Pet Shop Of Horrors Fan Fiction ❯ Little Lion ❯ Bombay ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]






To anyone who has not seen or read Petshop of Horrors, all the pets have a humanoid shape as well as the animal shape most humans see. Supposedly, only the Count is able to see the 'true' form of the animal unless the animal wishes to be seen.




LITTLE LION




Chapter 4
Bombay





Count D-




D walked calmly down the well-lit hall of the bleach smelling hospital, though inside he was confused and very, very angry. 'How dare someone treat the child like that?!' He kept his mask like smile on as he made his way easily passed patients in wheelchairs, new parents marveling at babies through a glass window, and doctors and nurses scurrying about like industrious little ants. As a rule, D didn't like Hospitals. They smelled unnatural with the scent of bleach everywhere and the notion of cutting people apart and sewing them together again simply made his skin crawl. Still, he understood the need for them as humans were unable to heal themselves in less painful ways and the science that made the grotesque practice of surgery possible.

However, though he understood it, D still didn't like it and left the hospital as quickly as he could. The air outside wasn't much better than inside, 'To much unnatural elements clog the air in this city.' D thought distastefully. What he wouldn't give to go to one of the nearby forests for a breath of cleaner air. But, he had his work to do here and he simply couldn't abandon it.

When D was far enough away from the brightly-lighted entrance of the hospital, D started to walk behind the hospital, where a large garden was kept for the patients. Fortunately, so early in the morning, it was deserted and D knew he'd be undisturbed.

"Q-chan." He called out, softly.

At his summons, the small horned rabbit flew down from the tree where he'd been waiting for D. Q-chan was a horned rabbit. For anyone who'd never seen such a creature, was quite small, cute, and was absolutely unique. With the body of a rabbit that was only as tall as D's hand, two tiny horns on his forehead, duck-like feet, and a long rat's tail; Q-chan was quite likely the most odd animal to ever exist on Earth.

Q-chan flew to D's outstretched hand and landed there, wrapping his tail around D's fingers. "I want you to keep an eye on Leon's father. Do you think you can find him?"

Q-chan gave an indignant squeak. 'Of course I can! What about the child?'

D stroked Q-chan's furry head affectionately. "I'm leaving Bombay to guard him. I'm sure they'll be fine together. If you must, look into Mr. Barn's mind. I want some answers. This whole situation makes no sense."

With that, Q-chan took flight and disappeared into the city's sky. D watched his beloved friend go and took one last look up at the window where he knew Leon was fast asleep and would likely be kept in a drugged sleep for a long while. 'If only no one had claim to him, I would take him. But...I can't interfere without knowing everything. I have to find his contract.'






Tom Barns-






Tom hadn't seen his son all day. It really wasn't that much of a surprise. Leon usually spent most of his time out wandering the city when he wasn't in school. Since the boy's school bag was missing, he knew the boy had gone off to school before Tom had woken up that morning. Tom wondered, for a moment, if he should worry about where Leon was. But, it wasn't really worth all that much trouble. Leon would come back. He always came back.

Later, when Tom got home from work, Leon still hadn't gotten back. Tom went straight to bed and fell into a deep asleep, suddenly exhausted for some reason. In his sleep, Tom tossed in his sleep and dreamed, remembering.

He never saw the tiny creature fly to his windowsill, a bat-like rabbit watching him with glowing eyes.





Dream-






"I don't want a pet!" Tom protested to the strange oriental man who stood at the doorway of his petshop. The man had called out to Tom, saying that he looked like he could use a pet. "I don't even like animals."

"Oh, sir, I think you don't understand how this pet will influence your life." The man, his hair so dark it was almost purple, smiled slyly at Tom and spoke with a honey sweet voice. "If you knew how remarkable this creature is, you would surely beg for me to sell it to you."

Tom didn't now quite how he got talked into it, but for some reason, he found himself in the dark petshop, examining the animal in question. On second thought, Tom did know why he was considering this. The PET in question wasn't an animal, exactly, and the petshop owner had made wild promises.

