Princess Mononoke Fan Fiction ❯ Mind and Spirit ❯ Chapter 8 (Interesting times. Part 2) ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mind & Spirit
 
Chapter 8 (Interesting times. Part 2)
 
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Princess Mononoke or the characters, it's just a fan-fic, read and enjoy. (And please leave a review… it only takes a second)
 
 
Still the flashback…
 
Sans eyes flickered nervously from side to side, completely unable to take in the beauty of the forest around her. At any other time she would have wondered at the splendour of it all, with the wind and clouds now gone the fresh snow glimmered in the midday sun like a thousand diamonds, the normally serein deathly silence, now fully taking on the implications of its name. Beside her Kaji moved silently, something one would consider impossible for a large wolf on fresh crisp snow.
“Something is very wrong” stated Kaji quietly, his whole body taking on a tense overtone.
“No kagamo… no animals, even for winter… this is odd” agreed San.
Behind the two Gendo stumbled again.
“Oomph” he stated disgruntledly, regaining his footing and giving his siblings an odd grin.
“Why the long faces, it's a beautiful day” he said oddly, and entirely too loudly for the other two. After leaving the den Gendo had become more and more… reckless? San couldn't figure out what had gotten into him, he had begun to lose co-ordination far beyond what his injuries could explain, and his attitude had become much more... loose, and brash. San wrinkled her brow.
“Gendo, be quiet!” hissed Kaji. “There could be more of them around.”
“Well then bring them on!” replied Gendo happily. “I'll teach them to used poisoned arrows” he said taking another step.
San and Kaji watched as he stumbled again, his head falling into the snow. Sitting roughly back on his hind legs he looked stunned for a second before shaking his head to remove the snow, and then sat there panting happily. At any other time San would have found her brothers antics greatly amusing, though at the moment she worried more about the further effects of the poison.
“Gendo the poison is effecting you” stated San. “We must try and get to Iron-town before we are discovered again… do you think you can move silently?” she stated, as diplomatically as she could. Turning her head to give Kaji a quick nod.
“Come on Brother, we have to be in a hunting mentality if we wish to catch these humans unaware.” offered Kaji, more evenly.
Gendo dragged himself back up, moving past the other two slowly, still a little unstable but considerably more composed then before.
“Well come on then” he said, moving on. San and Kaji glanced at each other before following the head of the Wolf clan.
Though now maintaining a steady even pace, after a while Gendo started to hum a little tune to himself, both San and Kaji thought it wise not to comment. San stayed close to her older brother while Kaji took point, hoping to detect any danger before Gendo gave away their position.
It took them 3 hours to reach the edge of the forest, Gendo had stoped humming, it was obvious that he was using all his concentration to maintain is occasionally uneven movement. The concentration in his eyes was fighting hard to avoid them glassing over, he's whole system struggling against the poison that was flowing through his veins. The three members of the Wolf clan met up on a large rock that overlooked the lake, it had completely frozen over, the freshly fallen snow covering the ice and making it look like a giant flat field.
“Almost there” said Kaji relieved.
“Iron-town?” said Gendo tiredly, having totally forgotten their intended destination “I thought I smelt that we went past some people.” he said happily, unsteadily sitting down. San and Kaji shot each other a look, Kaji began to growl and San drew her knife, eyeing off the surrounding trees.
“Gendo lookout!” called Kaji, he had turned to face movement and had just had enough time to snatch a spear out of the air as it hurtled towards Gendo, snapping it in half. San knocked an arrow out of the air with her knife, diving right to avoid another two. Gendo half turned half sprang up in shock. Having jumped too far towards the lake Gendo lost his footing, falling backwards off the rock then tumbling down the banks of the lake.
San sprang up in time to watch her brother go over the edge, Kaji just managed to avoided another arrow and was about to launch an attack.
“Kaji, get Gendo to the town!” yelled San, running at full speed towards her brother. Kaji growled low, then understanding, sidestepped another arrow and crouched, San launched herself into the air, both feet landing square on Kajis shoulders, the large wolf heaving upwards, launching San high into the canopy. A second later the large wolf sprang backwards off the rock, sliding down to catch up with the slowly tumbling body of his brother.
San waisted no time once in the canopy, seen from above her progress could have been followed in the violent vibrations of the trees as she sprang recklessly from one to the other, relying on instinct she swept around in a wide circle. The hidden archers were unable to track her movements effectively and most were barely able to stop themselves being badly injured as San came careering through their particular tree, one after another the archers were bowled out of their trees, falling heavily in the snow below. Half way around San noticed that all the rest had left their hiding places, pairing up to have one archer and one spearman, she counted about 10 men, 5 still recovering from their ordeal in the trees. San quickly retreated towards the lake, avoiding more arrows as she went.
Kaji had reached his brother, who was now completely unconscious. Looking back around Kaji saw what may have been mistaken for explosions from the trees, smiling at his sisters obvious trail of destruction. Looking back down he knew he had to make a move, grabbing his slightly bigger brother by the scruff of the neck he began to haul him across the frozen surface of the lake, the recently fallen snow giving him adequate traction. San had enough of a heads start on the men to be able to slide down the ridge uncontested. Scanning back for incoming arrows, she quickly made her way towards her brother on the ice. Due to the low friction of the snow acting on Gendos body, which was trailing to the right of the running Kaji, the younger wolf was making good speed, though fatigue quickly made him slow down.
San had made it halfway towards her brother when 8 of the men appeared on the ridge, sliding down its edge and running after the fleeing three. San was just in arrow range but no more where incoming, as she had proven apt in avoiding any ranged shot. They were matching pace with San and she was only 5 minutes away from catching her brother, who was still 10 minutes away from Iron-town…
Running and panting heavily San cursed the situation. “Damn it” she said in-between breaths. Reaching into her garment she produced a small wooden cylinder wrapped in cloth and leather. Ashitaka had given it to her 3 months ago; he had had it specially made by the gunsmiths. Ripping the top of the cloth she grabbed hold of a length of twine, pulling it hard, the tube began to steam and sizzle, stoping for a second she threw the cylinder into the air, before starting to run again. The tube flew gracefully into the air and just starting to fall back to earth before it exploded with a large loud `BANG', accompanied by a small flash of light and a puff of red smoke.
 
