Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ First to Victory ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Pokemon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First to Victory: Chapter 1
The sun shined brightly over the route leading to Pallet Town. It was a beautiful day for a Pokemon battle, which was just what two trainers were partaking in…
“Umbreon, use agility!” a female trainer called out. The moonlight Pokemon moved quickly in hopes of confusing its opponent.
The opposing Pidgeotto hovered in one place in the air doing its best to watch the speedy Pokemon it was combating. “Pidgeotto, slow it down with gust,” the male trainer yelled. The Pokemon obey with speed and began to whip up a fierce wind.
The female trainer smirked. “Confuse Ray!” she ordered with no hesitation. Umbreon’s eyes glowed as it launched the attack toward the bird Pokemon.
“Ah, Pidgeotto, close your eyes!”
“Quick Attack!” Before the other trainer knew what was happening, his Pidgeotto was hit hard by the fast moving Umbreon, knocking the bird to the ground.
“No, Pidgeotto,” the trainer ran to his Pokemon to check on it. It was clearly unconscious. He calmly took out a Pokeball. “Good job, Pidgeotto, you deserve a rest,” he said returning the Pokemon to its ball. “I still can’t beat you, Marisa.”
“You’re getting better though, Evan,” Marisa said stroking her Umbreon. “Keep up your training and you should do well in the Pokemon League.”
“How can you say that when I can’t even beat you? You aren’t even competing,” Evan spoke, clearly irritated by the whole thing.
Marisa stood up and pulled out a Pokeball. “I’ve been training a lot longer then you have. You should trust me when I tell you that you are getting better.” She returned Umbreon to its Pokeball. “And now I better get going. Professor Oak is waiting for his package after all.”
“I want a rematch next time you’re free,” Evan demanded.
Marisa laughed. “Fine with me, I’m always ready for a battle,” she replied before heading down the road toward Pallet Town. There were times when Marisa wondered why she put up with the young trainer, but then she would remember that she did not really have the largest pick of trainers since she was primarily around Pallet Town most of the time. Researchers and rookie trainers seemed to be the primary tourists that wandered into the area. Occasionally a strong trainer would show up, but it was not very often.
The truth was very simple. Marisa was bored. She loved working with Professor Oak and learning all she could about Pokemon, but her dream was not to be a researcher like the Professor. She wanted to be a trainer, but circumstances kept her from fulfilling her dream.
A loud sigh escaped Marisa’s lips as she thought about her life prior to meeting Gary and Professor Oak. Her actions then put her in danger. She did not want to make a public name for herself until she knew for sure she was safe.
The remaining trip back to Pallet Town was a quiet one. Even though it was such a nice day, very few people were out on the roads. Marisa could only assume that people had better things to do then travel. She knew that she did. When she got back to the lab, the first thing she was going to do was groom her hard working Pokemon and let them run around with the rest of their friends. Later that night, she would do some night training with a few of her weaker Pokemon. She was going to fall back into her routine until the Professor gave her a new task to accomplish.
“Hello, Marisa,” a voice called out.
Marisa stopped walking and smiled at the women that greeted her. “Hello, Mrs. Ketchum,” she said kindly. “Working hard?” Delia Ketchum was holding a gardening spade in her hand indicating that she was gardening.
“Oh yes, the weather is wonderful today. I don’t suppose you ran into Ash on your way back to town, did you?”
Marisa shook her head. “Was he in town again?”
“He was, but only for a day. He said he was heading for Viridian, so I thought maybe you would finally be able to meet him.” In the two years that Marisa had spent in Pallet Town, she had never met the Pokemon trainer. They always seemed to miss each other. He always seemed to show up when she was off on some errand for Professor Oak. Just once, she wished to meet him. Everyone in Pallet Town talked of Ash Ketchum and his many accomplishments, so she wanted to meet him and hopefully battle him and find out for herself just how great he really was.
“I guess it just wasn’t meant to happen,” Marisa remarked. “One day we’ll meet.”
“I am sure you will become good friends,” Delia said bending down to mess with something in the garden.
“We’ll see,” Marisa commented. “I have to get going, have a good day, Mrs. Ketchum.”
Marisa resumed her walk toward the Pokemon lab. It wasn’t that much further now. She could actually see the windmill next to the lab, which helped bring the lab power if an outage occurred, though Marisa was sure the electric Pokemon in the lab could assist with charging a generator if needed. She had no problem letting her electric types do such a thing if need arises. The way she saw it, they would be getting a form of training… just like the form of training she was getting walking up the steps toward the door. Even after 2 years, Marisa still hated the stairs to the lab and only those stairs. She never understood why the Professor insisted on keeping his lab on a hill.
