Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Orange League Primer ❯ Orange League Primer - Secure Projects Section ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Orange League Primer - Secure Projects Section
Version 1.0
by: bsmart aka Tiek Mo Shet

The Orange League is my property of bsmart. The Primer and the information contained there in are sole property of bsmart and any changes to it must be approved by him. This document is rated R for its subject matter. This document and this version there of supersedes any previous Orange League Primer.

=================================

04/15/298

Accessing Secure Data Files...

Verifying Security Clearance...

Clearance Accepted.

Files Accessed.

All files classified as "Top Secret: Eyes Only" do not reproduce or distribute under penalties outlined in L54.32A Section 7.

3 Primary and 7 secondary databases accessed.

Displaying Compiled Data File.

Secure Operations of the Orange League

I. Harvester Program

A. History
In 262 A.S. Prime Minister Durlon and the Orange League ruling council approved National Commader Orlav's Project Scythe initiative, a broad ranging collecting of plans and operations meant to strengthen the Orange League militarily. Since that time most of what was proposed in Project Scythe has fallen by the wayside, dismissed as either too costly or unfeasible, however special project 837 has far exceeded even commander Orlav's hopes.

Special Project 837, colloquially know as the Harvester Program was initially conceived as a method to acquire more high level pokegirls for the Orange League military. The catastrophe of 20 A.S. had wiped out most of the local feral population of pokegirls. The immigrants that later came to the islands from other leagues typically brought only tame, domestic type pokegirls with them. While feral populations had increased and high level pokegirls were becoming more common their numbers were still too low. In order not to fall behind other leagues Special Project 837 was conceived.

In its initial form Special Project 837 was intended to train small teams of talented tamers to infiltrate other leagues and capture as many highly evolved, militarily useful breeds as possible. Initial trials conducted proved to be highly successful and the project was ramped up significantly. The first several years were conducted with relatively conventional means, the tamers carrying as many pokeballs as they could with them along with them. This method was less than ideal however because it required physically handing off the pokeballs and kept the harvesters confined to locations near convenient drop off points. They were also limited in the number of pokeballs they could carry.

A significant improvement in the Harvesters gear occurred in 276 A.S. with the introduction of the PMSD. The Portable Mass Storage Device. A man carryable device that operated on the same principle as the long term storage systems of the Leagues. This shoe box sized device was linked to a specially modified pokeball, when used to capture a pokegirl the 'ball would automatically transfer her to storage in the PMSD. The initial PMSD was limited to carrying 50 pokegirls but it significantly reduced the Harvester's load. Hand off of captured pokegirls could take place at longer intervals allowing the tamers to roam farther from the drop off points and the PMSD could more easily be disguised as another piece of equipment unlike the small hoard of pokeballs previously carried.

Since its introduction the PMSD has been continually improved until the Mk.VIb version carried today. Still shoebox sized the device can hold up to 120 pokegirls and unlike older versions that had to be in physical contact with another PMSD to transfer the captures, the Mk.VIb can transfer pokegirls with a line of site data link. This has allowed the harvesters to range across entire continents, limited only in how far an Orange League flying pokegirl could travel with another PMSD to link up with them.

The introduction of the PMSD also heralded a shift in Special Project 837's goals. Initially meant to only collect high level pokegirls of interest to the military, with the increased storage capacity of the PMSD it was decided to expand the scope of the project to include types of interest to industry and the general public.

Since its introduction the Project has dramatically increased the number of high level pokegirls in the Orange League as well as added a significant stream of industrially useful pokegirls.

B. Goals
The primary goal of the harvester program was initially to secure a consistent supply of high level pokegirls useful to the military while at the same time denying them to other Leagues. Since the introduction of the PMSD this scope had been broadened to include industrially useful pokegirls. Harvester teams are specifically tasked with tracking down these pokegirl types and capturing them.

C. Personnel
Harvesters are chosen from the ranks of tamers who have completed boot camp, the commanding officer of the camp will assess graduating recruits for potential harvesters. Recruits judged to be suitable will be sent to the Camp Eva facility for additional training. A six week training course at Camp Eva will ensure that the tamers and their harems are prepared for their responsibilities. The training is every bit as rigorous as initial tamer training with a 40% failure rate evenly split between wash outs and those requesting reassignment.

