Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ The Elements of Tennis ❯ Kurai and Kikumaru ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Elements of Tennis
Chapter Nine
 
The next morning, the Seigaku team meets up outside the gates to the Prefectural Tournament.
"Where are Momo-chan Senpai and Echizen?" Horio asks.
"Right here," Momoshiro responds.
"About time, why are you two always late?" Kikumaru asks.
"Never mind, let's just go get ready," Tezuka comments.
Everyone nods and they head into the gates as a team.
"It's such a beautiful say!" Mizu smiles as she stretches.
"You're always saying that," Kurai states in her usual cold voice.
"Why do you always have to be like that, Kurai? It's not very nice," Shinzoo complains.
"Who said I wanted to be nice?" Kurai responds with a shrug.
"Kurai!" Shinzoo screams, anger flowing in her voice.
"Calm down, we're all friends here," Koorai steps in.
Kurai shrugs as she walks away from the group.
"And where do you think you're going?" Hikaji asks.
"We've already registered and the match doesn't start for another hour, so what's the point in hanging around here?" Kurai responds before waving back to them.
"You had better be in the court on time!" Shinzoo shouts.
"She will, don't worry," Akari assures her.
"But, she's not even in her uniform yet," Mizu complains.
"Just give her space, she'll be there," Seeshin sighs in a tired voice.
"So, did you really lose to that girl in a street match, Kikumaru-Senpai?" Momoshiro asks.
"Well . . ." Kikumaru gets a sweat drop.
"You lost in a street match, Eiji?" Oishi asks in shock.
"Yeah, the girl was awesome though," Kikumaru explains.
The guys laugh together.
"You're not gonna let that get to you in this match are you?" Oishi asks.
"No way, I told you already, Oishi! It's straight wins from here on out!" Kikumaru smiles.
Suddenly his smile turns into a surprised expression directed over Oishi's shoulder.
"What's wrong, Eiji?" Oishi asks.
"That's her," Kikumaru explains.
"What?"
"The girl who beat me the other day is here," he answers. "I'll be back, guys."
"Wait, Kikumaru-Senpai!" Momoshiro calls after the red head as he takes off.
Kikumaru does not hear him.
"Well, at least we've already registered," Oishi comments.
"Yeah, it'd hate to try and make a double for Kikumaru-Senpai," Momoshiro laughs.
Kurai walks away from all of the people, just wanting to be alone to think before the match. She stops when she feels a hand on her shoulder. As she turns she meets the purple eyes of Kikumaru.
"Hey, what are you doing here?" he asks.
"Tennis," she shrugs.
"Really? You came to watch? That's cool. So, have you heard of this B.E.T. team before?" he asks.
"Yeah," Kurai responds in a 'duh' tone. "Of course I've heard of B.E.T. It's my school."
"You go to B.E.T?"
Kurai nods her head.
"So, that explains why you're so good," he smiles.
"You sure you weren't just playing around at that street match?" Kurai asks, turning her back on him.
"Huh?"
"Cause if that was the best you could do, then you might want to just go home and stop wasting everyone's time," Kurai announces as she starts walking away.
"Hey, wait a minute . . ." Kikumaru starts as he goes to follow her. "My name's Eiji Kikumaru, what's yours?"
"Kurai; Yami Kurai," she responds.
Kikumaru freezes where he stands.
"She's the eighth player?" he asks himself.