"This one has little power, unlike many of my dear pets. He is young, barely more than a baby, and has only one talent. Loyalty. He will do everything in his power to please you, and he will never betray his loved ones." While he spoke, the man moved and his long cape of purplish hair swayed around him,

It was that. With that one claim, Tom knew he'd have power. His job was at a dead-end, his girlfriend had just run off with a woman, and lately, he was starting to see just how messed-up and unfair the world was. But...but with a pet, he would have control over something.

That was why Tom bought the child who sat on a stool in the center of the petshop. The little blonde boy could have been no more than four and he wore only a pair of loose fitting shorts. The boy watched trustingly, the oriental man and Tom sign the contract.




RRRRRR!!!!!!






End Dream-






RRRRRR!!!!!!



To m woke with a gasp and sweating terribly when the phone beside his bed rang. There was some kind of deep seeded terror clawing at the inside of his chest, but it was fading as the sound of the oriental man's voice vanished from his mind. Tom sat on his bed and shook while the fear from the dream made him shake until he was able to answer the phone.

"What?" Tom demanded. Why on Earth was he dreaming that? It had been so long ago.

"Tom? It's Jack, I'm at the hospital."

Tom rolled his eyes. "Jack, you work at the hospital, where else would you be?" Tom didn't really like Jack; he was just someone Tom knew. "What do you want?"

Jack's tone suddenly became a far less friendly. "I just saw your kid, Tom. What the Hell did you do to him? It looked like he got run over by a car!"

This, naturally, made Tom wake up completely and start getting dressed, even as he held the phone to his ear. "Leon's at the hospital? What happened?" 'That little brat! If this is gonna cost me money...' Tom hoped he sounded concerned, it didn't do to let people know you didn't give a rat's ass about the kid you were taking care of, but he had no illusions about himself. Tom knew the only person he was worried about was himself and he was more worried that this would cost him an arm and a leg than about what had happened to Leon.

"How should I know? I'm just an orderly. Get your ass down here, now! A cop and some teacher brought in your kid. That cop was plenty pissed when he left. I'm not going to cover for you again, Tom. This is my job at stake and they said you nearly killed your son..."

Tom hung up the phone. To Hell with what Jack thought. Leon wasn't Tom's son, and to Tom that fact made all the difference. If Leon were really his kid, Tom knew he'd treat Leon better, he knew he'd be a great father to his own flesh and blood. As it was, Leon was treated pretty well as far as Tom was concerned. He was treated pretty good for an animal.

Tom spent only about five minutes getting dressed before he tore out the door of his apartment. This was getting to be a matter of pride, keeping that teacher away from Leon. He took a taxi to the hospital and let his anger simmer on the way.

'Why'd I ever get the brat, anyway?' He was still living in a dump of an apartment. It was all Leon's fault, too. Tom didn't know quite how, but he was sure the boy was responsible for his miserable life. Of course, if he lost Leon, then he wouldn't have anything to control and that thought made Tom very afraid. The only reason he'd paid so much for the boy so long ago was so he'd have control over something. He would not lose Leon, not now!






Bombay-






Bombay watched the master, Count D, leave and settled himself more comfortably on the bed with Little Lion's body next to him. He listened absently to the two humans talk for a moment until the male left and the female sat in a chair next to Little Lion's bed. She petted Bombay while she spoke to Little Lion, though the little one was fast asleep and couldn't hear her. It took a long time for the female to fall asleep, but when she did, Bombay got up and looked around the room.

He'd never been in this kind of room and he wasn't entirely sure he liked it. The room smelled odd, but what could one expect from humans? Bombay jumped off the bed and landed on his legs, knowing that if any human were to walk in unexpectedly, they would only see his animal shape of a small house cat. Once he was sure that the room was secure, nothing lurking in the shadowed corners of the darkened room, Bombay walked back to where Little Lion was.

'My fault.' It was quite obvious. Bombay reached out with his almost human hand and stroked back the sweat-dampened bangs from the cub's face as he sat on the bedside. 'I should have protected you. It was my responsibility. You trusted me and I failed you.'