“Clank, Clang, Clank” went the alarm plate.
“Ashitaka!” called the guard on watch duty. “San as fired off her emergency beacon!” he called down to the compound, continuing to strike the alarm. All throughout Iron-town people looked up with interest, numerous quicker people had already scaled the walls to see what the commotion was about. Ashitaka himself came rushing out of the main administration building. Looking up he saw the guard point off towards the lake, running across the yard Ashitaka literally bounded off an oxen onto a roof and up onto the city wall. Off in the distance he could just begin to make out the scene, the 8 darker figures quite noticeable on the lakes surface, with Kaji out in front. Below, Gonza had emerged.
“Ashitaka what is it!” he called up to the young man.
“The wolf clan is in trouble, mount up who you can and follow me!” called back Ashitaka, already making a run for the main gate.
“What? Who?… Ashitaka what's going on!” the older worrier called back angrily.
“No time Gonza!” called back Ashitaka, turning his head he put his fingers to his lips, letting out a piercing whistle. From his stall Yakkuru reacted immediately, raising his head the large elk backed away from the gate a bit before clearing the pen fence in one graceful jump, Gonza had to take a step back as the large Elk raced past. Up on the wall Ashitaka also raced past a guard, snatching up a flint and numerous smaller bombs, stuffing the bombs in his shirt and gripping the lit flint in his mouth. Running quickly Ashitaka slid down a rooftop, the young worrier grabbed a length of rope before meeting up with his racing steed. Grabbing one of the antlers Ashitaka swung himself up in one fluid movement, losing one of the bombs as he did so, not looking back the two raced out of the gate, turning right immediately to head down to the lake. Gonza had barely time to react while all this was going on, blinking a few times he quickly regained his composure. Making his way over to the stables.
“Riders mount up! Rifleman to the wall! Lets move people!” he shouted out. On the hills surrounding Iron-town, the few people outside reacted to the alarm, packed up quickly and heading towards the gate.
 
Over at the ironworks a young woman came running into the main smelting room.
“Toki!” she called out. Toki herself was inspecting some finished Iron, surrounded by some of the workers.
“Toki there you are!” The young woman called, spotting her objective. “Quick come to the wall, San is in trouble!”
“What?” replied Toki standing, the iron that she had been inspecting on her lap falling to the floor.
 
Ashitaka and Yakkuru had hit the lake at full speed, the continued momentum and sure footedness of the elk maintaining the momentum on the snow-covered ice. Behind the racing pair the snow exploded into the air rhythmically as they closed the distance to Kaji.
 
San was beginning to feel the fatigue, behind her, her pursuers were still maintaining pace despite the difficulty of running in snow. Kaji was now only 100m ahead of her, having slowed dramatically. Disheartened Sans spirits soured as she saw in the distance Yakkuru and Ashitaka approaching, doubling her efforts she reached her flagging brother.
“Come… on Kaji, Ashitaka's… almost here” she called out between gasped breaths, turning she was just in time to deflect a hopeful shot aimed at Gendo & Kaji.
 
