Pirates Of The Caribbean Fan Fiction ❯ Mirror, Mirror ❯ Gentleman Caller ( Chapter 8 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 8
 
Ayse made her way down the cobblestoned streets of Port Royal carrying James's rapier beneath her arm. She pushed open the heavy door to the blacksmith shop and glanced around inside. The building smelled much like that of a stable, except it had the obvious scent of hot metal, and…alcohol?
“H-hello?” Ayse called. She looked around once more. “I'd like some service if you please.”
There was no response, and the lady stepped farther inside. The shop was outfitted with a large raised brick hearth complete with two bellows to feed the soft coal fire and a hood to carry away the smoke. The bellows were operated by the mule in the center of the shop that was currently standing at rest. Ayse patted the mule on its head as she looked about for Mr. Brown, the blacksmith.
Ayse passed by the forge and anvil where she eventually found the blacksmith in the corner of the shop passed out on a pile of straw hugging a bottle of rum. She frowned distastefully at him and nudged his foot with hers. “Sir! Please awaken!”
Mr. Brown simply grunted and lulled his head from side to side, but he did not respond to Ayse's prodding.
Ayse scowled harder. “My word…how disgraceful…” She looked about her to find some way of waking the man up. Her eyes set upon a bucket of water. Immediately, Ayse seized the bucket and lugged it over to the sleeping man. She impetuously overturned it on his head, completely soaking the man to his skin.
The blacksmith jumped at the sudden wet chill that overtook him and let out a slight scream. “Aye! I'm up! I'm up!” He flailed as he managed to stand to his feet, staggering as he did. He turned to Ayse who glared at him impatiently. “Now what'd ye `ave to go off and do that for?!”
“I apologize for my brashness, but you simply wouldn't wake up, and I require service, Sir,” Ayse simply responded, putting the bucket down.
The blacksmith rubbed his eyes groggily. “Ye could have said something, Miss.”
“I did,” Ayse responded flatly.
“Well then what can I do for ye?”
Ayse held out James's sword. “Can you fashion a new scabbard for this lovely rapier and replace the gold filigree?”
Mr. Brown took the item from her and took a close look at it. It looked incredibly familiar… “Where did you find this, Miss?”
“I found it washed up on the beach near my residence,” Ayse told him. “I thought I would offer it as a gift to a friend of mine. Why do you ask?”
Mr. Brown shrugged. “It looks familiar, but then, I've forged many a sword in me time.”
Ayse offered a smile. “So can you clean it up, then? I shall pay you for your time for sure.”
“Aye, I can,” Mr. Brown responded. “How does two shillings sound?”
“A reasonable price,” Ayse responded. “May I throw in an extra shilling for sharpening as well, sir?”
“Aye, if that's what ye want,” he responded.
“Very well, then. When may I pick it up?”
He smiled toothily. “In about two days' time, miss.”
Ayse nodded. “Then I shall return in two days time with payment in full unless you require it now.”
He shook his head. “`Tis not necessary. I only demand pay when the work is done.”
“Well in that case, good day to you, then.”
Ayse left the blacksmith's shop and then headed for the book shop where she hoped to find some reading material on the afterlife - and perhaps some books for pleasure as well. She browsed the shelves for more than an hour, yet Ayse wasn't satisfied with anything the clerk had to offer this month nor could she find books on the afterlife or the occult. She sighed disappointed, but left knowing that she would probably have to wait for an opportunity to present itself to help James. But what opportunity could Port Royal possibly offer to help her friend out of an impossible situation?
As Ayse opened the front door to her home, Anne met her immediately. “My word, Ayse! Have you forgotten that we have company for dinner? Run upstairs and change into your best gown! Eloise and I must prepare the finishing touches to the table.”
“My apologies, Anne,” Ayse offered. “I shall be down shortly.”
Anne looked a bit harried, and Eloise rushed by with a vase full of flowers for decoration. Ayse went upstairs and closed the door behind her. Truthfully, she'd been dreading this dinner for most of the day, and she barely wanted to comply with her aunt's request.
“Ah, I see you have returned,” James remarked.
“I have indeed, but everyone downstairs is in such a rush to get things together for this gentleman,” she told him. “I've been asked to change into my best gown.”
“Ah, I see,” James put in. “You are to dress to impress I see.”
Ayse frowned and took out a light green gown with a low neckline and pretty lace ruffles on the sleeves. “Apparently.” She went behind her screen and began to take off her day gown. She shook out the sand from earlier that day from her petticoats and her stockings before pulling the gown onto her body. She laced up the front and tied the bow neatly. “I'm not looking forward to this in the least.”