If the recruits graduate from the training they will be assigned to partners. In the field harvesters operate in teams of two in order to assure they have sufficient resources to complete their mission. If any tamer arrives at Camp Eva with less than a full harem they will be assigned additional pokegirls deemed appropriate by their trainers until they have six. All harvester teams receive master tamer licenses as well as physic licenses and all harvester teams include at least one psychic type pokegirl.

Harvester teams are supplied with bank accounts they can draw upon as needed to complete their assignments. Harvester teams must meet their monthly quotas and are encouraged to exceed them.

D. Current Operations
Harvester teams are currently active in nearly every league in the world with the notable exception of the Scarlet League. Due to the Orange League's close relationship with the Scarlet League they have been spared the predations of the harvesters.

The primary focus of the harvesters is on the more liberal or belligerent leagues in close proximity to the Orange League, those judged most likely for conflict to develop. Teams operated in every league however, seeking to secure region specific breeds of interest to the Orange League.

E. Security Measures
The primary security measure of the program is the complete deniability of it. Upon completion of training all harvesters received an alternate identity that they go by at all times in other Leagues. These identities are all listed as AWOL by the Orange League and officially discredited in the League. If any harvester is captured the Orange League will not under any circumstances attempt to extradite them and their ties with the League will be officially severed, leaving them at the mercy of local law enforcement.

Other security measures include the prohibition against capturing tame pokegirls. The harvesters are to focus exclusively upon feral pokegirls as they pose little to no security risk since their animal minds will not understand that they've been transplanted to the Orange League. Any tame pokegirls captured and sent back to the League will automatically receive a level five taming cycle and the harvester who captured them will be severely reprimanded. If a tamer captures multiple tame pokegirls they will be recalled to the Orange League and stripped of their status before being cashiered out of the service with only a pet owners license.

If it appears that capture is imminent harvesters are under standing orders to destroy their pokedexes, PPMs, and PMSDs as none of these devices can be allowed to fall into the hands of another league. To this end each harvester is issued a thermite grenade that if placed atop these devices can melt them to unrecognizable slag in seconds.

F. Specific Equipment
F.1. PMSD
The PMSD is the primary piece of specialized equipment that harvesters receive. Hidden in the bottom of a specially designed backpack the PMSD is mounted in a shock absorbing system in order to protect it. The only visible evidence of it is an umbilical that comes from the pack and connects to a receiver on the backpack's shoulder strap. This receiver serves as a link to the specially modified pokeball used with the PMSD as well as uplinking to other PMSD's to transfer captures.

The PMSD is powered by three playing card deck sized batteries. 99% of the power consumption of the PMSD is when the pokegirl is first stored in the holographic crystalline data matrix. After imprinting in the storage device the pokegirl's pattern can be maintained even if the PMSD loses power for up to three years. Due to the significant power drain associated with imprinting the captures a set of capacitors are used with a recycle time of fifteen seconds. This limit means that many harvesters request multiple modified pokeballs so that they can rapidly capture ferals in packs and then transfer them to the PMSD at their leisure. The PMSD's batteries can be recharged through various means, adapters to other batteries, conventional power sockets, or even solar panel sheets the harvesters carry with them.

Transferring captures form one PMSD to another has become a much simpler process since the introduction of the Mk.IVa PMSD. A direct line of site link can be established between the harvester's PMSD and a pick up PMSD. This allows a flying type pokegirl to carry multiple PMSD's and retrieve the captures of multiple teams in a single pass. The flying type will fly from a secure location, usually an offshore boat, travel to a rendezvous spot designated previously and link up with the harvesters PMSD's on the ground, transferring the captures. These pick up PMSD's are typically equipped with much larger energy cells in order to allow them to quickly write multiple pokegirls into their matricies. A transfer usually takes between thirty and ninety seconds per PMSD.

