Pet Shop Of Horrors Fan Fiction ❯ The Journal of One, Leon Orcot ❯ May 24, 1999 ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
May 24, 1999
Well, another day, another Chinatown. It's been four days since my last entry, and I wish I could put something more meaningful in this report. I'm sitting in a bar now, drinking the cheapest beer on the menu. I try not to sped much on creature comforts nowadays, but every so often, I feel like I need to unwind a bit. And if that means taking refuge with a cold beer on a cloudy humid day, then yeah. (Also, can I just say that I think the Euro is one of the best things to happen to me on this trip? I hate money changing. Going to England is still a pain in the ass though.) I digress.
I found another Buddhist center. But it seemed populated by a lot more Thai immigrants than Chinese. The head monks did know Han-Shan though, but unfortunately, they were no help when it came to D. It seems to me, and they suggested this as well, that one thing I really need to start doing on this expedition is brush up on Chinese lore.
It might be in my best interest to stop by some museums, or maybe even colleges, that might have some sort of information on the subject. Yeah. Some of them prissy Ivy League places might have some helpful information. If they'll even let me in. I'd have to freshen up first. Shave, wash up. God, right now I'm a poster child for the bus of the world. I have a nice button down shirt and nice-ish pats that I keep in my knapsack when I'm trying my best to be presentable. My hair is getting long now too, all the way to the middle of my back. But I don't need a fancy hair cut, I'll just snip my ponytail. Not all of it...I like my hair, thank you very much.
But, as I said, the temple didn't help out much. So I went to my default of questioning passersby. The standard questions are: 1) Have you seen this man (SO GLAD I found that Berlin photo.) 2) Is there a pet shop around here? 3) Have you ever heard of Count D? 4) If I notice that they have an exotic-looking animal: Where did you get that pet?
Unfortunately, most of the time the answers are negative. But at least I can practice listening and speaking Chinese. I'm still getting better. I mostly understood a conversation that a couple of girls were having about their boyfriends. Something about how if he didn't all her by this time tomorrow she was gonna break up with him. Hardly the most constructive thing to listen to, but it's something. I'm proud of myself for making it that far. I've noticed that Chinese women seem to know exactly what they want to the point that it's scary. That Count was like that too. But he was always more girly than most of the girls I know. I feel a bit sorry for those guys, actually. But at least those girls aren't all clingy...better to have a girl who won't get all whiny and mopey after a break up. That kind of relationship sucks.
You know, I could be focusing on getting laid right now! I'm 28 years old, damn it! I'm supposed to be in the prime of my life! There are some FINE looking honeys at this bar, (twins, even!) that I can't buy a drink for because I'm wasting all my time and money on D. Of course...when I think about it, I was wasting my time and money on him before he ran off, wasn't I? All that chocolate and those pastries and crap. Hell, it didn't even pay off in the end. He still got away. Jerk. When I find him, he should make it up to me. Maybe set me up with one of those lady friends he has. Wait. Those were animals, weren't they? I guess that isn't the best option. I'm not into fur. Or scales. Or whatever the hell else he has lurking in his shop. For now I'll just enjoy the eye candy that's right here in front of me. The next place on my list is Rotterdam. I'll head out in the morning. It's too late to travel right now. And I still need to find a nice dry corner to sleep before I can travel.
~ Leon
A/N: A warning to all readers-I'm sure you noticed that not much was discovered in this chapter. This fic is going to be obnoxiously long, with probably chapters numbering in the hundreds. I'm going for a somewhat realistic approach to Leon's adventure. As such, I just want to point out that there will likely be many journals that do not contain any major moments of enlightenment on behalf of Leon. He might just have an entry talking about how he's done nothing but travel and get stung by a bee. (Ok, maybe not QUITE that mundane, but I think you get the point). Please, be patient at these times. I promise that the 'aha' moments will be worth the wait. ^_^