Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Seven Reasons to Live ❯ Let's Play Doctor ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

All right I finally got this one worked out. It is much better than the old version.
 
The wind was strong and cool as it rushed around her whipping her dirty blonde hair into her face. The sky was deep gray and the clouds were bloated with loads of unreleased water. Dagger had decided to take a walk along the beach because the oncoming storm had chased off all but the bravest of surfers. Occasional drops of rain would fall and leave dark pockmarks in the usually white sand around her feet.
 
She glanced out at the ocean now and again to marvel at the ever-increasing size of the waves as they crashed through the water. It was on one such glance that she noticed an old man, waist deep in the water, attempting, in vain, to recall a Pokemon to its ball.
 
She looked hard at where he was aiming and caught sight of a little white bird fighting to stay above the water. With no thought about her safety she raced into the cold ocean, fought her way past the old man, and struggled hard to swim in the Pokemon's direction. When she finally got close enough to get a good picture of the situation, she saw pale snaking tentacles wrapping around a Wingull and dragging it ever lower beneath the surface. She fought harder still to reach the little bird before it was lost beneath the waves. Right as it came within reach, the poor Wingull was dragged beneath. She later would marvel at the speed and strength, no doubt induced by an adrenalin high, she must have had to catch the little Pokemon and yank it from the grasps of its captor. She dove after it and pulled with all her might. As it came free she used the momentum to turn her body towards the beach and quickly began her long trek back to shore.
 
Now handicapped, because of having to hold the Wingull in one hand and tying to swim with the other, she attempted to use the strength of the waves to help push her towards her goal. For someone who wasn't the strongest swimmer in the first place it was hard going, but she was managing it the best she could.
 
She wasn't sure how long she had been going, but she knew she was closing in on her destination, when suddenly she was dragged beneath the water by her left leg. Her scream came out as air bubbles as the cold water closed over her head. Then she felt nothing, but pain. It was a stinging pain that raced up her left thigh and into her stomach. All thoughts of the little Pokemon she had come to rescue vanished along with everything, except getting to the surface for air and getting away from whatever was hurting her. Luckily the bird was ably to nab the back of her shirt and hang on as she struggled wildly to the surface and began her erratic swim towards the shore.
 
She couldn't think, couldn't see, and didn't have a clue how close or far the beach was. All she could do was feel. She could feel the pain in her chest that told her to continue breathing in air and she could feel the stinging torture that was her leg. Because of her loss of senses, she never saw the rocks looming in front of her on her wayward swim to safety, she felt the punishing crack of her head hitting against the boulders and the added affliction to her abused left leg as a jagged rock cleaved deep into her flesh. At that point the pain was too great and she blacked out.
 
When she woke she was laying on her back as the waves rushed around her. Some part of her mind dimly registered that it had started to rain and she could hear a man yelling from somewhere. She tried to sit up, but pain flooded to her head and after that it wouldn't go away. She again became aware once again of the pain in her leg, but it seemed whatever had grabbed her was gone, and now it had eased somewhat. A sidelong glance showed her she was bleeding rather heavily, but getting up to bandage it was out of the question. If only that man would stop his incessant yelling maybe she could think! He didn't stop yelling and she couldn't think, and again the pain was too much for her to take, so she blacked out a second time. The last thing she saw was a red blur flying above her body.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Dagger woke with a jerk, which unfortunately caused her to fall off the side of the bed and land unceremoniously on her butt. She grumbled angry words at the inventor of floors as she rubbed her sore bottom. She stood unsteadily and looked over the unfamiliar room. Needless to say she was momentarily confused, as the dream had left her with the distinct impression she had been injured and would wake up in a hospital. She quickly realized, however, that she actually had been dreaming, but was still confused because she knew she had not fallen asleep in a bed.
 
Seconds later it hit her that Mr. Briney must have taken her here to let her get some sleep before starting on her journey. It was a sweet gesture, but she didn't see it in quite that light. On the contrary she was very angry.
 
