Pretear Fan Fiction ❯ Snow of Love ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A man stood in the middle of the sidewalk. Wind thrashed around him, tousling his pale hair and throwing up his cloak. The mouth on his lean face was grim, set as he observed the scene before him.
Leafenia. His home from so long ago, where he had been born and raised. The Leffae Knights had taught him all he had needed to know about fighting and sharpening his powers. His friends had been the only people in his life who had truly mattered. But now they were gone. Mannen closed his eyes as a wave of pain washed through him…
 
--------------------------------------------
16 years earlier
“Mannen!” Kei shouted. “I can only hold them off for so long. Go find Shin and Hajime!”
“I'm trying, I'm trying!” Mannen replied as he dodged the various blows of the demon larva. In the distance, he could hear Hayate shouting to Heimeno.
“You idiot, get out of the way! You're going to get hurt!”
“Oh, be quiet. I am just as important to this battle as you are.”
“I don't think so. Wind beats sound any day.”
Heimeno, who was currently fighting as the sound pretear, scoffed. “Really? I don't see you morphing with another being to save the world.”
Apparently Hayate had no comment on that, because there was only silence in the air. Until Mannen heard a small voice tremble behind him, “Mannen, we're scared.”
He nearly sighed with relief when he saw Hajime and Shin cowering in a corner, obviously terrified.
“C'mon you guys, this is no time to be scared. We have to help fight-“ Mannen broke off when he heard Goh shouting at him.
“Mannen, watch out! The larva!
Mannen turned to see the larva aim its head right at Shin and Hajime. Shouting, he pivoted and threw himself at the two knights. He got there just in time. Shin and Hajime were knocked across the field, out of the monster's reach.
Wiping sweat from his brow, he turned away grinning. And didn't see the tentacle coming towards him. He was knocked off his feet, and flung into the forest. He could hear his friends shouting his name, but was too weak to reply. He managed a small “I'm okay” before he passed out.
---------------------------------------
Mannen began walking again as he thought. That day, he'd gone back to the battle scene, but was only granted a field of ash and smoke. His friends had been nowhere in sight. Assuming the worst, he had left Leafenia, and hadn't been back since. Until today.
With a sigh, he transported back to the real world. Opening his eyes wide, he scrambled to get out of the way at the bullet of pink flying towards him…
* * *