Pirates Of The Caribbean Fan Fiction ❯ Mirror, Mirror ❯ Errand ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 5
 
Ayse was content to spend most of the day finishing her chores before retiring to the garden with the letter she'd gotten from her father. She carefully undid the green candle wax seal and unfolded the letter to see what her father had written. It had been several months since she'd last heard from him, and the gift of the mirror along with his correspondence was a wonderful surprise.
 
My Dearest Ayse,
 
I hope that this letter finds you in good Health and wonderful Spirit. I am writing to you from the colony at Bombay where I have been for the past few months to finish some business here. I hope the looking glass I shipped you got there in one piece, and I do hope you enjoy it.
 
I have been well, though I miss you terribly and cannot wait to see you. I have the intention of arriving home sometime after the close of the year where I hope to stay permanently and be with you. I hope your Uncle Edmund and Aunt Anne are in good health and that you are well cared for in my dearth. Please give them my sincerest regards and my gratitude for taking you in their home during my absence.
 
In closing, I wish to say that I miss you and I will be home as soon as I can. I will remain in Bombay until the closure of the year and should you take it upon yourself to reply to this, I shall be looking forward to it.
 
With Love,
Father
 
Ayse smiled a little and put the letter down in her lap. Oh, how she missed her father so and could hardly wait for his return, but that time seemed so far off that she wondered how she would ever make it. She had only been staying with her relations for only a handful of months because her father found it difficult to keep her at sea with him. He felt that his only daughter and child needed to be around company less crass and that she needed to properly learn how to be a good gentlewoman. Being without Ayse's mother had placed John Thomas at a disadvantage - although he was able to educate his daughter, he was unable to teach her the things that only her mother could teach.
Because of this shortcoming, John, who spent most of his life at sea doing business and taking Ayse with him wherever he went, decided that she needed a stable home and so brought her to Port Royal to live with her Uncle Edmund and his wife who would agreed to provide Ayse with the help that she needed to make her eligible for marriage. Of course, John was not the type of man who was in a hurry for his daughter to get married. While most families arranged marriages for their children, John was a non-traditional type of father who wanted Ayse to have the right to follow her heart and marry for love. He'd left it to Edmund's responsibility to see to it that if Ayse were to fall in love in his absence, then he was to give the blessing in his place and make arrangements for the wedding should Ayse and her choice of a mate were to become engaged.
As Ayse relaxed in the shade of a palm tree and fanned herself, she thought of James. A thought occurred to her, and she began to theorize. James had confirmed that before he came into Ayse's hands, he was unable to be seen or heard to make contact with anyone until he came into Ayse's hands. So if that were the case, if they were to find a way for him to move from glass to glass, would he be visible only to the person who owned that mirror? Then she got an idea. What if she were to put him into a looking glass that belonged to James himself?
Ayse stood up from her seat and went back into the house. She made her way up the stairs quietly and peeked into her room. “James?” She stepped in fully and closed the door quietly behind her.
“Yes, what is it?” he asked.
She stepped into view of the looking glass and placed the letter her father sent her upon her dressing table. “Oh, I came in to check on you.”
He blinked. “Well…I'm the same as before - stuck in this blasted glass.” He nodded toward the letter. “Is…that a letter from your father?”
She smiled warmly. “Yes, it is. I just haven't had a chance to read it until now.”
“How is he?”
Ayse sat down on her cedar chest and smoothed out the skirts of her day gown. “He is well. Thank you for asking. Right now he's in Bombay and probably will be until the end of the year. He said he should be returning afterward.”
“Oh, that's quite a long time, then.”
“It is, indeed, but he says that when he comes home it will be to stay, permanently, hopefully.”
James ventured a smile. “Oh, I can't imagine how happy you must be to hear that.”
“Aye, I am, but it seems so far away.”
“Ah, rather like I hope to get to Calypso, but it seems so far away and impossible. You have a far greater chance of your hopes coming true.”