She trudged up the stairs and slammed the door open, before marching out on deck to give him a piece of her mind, but those thoughts vanished the second she saw him. He was sitting on the chair she had fallen asleep in the night before, and was watching, with a child's delight, as Fang and his Peeko showed off some aerial acrobatics for him. He clapped and laughed at the silly display and Dagger remembered that her anger was pointless. Not only would he listen politely to her ranting, but also he would laugh them off when she finished and not be bothered in the least by her anger.
 
So instead of her earlier plan of stomping out there and yelling at him, she calmly walked out and completely ignored all three of them as she bent to her bag and settled it on her shoulders.
 
“Oh, ho... So miss Dagger you finally decided to join the land of the living did ye?” he laughed at her dirty look, “Now stop your pouting dear, you know as well as I do you needed that rest and being angry does you no good! Now come join me and watch your friend, Fang! He is absolutely marvelous! Quick as the devil he is and he can turn on a wingtip!”
 
She growled at his happy go lucky attitude and glared at him. Her earlier plan from before to ignore him was forgotten, leaving her once again with her anger.
 
“Mr. Briney you know as well as I do that I have to leave as soon as possible. I should have left last night, but as someone made that impossible I have to go now. We could both be in trouble if we are caught!” she cried
 
“Dagger, dear you need to lighten up! We are safe and no one has found us, but, you are right, you should be on your way. Now come give me a hug then get off my boat.” he laughed
That didn't quiet assuage her anger, but she gave it up as hopeless and walked over to him grudgingly accepting his hug. They hugged for a long time before she broke it, gave him a kiss on the cheek, and started off the boat. He called his farewells as he started his journey home and she waved until he was nothing but a speck in the distance.
 
Fang and Dagger didn't stay long in Slateport; mostly because Dagger was worried someone would find them. It never occurred to her that the orphanage might not even know she was missing since they usually only saw her when she came home for dinner. Even if she did not show up tonight they may think nothing of it because she had stayed to eat at the Center more than once. It never dawned on her that it could be two or three days before they even realized she was missing.
 
So, because of her paranoia, Dagger stopped only to buy necessities, such as food, before starting on her journey to the next city. Perhaps it was fate that she was in such a rush to leave...
 
“Oh shut up! It's not my fault that I think like a human! If you hadn't noticed I was raised by them!”
 
“Yes and it is quiet obvious. Why do humans think that Pokemon can't feed themselves after being caught? It's not like they didn't live their entire lives on their own in the wild.”
 
“I'm sure I don't know! I didn't start the tradition! I guess they just assume it is their responsibility once they catch them.”
 
“Yes and then they go and breed these domesticated Pokemon that have to depend on humans for all their food and needs because they have never gotten the chance to learn to fend for themselves! Then what happens when a trainer decides he doesn't want them any more and abandons them? I'll tell you! They die!”
 
“Look I am sorry if asking what you eat so I could buy it offended you, if I had know you were going to blow a gasket I would never have asked! I don't know what Zubat's eat and I just thought it would be nice if you picked your own food instead of me picking something you don't like!”
 
“Well that's all well and good, but I am not even your Pokemon. Why would you feel the need to feed me? And I am sure that they wouldn't have carried Rapidash blood at that shop anyways.”
 
“I was going to buy it for you because I considered you and friend, you know a traveling companion, and I normally would buy food for my friend if he didn't have any money...Rapidash blood! You drink blood?”
 
“Of course I do I thought all humans knew that! That's why they always run from us in the caves and tell nasty little stories about us behind our backs. Of course they don't know how horrible their blood tastes, but it is fun to watch them scream when we show up.” he laughed
 
“Well I had heard that Zubat's drink blood, but I didn't believe it! I thought it was just a scary story the Islander's told their children to keep them away from the caves. Why, by the way, do humans taste so bad? And why only Rapidash blood?”
 