Flashback-







The room was Bombay's home, though he often prowled the petshop to see that there were no intruders and that everyone was doing well, Bombay had lived most of his long life in this one room. It was his place, as the oldest male, to protect and take care of the younger pets that lived in the petshop. Bombay yawned and stretched on the branch of the tree he was trying to sleep in. It was his favorite spot, the place where the sun would hit just right and warm his fur.

In the distance Bombay could hear the younger kittens playing and he had seen the females preening near the river, making themselves as beautiful as possible. Bombay had no use for prettying himself up. He didn't care what he looked like; the master had made it clear that his only use was to fight, not to look nice. The females had to look pretty for customers, but Bombay defended the petshop. It was his responsibility.

Abruptly, all noise in the jungle room stopped and Bombay was instantly alert to whatever threat might cause the comfortable noise to cease. There could be no enemies, not unless some foolish person had decided to invade the petshop. The pets didn't hunt each other and they didn't fight, it was against the rules the master made them live by.

"Bombay!" The white feline man looked up at his name being called and saw one of the bird-girls, one of the younger ones, land on a branch above him. She looked frightened and skittish the way her head kept turning this way and that and the feathers on her neck were raised in distress.

"Calm down, Celm." Bombay told her. "What have you seen? Why is everyone frightened?"

"The master has come." Celm told him, frightened.

Bombay felt a shiver go down his spine. "He probably has a customer for us." It must be a contract. Yes, it must be. There was no other reason for the master to come as no one had misbehaved. Surely, he hadn't come to punish them again.

"Is he angry?" Celm asked quietly with wide eyes, nearly begging Bombay to reassure her.

Bombay stretched up and gave the girl a reassuring lick on the tip of her beak. "Stay here. I'll see what the master wants." Again, it was his duty. Everyone else was so young that Bombay didn't want to send them to the master without reason.

Bombay leapt out of the tree and landed gracefully. He was by no means a young tom anymore, but he was still strong enough to take care of the others. His black fur had long ago turned milk white and even his amber eyes had turned blue with age. Sometimes, Bombay felt age creeping into his bones, though he looked almost as young as the others, his face was beginning to show lines of age. He was getting old and it worried him. Who would protect the young ones when he was to gone? Bombay didn't know why he was the only one who seemed to age, there must be other animals his age, right?

The master was indeed waiting, at a lovely spot by a river, and he was holding something in his arms. Bombay crept out of the bushes on his hands and knees and bowed before the master, touching his forehead to the ground before he raised his head as far back as it would go, baring his throat to the master. Bombay waited until the expected touch to his head and then looked up at the master.

"I have a new cub for you, Bombay." The master motioned for Bombay to stand and Bombay did as he was told, well aware of the consequences if he disobeyed. "He was only recently found and I want you to care for him. Train him well."

"Yes, master." Bombay held out his arms and the master carefully handed him the tiny bundle. It smelled like a male cat and Bombay held it close to his bare chest without taking time to examine him properly. "Does he have a name, master?"

The master shrugged, his incredibly long hair waving at his every move, and turned away. "It doesn't matter. Name him as you please."

Then Bombay was alone again with only the tiny cub in his arms and sighed. He wondered briefly if the cub had his mother somewhere or if, perhaps his mother had died. He'd never know and he was to smart to ask the master. "Well, little one, what shall we call you?" Bombay looked a little closer at the bundle in his arms. The cub was terribly small and had a small fringe of golden hair. "A lion, are you? Well, I suppose there is an obvious name."






End Flashback-







Bombay shook himself out of his memories at the smell of a stranger. He had noticed too late and Bombay recognized the scent at once. 'It's that human! The one who hurt my Little Lion!' Bombay launched himself at the human who'd entered the room only to have something smash against his skull seconds later. He never even had time to attack.

Bombay landed hard and felt his vision fading as the human approached Little Lion's bed. 'Master!' Bombay cried out before he fell unconscious.