Ayse smiled warmly and stood up. She touched the wooden side of the mirror and brought herself into close proximity with James. “Please don't be such a pessimist, James. You'll never get out of there with that attitude. I've been thinking of your situation, and I actually had a thought occur to me while I was relaxing in the garden.”
“A thought? And?”
“Well, firstly, where is your residence here in Port Royal?”
James frowned a little. “Over on Queen Street.”
“Will your things still be there?” Ayse questioned as she unpinned her apron.
“It depends on how long I've been gone,” he replied.
“Well, the fleet of ships that they sent to quell the pirate uprising came back a few months ago.”
“Then it hasn't been that long…” James trailed. He looked up at her. “Why do you want to go to my house, Ayse?”
She put on her hat and began to tie it in place under her chin. “After our little talk earlier, I had an idea. I thought that if we can find a way to move you from glass to glass, then perhaps we can ascertain whether you will be able to communicate with others. Then I took it a step farther and wondered what would happen if you put yourself into your own glass.”
James looked perplexed. “My own glass? A glass that I own?”
She nodded. “Yes. I was hoping that you had a small mirror in your grooming set. I was going to go to your house and get the glass and then bring it back here. Then I was going to sneak into my cousin's room and borrow her glass and we could see what happens.”
“I see…” he trailed. “Won't your cousin be angry if you steal her mirror, though?”
Ayse smiled mischievously. “I wouldn't say `steal', James. I'm merely `borrowing it without permission'. She would have me locked up if she knew what I wanted it for.”
He laughed a little. “Well, alright, so without permission, you're going to borrow your cousin's hand mirror and see if you can put me in it?”
“That's the plan. And then I'm going to take you back to her room and see if she screams if and when she sees you,” Ayse explained amusedly.
James cocked his head and smirked. “That expression on your face is a dangerous one, Ayse.”
“Ha ha…indeed. Perhaps a small part of me wants to get back at her for being so obnoxious.”
“Well I thank you for making use of me for your little joke,” James offered amusedly. “I am curious about something: you never explained to me why it is that you want my looking glass.”
“Well…I had a theory that perhaps if I put you in your own glass, then maybe everyone would be able to notice you. I'm not sure why I came up with such a crazy theory, but…I thought that most everything has an opposite effect, so if only owners of their glasses could see you then something that was yours to begin with would have the reverse effect and make you available to everyone.”
He raised his eyebrows, amazed by her deduction. “I hadn't thought of that. But have you considered that it could also work the other way and no one will see me at all, not even you?”
Ayse nodded and picked up her purse. “I thought of that, too, but you know, Galileo Galilee would have never invented the telescope if he hadn't taken the chance to try his idea.”
Honestly, James could not beat her logic, and he knew he had to take some risks if he were to ever have hope of getting out of his God forsaken prison. “Very well, then. I imagine that the door is locked but the extra key should be under a brick closest to the front door. The house number is 240.”
“Alright, thank you. And thank you for trusting me to enter your home. I hope that your belongings haven't been removed.” She started for the door before turning to him. “I promise your things will be left undisturbed, but…would you like me to bring anything back?”
James shook his head. “No. I wouldn't be able to use it, but…I have a beautiful mahogany writing chest with stationery, a quill, and some ink. I want you to have it so you may correspond with your father while he is at sea.”
Ayse's eyes went wide. “Oh, James, I couldn't possibly accept something like that.”
“It is of no use to me anymore, so I'm giving it to someone that could use it,” he responded. A look of sincerity crossed his features. “Really, I insist you take it. It's...not much but sort of a repayment for what you are trying to do for me. You may find it in my study.”
She went to the mirror and placed her hand upon the wood side. “I expect no payment for this, James.”
“Then why are you doing this?”
“Kindness,” Ayse simply said. “So little of it exists these days, for one, and for another, if I was in your position, I'd desperately want someone to help me.” She looked at him sincerely. “Perhaps someday I will be rewarded for my efforts as fate sees fit.”
“Undoubtedly you will be, my friend,” James told her. He smiled weakly. “You had better get on with your errand or it will be dark soon. The streets of Port Royal are not a safe place to be at night for a young lady such as yourself.”
Ayse smiled once more at James as she made her way for the door. “I shall take your warning to heart, James, and take care to be home in plenty of time.”
 