“Well humans taste bad because of all the chemicals the have in their blood. You don't only drink water or only eat plants or meat like Pokemon. Your food and drink gives the blood a bad flavor. I personally like Rapidash blood, I am not sure why, but it is my favorite. We all have our own unique tastes just like humans, for example I had a cousin who loved Charizard blood. He loved it so much he would drink nothing else. Found himself a den on a volcano inhabited by a few Charizard families and fought for his meals all day long. Needless to say it was funny to see him try and get even a sip from something that shoots fire first and asks questions later! Zubat would come from all over to watch him sneak his way over to one, and right when you think he's got it... BOOM it lets off a fireball. He eventually got rather good at getting his meals, but he has the burns to show for his failures.” he laughed
 
“You know I never really thought about Zubat, or any Pokemon for that matter, having favorites. Actually I never even wondered about what they ate... I wonder if anyone else has? I should really write this down later.” she mused
 
“Well speaking of blood I smell some.”
 
“You smell blood? Where is it?” she asked
 
“Up ahead. I think its coming from that rock... maybe something is hurt.”
 
Without a word Dagger swiftly made her way over to the rock and, at first, thought her eyes were deceiving her. As Fang had said there was blood, but it looked as if it were coming from a hole in the rock itself. On second glance, however, she realized her mistake as she discovered that it wasn't a rock at all. It was a really big Pokemon. A Rhydon.
 
“Oh so it's the rock that's bleeding then.” said Zubat
 
“Shut up. You know good and well it's not a rock.” she retorted as she checked the Rhydon over
 
“True, but it makes for a good nickname...”
 
“How can you be joking now?” she interrupted, “The poor thing is bleeding to death! Look I don't have the necessary tools or the training to fix it myself.” she said as she got out a roll of gauze and began wrapping the oozing wound on its nose, “I am going to have to go and get help. I need you to stay here and make sure no one gets too close, understand?”
 
“Sure I will, but I would hurry if I were you. It doesn't look too good.”
 
She gave the Rhydon one last looking over to make sure it had no other wounds she could bandage before wiping her bloody hands on her shirt and running off towards town to get Joy. Fang fluttered around the Rhydon fulfilling his guard duties, but it was hardly necessary because no one came anywhere near. He was having a hard time just flapping around the creature as its sweet smelling blood taunted him to take a taste, but he knew Dagger wouldn't like it if he fed on a helpless Pokemon, so he kept his distance.
 
She was back sooner than he expected because she had caught a ride with Joy in some vehicle. As soon as Joy was out of the car she promptly threw a pokeball at the Rhydon and caught it. With a quick explanation to the open mouthed Dagger that it was the safest and quickest way to transport a Pokemon as large as the Rhydon, Joy jumped back in the car. Dagger yelled at Fang to hop in, unless he wanted to be left behind, and the three were off at a break neck speed back to the center.
 
To Dagger's disappointment she was ordered to stay in the waiting room while Joy healed the Rhydon. She obviously couldn't say that she had worked for the Joy in Dewford because she didn't want to leave evidence of herself behind, but all the same it felt wrong to not be in there...
 
CRACK....BAM...
 
Well perhaps it was a good thing she wasn't in there after all... Seconds later the doors slammed open and a very harassed looking Joy ran out. She had blood on her hands and her apron, her hat had been knocked off, Dagger assumed, by whatever had caused that crash, her hair was popping out of its pins, and she had a deep, bloody gash running down her arm. Joy zoned in on Dagger and without a word dragged her into the emergency room. The beastly noise coming from back there hadn't lessened and helping Joy didn't seem all that appealing any more.
 
“I was able to stop the bleeding from the wound on her nose. I was about to get to work on her arm, but she woke up and started thrashing about. She ripped her arm free and got me good on the arm before my Chansey were able to restrain her. The Chansey can't hold a full grown Rhydon down for long and if she gets free and thrashes around again she might hurt herself, not to mention us.” explained Joy as she dragged a confused Dagger along after her.
 