Tom Barns-





When he finally reached the hospital, Tom had a plan in mind to get Leon out of the hospital without drawing to much attention to himself. 'Try to take my kid away, huh?' Tom thought angrily while he stalked into the main lobby. 'I paid enough for the brat, I'll be damned if I let anyone take my property!' It wasn't so much the fact that he was worried about Leon, but the insult that the woman would try to take something that belonged to him was just too much to bear.

Tom went directly to the hospital's reception desk, grateful that it was early and it was quiet so early in the morning. He looked at the young girl who was sitting behind the glass window. "I'm looking for the men's room, miss." Tom gave the girl his most charming smile and she smiled back, not thinking anything of it.

"Just down the hall and to the left, sir." She told him, pointing him down the hall behind her desk. Tom grinned at her and winked as he walked passed. It never failed. Give a girl a smile and she was putty in your hands. As soon as he was passed her, though, Tom's smiled faded away and he went right passed the men's room.

Leon's room was easy enough to find when Tom finally found the pediatrics wing and Tom wasn't all that surprised to find Leon's meddling teacher, Lisa, fast asleep in the chair beside the bed. 'The bitch probably can't have any of her own kids, so she trying to take mine.'

Well, it wouldn't work. Tom knew that the kid wouldn't betray him. Though Tom just couldn't understand Leon's loyalty, but he thought it was undoubtedly one of Leon's most useful traits. Tom knew if they'd been in opposite places, he'd have runaway years ago. Still, if the kid didn't mind getting a whooping now and then Tom was going to take full advantage of Leon.

A mangy white cat hissed at Tom suddenly and leapt at his face. Tom grabbed the first thing that was handy, the gun hidden inside his coat, and cracked the animal over the head with the handle. Tom didn't spare the time to think about what he'd done, just did it. The cat fell limply to the floor and it bright white fur stain quickly with blood.

'Never could stand animals.' In fact, Tom hated animals. He'd hated them ever since he could remember and maybe that's why he took out his anger on Leon. Animals weren't real people, after all.

Tom started to unhook the wires from Leon, being as quiet as he could, and ended with pulling the IV out of Leon's arm. This was when Leon finally woke up. He blinked up at Tom with the one eye that would open. "Dad?" Leon's voice sounded sluggish and raspy from the drugs they'd given him.

"Who do you think, kid? Keep quiet while we get out of here." Tom easily lifted Leon up and, to his surprise, Leon leaned easily into Tom's chest with a contented smile.

"I knew you'd come for me, Dad."

"Yeah. Whatever. Keep quiet." The last thing he wanted was for that woman to wake up and cause a scene. Of course, it would be nice to shove the fact down her throat that he was still Leon's dad and he still had the authority to do whatever he damned well pleased. But he didn't need the hassle right now. He knew the cops would be swarming like bees in an hour or two, probably, and Tom needed to get his story straight.




After Tom had left the room, he didn't see the person walk into the room and pick up the cat's still body. The person cradled the cat for a moment before looking out in the hallway to where Tom was sneaking away.




Tom used the service exit, an elevator with a sign marked, EMPLOYEES ONLY, to get to the basement and get out through the basement. Leon had fallen back asleep and was a bit of a handicap, but Tom made it out to the street without trouble. Once out, he started for his apartment through the garden, now lit only with light from the hospital rooms of patients who were still awake. The garden was completely silent and seemed empty, no surprise in the dead of night. No one would see him out here, surely.

"Good evening."

Tom jumped, he was so startled.

"YOU!?" Tom stared at the man who glided out of the darkness, as if he were apart of it, slowly making his way toward Tom. "What are you doing here?"

The man raised an eyebrow in surprise. "You know me?" He came close enough to see Leon in Tom's arms. "I see you know my little friend."

Tom scowled. "Don't pull this shit with me, Count! I remember you well enough. I haven't broken the contract, so you've got no reason to be here!" Tom held his ground against the Chinese man before he walked around the Count and carried Leon away.