F.2. Pokedex
Each harvester receives a highly modified pokedex. On the surface it appears to be a standard Orange League pokedex and to anyone besides the tamer or their partner it is. The pokedex has all the functions of a standard pokedex and will verify the harvester's cover identity and harem. If an authorized user, verified with thumb print and voice matching, makes use of the pokedex its other features are enabled.

The harvester pokedex has an encrypted shortwave radio built in to allow for direct communications when necessary as well as to permit clandestine data downloads from the pickup pokegirls when performing PMSD handoffs. The pokedex also contains a far more powerful CPU than normal and a vastly largers memory storage area with all the information the harvesters will need in their locations. The pokedex is also the control unit for the harvester's PMSD and PPM. Finally, the pokedex can confirm the harvester's true identities to appropriate officials.

F.3. Portable Pokegirl Management Machine
The portable pokegirl management machine, or PPM was first introduced in 281 A.S. The size of a shoebox the original PPM was capable of putting pokegirls through healing cycles without needing to take trips to local pokecenters. The current version of the PPM has been reduced to a ponytaur shoe sized device that clips around the circumference of a pokeball and incorporates all the healing, taming, and teaching functions usually associated with full fledged pokecenters.

The PPM is controlled through the harvester's pokedex when need be. The only limitation to the PPM's use is that most procedures take two to three times as long as they would at a full fledged pokecenter.

The PPM technology has begun to filter into the private sector with early models now becoming available for use by depots and pokecenters that must provide coverage for large dispersed populations.

G. Quotas
Harvester teams operate under a strict quota system. If a harvester fails to meet their quota for three months in a row they automatically lose their status. The quota system is built up using the Orange League method of classifying pokegirls based upon "stages" of evolution. Each harvester has a monthly quota of one hundred and fifty stages worth of pokegirls. Harvester teams are allowed to cooperate to meet their quotas.

Quota: 150 stages worth of pokegirls per month.
Captures:
Stage 0: 0 stages credit towards quota, 5% of typical selling price.
Stage 1: 1 stage credit towards quota, 15% of typical selling price.
Stage 2: 2 stages credit towards quota, 30% of typical selling price.
Stage 3: 3 stages credit towards quota, 50% of typical selling price.
Stage 4: 5 stages credit towards quota, 80% of typical selling price.
Stage 5: 8 stages credit towards quota, 100% of typical selling price.
Stage 6+: 15 stages credit towards quota, 200% of typical selling price.

All pokegirls captured beyond the quota of 150 will net a 25% increase in the selling price.

As laid out harvesters gain no credit and only a small portion of the selling price of stage zero pokegirls such as Kittens or pokekits. Pokekits of particularly rare or potentially powerful breeds may have exceptions made for them. The quota system is set up to encourage the capture of more evolved pokegirl types. There is a monetary bonus for capturing pokegirls above and beyond the number required to meet quota.

II. Eva Camps
A. History
In 20 A.S. a tamer in the Orange League attempted to evolve an Eva with an angel stone. The subsequent explosion reduced the pre-Sukebe continent of Australia, which had been relatively untouched by the world changing forces of the Great War, to the Orange Islands. Since that time possession of an unevolved Eva has been a capital crime in the Orange League.

Until the formation of the Eva camps, any feral or threshold Evas captured were immediately deported, either sold or traded to other leagues. A close watch was kept on the numbers and locations of Evas discovered in the Orange League in an attempt to locate an possible feral populations that might need to be dealt with. In spite of this watchfulness the Eva population of the Orange League continued to grow. By the mid third century it became obvious that something about the Islands was causing a small, but significant and growing, number of thresholds to Evas and the feral population was continuing to rise.

Part of the historic Scythe initiative, special project 701 is the only part of the initiative aside from special project 837 to have any margin of success. Commander Orlav included special project 701, known as the Eva camps, in order to give the Orange League access to the useful evolved Eva forms; forms that were rare to non-existent within the league due to the earlier deportation policies.

Separate camps were established and spread out across the league. Each camp would focus on evolving their Evas into a specific subsequent form by whatever means are necessary.

