Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Just to Satisfy ❯ Look Out For ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not claim any of the Pokemon characters used in this chapter, because they are all property of Satoshi Tajiri and I haven't stolen the rights from him yet. I bet he has people try that all the time, actually; probably has to have bodyguards and stuff.
 
 
.
 
 
Another day in the company of Blade had started out just as splendid as the day before-as in it didn't go well at all. Getting splashed with water was not how she wanted to wake up, but it seemed he had found it a fitting way to rouse the hero of the world. As she spluttered and shook herself as dry as she could, he brought in her mail and ignored her silent fury as he sorted through it again, picking out missions for the distant Frosty Forest where the sun was always hidden behind clouds packed with snow. “How nostalgic,” she commented sarcastically, and he only snorted softly before grabbing their pack and heading out the door, ignoring her dark mutters as they traveled to town to pick up supplies once more. Before they finished crossing the bridge, though, they unfortunately met a familiar ghost with his teammates behind him. She raised an eyebrow at the sight of the finally complete Team Meanies and asked incredulously, “They actually kept up?”
 
“Kekeh, no,” Gengar snorted, jerking a thumb behind him and correcting, “I waited for them.” As the two gave him sour looks for calling them out, he eyed the absol that stepped slightly in front of her, matching Blade's cold gaze with his own. Never taking his eyes off of him, he observed mockingly, “So you've got a new bodyguard? Strange choice, I've got to admit. Kekeh, he doesn't look fit to fight a weedle, let alone anything threatening.
 
Blade's eyes narrowed dangerously at the insult, and before Kitty could point out that he had been with her to Sky Tower he snarled acidly, “Like you?” Snorting at the idea and looking content with the scowl that crossed the ghost's face, he motioned for Kitty to follow him to Kangaskhan's storage and shouldered them roughly to get past. The black fox hurried after him, casting a glance behind her at the disgruntled look on Gengar's face before turning to watch her new partner's stiff strides, amazed at the anger she saw rolling off of him in waves. Holy-I don't need Sakura's insight to see how pissed he is. This is a first. She mulled over the idea that Blade was just as annoyed by the ghost as she was, and then wondered why. I don't think he's done anything to him . . . has he?
 
She jumped when he spun around to examine her confused expression, and he quickly cooled down as if he had just realized how expressive he was being. He turned away as if to avoid her gaze and went off at a much calmer pace, smoothly asking her as if the last few minutes hadn't occurred, “Think you'll be warm enough in the snow?”
 
She blinked, baffled by the sudden question. “Uh, yeah,” she stuttered, “but I think the more important question is “what the hell was that?” Did Gengar ruffle your fur or something?” She winced when he cast a glare over his shoulder before realizing he wasn't looking at her, and she followed his gaze towards the figures of Team Meanies down the road as she stopped herself from questioning him any further. Seems I've hit a sore spot.
 
“It's not my fur he's ruffled,” he muttered unexpectedly, facing forward once more as he quickened his pace towards Kangaskhan. Kitty halted in her tracks and watched him go, eyes widening when she finally understood where all of his anger towards Gengar came from. He's not looking for revenge for himself . . . he's looking out for me.
 
 
.
 
 
Theme: Vengeance
 
Lots of dragon-y love (and cookies!),
~DL (“Dragon Lover”)