Count D-






D reached up to his shoulder where Q-chan sat comfortably to give the creature a pat and they both watched Tom Barns walk away, taking Little Lion with him. "You're sure of what you saw in his mind?"

'Yes. He doesn't even know I was encouraging his memories to come forward. His memories are truth, and you know we can't act unless the contract is broken. We can't help unless the human messes up.'

"Yes, grandfather, I know. I need to see to Bombay."

Hidden away in the bushes was an older man, sitting on the ground with one hand held to his head. Well, he looked like a man at first glance, anyway. If one were to look closer, one would see that his eyes were shaped differently than any humans. They were bright, almost glowing blue, and very large. His mouth was slightly opened as he panted from the pain in his head, showing off his sharp teeth. The man's hair wasn't quite human, either. It was white and long, hanging to his waist, and was much thicker than normal, human hair. He had cuffs of white hair on his wrists and ankles, and his skin was pure white.

'Will he be all right?' Q-chan asked, looking at the muscular man with concern. 'It was a lucky blow, I didn't think Bombay would be caught off guard. Perhaps it's time for him to retire from such work. He's lived so long for one of his species.'

"He will be fine." D told Q-chan. "I did not think he would be caught unawares, either."

"Master,"

D turned his gaze to where Bombay, in his human-like form, was slumped against a tree.

"I'm sorry, master. I didn't think he had a weapon. I failed." Bombay sounded terribly ashamed of himself. This was the first time he'd not been able to complete his mission.

"You should have expected it." D knelt next to Bombay to examine the head wound better. "You've had plenty of experience dealing with humans." D probed the gnash with one long fingernail, causing Bombay to flinch. "What distracted you?"

"Remembering, Master. It was my fault." Bombay was staring at the ground, to ashamed to meet his master's eyes. "I was thinking back when Little Lion was with us and my mind wandered away from my task."

D leaned forward and sniffed Bombay's wound, not a dangerous one, but painful all the same. The blood of his dear pets was unlike human blood. There was a sweetness to it and the only thing D had ever found that had come close to the same taste, was sugar. It was the cause for his constant cravings for sweets. It wasn't an exact match, but it was very close.

Bombay leaned toward D, though careful not to touch his master, silently begging for help. It was a sign of respect that he wouldn't touch D unless invited to do so. Most of the younger pets had no such qualms, but Bombay had grown up under a different, harsher master, one who was not so informal and caring.

Bombay whimpered pitifully, making a whining noise deep in his throat. D never could bear to see one of his dear ones in pain. "Come to me, Bombay." He put his arms around Bombay's broad shoulders and pulled the larger feline man into his embrace.

Bombay, still not looking at D, moved to cuddle up to D, putting his arms around D's waist while D wrapped his arms around Bombay to hold him in place. Bombay was practically laying in D's lap when D heard Bombay sigh and relax, trusting that D would take care of everything.

D kissed Bombay. It was a simple kiss directly on the bleeding wound, but D reveled in the taste, a mind numbing sweetness that coated his lips. Bombay started to lick D's neck to show his pleasure and stopped only when D gently pushed away slightly. It would be dangerous to try doing this for to long as the taste of the blood was addictive and D all ready liked it too much.

Bombay was healed now, without even a sign that he'd ever been hurt. D still held Bombay close, almost on his lap, and Bombay kept his arms around D. It was to comfort, and let Bombay know that D wasn't angry with him and Bombay needed that reassurance right now.

"You were there, weren't you?" D asked after licking his lips clean of Bombay's blood. "So long ago."

"Yes, master. I remember when the human bought Little Lion." Bombay's lips drew back in a growl as he thought back on that unpleasant time. "It was before you came to us. When your sire was our master."






Flashback-





Bombay grew fond of Little Lion, the golden haired cub was wild and willful, but Bombay loved him like he loved his own cubs. In his long life here, Bombay had sired more than one cub with the many females who looked to him for protection. He was, after all, the dominant male, and none of the younger cubs could match his strength, yet. But, Little Lion was even more precious to Bombay than his own cubs, for some reason. The happy, cub made Bombay's heart sing when they were together and Bombay would have done anything for the cub.