----------------------------
 
Ayse made her way through the streets of Port Royal and found Queen Street easily - it was the part of the town where the nobility lived, including that of the Governor. She found James's house easily and stood out front to look at it for a moment. It was a large two-story typical colonial house painted white with a welcoming red door beneath a lovely little awning to shade the door. It wasn't nearly as large as the Governor's mansion, nor was it gaudy. James's home was welcoming, modest, but roomy for a high ranking officer in His Majesty's Navy. From the outside, James's home looked completely inhabited and well cared for while its owner was on hiatus.
There was a red brick walk that led up from the street to the front door, and Ayse carefully followed it up, taking care to remember where James had told her the key was located. She stepped on a loose, wiggly brick and stooped down to pick it up. Sure enough, there was a key beneath it and she took it, unlocked the door, and stepped inside.
Ayse found herself in the foyer of a very lovely home with a set of mahogany steps near the doorway leading upstairs. She felt so awkward venturing into James's home by herself, so she cautiously made her way inside, taking care to close the door behind her so people wouldn't think the good Admiral was being robbed.
“Hello?” she called, thinking that there might still be a maid or some kind of servant still around and attending to James's housekeeping. If there was someone present, Ayse certainly did not want to alarm them.
There was no answer, however, and she relaxed a little. She glanced about her to have a better look around. A large grandfather clock stood in the foyer somewhere near the stairs, and it was stopped, the time reading 4:26. She also found a coat rack holding a coat and a tricorn hat. She surmised that this coat and hat was something James wore on the occasion he was out of his uniform. To Ayse's left was the door to the parlor. To her right was the door to what looked to be James's study, and straight ahead was a door that apparently led to other parts of his home.
The first thing that Ayse thought she should do was find the looking glass in James's grooming set to bring back. The grooming set was more than likely in his bedchamber, so Ayse started up the stairs, lifting her skirts and running her hand along the railing as she climbed. At the top of the stairs, Ayse wandered into several rooms, mostly guest bedchambers, until she pushed aside a partially opened door to find a room that was obviously inhabited at one time.
Inside was a lovely four-poster bed, a masculine dressing table with a white powdered wig on a wooden head, and a neatly laid out grooming kit. There was also a large cherry wooden clothes press against the wall with a full length mirror fastened to the inside of the press's open door. A shirt was draped over this open door and she noticed some coats hanging up in the press as well. The bed was neatly made with a bed warmer leaning against the wall, a small nightstand with a candle and an open book atop the table. Completing the room was a fireplace that held the charred remains of wood, one large window with drapes and a closed door that led out to what appeared to be a small balcony.
Ayse sat down at James's dressing table and looked around her once more. It was sobering to think that the man who was trapped in her looking glass once had a life all his own, and that life was reflected by the fact that his belongings remained exactly as he left them when he'd left this house some months ago to embark on his journey only to find that it would be the last time James would ever see his house.
She ran her fingers over the edge of his dressing table before coming across his hand glass. She picked it up and peered at her own reflection. Ayse wanted to help James so desperately, but she was at a loss for what to do even if she figured out how to get him into another looking glass small enough for transportation. The next step would be getting him to Calypso, but that would mean that she would have to leave her home, and to do that, she would have to wait almost a year for her father to return. Even then, she couldn't guarantee that she would be able to leave since her father made it clear he would be staying permanently.