After reaching the top, Marisa pushed open the door and walked inside. As usual, there was no one there to greet her. She suspected the Professor was working on something and Tracy was most likely watching the Pokemon out in the fields. “Professor Oak!” she called out as she walked toward the lab.
“Ah, Marisa, you’re back,” the Professor answered sticking his head out the door Marisa was heading for.
Marisa pulled a small package out of her bag and held it out. “Yeah, and I brought the package you asked me to pick up.”
“Good, good. Now if you don’t mind, could you make some tea and meet me in the living room? You can set the package on the table,” the Professor requested.
“Of course,” Marisa replied before doing as Professor Oak requested. He clearly wanted to talk with her. Most likely he wanted to discuss something he wanted her to do. It was not unusual for her to be sent right back out after returning.
When Marisa came out with the tea, she found the Professor already seating on one of the couches and the package gone. Marisa set the tea cups on the table and poured the tea before taking a seat across from Professor Oak.
Rather than wait for Professor Oak to start, Marisa took the initiative, after all, she wanted to work with her Pokemon. “So, what job do you have for me now?” she asked picking up her cup of tea. “Deliver a package or picking one up, or do you have something new for me?”
The Professor picked up his own cup. “Ash was here while you were away and brought news you may find interesting.”
Marisa sipped her tea. “What kind of news?” she questioned slightly curious by the start of the conversation.
“A number of high ranking members of Team Rocket were arrested,” the Professor calmly told her.
Marisa coughed on her tea. “What!” she exclaimed unsure if she heard Professor Oak right.
“One of Team Rocket’s bases was discovered and with the assistance of a number of Pokemon trainers, including Ash, the police were able to overcome the members and make a series of arrests,” Professor Oak explained.
Marisa knew where the Professor was going. Team Rocket would most likely quiet down for a few months while readjusting plans and breaking out or silencing the arrested members. That meant it was doubtful they would waste anymore time looking for a trainer that stole from them. This was the opening she was looking for.
“I am certain you understand what this means,” Professor Oak continued. “You don’t need to remain in hiding now.”
“You’re right,” Marisa said leaning back. “I’ll still need to be careful since my face is probably known, but if there were any groups searching, they have probably been withdrawn.”
“What are you planning to do?”
Marisa did not miss the knowing tone in his voice. “I’ll leave. I’ve always wanted to complete and now I have the chance. I’m not going to waste this opportunity.”
The Professor nodded. “Your extra Pokemon are welcome to remain here while you travel. Just as I’ve done with other trainers, I will send you those that you need when you ask me to.”
“Of course, you’re the only one I trust with them and naturally, I’ll do my best to assist you with your Pokedex research,” Marisa said standing up. “And I think I’ll get ready for the journey. I need to decide what Pokemon to take, pack my bag… I better get busy if I’m going to leave in the morning.” Marisa’s mind was working overtime as she thought about all she needed to do. She could not waste any time.
~~~~~~~
Marisa looked at herself in the mirror. Her eyes skimmed her outfit. A snug black ball cap sat on her head with her black ponytail sticking out the back. A black t-shirt snuggly fit over her torso, showing off her womanly curves, while a jean jacket went over the top. Black fingerless gloves covered her hands and light blue jeans protected her legs. Around her waist was her Pokeball belt, complete with 6 Pokeballs, and a small tan pack attached. Finishing her outfit was a pair of blue and white running shoes. The outfit was comfortable and she felt like she looked the way a trainer should.
The Pokemon Trainer turned and picked up her blue backpack before heading for the door. She was ready to get going. This journey had always been her dream. In fact, she decided to mimic Ash’s journey through the Kanto region gyms in hopes of better understanding the well-known trainer. Even though people might suspect her of disliking the other trainer, she actually respected him. He gave her a goal to reach just like others around her had.
Marisa left her room and headed downstairs where Professor Oak and Tracy were waiting. She was very grateful toward the Professor for all he’d done for her over the past two years. He had given her and her Pokemon a place to stay and accepted her with little knowledge of her past. She owed him a lot that she would most likely never be able to repay.
Farewells were done quickly since everyone knew they were not going to be for long, nor forever, after all, Marisa was still keeping Pokemon at the lab and as long as they were there, she would be returning. In reality, she was only leaving physically. They would see each other over the phone when she called to check in. Good bye was more of a formality than anything else. It probably would have been a bigger deal if she was 10 like most that left Pallet Town, but she was 18 and she’d already been out traveling before. Besides that, she had no family in Pallet and she honestly did not know where her family was at the present time. All she had to see her off was Professor Oak and Tracy, not that she minded. The fewer the people, the faster she was able to get on her way.
A light breeze hit Marisa as she stepped out the lab door. It was a nice day for a trip and she was going to make full use of it. If things went her way, she would be in Viridian City in time for lunch.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Please review.