Together, the two of them slept in the tall tress in the sunlight and Bombay taught the cub to hunt under the silver moon of the jungle room. He taught Little Lion to bathe in the rivers and how to walk upright, a difficult skill to learn.

For four years they were together, a simply, happy life.

Then the master took Little Lion away. In the cool night, Bombay heard the master summons him and Little Lion to the glade where Bombay had first been given the cub to rear. Bombay did as his master commanded him, carrying Little Lion in his arms, but he didn't like it. There were only two reason the master would want to see Little Lion. It was either he wanted to see how the cub was turning out or...

Once they reached the master, Bombay set Little Lion down on the ground and fell to his knees before his master. When he bared his throat, Bombay noticed that Little Lion was following his lead, kneeling before the master and then tilting his head back, imitating Bombay as best as he could with a cub's pleasure at doing what his 'father' did.

"Our Little Lion will be sold in a contract."

Bombay's head snapped up, not even waiting for permission. "He...he's so young, master."

The master looked at Bombay with his usual frozen smile. "He is a pet and he will be sold. I have a...deserving customer in mind." The master held his hand out to Little Lion, but the cub looked confused. He turned to Bombay, questioningly.

"Master," Bombay tried, feeling desperate. "I will take his place, but Little Lion is to young. He's not been properly trained, yet." It was all to common that when a customer broke the contract, the pet sold would not be able to return to the petshop. Often, a broken contract meant death for a pet not properly trained.

The master's eyes narrowed slightly. "Do you question me?" His long nailed fingers reached out and caressed Bombay's cheek. "Do you question my judgment, cat?" In the master's voice was undeniable menace.

Bombay trembled at the master's touch. "No, master. But...he's young. I can handle..."

"You," the master sunk his long fingernails into Bombay's cheek, making Bombay cry out in pain. "Have your duty to perform. You will stay here and guard the pets as you have always done. The cub will be sold. You will not interfere. Do you understand?"

Bombay let out a soft mewling sound of pain as the blood ran down his face. "Yes, master."

"Bombo?" Bombay shifted his eyes to look at Little Lion who'd spoken, using the nickname he'd given to Bombay. Little Lion looked frightened, but he didn't know what to do to help. "What's wrong?"

The master dug his fingernails deeper into Bombay's cheeks, causing another mewl of pain. "Yes, tell your cub what is going to happen?" The master instructed Bombay, his beautiful eyes holding the promise of a lot of pain if Bombay were to disobey.

But Bombay said nothing. 'I can't tell him to let himself be sold!'

Instead of more pain that he'd expected, Bombay was released and fell to the ground, a hand clutching his injured face. It wasn't the first time the master had hurt him and it would hardly be the last. When Bombay blinked away his tears he saw the master taking Little Lion's hand and pulling the cub easily up into his arms.

"We have found you a new home, cub." The master saw with a cheerful smile. "Your Bombo wants you to be very good and to do exactly what you are told."

Little Lion looked over the master's shoulder at Bombay who still lay on the ground. "But...why'd you hurt Bombo? You made him bleed."

"Bombo was not behaving so he had to be punished. He will be fine, but we must leave now."

Bombay tried to raise himself up, but found himself frozen on the ground. He couldn't move or speak, he was simply frozen. Trapped, Bombay watched his cub be taken away and that was the last time he'd ever seen Little Lion.





Later-





It was not long after Little Lion had been taken away that it happened. The most shocking and terrifying thing that had ever happened in the memory of all the pets. The world shook.

Bombay was in his favorite tree, basking in the sun, when everything started shaking violently. He'd been terribly upset when his cub was taken away, but there was nothing he could do. If he tried to disobey the master, he would be killed. Just the punishment for that one moment of question the master was still haunting Bombay.