B. Goals
The goal of the Eva camps is to evolve stage one Evas into useful, and safe, evolutions that can be distributed and used within the Orange League without concern of triggering another blast.

C. Current Operations
Upon receipt of a captured feral or threshold eva, the receiving ranch transfers the pokegirl to the national pokegirl management agency (NPMA). The NPMA handles the official government distribution of pokegirls in the Orange League government's care with an emphasis on controlled breeds such as evas. Based upon demand for specific evolutions and current camp populations the captured eva will be transfered to one of the camps to undergo monitored evolution.

Most evas captured in the Orange League will be evolved either into glace, joltina, flarea, or solaria evolutions. Eighty percent of the evas in the league become one of those types. The remainder are distributed amongst the remaining camps for more specialized or less desired evolutions.

Upon arrival at the camp the eva is fitted with a tracking collar. The tracking collar allows camp authorities to instantly locate any eva in the camp and to find them if they escape. In the case of an escape attempt if the eva crosses a preset boundary around the camp the collar emits a strong shock to the pokegirl and begins to give off an audible alarm. Any attempt to tamper with the collar will trigger the same shock and audible alarm. The shocks and alarm continues until the collar is deactivated, the pokegirl ceases tampering, or returns to the preset area of the camp. The collar notifies the camp's operators of the infraction so that the pokegirl can be dealt with appropriately.

The collar also holds a high grade evolution stone, usually AA or AAA grade. This stone combined with careful placement and design of the camp to maximize environmental influences has a high probability of triggering the desired evolution in the pokegirl. Camp 209 is located high in the Sanctuary mountains where the temperature never exceeds -5 degrees celcius, even in the summer and the evas are denied any clothes or warmth aside from what is strictly necessary to prevent hypothermia, frostbite, or death, combined with imported ice crystals the camp has a 96% success rate in triggering glace evolutions.

Once a pokegirl has evolved they are transfered back to the NPMA where they will be distributed as needed, typically as starter pokegirls for beginning tamers. If an eva fails to undergo evolution within six months they will be transfered back the NPMA to be traded to another League.

D. Specific Camps
There are currently ten operational eva camps in the Orange League.

Camp 182 is located in the deserts of the Setta province, only a few kilometers from Camp Eva and the harvester training facility. The thunder stones mined by the inmates at Camp Eva occasionally find their way to Camp 182 where they are used to help evolve the Evas there to joltinas.

Camp 471 is located on a small island east of Port Pearing. Diamond stones from the small local mine are used to create new chippyna pokegirls for the League's use.

Camp 094 is located in in the Basa province on the east end of the island where the province's tamer training camp, Camp Holmes, is located. The water stones mined amongst the reefs and along the shores of the Sea of Dirac in Basa province are sometimes sent to Camp 094 to prompt evolutions to vaporitas.

Camp 456 is located in Khar-Toba province fifty kilomters south of Loverton. The fire stones mined in this province are sometimes used to evolve the Evas at the camp to flareas.

Camp 183 is also in the Khar-Toba province ten kilometers to the west of camp 456. Round stones are used to new marmotte pokegirls.

Camp 209 is located in the high peaks of the Sanctuary mountains in north west Ibren province. There, ice crystals imported from the Scarlet League are used to prompt Glace evolutions in the population of Eva's kept there.

Camp 126 is located near camp 209 but lower in the mountains. Moon stones mined nearby are used to prompt umbrea evolutions in the evas sent to the camp.

Camp 008 is located farther south in the mountain range than camps 209 and 126. Mana crystals from Ibren's costal mines are combined with imported dark stones to produce to produce omegan evolutions.

Camp 323 is located in the Draaga province, twenty kilometers south east of Mt. Misa. The leaf stones found near the base of the mountain have become popular in triggering solaria evolutions for the camp's populace.

Camp 271 is also in Draaga province, south east of Seacleft. Sun stones encourage the evas to evolve into espeas for the League.