“Oh, I'm sure it won't be all that bad, Ayse,” James remarked. “I think you'll be fine. Really.”
Ayse came out and stood in front of James. “And what if it isn't? What if he really is interested in taking me as his wife?”
“Then you have the option of politely declining if your uncle truly respects you and your father's wishes. A meeting doesn't mean anything is set in stone.” He paused to take a look at her. “And I might add that you look lovely.”
Ayse smiled pleasantly. “Thank you, James. Once again you flatter me.”
“Well I can only imagine that my image blocks your reflection, so someone must tell you whether you're put together or not.”
Ayse chuckled. “Well, I'm glad you're finally doing your job as my dressing mirror, James.”
“I beg your pardon?!” James interjected, feigning insult. He could tell by the mischievous gleam in her blue eyes that she was only joking with him. She was laughing at him merrily, and he crossed his arms. “Indeed!”
Ayse smiled at him. “I'll try to get this over with as soon as possible, James. Then perhaps we can talk more if I am able to retire early enough.”
“Oh, take your time,” he responded. “Don't be rushed on my account.”
Just then Anne called for Ayse. “Ayse! Are you ready?”
“Coming!” Ayse responded. She turned to James. “I'll see you in a bit.”
“Good luck.”
Ayse reluctantly left James behind and made her way downstairs to meet Anne. “I'm sorry, Anne. I rather had some trouble getting my dress to stay fastened.”
“Well, I'm glad you got it sorted,” she told her absently. “Please retire to the parlor while Eloise and I get dinner on the table. Your Uncle Edmund will be here with our guest soon.”
“Yes, Anne.”
Ayse went into the parlor to wait until dinner was served. She sat down upon a light blue sofa in front of a window with light blue drapes. The walls were paneled and painted white, and there was a lovely cabinet in the corner of the room. The wood floor was covered with a beautiful Oriental rug, and across from Ayse was a pair of chairs separated by a small end table in the middle. Between the chairs and the sofa upon which she sat was a lovely round coffee table that was suitable for taking tea. The room was topped off with several paintings on the walls and crown molding around the doors and the ceiling of the room.
Ayse folded her hands in her lap, and soon enough she heard the front door open in the foyer just off the parlor. She leaned over and looked to see her uncle enter followed by an older gentleman - a much older gentleman. Ayse straightened up and sat back on the sofa nervously. Surely this man had no intention of courting her. Perhaps James would be right after all.
“Ah, Ayse,” Edmund called, entering the room. He smiled at her. “I was hoping you'd be in here. I'd like you to meet someone.”
Ayse stood up respectively and clasped her hands in front of her.
“This is Mr. Alson Bradley.” He turned to the other man and stepped aside. “And this is my lovely niece, Miss Ayse Thomas.”
Alson held out his hand, and Ayse politely took it. The gentleman bowed, held it up to his lips, and kissed her knuckles, and she couldn't decide whether she should puke or blush.
“So this is the lovely young woman you have told me so much about, Mr. Thomas. Indeed she is just as exquisite as you have described.” He looked at her, still with her hand in his. “It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Miss Thomas.”
Ayse curtsied a little. “Indeed. `Tis nice to meet you as well, Mr. Bradley.”
“If you'll pardon me,” Edmund put in, “I will go attend to my wife and make certain that the dinner preparations are in place. Ayse, please show our guest into the parlor and entertain him until dinner is served.”
Edmund left, and Ayse and this stranger were left alone, and she wondered just what this man had been told. She led him into the parlor and had a seat on the sofa where she took a quick moment to look Mr. Bradley over. He was outfitted in a dark green gentleman's full suit with an ivory lace tie bunched about his throat. He wore white stockings, black shoes, and a white powdered wig with two curls tied back with a green ribbon that matched his suit. He was far older than Ayse, old enough to be her father, or perhaps even her grandfather.
“I must say that your family's home is most lovely, Miss Thomas,” he remarked as he sat down in one of the chairs.
Ayse took the other chair and folded her hands in her lap. “Thank you, Mr. Bradley. We are quite comfortable here.”
“Your uncle tells me that your father is out at sea as a…what was it again?”
“He is a trade merchant,” Ayse explained. “He sails on merchant ships to other colonies as well as to England to make trade deals and arrange shipments to the colonies.”
“Ah, I see,” Alston said. “I take it your father is quite successful with his endeavor.”