Ashitaka saw this in front of him, now only 50m away himself he pulled back the rains, Yakkuru began to slide, the elk almost sitting down to maintain his balance, Ashitaka let go of the rains to light a bomb in his hands. The slide almost complete, Ashitaka threw the bomb over the wolf clans head towards the advancing men. Landing well short, the bomb explodes, quickly followed by another. Ashitaka had thrown a wide spread and the resulting smoke had created a good shroud. Jumping from Yakkuru, Ashitaka raced over to Gendo, who Kaji had dropped, now exhausted. San stood her ground, watching for any arrows that might pierce the smoke veil.
“Yakkuru!” called Ashitaka, the Elk moving closer to his master. Ashitaka had unceremoniously tied the rope around Gendos front legs, moving over to the large elk he fashioned a crude bridal around his front quarters. Behind him San smashed another on-target arrow with her dagger.
“Kaji! Help me get him moving” called Ashitaka. The large wolf staggered across to once again grab his brother by the neck. Ashitaka moved to the Back of Yakkuru, pushing his old friend to help him get a foothold, the snow was not thick enough for Yakkuru to get traction, and his hooves slid on the ice. Clawing at the ice the shore-footed elk began to make better progress with the help of Kaji and Ashitaka, with his momentum up Yakkuru began to make headway, Gendo trailing behind him.
“Go Yakkuru go!” called Ashitaka as the powerful steed picked up speed.
“San come on!” shouted Ashitaka, San was already backing away with the others and was only 10m away.. turning she raced towards Ashitaka. A few arrows falling around her.
“Quick get on Yakkuru, I will be right behind”
To exhausted to argue, or even reply, San quickly gave Ashitaka her dagger before jumped onto the accelerating Yakkuru. Behind them the men had reached the smoke, though they had to go around for fear of falling through the damaged ice. By the time they cleared, The wolf clan was out of range, only Ashitaka remained lagging behind.
Ashitaka turned to see the men stop running. Slowing himself, he stoped, turning to face the Wolf clans pursuers.
 
Far off to Ashitaka's left a small part of Iron-town horsemen led by Gonza had come to a stop next to the edge of the frozen lake, unable to coax the horses onto the ice, the men had to go around. Dismounting, a small party began to make there way over, Ashitaka lifted his hand, causing them to stop, they were barely in shouting range, though Gonza recognised the signal from where he was.
“What's going on” asked a guard next to Gonza.
“I'm not sure” replied Gonza, his usual unhappy expression present. “But we wait here until Ashitaka calls for us.”
From Gonzas position it looked like Ashitaka was squaring off against the 8, though he knew the prince well enough that at that range he was in no real danger.
 
Ashitaka observed the attackers, they were simply standing there, no sign of emotion or fatigue apparent. Considering how fit San was, and her condition when Ashitaka reached her, the 8 men's apparent indifference was impressive to say the least. Their clothing looked odd, combined to give maxim warmth and manoeuvrability they were not intended to look fashionable.
“What is it you want worriers!” shouted Ashitaka.
The eight began to put away there respective weapons, six turned to start walking back they way they had come.
“Stay in your town, prince!” called back one of the two remaining, before they too turned to start walking.
Ashitaka looked back over at Gonza, he had about a dozen mounted worriers with him.
“Attack upon the Wolf clan is an attack upon Iron-town, you would do well to explain yourself!” stated Ashitaka loudly, and surprisingly diplomatically.
The two apparent leaders stoped for a second, looking over at Gonza and his party. From any normal standing their position was rather exposed. The two appeared to discuss matters for a few seconds, then the one with a bow appeared to draw an arrow, manhandling the tip for a while he aiming the arrow almost straight up in the air, firing. The arrow itself let out a low howl as it went sailing into the air. It only took a few seconds before there was a reply, one from the hills above the road to Iron-town, the other from the forest behind Gonza, causing the large worrier to flinch noticeably. Ashitaka for his part was not surprised. The two foreigners simply began to walk after their comrades. Ashitaka frowned to himself, suppressing the urge to attack these aggressors directly, taking a deep breath he turning to wave at Gonza, indicating for the men to return to town. Gonza didn't need to be told twice, gathering his men and heading straight back to town. Ashitaka, for his part, started to walk back, his mind working-over all he had seen in only the last few minutes.
 