Bombay sunk his claws deep into the tree branch, hoping he wouldn't fall and, in the distance, heard the shrieks of the others. Bombay felt helpless while clung on for dear life and listened to the younger ones cry, screaming for help. He heard his name several times, but he couldn't do anything.

It didn't stop after a few minutes, the world kept shaking and shuttering. Bombay heard a sickening crack and suddenly he was being plunged into the river below. It was freezing and when he hit, the tree branch was still under him. The force of the hit was enough that Bombay knew he'd broken ribs. He roared out, but only got a mouth full of water while he sunk.

'I HATE the water!' He thought, trying to get himself up to the air. He was heavy, though, and swimming had never been something he'd wanted to learn. The water was murky brown from the disturbed silt, but even then, Bombay saw a frantically struggling leg of someone who'd been trapped under the fallen branch. He made his way there and lifted the branch as much as he could. Fortunately, the small fish-boy was little enough to swim free and then pull Bombay up to the surface.

The world was still shaking. "What's going on?" The fish-boy asked while Bombay hauled himself up to the land.

"I don't know. Swim around and see if anyone needs help." Bombay ran off, looking for others while their world seemed to be falling apart. Trees fell and rocks were rolling all over the place. Deep gnashes opened up in the earth and Bombay even had to pull a few people out of these holes.

Luckily, after a while, the world settled down and Bombay managed to gather everyone together. There was an occasional shake, but not as fierce as before. In the end no one had been hurt, other than minor things, not even the cubs. Everyone was afraid and crying, desperately holding onto each other.

"What's going on?"

"What happened?"

"Is the master angry with us?"

All these questions and more were being thrown at Bombay and he didn't answer for a moment. Everyone watched him, hoping he'd have an answer. The ground shook again, one last time, and the blackened sky abruptly cleared, going back to the normal crystal blue.

Bombay, and everyone else, looked around warily, as if the master would suddenly appear from nowhere. A moment passed and no one appeared.

"I...I'll ask the master what's going on. Everyone stay together in case the ground starts shaking again." Bombay left them like that and went into the halls of the petshop. All was quiet, though paintings and knickknacks had fallen all over the floor. Whatever had shaken the jungle had affected the main petshop, too, apparently. Bombay saw, as he walked through the halls, the little girl form of the Ki-rin poking her head out of the door of her room (She was to dangerous and valuable to live with the other pets). "Go back, child." He whispered to her. "I will speak with the master." Bombay reassured her.

The girl nodded, but said, "Beware. There is change in the air."

Before Bombay could ask her anymore, she vanished back inside her room. He thought of going to ask her what she'd meant, the girl may look like a child, but she was wise in many things.

"Is everything prepared?"

Bombay froze at the voice and listened.

"Yes. I believe I've brought everything."

Bombay crept closer the door that led into the sitting room of the petshop, where the master often entertained guests. There was something odd going on.

"I knew it would be hard, but he shouldn't come back. I'll see to that, myself."

"Thank you, Sofu."

Bombay pressed his ear to the door, hoping to hear more of the odd conversation. For a moment, there were no voices and then...the door was suddenly flung open and Bombay found himself unceremoniously falling on his face. A soft giggle and, "Oh, I seem to have a visitor." Bombay looked up at the male who'd spoken and was horrified to see the master grinning down at him.

Bombay didn't stop to think how odd it was that the master had suddenly cut his hair very short, above his shoulders. He rolled onto his back, showing his belly to the master. It was the usual sign that he was asking forgiveness. A long silence and Bombay didn't dare to open his eyes. The master must be furious that Bombay had been listening to a conversation!

As the silence stretched, Bombay began to tremble with fear. The master always either forgave him by now or started to punish him, the waiting NEVER lasted this long!

The master's cool hand touched Bombay's belly and Bombay jerked slightly, reminded of his broken ribs, but careful not to open his eyes. 'Please, don't kill me.'

"You poor dear." The master crooned. "You've been hurt! Won't you let me help you? Won't you look at me?"