“Indeed he is,” she told him, “though I miss him a good deal. I look forward to receiving letters from him.”
“I'm certain you do, Miss Thomas. You must be quite lonely without him.”
“On the contrary, I have my aunt, my uncle and my cousin, and Eloise to keep me company. I fare just fine.”
He chuckled. “Ah but family is such a pleasant thing, isn't it, Miss Thomas? You can never go wrong with family. That is something I am afraid I don't have.”
“I'm sorry to hear. I thought for certain that you would at least have children or a wife to keep you company.”
“I'm afraid not,” he said. “I was married twice to very healthy and lovely women and twice they passed before they could ever give me children. `Tis a bit lonely to go about in such a large home without the companionship of a lovely woman.”
“I am very sorry to hear that, and I do hope that you find some nice lady to keep your company.”
“Indeed,” he remarked. Alston glanced over at Ayse. “May I add that your gown is quite flattering on you? You look lovely in that shade of green.”
Ayse inwardly blanched. While the compliment was well-intended, she wasn't sure whether it was innocent or not. She had been suspicious about this whole meeting to begin with, and now Ayse was really beginning to have cause for alarm.
Ayse smoothed out the wrinkles in her dress. “Uh..th-thank you, Sir.”
He smiled at her. “Are we a shy kind of young lady?”
“It depends on your definition of shy, Mr. Bradley.”
Just as Alston was about to say something, Anne came in to announce dinner and save Ayse from any further awkward conversation with this unfamiliar man. “Dinner is served.”
“Well! I suppose I shall show you to the dining room, Mr. Bradley!” Ayse said, jumping up in a hurry.
“Please, Miss Thomas,” he said, offering his arm out to her. “I would be honored.”
Ayse cleared her throat uncomfortably, but she complied and took his arm so that he would not be insulted. Anne and Edmund were waiting to seat themselves when Ayse and Mr. Bradley entered, and Eloise stood at the ready to begin serving the courses. Uncle Edmund seated himself at the foot of the table while Anne seated herself at the head. Mary soon entered the room and seated herself. Ayse found her chair at the table across from Mary. Mr. Bradley pulled it out for Ayse and waited for her to be seated before scooting her in.
“Thank you, Mr. Bradley.”
He smiled. “My pleasure, Miss Thomas.” He put his hand on the chair next to Ayse. “Would you mind if I sat here?”
“Um, no. Of course not,” Ayse responded agreeably. She was growing ever more suspicious of Mr. Bradley's interest in her, but she wasn't in any position to say anything. She simply sat patiently in her seat and waited for Eloise and her aunt to serve dinner from the entrees that were offered on the table.
Pleasant conversation, a toast of wine to the health, and dining followed for the next two hours, and Ayse found that this Mr. Bradley seemed all too eager toward her, and it made her rather uncomfortable. Yet she took his flirtatious advances in stride and graciously acknowledged him despite her reservations. Dessert was served, much to her relief, and she took another glass of wine as she polished off one of Eloise's delicious cakes.
“My, Eloise, you must really teach me how to make that chiffon cake the way you do,” Ayse told her. “It was simply decadent!”
Eloise giggled as she cleared away Ayse's plate. “Thank you, Miss.”
“Hear, hear,” Alston said all too eagerly. “I must agree with Miss Thomas.”
Edmund stood up. “Now that dinner is finished, Mr. Bradley, would you care to join me in the parlor for tea and conversation?”
“That would be nice. I thank you for your hospitality, Mr. Thomas.” He stood up but glanced down at Ayse. “Your company was most entertaining this evening, Miss Thomas. Truly you are a charming woman. If you'll pardon me, I will take tea with your uncle.” He smiled. “I do hope to see you again.”
Ayse wasn't sure what to say. “Well, I am certain that we shall, Mr. Bradley.”
Alston Bradley bowed at her before exiting to the parlor with Edmund.
“What did you think of her?” Edmund asked as Eloise brought in a tea tray.
“Indeed she is even lovelier than you described her. You have my word that she shall be well cared for, though it is unfortunate that she doesn't seem interested in me,” Alston responded.
“Ayse is quite headstrong, I'll warn you of that, but I am certain that one way or another, you will have her as your wife. She is getting too old to wait for marriage, regardless of what her father says.” He grinned wryly. “And I made a promise to throw her in as part of our deal after all.”
“But how will you convince her to wed me? I'm far older than she.”
Edmund swirled a cube of sugar around in his teacup and sat down in one of the parlor chairs. “Leave that to me, Friend.”