“San!” called out Toki, racing down the embankment that lead to the lake near the main entrance of Iron-town, behind her numerous other villagers also raced down.
“What happened!” she asked, as San and Yakkuru slowly slid to a halt at the edge of the lake. The still sliding body of Gendo starting to slightly overtake the halting Yakkuru and came to rest on the frozen shoreline.
“Toki, we have to get him inside the city.” said San as she slid of Yakkuru, patting the large Elk gratefully on the neck and quickly undoing the noose. Toki turned to some of the guards.
“Come on you lot, make yourself useful.” she said going over to the large wolf and undoing the rope from that end. Soon Gendo was completely surrounded by guards and helpers alike, San gently held her brothers head as everyone else gave one massive heave to raise the large wolf into the air. Unsteadily the party made its way up into Iron-town, Kaji trailing, concerned, Toki running ahead as many of the rest of the town looked on with interest.
“We'll put him in the communal hall, quickly! Clear a spot next to the main fire and spread some hey out for him.” Toki commanded some of the other girls, who immediately reacted to get the job done. Not only was everything prepared by the time that Gendo was carried into the main hall but some larger sheets had been placed on the hey. Moving unsteadily the lifting party placed the larger wolf down in front of the fire, which was already being stoked to increase the heat. Kaji shook off any remaining snow before entering the newly completed largish hall. Lying down next to his brother, to exhausted to comment.
“Try and clean these two up as best you can, dress the wounds and bring Kaji anything he needs” instructed Toki to her second hand in a kind voice. Most people were looking a little distressed at the older wolfs condition. Tokis calm attitude helped ease the situation and the numerous woman sprang into action. At the doors and window of the hall the rest of Iron-town had gathered to observe the goings on.
“Come on people, back to work… you have nothing better to do!?” stated Toki loudly, she then moved back over to San who was staring at her brother, a dark look on her face. The crowd slowly began to disperse, behind Toki the woman where busily working away.
“What happened?” asked Toki, concerned. San looked up at Toki, her expression softening slightly as she looked at the older woman, but her eyes remaining cold.
“Gendo has been poisoned” San said calmly, reaching into her clothing she produced the arrowhead that had been retrieved from Gendo. Toki's expression turned serious, taking the arrowhead she turned it over in her hand.
“Please do what you can” said San eventually. Toki nodded.
“I will ask Washu, she knows about these things” replied Toki, giving San a comforting smile. “We will do everything we can” she added before making her way off quickly. San looked on for a second, realising there was little else she could do for her brother, she made her way back outside. San eventually made her way back to the main gate, receiving even more curious looks from bystanders then she usually did. Ignoring them she reached the main gate just as Gonza and the horseman returned. Gonza spotted San late and couldn't stop to talk to her on the way through, looking back he saw her disappear beyond the opening, frowning he asked one of the guards who came up to him what was going on.
 
Yakkuru had made his way back to his master, who greeted him kindly. Ashitaka walked beside his old friend back to the town. Almost to the shore, Ashitaka saw San emerge from the gate, breaking into a jog he was quickly to her, taking her into his arms, she returned the hug gratefully. They stayed like that for a short time, simply enjoying each other's presence.
“Is Gendo O.K?” asked Ashitaka softly.
“I'm not sure” replied San quietly. “He's been poisoned, and I have never seen such a reaction, there is nothing I can do” she said weakly, not lifting her head from the safety of his embrace. Ashitaka simply held her tighter.
“We have a lot of wise people here, I'm sure someone will know how to help” he said reassuringly. Looking down he noticed the blood caused by some of Sans cuts.
“Come lets get you cleaned up.” he said soothingly, slowly the two made there way back inside.
 