“Wait!” said a frustrated Dagger, “I don't understand! What do you want me for?”
 
“Well obviously I was hoping you might be able to help! Maybe she will react differently to you or your Zubat. It's a long-shot, but it's the only possibility I can think of, short of calling in Jenny with a tranquilizer for It.” explained Joy as she led Dagger through the final doors into the Rhydon's room
The Rhydon was lying in the hospital bed being held down by six Chansey and some thick leather bindings. She was struggling for all she was worth to get free and it was obvious that the Chansey, who were not used to strenuous activity, couldn't keep her down much longer. The Rhydon had started screaming loudly in anger, but it was animalistic, it had no words that Dagger could decipher. The Chansey were encouraging each other through clenched teeth and Dagger knew something had to be done quickly.
 
So she quickly walked to the side of the Rhydon's bed then hesitated, not sure what to do. It seemed that she had done something inadvertently, however, as the Rhydon had quit struggling and looked up at her curiously sniffing at the air. The Chansey took this opportunity to relax a little, but did not let go.
 
“She can smell her blood on you and I think she recognizes your sent from the bandage you put on her wound earlier.” Fang told her
 
“Okay that makes sense I suppose.” she turned her attention back to the Rhydon. “I know you have been hurt, but all Joy wants to do is heal you now. Whatever happened before, well its over now, we can help you get better.” explained Dagger
 
“I do not trust that woman. Humans perverted my kind and turned them against me! They cut my horn off, my most important weapon. It is the symbol of my kind and without it, I am nothing and I am weak! You are different... You helped me to live and you can speak my language. You can heal me.” answered the Rhydon
 
“That doesn't make sense. Joy helped you too, more than I did in fact. What makes you think I am so special?” questioned Dagger
 
“You helped stop my bleeding while I was unconscious. You didn't try to completely heal me without my permission, and you didn't cause me any further pain. It is a sign of respect in my clan to keep the wounded only alive, until they are able to decide their own fates. I wish to be healed now whereas before I would have chosen death.” explained the Rhydon
 
“Don't judge all Pokemon by the crazy rituals of the Rhydon, most of us are sane and appreciate being healed, conscious or not.” said Fang, Earning himself a dirty look from the Rhydon and from Dagger.
 
“I guess I don't completely understand, but does this mean you will let Joy heal you now?” asked Dagger trying to get back on track
 
“NO! That woman will not come near me. You will heal me or I will not be healed.” hissed the Rhydon
 
Joy looked on in slight confusion as she heard a one sided conversation. It seemed that the girl was able to understand the Zubat and the Rhydon, but her logical side was telling her that was impossible. Whatever the girl was doing it seemed to be working, but the Rhydon didn't seem all that interested in letting anyone but the girl near her.
“Nurse Joy she isn't going to let you heal her. Is her arm wounded too bad for you to walk me through repairing it?” asked Dagger
 
“Well it's only dislocated and I am sure it wont be difficult to talk you through popping it into place and setting it in a sling.”
 
It didn't take long before they were finished and Joy had ordered the Rhydon left alone for rest. Dagger asked the Rhydon if she would stay in the bed and sleep and the Rhydon agreed on the condition that no one, except Dagger herself, was to go into the room. With that agreement in place, Dagger left the room.
 
Dagger was stopped by Joy in the hall and asked it they could speak for a bit after they both got cleaned up. Dagger agreed, but she got a horrible sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach, did Joy know she was a run-away? It only took Dagger a few minutes to clean her hands and change her bloodstained shirt, before she went to the lobby to wait for Joy. It took Joy a little longer because she obviously had to clean and wrap her own wound, but she was out soon enough.
 
“I need to talk to you about the Rhydon.” said Joy
 
Dagger thanked the every deity that might be watching when Joy said nothing about Dagger having run from home. The sinking feeling in her stomach disappeared and she was flooded with relief.
 
