Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Just to Satisfy ❯ Nostalgia ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not claim any of the Pokemon characters used in this chapter, because they are all property of Satoshi Tajiri and I haven't stolen the rights from him yet. I bet he has people try that all the time, actually; probably has to have bodyguards and stuff.
 
 
.
 
 
“Thank you, miss,” the ariados sighed, giving her the best bow he could as a spider, “for finding Heracross . . . again.”
 
Kitty giggled at the quiet frustration that was barely hinted in his voice, understanding that he probably worried for his daughter more and more as she got herself lost more frequently. She was sure it was inevitable that he would care so much for her, being her father, and she couldn't help the admiration she felt for his devotion to his family, even with the knowledge that most fathers would do the same. It was refreshing to see a spider do it, she supposed, after being a human with a mother who absolutely hated spiders; it was like a “in your face” moment that she would mentally hold towards her mother, and a nostalgic smile touched her lips at the idea of her mother's reaction. She wouldn't appreciate it, I'm sure. Dragging herself from her thoughts to focus on Sherlock, she tried to wave away his thanks as she always did with her clients, saying lightly, “It's my job, and I'm always happy to reunite a family.” Especially since I know the feeling, she added silently.
 
His pincers clacked together in earnest as he pressed on, “I can't find words to express my gratitude, really. I am forever in your debt.” As she protested this, he glanced at the blue-shelled child basking in the sunlight and enjoying the sweet aroma of flowers, and his expression softened as he watched his daughter enjoy herself while the adults talked. “I don't know what I would do without her.”
 
Feeling a bit uncomfortable with this touching display, she swallowed hard to dislodge the lump in her throat as she carefully told him, “Well, I'm always glad to help. Take care, Ariados.” Turning to the child as she came running with flowers in her claws, she smiled and used a paw to affectionately nudge her arm. “Try not to get into anymore trouble, okay?”
 
Wide eyes considered her curiously before surrendering a quick nod, and she looked to her father to see amusement twinkling in his eyes. “You're leaving?” She looked oddly sad at the prospect, and she hurriedly handed her a daisy as if to give her a gift to remember her by, carefully placing it on the umbreon's head and petting her ears in admiration. Backing away from the dark-type, Heracross glumly waved in front of the billboard where rescuers received payment for their jobs-but the umbreon had refused to take their imbursement this time, feeling their company was all she needed. “Bye, Kitty-Kitty!”
 
Breaking away from the father-daughter duo to start on her way back home, Kitty couldn't help the sadness that tugged at the corners of her mouth and eyes, threatening to reveal her distress to the villagers she passed in the fading light of the sunset. He keeps reminding me of my own father. The resemblance, other than the obvious physical differences, is almost painful. Trying to think of happier things to distract herself from her nostalgia, she only succeeded in pulling her attention from reality and ended up bumping into a tall, thin figure that squawked in surprise before whirling around to scold her. “Sorry,” she told Medicham, her voice quieted with the memories of her family, and she carefully passed her to continue down the dirt path out of town. The fighter wasn't having any of that, however, as she forcibly whirled the fox around to give her a stern glare.
 
“Watch where you're going! You could've knocked me over or made me drop something!” She was obviously furious at the hero's carelessness, but it was quickly overwhelmed by curiosity when she received no verbal response. Kitty just ducked her head in silent apology, and Medicham crossed her arms with a small huff as her efforts to rile her up were wasted. “What's your problem?”
 
Flashing a bittersweet smile up at the fighter, Kitty gave a half-shrug and tried to lose her assailant's attention by answering casually, “Nothing, really. Just feeling homesick, that's all.” Satisfied when there wasn't a spark of interest in Medicham's expression, she turned and waved her tail halfheartedly in farewell, mumbling, “See ya.” Before she could take more than two steps, however, her way was blocked by a familiar purple wall, and she stopped in an instant as she heard Ekans' rattle coming up behind her. Glancing around to see all of Team Meanies assembled in a triangle, with her in the middle, her shoulders sagged as she figured she wouldn't be escaping easily this time. Joy.
 
Gengar was the first to speak up, although his confident smirk was strangely absent this time. “Keh, what's got you moping about? You look like your pet just died.” She snorted quietly at the assumption, although it was an accurate description of her demeanor, and he ventured curiously, “Did you finally realize I wouldn't stop bothering you?”
 
Half-amused half-annoyed at his suggestion, she muttered, “Actually, I figured that out a long time ago. I'm just a little nostalgic today, that's all.” Then, the absurdity of the situation came to her with a click, and she furrowed her eyebrows as she stared at him warily. “Why do you care, anyways?”
 
A smidgeon of his normal confidence returned to him, and he grinned smugly as he taunted, “Kekeh, I wanted to make sure you weren't still sulking over the fact that I saved you not too long ago.” Fully expecting the snub to get an angry huff out of her, his grin swiftly dropped when she only gave a resigned sigh at his insult. “Uh, are you sure your pet didn't die?”
 
“I haven't had a pet in years,” she mumbled mostly to herself, and then straightened up to try to shake off the depression she felt coming on. The last thing I need is to start crying in front of them. “And it's nothing, really. Don't need to suddenly start caring or anything.” Summoning what remained of her frustration towards the ghost and letting it leak into her body language, she started back down the road and roughly pushed past him much like Blade had done before to go in the opposite direction, holding her head high to prevent further questions. When she heard footsteps trailing after her, she gave Gengar a sharp glare in warning, but his next words caused her to pause in her retreat.
 
“Want some hot tea?”
 
She frowned at the offer, searching his expression for a hint of an elaborate plan to torture her through the evening, but nothing in his face hinted towards an ulterior motive as his teammates watched silently. Mulling over the idea and inwardly groaning when the thought of a warm drink caused her to shiver in anticipation, she turned to fully face him with a reluctant scowl. Only tea could win me over so easily.
 
One cup.
 
 
.
 
 
Theme: Breaking Away
 
Lots of dragon-y love (and cookies!),
~DL (“Dragon Lover”)