Toki had closed all of the windows and doors to the hall, keeping in the heat. Kaji and Gendo had been cleaned and their wounds dressed, Gendo looked as if he was sleeping peacefully and Kaji, now recovered, sat watching his sister. Ashitaka watched as Toki and another woman finished dressing Sans wounds. Finished the woman left while Toki took a place by a small table that had been set up near the sleeping Gendo. San touched the bandages gingerly, only now was the pain beginning to come through a bit, grimacing she quickly put on a spare clean coat she occasionally used in town. Ashitaka served the girls a warm drink before sitting back down.
“Thanks” said San, taking the drink gratefully. In the background the fire crackled a little.
“So then, what happened?” asked Ashitaka. San took another sip of her drink before starting, Kaji helped with the explanation, allowing San to finish her drink, it only took a few minutes to bring the two up to speed. Ashitaka sat looking thoughtful for a while.
“So were they after you?” asked Toki in the end.
“I don't think so” replied San. “Well at least not to begin with, they only attacked after we refused them passage.”
“I think they're after Eboshi” said Ashitaka suddenly.
“Eboshi? Then why pursue San like that?” asked Toki. Ashitaka thought for a second.
“It's well known that Iron-town and the spirits now co-exist, they probably considered the wolf clan a threat, one worth attacking, when the opportunity presented itself.” he replied.
“So they're going to attack Eboshi on her way back from the meeting with the Emperors council?” asked San. The Wolf clan had not seen anyone from Iron-town for about a month. San knew about the meeting to secure Iron-towns safety from the marauding Samurai, but the specifics were still unknown to her.
“It would appear that way, they know that an attack directly in front of Iron-town will be the last thing Eboshi will expect, she has contacts in every village along that road and would know if anyone came up this way.”
“That's why they went cross country” said San. “And why they attacked us, they didn't want us to warn her.”
“But their plan has surely failed, we can send riders to warn Eboshi.” commented Toki.
“They will never make it.” said Ashitaka coldly. “They have Iron-town surrounded, no one gets out without them knowing.”
“But we have so many men, we could send them all, the woman could stay and defend the town” Toki said a little more desperately.
“I can not sacrifice that many men, even to save Eboshi life, many would die, these men are elite worriers” said Ashitaka calmly, looking at the fire.
“There were at least 10 in the first group, and again in the second, with at least two more groups out there…” San trailed off a little. “And men like these I have never seen before. Ashitaka is right, the people of Iron-town would have many dead and injured”
Toki looked worried again, she had not realised there were so many… and now they were surrounding Iron-town.
“Oh my god Koroku!” she said suddenly, now recognising the danger to her husband.
“Is he with Eboshi?” asked San, only now really noticing his absence.
“No he is collecting wood and checking up on the aqueduct with a large party, they are due back tomorrow.”
“How many men?” asked San.
“About 20, and they are not heavily armed” replied Ashitaka.
“Damn that man” said Toki angrily. “Why did I have to fall in love with such a unlucky cluts!” she finished in a more worried tone. Ashitaka continued to stare at the fire.
“So both Koroku and Eboshi are returning tomorrow… and we can't warn either of them?” continued Toki after a while.
“I have already asked Gonza to watch for any change in the weather, with a little luck I will have the cover I need to slip-out to warn both Koroku and Eboshi”
“But how will you...” started Toki.
“Excuse me” came the soft voice of Tokis first hand. All three turned around to see two woman enter, San had never seen the second woman before, she appeared to be carrying a small jar. At first San mistook her for a girl, her size, body shape and youthful face betrayed her true age, this was further emphasised be her wild long reddish hair. What San found most striking was her posture, other then Eboshi San had never seen a woman with such force of presence before.
“Washu” greeted Ashitaka, getting up.
“Prince Ashitaka” greeted Washu warmly… looking around her eyes lit-up as she saw the two giant wolfs, she quickly regained her focus, spying San.
“Princess Mononoke, great spirit of the wolf clan” she bowed respectively to the two. Both San and Kaji nodded in recognition.
“Did you have any luck with the poison?” asked Toki, re-focusing on the present to regain her composure a little.
San, having finished her drink, shuffled over to Ashitaka, completely unaware and uncaring of any protocol that may exist she leaned up against him.
To everyone else's credit this did not even raise an eyebrow. Washu retrieved the arrow from some-place on her person.
“I recognise the arrow and the poison” said Washu, looking at the arrow again. “They're from a clan far to the north, mercenaries... the best there is.” she said to the room in general.
“Can anything be done?” asked Toki.
“I have never heard of an antidote.” replied Washu. “ It's a very strange type of poison, at very low doses it merely incapacitates for a while, but at this dose it should have killed a horse in under 10 minutes.”
“Will Gendo be alright?” asked Ashitaka.
“Its hard to say, I know though that at low doses the poison passes through the system quite quickly, how it affects a gods system I can not say” she replied. Moving over to Gendo she kneeled down in front of him, placing the Jar onto the ground.
“Though I don't have an antidote I have made a potent detoxification mixture, concentrated heavily enough I hope” she said, absent mindedly stroking Gendos nose, though not greatly respectful San let it slide, getting up and moving over to Gendo.
“Thank you Washu I will help you administer it.” San said. Toki got up herself and went over to help San gently raise Gendos head. San opened Gendos mouth, noticing that Washu's jug had a small crab printed on it as she pored the contents down Gendos throat, who swallowed.
San and Toki gently placed Gendos head back down.
“You should take a step back” advised Washu, backing away.
“Why?” asked San, backing away apprehensively. Gendo for his part let out a large hick-up.
“You'll see” said Washu, not taking her eyes off Gendo.
Ashitaka almost sprung into a standing position as Gendos eyes burst open, immediately followed by the large wolf jumping into a standing position, considering his docile manner only seconds before everyone except Washu was in shock.
“Uuuuuuaaargghhh!” exclaimed Gendo, followed by coughing and dry retching. Barely opening his eyes Gendo saw the large water bowl that had been set up for Kaji. Immediately springing over to it, everyone moved to get out of the way, Gendo lapped up the water furiously, gulping in air as he did. He only drank for a few seconds, before calming down, raising his head slowly he ignored everyone in the room before stumbling back over to his “bed” and collapsing, after which he let out a long groan. Kaji and San recovered form their shock to race over to their brother.
“Gendo are you O.K?” asked Kaji.
“How do you feel?” asked San with concern, stroking him behind his ear.
Gendo opened one of his eyes for a second, focusing on his brother.
“Terrible.” He said simply… “What was in that water?” he asked disgruntledly. Behind them Washu laughed…
“He's going to be fine if he can tasted that” she said happily. Smiling San gave her brother a big hug.
The overall relief was only momentarily however as a guard came rushing into the room
“Ashitaka, Toki! Koroku and the others have been spotted, they've come back early!”
 