“Okay, what is it?”
 
“Well do you completely understand the Rhydon's situation?”
 
“Well if understanding the situation means that I know some bastard took her horn and left her for dead, then yes.” Dagger answered
 
“Okay well you have the simple version and I am not sure if you know of the consequences. First I want to give you a little lesson about Rhydon. The horn of a Rhydon is made of a material that is stronger than diamonds and therefore is a lot of money. The hide of a Rhydon is so strong that it can swim in streams of molten lava and feel no pain and it can withstand hits stronger than that of a cannon.”
 
“Wait.” Dagger interrupted, “Then how is it possible to steal a horn? Obviously they didn't cut it off, but if its hide is so tough then how were they able to cut into it for the horn?”
 
“You are a smart girl. That is exactly the point I was making. Only certain Pokemon have the ability to actually cut into the hide of a Rhydon. For example a Graverler or a Machamp, but both would need to put tremendous force behind their blows in order to be able to cut her. The only Pokemon I can think of capable of actually cutting the horn out, with so much coordination and so little need for power, is another Rhydon.”
 
`That's what she meant then when she said that humans perverted her kind and turned them against her!' thought Dagger “ The humans who did this to her trained a Rhydon to be able to cut her horn out, or at least to take their direction in doing it. No wonder she hates humans so much now.” said Dagger sadly
 
“Exactly the point I was getting to. The Rhydon hates all humans now, except you. You seem to actually be able to understand her in ways that I can't really understand, and I think you can control her. So I am going to ask you to take her with you on your travels.”
 
“What!? No, I am not a trainer. Plus I know she won't let me, she should be released into the wild again not given to me like a prize for saving her.”
 
“It's not like that at all! We can't put her back in the wild because she no longer has her horn and she is much too aggressive towards humans. Without her horn the other Pokemon will think she is defenseless and she will get continuous challenges for her territory, and while I am sure she could fight off many opponents, eventually she will lose. She will get continuously weaker and will eventually die. So that's reason number one why we can't return her to the wild. Reason number two is simpler. She hates humans. If she attacks humans she is unsafe and therefore will have to be locked up.” explained Joy
 
“So basically I take her or you incarcerate her for the rest of her life. What a choice... I wont just take her. She has to want to go with me. I need to talk to her.”
 
“Of course, but you can't do it tonight. She needs to sleep and so do you. The two of you can talk in the morning.”
 
With that Joy left Dagger with her thoughts as she headed off. Dagger slowly walked out, her thoughts troubled. How could this happen? Some people had to struggle hard to get Pokemon, especially one as powerful as a Rhydon! Then here she comes, with no intent to capture any, and two fall into her lap within two days. Not only that, but her plan of getting out of town quickly was completely ruined. It would be at least three days before she could even have a chance of leaving.
 
Fang met her as she walked into the waiting room.
 
“So what did you talk about?” he asked
 
“Well it turns out that I either have to take her with me or she gets locked up somewhere for the rest of her life.”
 
“So I take it the Rock is going to have to go with us then because of her sad lacking in people skills?”
 
“You just have to put it that way don't you? Well I guess your basically right even though your being completely insensitive, and quit calling her the Rock.”
 
“So how long are we going to be staying here?”
 
“I guess a couple of days. She won't be completely healed, but I can't stay any longer than that. Anyways I am going to get a bite to eat. Do you want to come with or are you going to go get something for yourself?”
 
“I will go with you, I prefer to hunt after dark anyways.”
 
By the time they got back to the center it was dark. Fang went out hunting and Dagger went off towards the beach. They both arrived at the center around the same time and it was very late. Fang tried to ask what Dagger had been doing, but she ignored his questions and hopped into bed. She pulled out a little book and began writing.
 