Ayse pocketed the looking glass and stood up. She would really have to do a lot of pondering on this issue, but she couldn't give up just yet. Father had always told her that where there was a will, there was always a way. She had the will for sure, but the way hadn't quite come to her. She made her way back the way she came and this time flitted into the study that James mentioned. Inside that room was a comfortable looking chair, a desk, several bookshelves with lots and lots of books, and a pair of spectacles on top of some paperwork sitting on the desk.
Ayse smiled a little and carefully picked up his spectacles - she would have never imagined James wearing glasses for reading documents or writing. She looked at the handwriting on the paper - it appeared that he was in the middle of composing some kind of letter to another Admiral back in England. She put the spectacles back, having spotted the writing chest on a library table behind the chair. She went over and touched the open chest, finding that the ink bottle, quill, and blotting sand were on James's desk. She picked up the writing chest and found a set of stationery inside with plenty of paper. There was also a sealer, a dark blue wax candle, and a second sealed bottle of ink. She went to the desk and picked up the second ink bottle, the quill, and the bottle of blotting sand and placed all the articles back into the chest to make the set whole once more. She fastened the clamp that held the box closed and took one more look around before leaving.
After locking the door and replacing the key beneath the brick, Ayse looked up at the sky and noticed that the sun was going to be setting very soon. She'd wanted to stop by the bookshop and find some books about death or Calypso, if she were lucky enough, but she thought that she would have to save it for another day. Ayse began to hurry along the streets trying to beat the sunset. She knew that the Port Royal taverns got extremely rowdy at night beginning about this time, and James was undoubtedly starting to worry about her.
As Ayse hurried along, lighters were beginning to light the oil burning street lanterns along the main street as she ventured downtown. Raggedy people were beginning to come out as well as the rowdy, and beggars reached out toward her for food and money. She squeezed the writing chest to her bosom and quickened her pace, now becoming somewhat frightened.
Ayse rounded a corner and went down a less busy street. Suddenly, she had the feeling that it wasn't such a good idea as she just had a very bad feeling about being there. She suddenly felt the grab and pull of her arm. Startled, she screamed, turned, and took a closed-fist swing at whoever had her.
“Whoa, whoa, Miss!”
Ayse took a second look to find a handsome young lieutenant of the Royal Navy shielding himself from her fist. She saw his wide eyes peek at her from behind the forearm that was protecting his face. “Oh, my, Sir, I am so very sorry. You gave me a fright.”
The lieutenant relaxed. “It was not my intention to startle you, Miss, but you should not be out at this hour alone.”
“I know, Officer, but I am afraid I lost track of the time while I was out running an errand. It was my fault,” Ayse told him. “I'm glad you are here, though.”
“You are quite a runner, I must say, as well as tough. No doubt if you would have nailed me, that would have hurt,” he responded, offering an arm out to her. “Please allow me to escort you home, Miss, to be sure you will arrive safely.”
Ayse took his arm. “I am much obliged to you, Sir, and I thank you for your offer and time. I must say that I've never been out here this late.”
“And you should continue to exercise that restraint,” he responded, carefully guiding her around a mud puddle. “I am Theodore, by the way. Lieutenant Theodore Groves.”
Ayse dipped her head respectively. “Ayse. Miss Ayse Thomas. It is nice to make your acquaintance, Lieutenant.”
“Pray tell, what was it that you were doing so late?” he questioned.
“A friend of mine had a gift for me, so I ran over to get it. I should not have stayed as long as I did. It serves me right for being so naive.”
Theodore chuckled a little. “Oh, it's understandable, Miss Thomas. We all lose track of time at some point.” He felt Ayse gently pull on his arm to turn down another street and politely guided her in that direction. “I'm just glad I caught up to you. I thought I saw someone following you as you passed me by, so I turned around to make sure you would be alright.”
Ayse smiled softly at him. “I was very fortunate, indeed, then. Again, thank you.” She glanced at his uniform. “So…you're an officer of His Majesty's Navy, I take it?”
Theodore blushed but smiled nonetheless. “Indeed I am.”