Ashitaka and Toki reached the parapet at the same time, the weather had stayed fine into the early evening and Korokus small band could easily be seen making its way along the edge of the lake next to the aqueduct.
“Damn! Why can't that man do anything right.” stated Toki with a mixture of anger and worry.
“Come on men mount up!” came the call from Gonza behind him. “Open the gate!” he called out while adjusting his equipment. Below, every man who could was quickly equipping himself with armour and weaponry, there were about 25 men, a quite impressive force. Ashitaka himself jumped back down, running to collect his own bow, which he kept ready next to Yakkurus stall, he was equipped and ready before the last rider mounted up, it had only taken 4 minutes. Yakkuru and Ashitaka waited for the rest of the men to form up. From the main hall San and Kaji suddenly immerged, San back into her old battle dress. Mounting up the two were quickly by Ashitaka's side.
“Thanks” said Ashitaka simply. San smiled.
“Can't deny Toki her husband… who would she have to yell at then” San said confidently, with a smile. Ashitaka gave a quick smile back
“Lets go!” called out Gonza.
“Lets go Yakkuru” called Ashitaka, turning the red elk around. The small force raced towards the gate.
Up on the parapet Ashitaka could see Toki running towards the gate.
“Ashitaka stop!” she called out. Ashitaka hauled in the reigns, behind him the rest of the riders struggled to check their speed. The horseman ended up in a motley group just outside the main gate, with Ashitaka and San out front.
“Blast it what is it woman!” called Gonza angrily, struggling to keep his horse calm.
“They are not alone!” called back Toki, pointing to the incoming group.
They were just coming around another bend in the small track, and it could clearly be seen that the group was closely flanked by 10 men.
“Damn it!” stated Gonza… all looked at each other, Ashitaka sat relatively still, watching the small group.
“Gonza stay where you are… but be prepared to move out any second. “ stated Ashitaka calmly.
“Right” responded Gonze then began to calmly get the men back in order.
 
Ashitaka and San moved forward a bit then dismounted, the 4 standing calmly on the bridge just in front of Iron-town. San scanned for movement in the newly constructed fields above.
“They're up there” said Kaji calmly, sniffing in the wind.
“I thought as much” said Ashitaka calmly.
“What do you thing they are planning?” asked San.
“I am not sure.” he replied. Off in the distance they could now make out Koroku out front, one of the strangers walking along side him, he appeared to be talking to the worrier, turning he waved at Toki on the battlement. Turning himself Ashitaka could see she, as well as half the townsman, now lined the walls of Iron-town. Koroku then appeared to turn back to the stranger, the two exchanged a quick bow before the strangers left. The group of 10 calmly making their way up the hill. Ashitaka watched them as they made there way up the hill on an angle, keeping pace with the workers, in easy arrow range. About 3 minutes later Koroku was well within shouting range of Iron-town, the people of Iron-town having remained silent, apprehensively watching the spectacle unfold. The strangers had by now effectively disappeared into the low vegetation and fields up in the hills. Though Ashitaka knew that they remained ready to pounce. The only one unconcerned with it all was Koroku and his men.
“Toki! Ashitaka, San! nice of you to welcome us home!” called out Koroku happily. Toki made her way down from the wall, briskly walking up to, and past, the vigilant Ashitaka, she had a very hard expression on her face and Korokus smile quickly faded as she made the last 20m towards him. The other men of the returning party looked on as their respective wives and girlfriends started to gather around the mounted worriers, the woman themselves still unsure what the commotion was about, but knowing it had to do with their men.
“What's the matter sweaty?” asked Koroku apprehensively, stopping suddenly as Toki squared up in front of him.
“You damn fool, you don't even know in what type of danger you were in.” said Toki angrily.
“Danger? What are you talking about?” said Koroku, confused.
“We are still in range from them” came the calm voice of Ashitaka, still unmoved from earlier.
“Quickly everyone get inside the gates!” commanded Toki, a hint of her anger still lingering.
 