“What's that?” he asked
 
“It's for keeping my thoughts and too write stuff down that I learn.” she answered
 
Fang could get little more than grunts of acknowledgment out of her as he tried to make conversation. He quickly realized it was useless and decided he might as well get some rest. Fang fell asleep listening to the scratch of Daggers pen on the paper.
 
Dagger's Journal: Second Entry
 
It has been almost two days since I left Dewford. I have unintentionally gained a partner, possibly two, who are Pokemon. I never intended to have Pokemon with me, but I guess it is good to have companions. On my way out of Slateport I discovered a Rhydon who's horn had been taken by humans. It seems to really have hurt her more than just physically because the humans trained one of her own kind to cut the horn from her head. The mental scarring from that must be incredibly painful. I have to convince her to join me or she will be locked up somewhere for the rest of her life because she no longer trusts humans.
 
I have learned some interesting facts about Fang even though we have been together for only a short time. I have learned that they dislike human blood because of all the chemicals we consume in our food and drinks. Zubat even favor certain Pokemon over others for their blood, for example one may enjoy the blood of a Charazard while another may enjoy a Rapidash, and will often put themselves in great danger just to have their personal favorites.
 
I have also learned something strange about Rhydon. It seems that it is a custom among the Rhydon to do nothing for the wounded, but keep them alive, until they make a conscious decision to live or die. Zubat made it clear to me that most Pokemon do not share this custom when he expressed his opinion that it was barbaric.
 
Learning these things only makes me realize how very little I know and how very much I wish to learn. Oh yeah and I just realized I have the ability to understand Pokemon, how much more random can things get.
 
Aurelia is coming along nicely.
 
End Second Entry
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
The next morning Dagger woke in the normal routine of nearly jumping out of her skin and ripping the covers off to look at her left thigh. She could still feel a dull pain from the memory of the dream as she stared at her scarred leg. When she remembered where she was she rolled out of bed and quietly got dressed. She hoped to get to Rhydon's room without waking Fang. She was sure he would follow if he figured out where she was going, and she didn't think he would be all that helpful if he continued to call her the Rock.
 
She got lucky and made it to Rhydon's room without waking Fang. Now all she had to do was convince a human hating Rhydon to follow her around. She wasn't sure how difficult this was going to be because the Rhydon seemed to think of things in her own unique way. She took a deep breath and walked into the room. The Rhydon was awake and was staring at Dagger as she walked over and sat next to the bed.
 
“I need to talk to you about something. Is it okay if we talk now or do you want me to come by later?” asked Dagger
 
“Now is fine. I need to speak with you as well.” she answered
 
“Okay good, how about you go first.”
 
“I wish to travel with you.”
 
Maybe this wouldn't be so difficult after all.
 
“I can protect you and in return I want you to train me. I want you to help me learn the most effective methods to protect myself without my horn. I also wish for your help in finding the humans who did this to me.” she continued
 
“Well actually I came here to ask you to join me anyways so of course we can travel together, but you must understand I might not be the best person to train you. I am not a Pokemon trainer, but I will gladly help you in any way I can.” answered Dagger
 
“Good, then we are in agreement.”
 
“We are going to have to leave in no more than two days. I understand you won't be completely healed by then, but we will have Fang for protection and we can keep the pace slow.”
 
“I will be fine, but I wouldn't depend on the little flying rat for too much protection if I were you.”
 
`Great I can see where this is going already. That's all I need, an insensitive Zubat calling a Pokemon fifty times his size “the Rock” and a very big and powerful Rhydon picking fights back by calling Fang a “flying rat”.' thought Dagger
 
“Well then I guess we are all set then.” she sighed, “ Well everything, except I don't know your name... mine is Dagger.”
 
“My name is Rye.”
 
Hope you enjoyed. Review and tell me your thoughts, even the mean ones. Next chapter you can look forward to a battle. What will Dagger do when she has to help her Pokemon battle, even though she has no experience in the area of battles and doesn't know all the attacks her companions are capable of? Doesn't sound like she has a chance, but surprises come when least expected.