Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Initial D Fan Fiction ❯ Initial D: Anything Goes Drift Racing ❯ Ryoga vs Ranma; Part 1 ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Initial D: Mt Furinken. Anything Goes Drift Racing.

Chapter 7: Ryoga vs Ranma; Part 1.

In the clear early evening air the first few racers of Mt Furinken gathered to admire each others finely tuned machines before challenges were issued and stakes were lain down and as other racers arrived so the friendly rivalry atmosphere grew. It was an atmosphere familiar to most mountain racers where challenges were always competitive but good natured and no matter what quarrels may exist outside the course no challenge was malicious, no battle in hate or anger and no victory or loss taken in bad humour beyond acceptance.

But tonight something had changed, there was something in the air corrupting the atmosphere, someone who's motive was not a friendly rivalry but malicious intent and all knew it came drifting on the wind like a bad smell from the lone figure parked across the launch strip. The car was big and powerful like it's driver the original bodywork long lost under fibreglass panels and carbon fibre wings, the car painted black with white over the much widened wheel arches and the large white square on each door framing the racing number, 8. The only other marks Toyota brand sponsorship stickers across the bonnet and rear window and though the car was familiar to many as that of the pro drifter Kawaiiga Hibiki the current driver was not but they all recognised the hate and sarcastic sense of self importance that poured from him and leaving almost a bad taste in the air.

One person did recognise him immediately however as he arrived in convoy with Edy, Sakura and Neji and he too could sense the un-comfortableness around him but he also knew who it was aimed at. Ranma stepped from his car and began to approach Ryoga standing defiantly in the centre of the road.

"Ranma Soatome, I was beginning to think you wouldn't show." Ryoga sounded even more cocky than usual and Ranma didn't like it.

"Ryoga." He said acknowledging his old adversary with care. "What are you here for?"

"To challenge you Ranma, to defeat you as is my destiny." Ryoga was almost spitting as he shouted. Ranma sighed, at least he felt on familiar ground with Ryoga.

"Fine but," Ryoga interrupted before Ranma could finish.

"The terms Ranma, if you loose you will give Akane to me and leave, forever." Ranma felt his blood begin to boil, since Ryoga had disappeared to train himself Ranma had had a fairly stress free time, Mousse to had disappeared into training and Shampoo too he had seen very little of and even heard someone at school mention a new waiter at the Cafe. Ukyo had been away at some cooking festival and Kuno had been little bother since their race and most importantly he hadn't had an argument with Akane in almost a month and with her growing interest in his new interest they had even gotten a little closer though neither had noticed but now when Ryoga had threatened to take her away he had felt a serious yank in his chest and it made him made.

"You will never win Ryoga." Was all he could respond. Ryoga only smirked.

"We will see Soatome. Get your car." And with that Ryoga opened the door and climbed back into his car ready to manoeuvre it to the start line. Had Ranma looked carefully as Ryoga had climbed in he would have seen a strange square hole through the cars floor in front of the driver's feet but he was too busy calming his mind and readying himself for his most important race yet and was only vaguely aware of Edy beside him and answered his questions almost on autopilot.

"Who is this guy?"

"Someone very dangerous."

"Dangerous, in what way."

"Unstable, convinced I'm to blame for his crappy life and strong enough to flip that car down the mountain with one hand."

"Do you know that car belongs to a famous pro racer? If she's trained him."

"It will make no difference, he will loose."

"You sure."

"I can't loose."

"You mean like with Kuno?"

"No. That was just pride, this race has everything at stake."

"Everything?"

"Everything I am, everything I have, everything I, I love."

Ranma looked up from the driving seat at Edy's serious face looking down through the window and there was silence as they stared at each other. Edy looked away, across at the black Toyota.

"I have only this to say, that car is set up like no drift car I have ever seen it's more like a dragster if he really is any good he will use a style I've never seen and I have no idea what it could be, so be careful. And good luck." He added. Ranma only nodded, too focused on the course now to reply properly but he smiled slightly then the engine started and the car trundled slowly down the road to line up next to Ryoga.

The ultimate subject of the race was herself present that night though neither knew it, standing at the tunnels exit bend with her sister. Akane turned to Nabiki,

"Why did you bring me again?"

"Because I think you'll enjoy the race tonight." Akane frowned, she knew her sister would say little more.

"And you're here because?" Nabiki waved her left hand holding a large pile of money and her right holding her betting records book. Akane only stared unsurprised and uninterested at her.

"Of course. So who's racing." She asked expecting no reply.

"Ranma." Nabiki said, Akane suddenly become more attentive,

"If this is another blackmail or" She began but Nabiki stopped her.

"Please like I'd do something like that. I just thought you'd be interested since his opponent is Ryoga. He dropped by earlier looking for you and mentioned he was going to challenge Ranma tonight." Akane looked up the mountain now, worried. Something hadn't felt right since she'd arrived, she knew firsthand the harshness of their rivalry and Ryoga's repetitive attempts to beat Ranma one way or another which always ended in trouble.

She'd defiantly begun to feel more comfortable with Ranma recently without all the usual interruptions and she even thought her cooking was beginning to improve a little, Ranma hadn't even commented when he'd eaten the last batch of rice balls she'd made and though they may not have looked pretty he also hadn't been ill afterwards.

But now she was concerned, one of those distractions was back and she felt a storm brewing, a big one after such a long time but this wasn't like martial arts. You hit someone with your fist and you may leave a bruise, you hit them with a car and you'll kill them and Akane did not want to see Ranma in an accident. She knew though it was too late to stop them when she felt the slight wind die away, everything was still even the road seemed to hold its breath, everything was quite like a big blanket had just been laid over the world and she said to herself.

"The calm before the storm." And then the calm was broken as the sound of engines roaring away together and tyres squealing in protest floated down over the mountain side and a wave of dread washed over her, her arms hugging tight round herself her own voice murmuring out of her own control.

"Ranma please, be careful."