Bombay was just as confused by the master's gentle words as he was by the caring touch. Slowly, Bombay opened his eyes and saw the master kneeling next to him. "Well, hello." The master said brightly. Then, without warning, the master bent over and put his mouth on Bombay's chest. Bombay blinked, almost to surprised to be afraid, and gasped at the nice feeling he was suddenly getting.

It was not often that the master allowed him to have a healing kiss. They were reserved for the important pets, the pretty ones the master didn't want to have scars or the powerful ones. Bombay was not worthy of the healing kiss of the master.

After a moment, the master sat up straight and looked at Bombay, the healing complete. "What happened?"

"The world shook, master. I fell and..." Bombay paused when he realized there was something different about the master. The scent wasn't quite right and one of the master's eyes had gone golden.

"There's no need to call me master. My father had to leave for a little while and I'm here to take care of you the best I can. You can call me Count D."

Bombay didn't move. He knew this was a trick of some kind. He just knew it!





One hour later, after the master (Bombay would never get used to calling the master, Count D) had asked to be shown where everyone lived, Bombay was the only who hadn't fallen in love with him. The master seemed to be very kind, but Bombay couldn't quite believe it. While the master talked with the others and played with the young (one female was even letting the master hold her newborn) Bombay kept his distance. He really didn't trust the new master any more than he'd trusted the old one. He didn't know what had happened to make the other master go away and he hated it when he couldn't understand something.

So, Bombay waited for disaster to strike. One wrong move or wrong word and this one would prove himself to be just like the old master. Bombay knew he just had to wait.

Dead silence grabbed Bombay's attention. The cub the master had been holding had wet itself on the master's lap. Everyone stared in horror, because though they might like this master better, old fears were hard to get rid of.

Bombay dashed over as quickly as he could and scooped the newborn from the master's arms, tossing it easily to the mother who disappeared into the crowd with it. Everyone melted away, slipping into the jungle quickly to get as far from the master as possible, at Bombay's barked order, "Leave!"

The master still sat, as if confused at Bombay's suddenly lightening move. He looked up to find Bombay the only one still there, his eyes on the ground and waiting to be hurt. It would only hurt for a moment and scars never lasted long.

"You don't need to be afraid of me." The master said softly. "I will never hurt any of you."

Bombay held his ground, still not convinced that this was anything but a strange trick of some kind.

"I am here to protect you."

'No!' Bombay thought, 'I'm the protector! I'm the teacher! I take care of everyone!' He didn't like this new change. The master was being nice to them and Bombay didn't think it was quite natural. "You are the master." Bombay said firmly. He couldn't think of anything else that wouldn't give offense.

The master was suddenly standing in front of Bombay and Bombay steeled himself. This was it. The master would surely be angry. Strange, he didn't look angry. He looked...sad?

"I'm new at this. Forgive me if I don't act like him, but I'm not my father." He touched Bombay's long white hair, tenderly. "I will not try to be him."

Bombay watched while the master left the jungle room. 'I am not my father. I will not try to be him.' Maybe...maybe this master would be different.






End Flashback-






To be continued...






Evil Little god of Writing: "I hope Leon's 'dad' dies a long and horrible death." He pouts in the corner.

Lil' Demoness and cousin D: 0.0 "What?! We thought you'd like him."

Evil Little god of Writing: "Are you kidding? The man's got to style or class! He's a petty little man with nothing better to do with his life than beat a little kid." He sniffs disdainfully. "Even I have standards, after all!"

Lil' Demoness: Smiles happily. "Maybe there's hope for you, after all!"

Evil Little god of Writing: "Don't bet on it. I just wanna help kill the man. Trust me, I can do a very good job with that."

Lil' Demoness: "Cousin D? You'll probably never hear me say this again, but he's right."

Cousin D: "Now I know there's something wrong with the world."

Lil' Demoness: "You know Tom Barns deserves a visit from our sadistic little friend, admit it. Besides, this will make Bombay feel good and I like Bombay."



Cousin D: "Darn, but I'm proud of Bombay! I just had to say that. I normally don't do OC, but Bombay turned out just fine.