Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ One Voice ❯ The End ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

I think this is the last chapter. Phew! *Dies*
Disclaimer: Pokemon belongs to Nintendo and Shogakukan Comics. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me under international copyright laws and taking it is plagiarism. Thank you. *Phantomness bows*
Notes: <> for telepathy, ** for thoughts, italics if a pokemon talks
Chapter 10
 
For many long moments, Ash was silent. Shaking, he gathered up the Sword and Shield. He wasn't sure why he even cared. Lance was evil, wasn't he? Wasn't….
The part of his mind that had been in shock, life after life after life, was screaming. And now that Lance was dead…
Ash fell to his knees as the memories washed over him, the true memories, both joyful and sad, and he groaned as he realized what damage his doubt and misplaced trust had wrought.
Marianne was dead now. Probably. He hugged his knees to his chest as he rocked back and forth, not even having the ease of time to soothe the pain out. Oh Lance
What have I done?
 
But it wasn't my fault, one small part of him protested. He deceived me. He gave me false memories. He didn't tell me who he really was…
He did it to protect me, didn't he? Ash realized. Because he was weak, no matter how tough he thought he was. He eyed the Sword and Shield, and almost burst into tears again. The Sacred Weapons were only born from the death of a guardian, so both Lance and Charlotte had died…
What had he done?
 
< Well, this is a pretty sight. > A sarcastic voice spoke. Ash whipped around, seeing a man in an elegantly cut white suit with long white hair and dark blue eyes. He swallowed.
Lugia…
< Happy now, little Guardian? > Lugia asked. < You can still save the world. It doesn't matter what happened before, does it? >
“I…I…” Ash began, but Lugia shook his head.
< You can spare me the theatrics. My Child is dead. I hope that you are happy. >
“Happy?” Ash blurted out. “How could I be happy?”
< You still have Marianne. > Lugia said dryly. < I daresay you'll be grateful she's a nice, normal woman. After all these experiences, perhaps you should settle down. >
Did that mean…?
 
< The Council has decided. > Lugia said coldly. < You have failed. You have not the purity or the strength to walk alone. You have not the compassion or the keen cunning to see beyond. Therefore, you are to be stripped of your guardianship. Your memories shall never trouble you again. Your power will never rise again. The remaining two Guardians can carry on alone. >
Ash goggled at Lugia, unable to comprehend the magnitude of this decision. His mouth opened and closed like a fish, but no noise came out.
< You should be happy. You can finally have that normal, mundane life you so ardently desire. You shall never be troubled again. We can easily write your fate-line to be soft and you'll not see any of your former acquaintances. It is quite convenient for us all… Of course, Serebii is disappointed, but the test was fair. >
“But that's…”
< It is quite troublesome. > Lugia agreed. < Several of us will need to rewrite the prophecy, and others to damp the Chosen. They have far too many important memories to erase, but perhaps, if they are emotionally empty, they will not have your presence distracting them from their duty. >
Ash wanted to cry. He wanted to scream, but he knew that neither of those things would do any good.
Was it really so simple?
Was he really just a pawn?
That was what Lance had been trying to tell him, wasn't it? And Lance wouldn't have raped Charlotte, ever…
But he hadn't tried to see beyond. They were brutally honest. He was too shallow, too superficial…
He hadn't seen the despair or the love in Lance's eyes, and he hadn't seen the truth behind the lie.
He really was unfit for duty.
But to never see Lance again, to never remember him, to never know what it was like to be loved unconditionally like this… that was too much!
 
Lugia watched impassively. Of course, there was one factor he had neglected to mention. If Ash truly wished to bring Lance and Charlotte back, it was simple. All he had to do was wake Hope or the Master of Hidden Shadows.
He doubted the boy would think of that though…
He moved past Ash and frowned at Lance's corpse, before he focused and the shimmering pale blue light of a coffin climbed around his body, sealing him inside. It was a pity Lance could not sleep in Sleep of Death, but had endured such agony…
His poor Child…
 
Ash was silent so long that it took the prickling of danger before he realized what had happened. He stared at the last one, the Chosen One, who had killed himself with the Sacred Sword, before he sighed.
Well, that was different.
He wondered if Serebii would accept this sacrifice.
 
Apparently she did, as she did favor Ash immensely. However, Lugia was gratified to see that when she wrote the fate-lines, some things would remain unchanged. He would block Lance's memories himself, and hope that this time, things were better.
What else could he do?
 
Somewhere, a child cried.
 
End Chapter
End Fic
Completed 8/2/07
Legendary pokemon can be bastards too! And I think they were pretty harsh on all the guardians… not just Ash! I feel sorry for Lance the most!
Lance: …
Phantomness: *Shrug*
Ash: *Clings to Lance*
Shoyko: *Dog-paddling in a lake of tears* Why did you write more angst? Why?
Phantomness: Because I felt like it. Hope I'm over the angst kick now. Fic complete!
Shoyko: *Sweatdrop*