The riders made room as the caravan started to file into the town, the woman running up to help their men move the animals in quickly. The mounted men followed, leaving only the original small group on the bridge including Toki and Koroku.
Though still scanning the hills Ashitaka couldn't help but smile at Korokus and Tokis “love-talk”, the hapless Koroku only becoming more confused.
Soon even they retired back into Iron-town.
“Should I close the gates?” asked a guard, as Ashitaka made his way through.
“No… but double the watch on the walls, and let no one enter or exit through the gate without permission from myself of Gonza.” Ashitaka said calmly. In front of him was a sizable section of the population, Gonza out in front.
“Ashitaka what is going on… who are those men?” asked Gonza impatiently
“What's going on Toki?” called out a woman from the crowd. Followed by a general flood of questions from the crowd in general. Ashitaka let them vent their frustration for a few seconds before raising his hand, the crowd calmed quickly, Ashitaka then spoke in a loud, but calm voice.
“We are in no immediate danger, there appears to be a band of mercenaries in the area, a very dangerous group at that, for the meantime it would be safer that no-one left Iron-town.” this caused a general murmur of discontent.
“What do they want? Are they after the Wolf-clan?” asked Gonza, only with the slightest hint of accusation, though it was a logical connection.
“There is conflicting evidence.” stated Ashitaka calmly. “Hopefully Koroku and the others can tell us a little more about these men.”
Again there was a murmur, this time less aggressive.
“We will meet for a short council and report publicly at sunset, until then anything else I say is merely speculation.” Ashitaka finished, Gonza frowned but knew that this made sense, plus sunset was only about 2 hours away. Grumbling a bit Gonza turned to the crowd.
“Come on people, there's still plenty to do, you'll get your answers at sunset!” he bellowed in his usual tone. The crowed slowly disbursed as the quasi leaders of Iron-town made their way to the hall were Gendo still rested.
“Is no one worried about Eboshi?” asked San quietly to Ashitaka, as they made their way. “She is due tomorrow isn't she?”
“They're not worried because Jiggo is with her, and about 30 of his best men.” replied Ashitaka.
“Joggo?”
Sans expression soured slightly as she remembered the monk.
“That little weasel, why would they trust him?”
“Because Eboshi trusts him.” replied Ashitaka evenly. “He is greedy, but that's what makes him reliable, Eboshi also knows that he would never go against the emperor. That's why she specifically asked for him when organising to meet with the emperors council.”
San thought about this for a second, she still couldn't understand why anyone could hold such infallible loyalty to one man, this “emperor”, especially someone like Jiggo.
“I'll never understand humans” San said, giving up. Ashitaka smiled at his beloved.
“That is why I will always trust you” he said simply.
 
Soon everyone was seated around a table within the communal hall, Gendo still dozing to one side next to the fire. Around the table sat Koroku, Toki, Gonza, Ashitaka and Washu, San and Kaji were over by their brother. Koroku had a rough Idea of what had been going on thanks to Tokis, “answering” of his confused looks. She had calmed down a bit now though, but still remained overly cool to her husband to mask her relief in having him safe.
“So Koroku what exactly happened?” asked Ashitaka.
 