“And who is your commanding officer,” Ayse asked. “I should like to tell him about the nice officer of his who went beyond the call of duty this evening.”
Theodore looked dreadfully proud as the pinkish blush gracing his features now turned to fire. Fortunately, it was dark and she couldn't see him turning shades. He reached a hand up and nervously adjusted his tricorn hat. “Well, I…heh…It was no trouble, Miss. Really. But…if you must know, my current commanding officer Admiral James Norrington has gone missing at sea, so Commodore Channing has taken over.”
Ayse pulled on his arm suggestively. “Oh, what a shame. I've never had the privilege of meeting Admiral Norrington as I've only lived here but a handful of months. But I've heard many good things about him through the grapevine.”
Lieutenant Groves looked somewhat uncomfortable talking about James, but he cleared his throat. “Admiral Norrington was a good and honorable man. I loved serving under him, and I am still in disbelief that he is gone.”
“Was he lost when you went out to quell the pirate uprising?” she asked.
“Supposedly,” he told her, “but he wasn't on my ship, though. He was commanding a different one.” They arrived at Ayse's door, and he turned to her, “though I do hope that he comes back as he did the last time he was lost. If he can survive a hurricane, I think he can survive anything.”
“Oh, my, a hurricane!” Ayse exclaimed.
Theodore chuckled. “Ha…yes. Perhaps…you should find me sometime and I'll tell you about it.”
Ayse gave his hand a squeeze. “Perhaps I will, Lieutenant. Thank you for taking me home. Good night.”
He watched her open her front door and bowed his head. “Goodnight, Miss Thomas.”
Ayse closed the door behind her and grinned. It seemed that Lieutenant Groves was just as pleasant to talk with as he was naïve. He was adorable, though. However, Ayse noticed that he didn't seem too comfortable when it came to talking about James, and she wondered why. Certainly James did not carry the type of demeanor that would deem him cruel or unfair to his crew, so an issue of vindictiveness was definitely out.
She hurried up the stairs to her room to put the writing chest under her bed for now and James's looking glass in a drawer in her nightstand. She hurriedly removed her hat, knowing it was near dinner time.
“My goodness, what took you so long?!” James asked worriedly. “You said you would be back with plenty of time!”
Ayse jumped but turned to him nonetheless. She was about to respond when her aunt came up the stairs and into the room. “Ayse! Do you have any idea what time it is?!” she demanded in a gentle but worried tone.
“Yes, Aunt Anne, I do, and I apologize. I let the time get away from me,” she told her sincerely.
“I was about to send your Uncle out to look for you,” Anne told her. “I'm sure you have been told that these streets are rather dangerous at night for ladies like us.”
Ayse nodded. “I was aware of that, Aunt. Fortunately, I had a very kind Naval Lieutenant walk me home this evening to be sure I was safe. I already got a lecture from him.”
“How lucky you were to have him along, then. Next time, do watch the time more carefully. Now hurry and wash up. Dinner is about to be served.”
“Yes, Aunt.”
“Who was it that escorted you home,” James asked as soon as Anne left and went downstairs.
“Lieutenant Theodore Groves. He was really kind to me.”
James smiled. “Ah, Lieutenant Groves. He really is a very good man with a splendid sense of humor. You were in good hands.”
Ayse smiled amicably. “Indeed. He talked about you. He said you survived a hurricane! My word, James!”
The mention of `hurricane' brought back sour memories for James as he recalled the screams of his drowning crew aboard the Dauntless as she sank to the bottom of the Caribbean while pursuing Jack Sparrow. He composed himself valiantly, not allowing those thoughts to surface on his visage. “Er…yes. It was quite a ride that wound up in tragedy, I'm sorry to say. It was not a shining moment in my career.”
“We all have less than admirable moments in our lives, James,” Ayse reassured him. “I'm sure it wasn't your fault, but those kinds of things happen. To err is human, my friend, and the best thing you can do is learn from it, pick yourself up, and move on.”
Once again, James was surprised by Ayse's intellect and wisdom. He forced a smile through the undeniable truth that the hurricane incident was his fault that cost innocent, dedicated lives. “Indeed, Ayse, indeed.”
She smiled. “If you will pardon me, I must be getting to dinner.”
“Of course. See you tonight.”