III. Project Enigma
The Enigma program began in 285 A.S. as a non-secret but need to know only research project. Project Enigma's original goal was open ended research into teh biology and genetics of pokegirls. The original Engima lab was set up by a series of dummy corporations, used to ensure that the mass purchasing of such expensive and rare equipment as automated gene sequencers/decoders would not be noticed and investigated. Many of the up and coming top minds in the field were recruited out of college and low level positions in other labs to work in Enigma. Work commenced in the Engima lab in Tangerine in 287 A.S. and for the next four years work continued. In early 292 A.S. project Enigma was transfered from the auspices of the ministry of science to the National Security Agency and then terminated without warning. No explanation was given or even officially needed under the charter of National Security Agency.

Project Enigma was only publicly canceled however. Now under the control of the NSA the program has continued with the scientists sworn to secrecy. All findings of the Enigma team are classified under the highest security levels. Even the commission of national representatives who oversee the NSA and its activities are not authorized to be briefed on Enigma's findings. The commission on receives assurances that it continues its original goals and continues to be profitable.

IV. Project Trinity
Project Trinity began in 255 A.S. as the Orange League faced a fossil fuels crunch. The expansion of the power grid at the turn of the century had greatly increased the league's use of natural gas. It had increased the use of it to such a degree that the recoverable reserves of natural gas would last another two hundred years at current usage levels. Australia had significant coal reserves prior to the Advent but they were either vaporized or sunk beneath the waves by the disaster. In 241 A.S. the quickly growing league found itself running out of reserve electricity and in need of new generation. With natural gas no longer an option power producers turned to the fractured crust of the planet and began constructing geo-thermal power stations. The amount of energy that could be derived from these stations was limited however and without a break through in deep drilling technology in order to access far deeper thermal reserves the league would have no additional geo-thermal resources to tap. Seeking an alternative method to produce commercially viable electricty after the turn of the century the Orange League government authorized project Trinity.

Project Trinity's sole goal is to develop the necessary equipment and infrastructure to support a nuclear power industry in the Orange League. Project Trinity progressed quickly once it began, making use of the vast store house of information from pre-Sukebe times as a guide the team made quick progress in many areas. There were some significant hold ups however. Orange League manufacturing capabilities, and indeed those of any league, were not up to producing the the large pressure and containment vessels needed for a traditional pressurized water reactor. Additionally the calutrons used in the labratories to enrich uranium could produce the few kilograms of it needed to verify designs but were far too expensive to be used on the scale needed to support a nuclear power industry. In order to solve these issues the design engineers instead rescusitated the CANDU design, who's much smaller fuel rod containment cylinders were within reach of the Orange League's industry and which would not require highly enriched uranium to operate.

With a new focus on a CANDU design the Trinity design team was able to finalize their design and begin construction on a test reactor by 276 A.S. The five megawatt reactor was constructed on a barge and testing of the design was carried out two hundred and fifty miles out to sea. The experimental reactor was fuel with raw uranium ore and criticality was achieved on October 29th, 279 A.S. Following these successful tests the design team scaled up to a full size plant but with no significant source of natural uranium yet discovered the design and construction portion of the project was put on hold in 284 A.S. until such a time as a commercially viable source of uranium ore could be found. To date twelve survey teams are in operation for project Trinity. Several small deposits of uranium ore have been located but none of sufficent size to support a nuclear power industry in the Orange League.

==================================
Author's Notes:

1) First off thanks to Lighthawk for being a continual sounding board for every crazy idea I have.
2) This portion of the primer is meant to be an executive summary of the various undisclosed projects the OL has in the works.
3) While this is not an exhaustive list of all the OL's less public operations unlike the main body of the primer I will NOT sanction the creation of other black projects in the OL without prior approval by me.
4) I encourage anyone who wants to write for the Orange League to do so. I ask that any such works conform to this primer.
5) Questions, comments, general bitching, contact me at bsmartfanfic@yahoo.com I am typically fairly good at responding, I am not a people person however so check your feelings at the inbox.
6) Project Enigma is supposed to be vague, while the person reading this is allowed to know of it, they are not allowed to know what its up to only that it continues on with its original mandate to research the biology and genetic make up of pokegirls. If you would like to use project Enigma in a story just let me know.

Version Changes
1.0 Initial Version