Koroku began to explain the last two days events, occasionally interrupted by “hhmpphs” from Toki who was otherwise rather well behaved. Apparently the strangers had appeared after nightfall the night before. They had completely bypassed the lookouts posted, and the men of Iron-town suddenly, and literally, found themselves with strangers amongst them. After the initial shock they identified themselves as hunters passing through, after being questioned they stated that they had been given permission by the Wolf clan, which had been enough for Koroku, who then invited them to join them for the evening. This generating some eye rolling from Toki.
“You invite strangers into your camp?” she said, exasperated.
“There was no reason to believe that they were hostile, plus we still kept our watch” countered Koroku.
He continued to state how they joined in for dinner, adding some interesting foreign spices to the mix, apparently Koroku had gotten on well with one of them, a man calling himself Kagato, exchanging stories about their lives.
“Did you tell him anything of Iron-town?” asked Toki sharply
“Nothing important, or at least nothing they couldn't find out about themselves.” Koroku replied sheepishly.
“What did he say about himself” asked Ashitaka, from the other side of the table.
Koroku explained that they said that they came from for to the north, they were travellers and hunters, simply wishing to explore and catch game.
“Hmm what type of game?” speculated Gonza thoughtfully.
“Oh I forgot” said Koroku suddenly. “They wanted to trade for some extra rice we had, so the gave me a small pouch of there spices for a bag, not bad ha.” said Koroku proudly, Toki gave him a dark look.
“I didn't think it was a fare trade but he insisted… anyway the bag has a symbol of his tribe on it” said Koroku, getting up and going off to his small satchel in the corner.
“Why would they advertise themselves like that?” asked Gonza.
“They must think that someone in Iron-town will recognise the symbol, and that will help keep us from facing them.” offered Ashitaka.
“They did seem to recognise your name Gonza.” stated Koroku from the corner. This caused Gonza to inflate with pride, a particular arrogant smirk forming on his face.
“Your incompetence has become legendary” stated Toki coolly, causing the large worrier to grumble and give her a dark look, and causing Washu to giggle a bit.
Koroku returned and dropped the satchel on the table, it was a nondescript satchel tied together with a simple string, though it looked basic it was obvious it was very sturdy, and of good quality. All leaned forward for a closer look. The symbol on the site was a black circle with a red wave resembling an elongated S crossing it a 45 degrees.
“The Muyo clan?” gasped Gonza.
“Who are they?” asked Toki impatiently, the symbol meaning nothing to her.
“They are the best worrier in all the lands” replied Gonza, not taking his eyes off the symbol “Very dangerous mercenaries, with no loyalty but to the highest dollar.” his voice was a little unsure, as if simply talking about them intimidated him.
“It is a good thing we did not face them, they are ruthless killers.” finished Gonza.
“I think they prefer the term… efficient” Interjected Washu.
“What would you know about these people?” responded Gonza angrily.
“Because I am a member of that clan” Washu responded evenly. Gonza visibly tensed, though he knew that Eboshi had vouched for Washu personally.
“Well perhaps you can enlighten us further then” he offered in a hostile tone, though his guard was now up, and he shifted position to be more prepared if Washu did anything, knowing that the woman of the clan where just as dangerous as the men, if not more.
“It is true that my clan is famous for being mercenaries, but we are far from killers.” Washu began. “As most of the Emperors bodyguards are from our clan it is clear our loyalty to him is without question. We are also quite selective about what type of jobs we accept, members of our clan can only select missions approved by the Emperors council.” she said.
“Are you telling me that Eboshi and Iron-town are on the Emperors hit-list?” asked Toki, shocked.
Washu grinned for a second. From the fire San and her brothers sat in silence listening patiently.
“Lord Asano is quite powerful, and Iron-town does not have a loud voice, and noted for its independence from the Empire.” replied Washu. “It would not be to hard to organise.”
“Eboshi knew this, that is why she had organised to meet with the Emperors council to see if she could not gain favour for Iron-town” said Ashitaka.
“If she where successful, wouldn't that invalidate the contract on Eboshi?” asked Koroku suddenly.
“Naturally, however this information would have to be received by my clansmen first. Under the circumstances there would be no dishonour in finding this out after the fact.”
“Surely you can go out and talk to them,” said Toki to Washu. Washu looked thoughtful for a second.
“Kagato and I did not part on good terms, plus the man is arrogant and greedy, from what I have seen I would say there are about 80 people on this contract”
“80!?” interrupted Gonza, the thought of 80 Muyo fighters around Iron-town scaring him more then an entire army of lord Asano's men.
“I would estimate about that much… that is a lot of money. Lord Asano must be getting desperate” Washu mused. “And I know Kagato. He wont abandon that amount of money without infallible proof, because he knows he can get away with it.” Washu finished up.
“Why are you telling us all this?” asked Gonza. “There is no way we can trust you and your loyalties”
Washu gave him a calm smile
“Why would I lie when the truth is so effective?” she asked rhetorically. “Informing you not to get in the way saves not only your lives but those of my clansman, there is nothing you or I can do, Kagato has Iron-town surrounded, and far down the valley his other men sit in ambush.”
“And what of your loyalty to Lady Eboshi?” asked Toki. “Are you simply going to abandon her?”
“Not at all, I do not wish Eboshis demise, far from it, though it is unlikely that any advise I would give would be taken on face value”
“What are the chances of sneaking past Kagatos men to warn Eboshi?” asked Ashitaka suddenly. Washu looked at the young man thoughtfully for a second, wording her response carefully.
“It would be very risky” she finally said. “Kagato knows you have a wolf and elk that can travel with speed across ice, he would be prepared for that. And he would now consider Iron-town well and truly warned, anyone trying to escape would be tracked and cut down, if that were the only means.”
Ashitaka listened carefully, Washu had taken on a serious expression, watching the young prince think.
“Kagato is very dangerous, his skill is only matched by his arrogance” she offered finally. Ashitaka looked at her for a second, then nodded his gratitude. Around the table everyone was lost in their own thoughts
“Thank you Washu, I hope you know I mean no disrespect if I ask that you remain under guard until Eboshis return.” stated Ashitaka calmly.
“Naturally… I will gather a few belongings” stated Washu getting up.
 
Gonza called out to the guards just outside the meeting hall, after entering, they escorted Washu to her room, but not before she formally said goodbye to all in the room. Just before she left however Washu turned to make one more comment to Ashitaka.
“Please try not to hurt them to much” she said simply.
 
Soon the group was left on their own again, Gonza being the first to speak, his usual aggression deflated by the realisation of what they were up against.
“It is almost dark, what are we going to tell the people.”
“We must tell them the truth?” replied Toki, headstrong.
“They will want to fight, they can not win against these people.” countered Gonza.
“And what about Eboshi? Are you just going to abandon her?” retorted Toki raising from her seat a little
“I promised Eboshi I would take care of the people of Iron-town, I will not see them slaughtered” responded Gonza also getting up a bit.
“You are both right” stated Ashitaka calmly, the other two turning to face him.
“And we will do both” he added.
Both Toki and Gonza sat back down, looking at Ashitaka expectantly.
 
Authors notes:
 
 
[[[Again you will probably recognise the two knew characters names, and this time they are quite `in character', but I still say it's not a cross over, as they are restricted to the Mononoke universes physics, he he plus they're so cute, hope you like anyway, ;-)]]]